Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there a spotify remote that isn't terrible? I'd like to plug my laptop into the stereo and use my iphone to control what plays so I don't have to get up and walk over to the computer all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I ended up snagging this:

http://www.spotremote.com/

It gives you access to your playlists and you can search (no related artists though bummer). I think you do have to have premium for it to work for whatever reason.

How do you folks organize your songs? I'm just coming off iTunes and I used smart playlists to basically do "stuff that's new" "stuff I've listened to a lot recently" etc...With spotify it looks like it's all manual...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

isomerc posted:

I would kill for my car to be a bit more friendly to media devices. All I have is a CD player and no input jack. I got a really good deal on the car, otherwise I would have insisted on an input or USB jack. Something like Spotify on my iPhone while driving, especially with dictation would make driving an absolute dream.

Yeah serious. I'm stuck burning discs like a chump.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

isomerc posted:

They never seem to work. Also, I'm kind of an audio perfectionist. If I'm 45 minutes into a mix and it skips right at a crucial part, I'd throw it out of the window. I mean I'm open to try a decent one, since the ones I've used are all lovely Walmart ones. Any suggestions?

They usually sound like rear end too. Like a radio I guess.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Admin Understudy posted:

I wish it would display your listening trends in a more readable way, something more akin to last.fm. Clearly it records the same type of data but the only spot I know where I can check it is Facebook and it does a terrible job of cataloguing the music I listen to.

And I know I can sync my last.fm account to it, but I've more or less abandoned last.fm because it's overwhelmed with entries from 7 years ago when I thought every playlist needed a song by The Shins.

You can just tell it to remove the Shins from your library. Mine was like that for a while because I listened to Rilo Kiley nonstop for some reason.

I wish your play queue was shared between computers...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How often do your top artists/songs get updated? Because my top artist and all my top songs have been Grimes for like forever and I'm pretty sure I dont listen to her *that* much.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So there's no way to see related artists on the iPhone app right?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

MMD3 posted:

wow, these all sound like great updates, anticipating this muchly, thanks.

Ya serious the album thing is going to be great. If its exactly as I am imagining it to be.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Our father who art in----WUBWUBWUB

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Does anyone's Spotify just totally poo poo out at random? It'll sound like the song is buffering a whole ton even though my internet is fine.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

me your dad posted:

I got an update for the Spotify channel on my Roku 2 just now. I opened the channel, hoping for new features, and it promptly rebooted my Roku.

Does anyone know what the update contained?

Hopefully it fixes its propensity to play like, 1 second of a song...pause...1 second...pause...until you unplug the Roku and plug it back in.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Tennis' first album isn't there, but their second (worse) one is for who knows what reason.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Just use the last fm plugin for discovering stuff.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

http://open.spotify.com/user/appropriatemetaphor/starred

It's mostly stuff that's like vaguely beachy, shoegazey, and girls as singers.

I use it in the car and on the bike as my go to rando list.

Edit: Why does it only show 30? I have like 400 something in the reality.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 4, 2013

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

me your dad posted:

Does anyone know what bitrate comes through on the Roku channel?

Like negative a million, my roku always shits out on me v:shobon:v

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah it just picks random stuff regardless of what came before.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Pavement would have a smell though, some next order playlist generation. But yeah I just toss everything into starred, or "PUT ON PHONE" for stuff I want to listen to in the car or walking around or whatever.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

This is why I still use itunes and rely on streaming services as try before you buy option. They don't give you any meaningful way to manage the music you star, which means you're just playing from oceans of varying sizes.

Edit: For me, the way I use itunes is drastically different than the way I use any streaming service.

I just kinda look up bands I want to listen to, as if my "library" is just the whole of spotify. But I kinda tend to listen to whole albums in a go.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Dangerous Mind posted:

How does the Offline Mode work exactly and can I use it when I have no internet connection? For example, I set one of my playlists to Offline Mode on my laptop, let the ~100 tracks sync, but when I get to work and start up Spotify and try to listen to that play list (no internet connection there) none of my songs are available to listen to. What gives? :argh:

It sounds like you're downloading the songs to your laptop, and then expecting them to magically appear on some random other computer that has no internet connection?

