Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Am I missing something extremely obvious or with the new update/Unlimited is it literally impossible to just listen to a single album without making it a Playlist? I can't find any way to make it stop without going on to the band's next album, which I don't like for when I'm putting on music to go to sleep to.

I also can't figure out how to get it to just play the "Spotify version" of an album when I have it in a format that the player doesn't like. Should I just remove those from my library or what? They play just fine in Winamp, but not in Spotify. :iiam:

I do hope they find a way to make Drag City happy enough to get their albums online. I don't have anywhere near to all the Will Oldham stuff I used to, and I miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eight Is Legend posted:

Click on the name of the album on the artist profile.

That's what I was doing, and why I was so confused why that wasn't working any more!

However, as of last night (and another new update) it has fixed itself, so I have no idea what was going on there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

89 posted:

What happens when I follow Artists?

They show up in your "Follow" tab and has your Facebook "follow" (but not "like") them if you've linked it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sweek0 posted:

Does it inform you when there's new material by them on Spotify? That's the only reason I would want to follow a band.

I think so? I had Low's new album pop up on my Recommended page last night, which seems to have been right as it was put on Spotify.

e: Wait, it definitely does - I just remembered that the other day I got some Notifications about a ton of "new" Legendary Pink Dots albums. So yeah.

precision fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 26, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Superanos posted:

They actually rewrote a lot of things entirely in this latest update (version 0.8.8). The new white artist pages are webpages displayed in a Chrome-based browser inside the Spotify client.

Why the hell did they do this?! I guess that explains why everything is so much noticeably slower now. Maybe since I actually pay for Spotify they'll care if I send them negative feedback...

Don't cock up a good thing, drat it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What are some bands that have been taken off? I can't think of a single one I've seen that's been yanked from streaming.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fivre posted:

The new band I found has the same name as some random Dutch band (also the same name as a well-covered song), and each band only has one, self-titled album.

The album page for the first, if you can get to it, has all its own tracks, then all its own tracks again as additional tracks, then all the other band's tracks.

Shockingly, Spotify does differentiate between "dub jazz band HiM" and "lovely Norweigan band HIM", but it's unnecessarily hard to find the former's page even though they were releasing albums with that name quite a few years before the latter band.

I get irrationally mad at how few bands bother using Google before they name themselves. See also: Ghost. There are like five bands named Ghost now. (The "good" one isn't on Spotify because they're on Drag City. Seriously, knock it off, Drag City.)

Weirdly enough, the Biography page for Rex is accurate, but the album list just shows one record by some weird sub-Evanescance sounding nobody.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I emailed them 2 weeks ago about how MONO's album "For My Parents" was listed as a Single rather than an Album. They emailed back almost immediately and said "Thanks, the info you provided will be used!"

It still hasn't been changed. How hard could that be to do?!

Also, they really need a way to randomize the order of the songs in a Playlist without just hitting Shuffle, because out of 300 Starred songs, if I put it on Shuffle I get the same ones far more often than I should. I'd like to just randomize it and play it straight through.

Or is there a way to do that I'm not seeing?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shifty Pony posted:

Spotify random works the same way as a bunch of programs and even dedicated cd/music players: it just randomized the playlist then inserts it into the queue. If you don't listen to it all the way through every time (or possibly stop and restart play, I know toggling shuffle off and on re-rolls it) it is going to seem to be sticky to certain tracks just out of sheer probability. But the alternative of random-rolling each play would means you could is you could end up with the same track playing 5x in a row.

Really? Because I know for sure that recently I've hit "skip" while playing on shuffle and gotten the same track twice within 10 songs. Unless you're talking about some other random feature that I'm not aware of.

I settled for arranging the list by song name, which at least randomizes the artists pretty well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It literally just means access to count what you listen to towards your Last.fm account as regards "scrobbling", your Last.fm Library, and what Last.fm recommends you.

Last.fm is like the ultimate in pointless awesomeness for music dorks. Somehow the single band I've listened to the most in the past 7 years - and by a margin of like, 100 listens - is Sloan of all people. I mean, I love them, it's true, but the fact they're beating out bands like Spiritualized for me is just weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Superanos posted:

Spotify's new website really sucks. It's even worse because I have the web player activated so it kept giving me that poo poo. Took me a while to find this:
https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

1: Give Spotify feedback about something
2: Report broken songs

I'm convinced this literally never works. For 2 months, I've sent them 4 reports of an album being incorrectly filed as a "Single" rather than an "Album", each time getting a reply email "We'll fix it!"

...it's still not fixed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nomapple posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere that only the label/artist can change tagging on albums etc?

