Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Don't know how long the Spotify guys are going to look at multiple registrations from one IP block and the same postal code... :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

optiuum posted:

edit: nvm, i forgot that sawful charges for pm

This combined with your post above just proves that you are a cheap bastard.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Lor posted:

Has anyone noticed in the past few weeks that there are certain adverts which automatically bring Spotify to the foreground on your computer?

Nope, not happening on mine (Mac OS, Windows XP). Could be Windows 7 fuckery. Try with another computer?

ommikoo posted:

The iPhone app still needs work, though. For example, you can't queue tracks or have the music play in the background while you use other apps. But yeah, well worth the €10 a month even as it is now.

Err, that'd be because the iPhone doesn't do multitasking. You can do what you say on the S60 version.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Just came back from France. They don't get half the stuff I tried to listen to that I do get in the UK. That's really unfortunate. I'd love to see some sort of list but I suppose that's business confidential.

I'd pay Premium money if it meant they'd implement a "report song" function like GBS-FM had/has and fixed the dates on albums. The errors in song titles and dates drive me crazy and I'm not even remotely OCD.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

They're really changing things around.

I am still waiting for a Report song for being mistagged button though.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dorepoll posted:

Isn't this the service where Lady Gaga was paid $160 for one million plays?

Yes. How much did YouTube play her? Oh right.

(The big record companies did a deal with Spotify in return for equity, resulting in pretty opaque payout terms and less money for the big, signed artists than possibly could be).

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

You can bet that they have procedures in place blocking constant listening like that from being counted.

Thing is you may have spent more money on bands' drinks, but they also got a cut of the ticket price, etc. If you compare the money artists make on radio plays in different countries it's not too far off the couple of cents a pop.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dorepoll posted:

Youtube isn't trying to be replace iTunes. Spotify is marketed as a desktop media player, and is directly linked to the labels.

I see your point, but there are going to be people that use Spotify instead of iTunes because they see it as a legitimate media player that happens to have every song on it for free.

Artists are free to take issue with the payment model with their labels then, considering those labels have large equity shares in Spotify inc LLC whateveritis. They're the ones to talk to. Individual artists repping themselves and putting their material available on Spotify can and do negotiate their own rates.

And people listen to music off of YouTube a lot more than you think they do.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Eight Is Legend posted:

Yeah, I get that, but I'm just wondering why no one else here have complained about this problem and figured I was missing something.

Because they are a) not in a useless country or b) have read the instructions, and circumvent this issue using them.

edit: typo

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 31, 2010

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Mega Boris posted:

Signed up for Open. Its pretty awesome. Noticed though some tracks use 'replacements' which arent the same at all. Is it same on Spotify Free?

What do you mean? There are artists who have not consented to their music being on Spotify, but tribute acts that do appear. Is this what you refer to?

edit: VVVV eh what? Nothing like that on mine. The artist is always labeled as "xxx tribute" or something. got a title in mind I could check?

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 8, 2010

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

defmacro posted:

I used bc6C4EMrW87PRLXb. Thanks for the invites!

Edit: Furthermore, I tried to use another to sign up a friend and it looks as though both of the above deluges of invites are taken.

Yeah, while it's regrettable that people don't post to let others know when they've used invites, what the hell are you doing leeching off the goodwill of SA members for the benefit of some random?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

What I am confused about is how poo poo their metadata seems to be, considering they must get at least some of that info from labels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

slowdave posted:

But Grooveshark is terrible...?

As is Deezer. Jesus, what a lovely system.

• Locked thread