Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Scroto Baggins posted:

Also, gently caress it, there's so much negativity about this movie, I wanted to throw something positive at it, so here:

e: hosed up my link

Is there a photshop filter that does this? Or did this dude actually put in the effort to trace screencaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Is there a photshop filter that does this? Or did this dude actually put in the effort to trace screencaps?

I traced screencaps for the line work, did all the coloring in Photoshop. I find it cathartic.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

boom boom boom posted:

I think it's just a way expressing the concept of "jokes that aren't a woman saying she got goo in her vagina"

that is a pretty lame concept of subtle humor

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what i am finding is that "subtle humor" is very much like "random humor" but instead of random humor just meaning things you don't like subtle humor is things you do like

in other words, they're both meaningless when used by most people

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they prob mean something like egon's she liked my epididymis line

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Every scene with Annie Potts is brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3v_ogRaTf4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Replace 'subtle' with 'conversational', and all of your arguments about humour make a lot more sense. Yes, there was slapstick in the original, but there were also a LOT of really, really good lines. Maybe there'll be that in this one, maybe not. I don't know, I'm not your dad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Every scene with Annie Potts is brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3v_ogRaTf4

I think my favorite thing about Egon is that it's always a little hard to tell when he's being intentionally dense and when he's loving with people.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I think my favorite thing about Egon is that it's always a little hard to tell when he's being intentionally dense and when he's loving with people.

Yet another 'watch Egon' moment, right after Janine says 'I'm afraid you're gonna die', they hug, and he clearly rolls his eyes. Love it.

My favourite as a kid is when the Con Ed man (did Peck call him 'Ensible?' What the hell does that mean?) goes to shut off the containment grid, and Egon mimics the 'boom' to the police officer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm watching gb1 bluray with the commentary on for the first time since the DVD came out way back when and 1) it's bogus that they took out the shadow overlay featuring the 3 commentators on the bluray, 2) Harold Ramis gives Bill Murray an extraordinary amount of respect considering the guy hated his guts apparently.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Replace 'subtle' with 'conversational', and all of your arguments about humour make a lot more sense. Yes, there was slapstick in the original, but there were also a LOT of really, really good lines. Maybe there'll be that in this one, maybe not. I don't know, I'm not your dad.

I mean, you can't really put gags like that in a trailer, is the thing.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

My favourite as a kid is when the Con Ed man (did Peck call him 'Ensible?' What the hell does that mean?) goes to shut off the containment grid, and Egon mimics the 'boom' to the police officer.

"Imbecile". It means "idiot", basically.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oh no, another trailer came out and the movie looks even worse!
I already said the movie was gonna be good and I don't want to lose face by changing my mind, better double down and try to convince people that the greatest paranormal comedy of all time, and one of the greatest films of all time, was actually not that good...

"Yes, kids, you only like Ghostbusters, a film that defined a genre and irrevocably changed the face of American culture, because of nostalgia. If all of you would just grow up and be mature about this, you could laugh at the woman getting puked on by a ghost for what is surely a much longer period of time than was shown in the trailer. You want subtle humor and wordplay? What about when one of the characters wears a goofy wig?
When you think about it, the new Ghostbusters actually looks great when you compare it to the steaming crap-fest that was the original."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

I already said the movie was gonna be good and I don't want to lose face by changing my mind, better double down and try to convince people that the greatest paranormal comedy of all time, and one of the greatest films of all time, was actually not that good...

"Yes, kids, you only like Ghostbusters, a film that defined a genre and irrevocably changed the face of American culture, because of nostalgia. If all of you would just grow up and be mature about this, you could laugh at the woman getting puked on by a ghost for what is surely a much longer period of time than was shown in the trailer. You want subtle humor and wordplay? What about when one of the characters wears a goofy wig?
When you think about it, the new Ghostbusters actually looks great when you compare it to the steaming crap-fest that was the original."

