Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Lunael posted:

Added 70's top 100:
http://open.spotify.com/user/lunsku/playlist/4Kksof18dgCsOxOjROBcU3
http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/5932-top-100-albums-of-the-1970s/

Lot's of obvious poo poo missing from Spotify - Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin as the main offenders. But we have them on our shelf already, right?

I don't know about you, but those would be the first I would put on my list. Even though I'm not a big fan of either, I would try and aim for the 50-somethings with money. It's shocking how many of them do not have records from their youth and would like to listen to them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Charlie Mopps posted:

The desktop version stops playing when you start the mobile version, so i would guess the same would be true for two desktop accounts.

correct, i did notice however that playback on desktop + mobile phone on the same wireless works like a charm.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

sweek0 posted:

I can't wait for some Spotify alternatives to come out in Europe.

there will be one, it will only be available in bulgaria on a wednesday in a leap year, cause that's the only way you can get started due to the licensing mess that is europe.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

afaik: The labels have been demanding more money cause their (spotify) revenue has gone up, ignoring the fact that they still do not turn a profit.

"Free" Spotify with your mobile is becoming a thing here too.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

webmeister posted:

Spotify just launched in Australia this morning and I've been playing around with it. It seems interesting so far, any tips for a first-time user?

Add people with great playlists and get the share my playlists app and other suggestion apps to find these people. This way you'll discover tons of music and cool playlists.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

you mean the new preview?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Svartvit posted:

However, I do believe that the Spotify team have released a beta of the next very much improved version under the table somewhere so you could check it out.

you can get the improved version here: http://www.spotify.com/us/download/previews/

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

they say it's coming, it's not yet available in this version. Neither is last.fm scrobbling.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 4, 2012

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

So many things should be on the service, but quite a few artists/labels are not convinced about the profitability of the service (and others like it).

edit: other services do have some "upload your own songs" feature: deezer, icloud and google music come to mind.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

in the category mislabeled albums:
http://open.spotify.com/album/2R013nvVq26eI3nUS6ooXl

they switched the discs on this one, this was a fun one to discover. :)

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

the new android app is now live:
http://www.spotify.com/uk/blog/archives/2012/06/12/slicker-faster-better-the-new-android-app-is-here/

edit:
gently caress YES, PLAYLIST FOLDERS!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Charlie Mopps posted:

But still no support for local files it seems? Even the Symbian version supported local mp3 files.

I think the idea is to manage them with spotify, but you can't set where to put these files.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Quandary posted:

If I add my local files to spotify on my PC is there any way I can get spotify to upload them and allow me to play them on my other computer/phone/whatever?

Sorry no, but deezer does have this option.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 13, 2012

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

sweek0 posted:

Or am I misunderstanding the question?

yes you are, he want's to upload them to a central server so he can play his files to all devices he has spotify installed on.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

DanManIt posted:

At first I wasn't really that into Spotify.

Then I found out about all of the user playlists and now it is AWESOME. Rolling Stones Top 500 Songs and an electronic one that is updated on a daily basis has made spotify a program that I will definitely keep.

yeah, spotify really starts to shine if you plug into the large amount of user playlists that are around. I've got one that has 800 subscribers now, it's crazy.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

i've had some problems here in the netherlands during the weekend, but they're over now.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 26, 2012

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

there's also a sharemyplaylists app on most mobile platforms, it's not perfect but it makes it a bit easier to find playlists on the go.

edit:
the updated search also finds playlists by people that are not in your friendslist. There's no rating or anything attached though, so it's a bit of a stab in the dark.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 2, 2012

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

^ That was my understanding as well, but I occasionally get 'linked' tracks even on though I've removed all local files from Spotify.

Is it maybe also an indication that there are alternate versions available to stream?

Yes, i've got a dutch account and sometimes a playlist made by a brit is half chain-links cause the particular version they used isn't available, but the same version is available on a different album (or a different version of the same album, i'm getting that a lot as well.).

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

of course, but that's half the fun of making lists :-)

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

there's only one album on spotify right now, perhaps the deal ran out and they will be added in a few days again. it has happened before and it will happen again unless they streamline this poo poo.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Undead Zombie posted:

Looks like you can sign up for Spotify again without going through Facebook. At the sign up page near the bottom there is a link to sign up using an email address. It lets you pick a Spotify username and password so you don't need to gently caress around with German proxies anymore if you don't want Facebook or you don't want to share everything on Facebook.

This is excellent news.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I just got the spotify social update, so far I'm mosty amused by the suggestions of people to follow, but it's a step up from the Spotify of old.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Zorkon posted:

The new album page layout makes classical music pieces incredibly obnoxious to find.

Which brings it in line with the mobile app, I guess.

Even the dutch national music library is a bitch about this and you'd expect librarians to be total geeks about this sort of thing.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I'm sure that the fear among labels about creating another iTunes-like behemoth that will dictate how the music business works is playing into the whole license kerfuffle as well.

Apart from that there's some labels that are not that keen on streaming, some will just yank everything from the service and publicly complain about the whole streaming business. They get quoted a lot by people who love to write about "that drat internets, ruining everything" and then come back a few months later, without much fanfare.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

precision posted:

What are some bands that have been taken off? I can't think of a single one I've seen that's been yanked from streaming.

Due to the way the music business works hardly any artist has full control of their catalog, exceptions (from the top of my head) are David Bowie, The Beatles and Metallica. So you're mostly seeing certain parts of the discography not being available. Best example: Aerosmith, because they moved between labels a lot. Another good example is the holding company STHoldings who yanked about 200 sublabels from Spotify (since re-added).

Another example is the Popol Vuh discography. It was all available, but then it disappeared. All that remains is one compilation album, Revisited and Remixed.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 31, 2013

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Tennis' first album isn't there, but their second (worse) one is for who knows what reason.

It is still available in The Netherlands, Four Tet is still MIA.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Yeah, Spotify really need to get working on that "different artists with the same name" problem, Don't know about Deezer, RDIO and other services.
Last.fm has the added bonus of pointless arguing in the comments (see: Dio for the most asinine version cause there's a dutch rapper with the same name).

Musicbrainz has the best solution: it gives all artists an unique ID and then gives you a field to clarify why the artist is different in a single sentence.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

for those who are missing the "what's new" tab: Tunigo was aquired by Spotify last year and it looks like their app is currently being retooled to replace that function (among other things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Another Person posted:

Really, they also need a new tier to charge (logically, $15) for as well, but I cannot think of what that tier would get you. They kind of need to if they plan to continue working. Maybe split Premium up into other things.

15€ for a Family Plan, I would like that.

• Locked thread