And yeah premium is great just for the ability to download stuff to your phone and use in the car and on the metro and stuff.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Wait what's the point of "offline mode" anyway? Like what does it even do? If you've got some tracks synced they'll play regardless of whether you're on or offline.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah but can't you just hit the little "available offline" slider in the playlist itself? Or does offline mode just sync all your playlists?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Rexides posted:

There is another artist called "Drake" and this was probably a mix-up.

Yeah Spotify constantly shoves artists of the same name together. I love getting the "hey some group you like has a new track!" message, and then I play the song and it's not what I expected at all!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Tried Rdio out briefly, I like the Collections thing and the mobile ap looks nicer. Buuut, I searched for a few bands and one was missing entirely, another had only the latest album, and the last was missing a couple eps. So yeah I guess the library is smaller for like, less popular more recent bands?

This is based on like, a couple minutes of searching though and may not hold true for someone else's bullshit indie bands.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

bpower posted:

Is it possible to switch between bit rates while listening to a song?

Relating to this, if you have streaming bit rate set higher than the download one, will the higher streaming bit rate override when you're on wifi? I have dl set lower to save space,,,

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So the updated ios player takes away the ability to just tap the album cover to get info (like if you want to quickly star something while driving), and makes you hit a tiny little info button instead...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Skeezy posted:

What exactly is the appeal of this Your Music/Collections thing? What makes it different than folders+playlists?

It's easier to scroll through some pictures of albums than to scroll through a huge text list.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Skeezy posted:

So my partner just put it simply for me "Spotify just wants your music to look like it would in iTunes or something"

She's also annoyed that they removed the stars.

gg spotify :allears:

Yeah I don't get why they took starring out. I used my starred list mostly for the car where I want a string of "stuff I like" for forever.

I mean you can still add thing to the playlist, but it's just not the same.

PaganGoatPants posted:

We had that with Album View till they removed it. Go figure. :iiam:

Ah the old days!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

thetedster posted:

Try searching "label:"slumberland"".

Whoa.

No more checking label websites like a shmuck.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Imapanda posted:

I might just be picky though. I +vote individual songs I like, not entire albums that has like 2 songs I like.

Some people want a way to save albums they like (Collections) while also maintaining the ability to easily flag songs they really like (stars).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I have the mac version and I have the import button. I'm .9.10.14.g578d350b though.

It can take a sec to come up sometimes, like it has to load who knows what.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm the same. I like having access to a bunch of stuff I've never even heard of before. Obviously that would still happen in Amazon's service, but it wouldn't be as frequent. The discover feature is kinda garbage sometimes but I still like having it for when it actually does send cool stuff your way.

Hook up last.fm.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Whoa whoa, don't want to overdo it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It's got its problems, like sometimes it goes to the next song but there's no sound. So you have to restart the song then it works. Other than that I don't have any complaints.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think you can only do shuffle play on phones? It's always done that for me, anyway. The dumbest thing is when you want to listen to a playlist with less than 20ish songs, then Spotify just adds poo poo of it's own accord. Plus you can't listen to the stuff from Your Music and sometimes it hiccups when your connection fluctuates and stops for minutes at a time unless you just restart your phone. The phone app can be kinda bad in general, really.

You can definitely listen to your my music albums and playlists in the correct order, you sure you don't just have shuffle on?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How does spotify decide what your "most listened to" albums are? Like it seems like stuff I listen to a whole ton isn't at the top...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Can I turn off Spotify Connect? It's annoying.

dunno, but found out that if you want to control your phone from your computer, you have to use the beta version of the desktop app.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i want to work on the laptop but have something plugged into the real speakers

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

cebrail posted:

All of that is utter poo poo. Playlists are the only thing that make the Spotify app usable at all.

it's good if you listen to whole albums

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

minimizing what icon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

^^^
naw it just looks a little different

Mr E posted:

Minimizing to the notification icon instead of the taskbar icon, it's a small thing that was something I really liked.

ah okay, windows thing.

if spotify is poo poo, what are the alternatives? i tried rdio briefly but it was missing almost everything i listen to.

• Locked thread