Don't forget that it was also a phenomenal commercial success

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

GB was also a massive box office smash hit, making it the 34th biggest box office hit in film history (adjusted for inflation). Since Ghostbuster's release in 1984 there's only been 10 films that have beat it at the box office.
For the 2016 Ghostbusters to be a comparable box office success to the 1984 film it'd have to make almost as much money as The Avengers did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Applewhite posted:

the best part of the CD cycle.

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013
A fat man yells from behind you "Hey, wait!" You turn your head towards him, but keep walking, uncertain if his nasal cry was aimed at you. "No! You! Wait!", he cries again, dispelling your hopeful uncertainty that he might have dull, lizard eyes fixed on someone, anyone other than you. Now that he's seized your attention, he begins waddling towards you as fast as the jort-clad fat-monoliths he calls legs will carry him. The effort forces the wind out of his body, causing him to pant and fart in equal measure as he approaches. At first, you're skeptical that this monster will be able to reach you at all, but in a matter of mere minutes, he closes the 50m gap. After he's collapsed in front of you, you roll his stinking, sweating meat-boulder of a body face up to prevent him from choking on his own torrents of vomit. Despite your instructions to just focus on breathing, he's desperately forcing weakly spoken words out of his well greased gullet. You lean in as close as your nose and dignity will allow in order to hear what you expect to be the fat man's last words.
"I don't care about Ghostbusters"
"What?"
"I don't care about Ghostbusters. I never saw it and it's poo poo and that's why I'm seeing Ghostbusters"

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I disagree very strongly with Sony's decisions, in particular their decisions to:

1. make a movie not explicitly aimed directly at me
2. cast actors that i do not find amusing or at least sexually appealing
3. not make an embarrassing spectacle featuring an old crazy person and an old completely disinterested person
4. overwrite every existing copy of the original and true ghostbusters

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ALFbrot posted:

I disagree very strongly with Sony's decisions, in particular their decisions to:

3. not make an embarrassing spectacle featuring an old crazy person and an old completely disinterested person

Same, only applied in defense of Adam Sandler's Pixels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Fortunately literally nobody in the thread has said that. I do, however, enjoy the subtle implication that Ghostbusters fans are just too mature to enjoy a joke about someone getting covered with slime.

The original film is almost certainly going to be better (and frankly even if it wasn't my nostalgia says it is but I'm pretty sure it'll be just plain better) but it takes some real stretching to pretend like Ghostbusters wasn't full of of silly slime jokes. Especially if you take literally anything else in the franchise into account. Like the sequel to Ghostbusters, featuring the same cast, has a long ongoing plot about a river of dancing emotion slime.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 9, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Applewhite posted:

Same, only applied in defense of Adam Sandler's Pixels.

*weeps and strokes the cheek of bill murray watercolor*

i'm so sorry they did this to u bill....

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

Like the sequel to Ghostbusters, featuring the same cast, has a long ongoing plot about a river of dancing emotion slime.

... and Egon took a sample home and put his dick in it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My favourite as a kid is when the Con Ed man (did Peck call him 'Ensible?' What the hell does that mean?)

He says "responsible."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

... and Egon took a sample home and put his dick in it.

It was more interested in his epididymis.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
International trailer in full English. This looks much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6jiDdRqeI0

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

International trailer in full English. This looks much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6jiDdRqeI0

Dat relevant Patty scene.

Yeah this is a way better trailer in general.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Oh cool, it's the man that comes up with the idea to actually, you know, bust ghost.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think that's much better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

He says "responsible."

Ok, wow, I just rewatched it, listening really only to Peter, and yeah, that's the end of him saying "We won't be held responsible, no we WON'T be held (Peck: SHUT IT OFF!) responsible!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ALFbrot posted:

this is the second best part of the cycle

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh cool, it's the man that comes up with the idea to actually, you know, bust ghost.

