Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm huge into music and I've been paying for Spotify for over 2 years. Totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

fivre posted:

Did a recent Spotify update disable click-through, i.e. clicking on an element in the application does not perform the action of that element, it only focuses the application?

This is how, if I remember correctly, how all Mac applications work, and technically better from a UX theory standpoint, but very annoying in Windows and Linux, where it's different from the behavior of every other goddamn application, which is a much worse crime.

Namely, my most common interaction with Spotify, double-clicking a track to switch to it, now has the awesome behavior of focusing the app with whatever track I had previously selected still highlighted, and then starting from the beginning of that track. Which, I guess, is actually two bugs, since that second click should count as selecting the track I did click on, not a double click.

Thanks, Spotify.

I've had Spotify for two years and I have no clue what you're going on about.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Torka posted:

I just got into Spotify Premium and it's great but I don't understand how it's profitable for anyone at the price they're charging me.

There are no radio-like mechanics like Last.fm has where you only get limited skips and can't request a specific song on demand, it's literally just a search engine of almost any song or album I can think of that isn't super obscure, streaming at 320kbps. How can they do that for $12 a month? Somebody's getting the shaft here and it isn't me.

Spotify pays out the majority (approaching 70%) of ALL of our revenue (advertising and subscription fees) to rights holders: artists, labels, publishers, and performing rights societies (e.g. ASCAP, BMI, etc.). In just three years since launching, Spotify has paid out over 500M USD in royalties.

Spotify has direct agreements with record labels, digital distributors, aggregators and publisher collecting societies, to whom we regularly pay royalties, and who then pay recording artists and songwriters according to their specific contractual agreements.

These agreements are subject to strict confidentiality requirements, but we recommend that artists reach out to their distributors to better understand the specific economics that apply to them.

In general, however, Spotify pays royalties in relation to an artist's popularity on the service. For example, we will pay out approximately 2% of our gross royalties for an artist whose music represents approximately 2% of what our users stream. A popular song or album can generate far more revenue for an artist over time than it historically would have from upfront unit sales.

In just three years since launching in select countries, we’ve already paid out royalties of more than $500 million USD. These royalty payouts are growing dramatically each year, reflecting our rapidly increasing popularity.

(read more...)

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
What radio is better? Spotify or Pandora?

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Brock Landers posted:

Pandora. Hands down.

That's what I've always thought.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
How do you organize your music? I've had Spotify for 3 years and I love it, however I can't seem to find an effecient way to manage and organize my music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Rexides posted:

Oh who cares about the new UI for the client, here, have a Spotify client that looks like Winamp.

(only premium accounts supported, it was written by a Spotify employee so you can trust it even though it is not officially supported by Spotify)

Wow, this is beautiful. Thanks for the share!

Now what's all the discussion about the new Spotify update? I haven't gotten it yet, but a new design sounds great.

• Locked thread