Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I had a local friend here for a bit, met him on flickr, we had the same first name. He introduced me to his other friend, but we only did a 2-3 photo walks spread throughout a year and then the photorelationship fizzled out, very mutually.
It struck me that he was looking for something through photography, but photography wasn’t it so he gave it up eventually.

I know one other guy but we’ve only sold/bought cameras/film from each other. He turned out to be a Freedom Fighter so that was that.

I’m thinking about joining a local member’s run gallery/darkroom, but mostly for the high def scanner rental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Do we have a list somewhere of good photography documentaries?

huhu fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 20, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Don't think so, but what in particular are you interested in?

I personally enjoy reading artist interviews or artist talks on youtube - look at mark ruwedel's and richard rothman's artist talks for example.
There's a handful of podcasts which have good photographer interviews - Nearest Truth, Magic Hour, A Small Voice, Photo Work.

There's also videos on youtube you can find that follow a photographer as well, a couple from the 80s (winnogrand), a lot of contemporary ones (I don't watch those if i think the photographer being followed doesn't have good work, i have seen only 2-3, maybe daniel arnold if you like his style)

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Ralph Gibson has done some good interviews. Or rather, he's done what many great artists have done and tolerated being interviewed by someone. He grew up around Henri Cartier-Bresson and his stories are pretty neat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cole Thompson has some lectures on his website that are interesting. I don't think his work is the best ever or you should necessarily do what he does but it is some food for thought in this hellscape reality where all anyone cares about is going viral.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

huhu posted:

Do we have a list somewhere of good photography documentaries?

this Youtuber does short documentaries on photographers (usually around 12 minutes or so) as well as featuring her own work, which is generally pretty good. She focuses more on process, intention, etc rather than gear in her videos, so I think well worth a follow if you're looking to develop your eye/artistic vision. I was looking for the link to her channel and her most recent video is... recommending 5 photography documentaries, so I reckon that's a good place to start as any :v:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I spent more time this winter watching gear reviews on YouTube than I did going out shooting but TBF I live in a frozen wasteland where January and February are frozen, cold, and dark.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brrrmph posted:

I spent more time this winter watching gear reviews on YouTube than I did going out shooting but TBF I live in a frozen wasteland where January and February are frozen, cold, and dark.

But those are awesome shooting conditions!

Fuckin love me some ice and show photography. Except for the dead batteries part.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

But those are awesome shooting conditions!

Fuckin love me some ice and show photography. Except for the dead batteries part.

Pinhole cameras for the win!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Has anyone ever migrated Lightroom Classic from PC to Mac in combination with a NAS? I have all my photos SMB mounted from my NAS to my PC, with the catalog files stored locally. I copied over the catalog (and previews) to the Mac and was able to open it just fine. Naturally, Lightroom now shows all the photos as missing at the original on-disk location, e.g "\\nas\Photos". When I right click and select "Find missing folder" I'm able to navigate to the new network path (Mac > NAS > Photos), but am presented with an invalid path error. Seems like LR doesn't really like the photos being on a drive with a different name.

I tested a normal import from the NAS to the Mac just to make sure it wasn't a problem with some combo of Mac + Lightroom + NAS. Everything worked just fine. Any ideas on how to get LR to look for all my files in a different place?

fake edit: It looks like one thing that works is selecting a photo with a missing file, clicking the `!` icon, and locating the file. Lightroom will then re-find all the other photos in the same folder. However, the files are organized on disk by year and month, so that would mean having to "locate" a file across each month/year combo over however many years. That seems…sub-optimal.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 25, 2023

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

waffle enthusiast posted:

Has anyone ever migrated Lightroom Classic from PC to Mac in combination with a NAS? I have all my photos SMB mounted from my NAS to my PC, with the catalog files stored locally. I copied over the catalog (and previews) to the Mac and was able to open it just fine. Naturally, Lightroom now shows all the photos as missing at the original on-disk location, e.g "\\nas\Photos". When I right click and select "Find missing folder" I'm able to navigate to the new network path (Mac > NAS > Photos), but am presented with an invalid path error. Seems like LR doesn't really like the photos being on a drive with a different name.

I tested a normal import from the NAS to the Mac just to make sure it wasn't a problem with some combo of Mac + Lightroom + NAS. Everything worked just fine. Any ideas on how to get LR to look for all my files in a different place?

fake edit: It looks like one thing that works is selecting a photo with a missing file, clicking the `!` icon, and locating the file. Lightroom will then re-find all the other photos in the same folder. However, the files are organized on disk by year and month, so that would mean having to "locate" a file across each month/year combo over however many years. That seems…sub-optimal.

The catalog has a path to the RAW, the paths will be different on Mac as it uses Unix mounts with / separators?

