Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Jesus, how have i never caught that.

Yeah, I'm wondering how I've never caught this. I watched it every day til I was about 10. And I still watch it about once a month. And I've never noticed.

I have the boxset of the cartoon, in the firehouse. It's pretty awesome. You can really tell that J. Michael Straczynski is one cranky man.

The best episode of the cartoon is "Ragnarok and Roll." It's about a guy who decides to destroy the planet since his girlfriend dumped him. Definitely my favorite. Or the one about the guy who rids the world of chickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

ShawnWilkesBooth posted:

I like the one where the Bogeyman turned them into children.

Did that episode actually happen?

There's one where Egon becomes a kid, and one where they help two kids fight the Bogeyman. I don't recall one where they all become kids.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

ShawnWilkesBooth posted:

Yeah, it's the Egon one. I haven't even seen an episode of the show in two decades. Was there another one where they help a fat ghost (Orson Welles but no little kid knows this) find his sled Rosebud?

Yeah, about them staying in the haunted house of William Randolph Hearse or something. It's pretty funny, considering Maurice LaMarche basically made a career of using that same impersonation over and over.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Since we're talking about Real Ghostbusters ghosts scaring the poo poo out of us, I'll contribute.

There was an episode where Slimer ran away and got hooked up with a big yellow ghost that may or may not have been wearing a top hat. Said ghost would attract other disaffected ghosts and then pretty much eat them through osmosis.

Yeah, that guy was pretty loving creepy. Samhain too.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

YourEvilTw1n posted:

Well, eventually Music was replaced by Dave Coulier, also known as Uncle Joey. So, it might not have been him!

Yeah, by the time my memory kicks in regarding Saturday morning cartoons, it was definitely Coulier-episodes. Looking back on them, they are awful, aside from that musical Halloween episode, and the ones with vampires fighting werewolves. I mean, I don't know WHO thought it would be a good idea to say "Hey! What if the Ghostbusters fought unlicensed ghost copies of the Simpsons family?"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Icon-Cat posted:

... What?!

Yeah, seriously. The Ghostbusters go on vacation, and return to find the firehouse taken over by The Simpsons, only SPECTRAL and DIFFERENT ENOUGH TO AVOID LAWSUITS. They also did a similar one with the Ninja Turtles. It really got stupid toward the end.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Corman posted:

Edit: I was ADDICTED to this stuff as a kid

Oh, man. Me too. That and Ecto-Cooler Hi-C. I miss that drink.

Been re-watching some of the cartoon, and, really, the Coulier-Venkman episodes aren't as bad as I remembered. At least, until they changed the animation style to make it 'cartoonier,' and got rid of the awesome score they'd been using from the beginning and replaced it with electronic garbage.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

ProfZoom posted:

Nevermind. Found it.

Click here for the full 936x1224 image.

Holy poo poo. The Boogeyman Cometh is definitely one of my favorite episodes.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I believe this episode was originally the pilot.

It was the pilot for the Syndicated version of the show. The ABC episodes were started with that episode where the ghost family with the idiot son taking over a chocolate factory or something. The syndicated ones were usually more hosed up, and the ABC ones were goofier.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Perfect? I caught Earth vs The Spider on there last week. Yes. That one.

Nothing wrong with a 'classic' bad movie every once in a while, to change things up a bit. Also, isn't Ted's favorite movie Night of the Lepus?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

DevilOnYourShoulder posted:

All you Ghostbusters lovers, do yourself a favor and go see "Zombieland".

You'll see.

"Do you have any regrets?"
"Garfield, I think."

Great, great, GREAT moment.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WeWereSchizo posted:

But if it DOES taste like Ecto-Cooler this thread will die when we all have heart attacks from chugging them all night long.

God, please let it taste like Ecto-Cooler. How I miss that drink. Didn't it last like a decade after the show went off the air? I kept wondering what the little kids must've thought Slimer was.