Well then Temporary Residence needs to get on that poo poo! MONO's best album is going unlistened to because it's buried way down on the list. :(

Also kind of stupid if only the label can change something that obvious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blast Fantasto posted:

This is probably a label issue, but it's taking for-loving-ever to get new albums on Spotify lately. I've been waiting on the new National and Vampire Weekend albums for a week.

Yeah a lot of labels simply don't want to put their new stuff up right away. The new Low got added a week or so late, and the latest Dead Can Dance still only has a "sampler" and it's been out for like 6 months now (though their new live album is on there).

e: Also, that Cat Power picture, hahaha.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I stopped paying for Spotify because I was sick of their recent bullshit, and one thing I've noticed is that they now have far less commercials. I don't think I've heard a single one and I've been listening for over an hour at this point. Which begs the question of why I should even pay for Unlimited again, since I only use it on my computer...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Superanos posted:

Audio ads are played after a certain amount of time has passed from the previous audio ad or from Spotify launch. Then, ads are triggered in these conditions:
- A track ends and it is not the last track on your queue.
- You click the "Next" button or use a media key for "Next".
- A Spotify App changes the track.

If you manually double click another song before your current one ends and never let Spotify automatically play something else, you will never hear an ad.

Well, I've been listening to my "Starred Tracks" playlist (400+ songs) on Shuffle for 3 hours now, and I've heard exactly one ad.

When I used the free version last (maybe 6 months ago) I would hear an ad every 20 minutes or so under the same circumstances.

Weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paperback Writer posted:

You might be talking about albums you have that are in a format it doesn't play, like .m4a . At least that's what happens to me sometimes and it's annoying.

It will play .m4a files if you have Quicktime installed, but not if you didn't legally buy them from the iTunes store.

Also, if you rip songs from a CD, sometimes Spotify will refuse to play them because :iiam:

e: Just "unlink" them or, better yet, use Winamp to listen to local files

precision fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 22, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's also annoying that some albums have half the songs greyed out for reasons I can't even figure.

I guess it's something to do with licensing product names and/or samples, because off the top of my head all I can think of are "The Light From Your Mac" by The Rakes and a few Negativland tracks.

It double-sucks because I have that Rakes album on my computer but Spotify refuses to play it even if I unlink it.

Also, that MONO album is still listed as a "single". :suicide:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Discover is usually pretty good but it sometimes does hilarious things by recommending you things just because they have similar names but are musically miles apart.

Like the other day it said "Like Joy Division? Try The Division Bell by Pink Floyd!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I need some more long awesome playlists. Someone post their Starred Tracks?

Here's mine: http://open.spotify.com/user/1242610333/starred

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

appropriatemetaphor posted:

http://open.spotify.com/user/appropriatemetaphor/starred

It's mostly stuff that's like vaguely beachy, shoegazey, and girls as singers.

I use it in the car and on the bike as my go to rando list.

Edit: Why does it only show 30? I have like 400 something in the reality.

Looks about half stuff I already love and half I've never heard of, thanks.

Also I just noticed several really awesome things on my list have been removed. Spotify! :argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are also artists that do like it because it's better than nothing. By that I mean, pennies on the pound is much better than literally nothing, which these days is what a very large number of people are willing to pay for music. Even the biggest fans of bands are always downloading the album leak instead of waiting for the release and buying it.

It makes me feel old and sad. I actually own a lot of what I listen to on Spotify, for me it's just "easier than finding the record/CD" and hey it gives someone, somewhere a little bit more money than I already paid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I absolutely agree with the whole discovering new artists thing. As much music as I listen to (Last.fm says I've scrobbled over 1,000 unique artists, and that's not counting what has to be another thousand bands I've never listened to on my computer :stare: ) I still find lots of new artists on Spotify.

Bottom line it's a great service and I hope they find a way to make everyone happy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Related Artists also often leads you to things you wouldn't normally look at, especially with smaller bands.

Malcolm XML posted:

This makes spotify even better by comparison so I really dont get why he's bitching unless he's really that dense and can't understand how his own contracts work

The really great thing is how college radio works. Without getting into a big FCC derailment, artists get even less from college radio airplay - in fact they get exactly nothing at all - and college stations can play tracks that commercial stations literally can't.

And guess who's most likely to play Radiohead in the current radio climate? Haha. Thom Yorke, I like your music but you are a silly man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Considering I use Spotify pretty much nonstop whenever I'm online - which is, at minimum, 40-50 hours a week since I'm online at work close enough to 100% of the time as makes no difference - I've often wondered if the $5 a month I'm giving them is functionally doing more good than listening to ads would be. Considering my level of use, I think I wouldn't mind at all paying $20/month for the service. Cable television costs a lot more than that and gives access to a lot less of value to me. Are people really so used to "free music" that they feel like they have to set the bar at $5 for Unlimited? Would people really balk if they had set it at $10 for Unlimited and $15 for Premium, for example?