If what I've heard about the plot is true it may be the possession speaking and it's actually not a very good idea he's giving them

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Fortunately literally nobody in the thread has said that.

Guy A. Person posted:

I wish we could go back to the subtle sophisticated humor of the original where the best joke was Bill Murray saying a guy didn't have a dick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That isn't say the original was poo poo because that was in fact the best joke. Seriously, who dislikes "It's true. This man has no dick."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I like that trailer more. I guess I am not a *~True Ghostbusters Fan~* because I don't see this film as materially different from the first one. Like, in the alternate universe where this is the first Ghostbusters movie in the history of history, it's a crazy, fun idea and (hopefully) a funny movie. And then remember that legions of people were not alive for (and are not aware of) the first one and this IS the first Ghostbusters movie for them.

Maxwell Lord with his spoiler tags used appropriately posted:

If what I've heard about the plot is true it may be the possession speaking and it's actually not a very good idea he's giving them

Even better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say it looks weaker overall that the first film to me but... like in terms of Ghostbusters there is "Ghostbusters" and then there is "literally the entire rest of the franchise including everything involving the original cast members" so it's hard for me to act like it's Killing Ghostbusters Forever.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

:doh:

Just realized something about reddit guys "plot summary":

quote:

The GGB's face off against him and the ghost leaves Hemsworth body sparing him. He then asks "WHAT FORM DO YOU CHOOSE?" with really no explanation And Jones says out loud "Oh I think that spray painted ghost from the subway was cute!" and he turns into the Ghost from the ghostbusters logo, I AM making GBS threads YOU NOT ITS THAT STUPID.

Why the hell would they call it "that spray painted ghost from the subway" if that logo is plastered all over their car and uniforms. Unless everything where they are using that logo is after the final fight (which is unlikely since they have them during the Times Square sequence).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't say the original was poo poo because that was in fact the best joke. Seriously, who dislikes "It's true. This man has no dick."

He didn't seem like he meant it as a compliment.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Seriously.

Man gently caress you and your dumbshit exaggeration, Applewhite. Ghostbusters has been my favorite movie basically since I was 4 or 5. Nowhere in this entire thread have I said anything negative about the original movie. Unless you're so far up your own rear end that you think comparing the original to the new movie is sacrilege.

Applewhite posted:

He didn't seem like he meant it as a compliment.

You're insanely loving dumb.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The whole argument about "the cycle" and "defenders" is excluding the middle in a rather stupid fashion.

There's every possibility this movie will end up sucking. There's also the possibility it will be good. It may be mediocre. At this point all possibilities are open.

Let's be honest, if there even ever was a chance for a "true" GB3, that ended when Ramis died, so if we MUST get a new Ghostbusters movie it may as well be something different like an all-female team.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Guy A. Person posted:

You're insanely loving dumb.

Hey man,
I'm just saying it came across as sarcastic in context. If you meant sincerely that the "Dickless" joke was the best and most subtle joke in ghostbusters and that does the film credit hey okay whatevs. I think that there were many more jokes that were both funnier and more subtle but maybe that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Hey man,
I'm just saying it came across as sarcastic in context. If you meant sincerely that the "Dickless" joke was the best and most subtle joke in ghostbusters and that does the film credit hey okay whatevs. I think that there were many more jokes that were both funnier and more subtle but maybe that's just me.

I was being sarcastic, the context of the entire argument was that the original was much more subtle in its humor. Several people pointed out places where it wasn't (that, Venkman being slimed, the ghost blowjob) to show that the new movie isn't a total lost cause based on the 3 minutes of footage we've seen.

Again, saying the original wasn't as subtle as people were claiming isn't an insult to the original. Part of the reason I love the movie is that there is something for everyone: I loved the slapstick and silliness when I was five, I love the more subtle stuff 30 years later. I have loved the "this man has no dick" line the entire time, therefor it is legitimately the best joke (not the most subtle obviously, although the setup is fantastic).

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 9, 2016

• Locked thread