Anyway, if Moranis is in III, I'm completely sold. He made II awesome with the courtroom scene.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EfntYQeTvw

What a strange show this was.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

YourEvilTw1n posted:

My mom recorded that episode (and the entire Halloween block, including Scooby Doo) on VHS and I would watch that episode over and over and over.

Apparently, the dude who played The Boogaloo was the same guy who sang "Cleaning Up the Town" from the first movie. Which is pretty neat, I think.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Holy gently caress, I have a new favorite drink! Wonder how it mixes with booze?

I'll go find out.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Nuggan posted:

The psychic at the beginning of GB2 predicted new years eve as the end of the world. :psyduck:

I'm still waiting to see what happens on Valentine's day in 2016.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Cdishwalla posted:

I'll be having a drink at the Holiday Inn, Paramus - in case that alien comes back.

If something actually happens, my last thought will be, both in a happy manner and terrified, "HOLY poo poo GHOSTBUSTERS II CALLED IT."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Guard: Dr. Venkman, World of the Psychic! How are ya? You know that used to be one of my two favourite shows.
Peter: Oh yeah? What was the other one?
Guard: Bassmasters... do you know it?
Peter: Yeah, I know Bassmasters, sure.

That's probably my favorite joke in the movie, aside from Louis's 'elevator' speech. Though this is solely because my grandpa watched fishing shows and listened to conspiracy radio shows all the time. I bet he'd have hung out with the guard.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

My favorite part of the movie is when Venkman walks into Danas apartment when hes investigating, opens up the piano and twidles the two highest notes and says "Ghosts hate that".

To this day, I cannot walk into a room with a piano and not do that.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Ghostbusters 3 tidbit in reply to Sigourney's comment: The 'Venkman is a Ghost' thing has been floating around since at least 1999. I hope to God they don't use it. It's stupid.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

echoplex posted:

I always stay out of GB3 debates because what will be will be.

However, in my opinion the only way that film could ever work if it was soley 4 old, fat dudes who are genuinely too old for this poo poo. Danny and Harold are delightfully... portly, Murray should have his Zissou beard, and although black don't crack, a slightly greying Ernie Hudson would set the whole thing off a treat. Like I said in the OP, I'd watch them together in anything. Don't make it huge. Just give them lines and space and a reason to have the occasional pratfall, put the same kind of love into they used to, and remember how comedy films used to be, and I'll love it no matter what.

No new dudes, no new car, none of the new poo poo. Just some old guys with bad backs saving the world in spite of it all. That's all I want.

I'd watch the Hell out of that. As long as Venkman is even more bitter because he's old now, and can't charm every woman.

That said, going the 'new team' way, I kind of want to see Winston playing the biggest role in training them. Just because Ernie Hudson is awesome.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

I can proudly say that it was my first movie in a theatre. I don't remember it, as I was probably two years old, but it's good to know I wasn't the only one that dragged their parents to see it.

It was my first movie in theaters too. I don't remember anything, but my folks claim I was running up and down the aisles the whole movie. I was three.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Ehud posted:

Moranis is my favorite part of Ghostbusters. The party scene in the first movie is perfect. I could not be more excited about this.

It really is the best scene in the movie. Everything Moranis does in both movies is gold. I wish he'd been in the game.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Mortanis posted:

Isn't that a lot of what started the feud between Murray and Ramis? I recall reading that Ramis effectively created the persona of Bill Murray through the script, and when Bill became popular he somewhat resented Ramis for it. Then came the butting of heads with Groundhog's Day and they had a falling out.

The flip side is that Moranis pretty much ad libbed half his lines, IIRC.

Groundhog's Day is quickly becoming my favorite movie. I've re-watched it a few times lately and it's really amazing. Bill Murray is great in it. Between this and Scrooged, you can definitely see his performances becoming more like they are in Wes Anderson's movies: Surprisingly subtle and touching at times, but still hilarious.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't see why people have a problem with Ghost Venkman. It could be a lot of fun, and sounds much better than no Venkman.

