Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is Smooth Motion where it looks like live CCTV footage? Like it’s all a bit too realistic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The_Doctor posted:

Is Smooth Motion where it looks like live CCTV footage? Like it’s all a bit too realistic?

Did you see the Hobbit movies in that high frame rate bullshit? It looks like that but worse.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Yea the tv itself inserts frames somehow and it has that too fluid look, especially when there's camera movement

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea the tv itself inserts frames somehow and it has that too fluid look, especially when there's camera movement

A friend of mine had this constantly on his tv, said he didn't notice it after a while, which I've heard from other people and will never understand how that's possible.

We watched Uwe Boll's "Far Cry" with it on, and nothing of value was lost.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It makes everything look like a soap opera shot on video. It’s unsettling.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
someone finally told me what the hell that was and that you can turn it off on your TV's settings and it was like a revelation. Finally I could once again watch movies made before 2012 without it looking weird as hell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm amazed someone under the age of 60 lasted more than 5 minutes with that poo poo.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Aleph Null posted:

Now they just get widescreen TVs anyway and would complain about vertical black bars if they tried to watch old 4:3 television.

Oh, god, stretching 4:3 content to hide the vertical bars is the worst. I don't know what's worse, the uniform widening or the one that preserves the ratio in the middle and stretches the sides progressively more the farther from center, like the screen is being wrapped around a cylinder.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm amazed someone under the age of 60 lasted more than 5 minutes with that poo poo.

My wife prefers it and I will never understand why. And I didn't mind HFR in the Hobbit trilogy (especially with CGI or properly-lit scenes.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

From my parents house to my house now everyone around me has these cheap large HD TVs that are completely broken from the start and always looks bad.

The sad part is...I’ve gotten used to it. At least there because I have no other place to watch my movies unless i use my ffffuckin cellphone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

The sad part is...I’ve gotten used to it. At least there because I have no other place to watch my movies unless i use my ffffuckin cellphone.

Such a sadness.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All the tvs have menu options to change the settings tho. Not finding the remote isn't an excuse either because all tvs have buttons built on them for this express purpose. They're usually on the bottom corner or somewhere on the side. Hit menu and the volume (or channel) buttons turn into directional buttons. It's not rocket science, it's a loving television.

And if your relatives don't already notice the smooth motion setting, they're not going to bitch when you change it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When I was at my moms house for two days, I didn’t find the remote or care that much to fix it.

But the problem with the TV I have now, or my roommates is, I spent a good while trying to get it to a setting that wasn’t garbage. It’s like HD, but it’s also really cheap and bad looking. Lots of artifacts.

My dads who’s tv I used when I lived at home, is really bad, in how subtle it’s shittyness was. It’s HD, crystal clear, but just slightly off.

If anyone has any tips please share and save me from this pain. Not the second one but the first one.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

When I was at my moms house for two days, I didn’t find the remote or care that much to fix it.

But the problem with the TV I have now, or my roommates is, I spent a good while trying to get it to a setting that wasn’t garbage. It’s like HD, but it’s also really cheap and bad looking. Lots of artifacts.

My dads who’s tv I used when I lived at home, is really bad, in how subtle it’s shittyness was. It’s HD, crystal clear, but just slightly off.

If anyone has any tips please share and save me from this pain. Not the second one but the first one.

What brand of TV do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Looks like a TLC Roku TV.

• Locked thread