I'm just thinking they may have shot themselves in the foot when they rolled out the price in the first place and now they "can't" raise the price. I'd really hate for the service to go away. It's actually pretty crazy how much music it gives you access to if you were to compare it to something like Netflix - almost every new album I want to listen to gets put on Spotify, whereas Netflix is lucky to have a show or movie I watched 2 years ago available.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Something like a "benefactor level" which gives you access to a few minor new features and has a built-in clause about how the extra money you're paying goes entirely to keeping labels/artists happy would, I think, actually be pretty effective. We're in the age of people throwing extra money at Kickstarters because they "believe", it doesn't seem to me that odd to have some kind of "Gold level" subscription where they basically say "This level is for people who want to help us not fail and support the musicians more".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's no limit on streaming Free Spotify in the US. I streamed something like 300 hours when I forgot to pay a couple months ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The people who jumped on the Spotify bandwagon for advertising dollars are weird, too. I remember hearing nothing but ads for Advance Auto Parts (I don't even own a car anymore, don't even need to where I live) and Planter's Peanuts (which are admittedly tasty).

Oh, and McDonald's.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Admin Understudy posted:

Is there an explanation somewhere as to why their radio is so terrible at adapting? I know I've read complaints here a dozen times over already for this exact issue, but it's infuriating when I thumbs-down the same artist repeatedly and they keep coming up.

Last.fm had the same exact issue so I'm assuming the answer is that writing truly good algorithms is hard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just want a way to randomize my Starred tracks and keep that randomized list order. I'm sick of putting it on Shuffle and hearing the same 30 songs out of 600 every single time. I don't know if their shuffler is just dumb or if it tries to play things it thinks you want to hear but either way it's horrible, there are huge chunks of the list that I've never had come up on shuffle. Just let me randomize it once and play through the whole thing in sessions. :argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

numbs posted:

How do you organize your music? I've had Spotify for 3 years and I love it, however I can't seem to find an effecient way to manage and organize my music.

Alphabetical isn't good enough? :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samopsa posted:

I tried making playlist when I got spotify, but said gently caress it, and just jammed all tracks I listen to on a regular basis in my starred list, and use the sorting/shuffle options on that.

Same here. I probably wouldn't even use it if not for the Star feature, because Internet Radio Stations always play me poo poo I don't care about. (Now Playing: Artists Similar To Pavement: Lynyrd Skynyrd, "That Smell"). :what:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Imapanda posted:

OP is kind of slim. I just downloaded this for the first time and I'm beginning to get the hang of the UI. Is there any tweaks or recommended apps or just general recommendations to a spotify newbie?

The only one I use is Last.fm, partly out of nostalgia since I used Last.fm itself starting way back in '06 and partly because I'm a dork and like to know who I'm listening to the most. Also sometimes I get drunk and the next day I can look back at what I listened to the night before and go :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Spotify android app is generally pretty awesome (if you have Premium anyway) because poo poo yeah my own radio station without even using an internet connection but...

It's really, intensely loving stupid that if you follow someone's Starred tracks and the "un-Star" a song, it doesn't remove it from your device. :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rexides posted:

Oh who cares about the new UI for the client, here, have a Spotify client that looks like Winamp.

(only premium accounts supported, it was written by a Spotify employee so you can trust it even though it is not officially supported by Spotify)

Holy poo poo, this is amazing. I loving hate how much of a resource hog Spotify is.

Also, the latest patch for the Android app now causes it to sometimes refuse to shut down Spotify unless you restart your phone. :cmon:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I gave up trying to figure it out. Some songs disappeared off Maxinquaye one day, so I figured it was over sampling rights, but the next thing I noticed was a couple random Rakes songs disappeared which don't have any samples, though one of them was "The Light From Your Mac" so I thought "Maybe Apple is mad?"

Now I just don't even try and guess.

Weirder things happen too, like how there are two identical Labradford albums, one properly called "Fixed::Context" and the other one, recently added, called "Fixed : Content".

It's all a bit mad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

me your dad posted:

Amazon launched their streaming music service today, available for Prime subscribers

They've got a one million song catalog, which is puny compared to Spotify. Their stance is that a majority of stuff in the competitor's massive catalog is essentially junk that nobody will listen to.

That is the stupidest goddamn thing I have ever heard. I love Spotify precisely because I can go "oh hey, I feel like listening to that Pell Mell album from like 20 goddamn years ago- oh, it's on Spotify!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FadingChord posted:

Is there a way to disable the Android app from controlling music on other devices in the same Wifi network? At least once a week my phone hijacks my work computer mid-playlist and starts playing something else even though I haven't touched my phone in two or three hours.

I don't think it should be doing that if it's properly synced to your account only? If you mean it's only doing that to your account though, just put your phone into Offline Mode when you're not using it?

• Locked thread