It just strikes me as completely stupid. "Hey, you know what Venkman really loving hates? GHOSTS. WHAT IF HE WAS ONE? HOW FUNNY WOULD THAT BE?"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Timby posted:

I think it's more that Aykroyd hasn't had a single good idea since about 1990.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIW-5Zau9Pw

This was 1991. So 1990, yeah, that's probably the cut-off.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Ghostbusters II would've been an awesome episode of "The Real Ghostbusters." The comic book adaptation was pretty neat.

As a movie, it's pretty boring, with flashes of comedy.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Timby posted:

There's a photo of me as the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man at Halloween.

I'm not posting it.

Probably a wise idea.

I had the Proton Pack toy. One of my more vivid childhood memories is blasting the 'ray,' which was a curvy foam line, into the Toy Box we kept.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Eyre Kneed posted:

Harold Ramis had very big hair.

I've been told I look like Ramis because of my hair. Of course, they always say "if he gained weight." So, basically, I look like Ramis now apparently.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I've been watching "Extreme Ghostbusters" on Google Video, and, man, it has not aged well. I did like the two episodes involving all four of the originals. And the episode with The Grundel returning. Other than that, it's way too politically correct for its own good.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah, I don't have very high hopes for Ghostbusters III, as much as I'd love to. At least the game was pretty awesome.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Glass Joe posted:

If the project is dead, it's probably for the best. I'd rather see no Ghostbusters than lovely Ghostbusters.

Very much this. Ghostbusters II was likable, but little more. The Real Ghostbusters was (til Dave Coulier) fantastic. Extreme Ghostbusters was mostly terrible. With the game, we had a good 'send-off,' so they should let it be.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Classtoise posted:

Really? Because I think of Extreme Ghostbusters which, despite the horrible name, was actually exceptional.

It had its moments. Mainly when the Real Ghostbusters crossed over. That was kinda neat, even though they got Coulier and whoever it was to replace Arsenio Hall, instead of Lorenzo Music and Hall.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

YourEvilTw1n posted:

The movie will get made, with or without Murray. Sony couldn't resist such a cash cow. Let's just hope they the script doesn't suck.

Isn't Bill Murray part-owner of the franchise? I think if he tells them 'No,' it can't be made. I can't remember where I read that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

Even if everything else about the project is good, I don't know how much I can enjoy a comedy, even if that comedy happens to be a sequel to my favourite movie of all time, if I know two of the leads are barely tolerating each other. I can watch Groundhog Day still with no problem but that's because Ramis isn't actually on screen.

Except for the brief scene with the head x-ray.

Also, I just read that article, and it kind of makes me feel bad for Ramis. He just wants Murray to still be his friend SO BADLY.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

How is Ramis looking these days? Because if this movie actually happens, I don't know if I can accept Fat Egon. :(

That's precisely how I feel. It'll probably be covered with some "Shouldn't have made so many Twinkie analogies" joke or something.

I wouldn't mind another game, but at this point, I really don't want another movie. Murray doesn't want to do it, Ramis and Aykroyd will try too hard. Hudson's fine by me. Let's have a "Winston trains the new recruits because the other guys are too old and fat" montage.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Ave Azaria posted:

Yeah, it's sort of live action fanfiction. The original GB is lightning in a bottle. Attempts to recapture that magic are always just gonna be kind of "off", at best. This goes for the sequels.

Pretty much this. Except for "The Real Ghostbusters." It's still great. Different from the movie, but still fun. Ghostbusters II is fun, but not great. I've probably posted this or conflicting things in this thread before.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Just today, my mother was in a local consignment shop and ran across the old RPG game made in 1986 for forty cents, and gave it to me. So, that's now my most valued Ghostbusters item. Can't wait to have a chance to play it!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I bought the Wii version recently and it's pretty fun. The first few levels were the best. I lost interest at the level where you have to blast the graves to get dancing skeletons to jump out. I'll probably get back to it soon, though, just to see the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

echoplex posted:

Imagine writing the worst thing Ernie Hudson has ever seen. That's when you call it a day.

I really want to read that screenplay now. Imagine it. A Ghostbusters movie worse than Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3: Viva La Fiesta!

• Locked thread