You could change to sidecar files for your edits and import into a new catalog

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You said copied the library… wouldn’t Exporting the library be a better option?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I only copied the catalog and settings files (lrcat) to my Mac. The photos are still in the same location on the NAS. This should be doable, per a few blogs and Adobe forum posts. The steps seem pretty straightforward:

1. Copy over your catalog and previews
2. Connect your photos via NAS / External Drive / or copy them to your new system. Ensure the library maintains same folder structure.
3. Open Lightroom on the new machine.
4. When you see the "?" for the missing library folders, right click and select "Find Missing Folder", then navigate to the new location.

Unfortunately, in Step 4 when I select the new location, I get a big fat "An internal error has occurred. Invalid Path" My best guess is that LR is choking because it wants a folder on one drive \\nas\Photos (PC) and I'm trying to point it to a folder on what it thinks is a different drive smb://nas/Photos (Mac).

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to work if you were to do it with an external SSD, so this feels like a network-path related bug.

edit: Yep. It's a bug. I downgraded to 12.1 and everything works as it's supposed to.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 26, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I've been freelancing since 2019 and I feel good about my work. I want to take things more seriously than my instagram, but I don't know where to post. I want to setup my portfolio to go along with my demo reel but I don't know how. Where should I go?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I moved from Windows to Mac and if I recall correctly, I just had to find one missing photo and Lightroom figured out where the rest were.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
My kid is in a language immersion program and the class has its own separate yearbook. I've tentatively volunteered to do yearbook pictures of all the students on the basis that the school yearbook pictures were awful and I couldn't do much worse. Besides camera, lens, tripod, are there any other bare essentials I need? I was thinking of doing it outdoors against a blank wall with natural light

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone ever use https://www.saal-digital.com ? I saw an Instagram advertisement for $150 off professional photo books from them and got the following for $35 (instead of $185).

8 x 8 Professional Line Photo Book
Spreads: glossy photo paper: 70 pages
Cover: acrylic + leatherette, Cover surface: leatherette black

Worth purchasing?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

$35 is pretty cheap to print a one off book ($185 is nutty), never even heard of them so don't know about the quality.

I printed a book last year using Blurb, hardback, 8x10 52 pages, premium paper and lustre finish for $70. I think the quality is pretty good, wish they had a linen cover option for their books though.

edit: i also printed a book from costco one time, I don't remember what I paid, but it was less than the blurb book and is 12x12. I am not impressed by the quality though.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 1, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I've been freelancing since 2019 and I feel good about my work. I want to take things more seriously than my instagram, but I don't know where to post. I want to setup my portfolio to go along with my demo reel but I don't know how. Where should I go?

If you've got the Adobe photography bundle it includes a free portfolio; it's a bit limited in what you can do with the site (no blog support, which is a big minus imo) but has a lot of decent looking templates.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey any good suggestions or leads when it comes to having a portfolio website?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on youtube paid sponsorships, everyone uses squarespace. You could probably get a month discounted pretty easily using one of their affiliate codes.

Beyond that though, don't get silly with the layout because everyone hates side scrolling or timed image rotation. Or the poo poo these clowns did where mousing over a photo causes it to wiggle around: https://www.worldpressphoto.org/collection/photocontest/2023

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

xzzy posted:

Or the poo poo these clowns did where mousing over a photo causes it to wiggle around: https://www.worldpressphoto.org/collection/photocontest/2023

Who... who thought this was a good idea? Yuck.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i use format because it’s not square space and i never want to hit esc on my own website to see a login prompt or on anyone’s website for that matter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I was trying to avoid squarespace, I've used it and it's good, except it's $30/mo

If that was the best option, I'd honestly make it simple and roll my own with some template. Especially if it's basically a gallery.

I'll check out format

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you've got any linux skills and would be content with rolling your own, a digital ocean droplet with some kind of CMS app works well for about $6 a month. I use the hugo framework because it has a zillion user made themes and it's 100% static, you run a command to spit out the html files. Don't need to worry about php or wordpress getting a vulnerability and your site gets owned.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That format website has the lower option at $4/mo and 100 images and 15 pages is surely sufficient for my needs.

Thanks though it's good to have options

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm going to embark on creating my first photo book. I was thinking of using Lightroom Classic to curate all my photos into collections, then use the built in photo book creator to design the book and order it from Blurb. Any thoughts on this, better/easier way? I want to make a book of my first 10 years of photography.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
go to like costco or walmart, print off all the photos you want to use, and then sequence the 4x6's. then paste them into a notebook, and then once you're happy, go ahead with doing it digitally.

it's a thousand times easier, faster, and using physical photos leads to better results than trying to do it all digitally

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The technical term for it is "workprints" from the film days, it was more effective to run off a bunch of cheap prints than try to do all that on contact sheets (which I guess are also really cheap prints but they're too small to lay them out on a table and play with layouts).

Doesn't really change what you do, pay walgreens or whoever happens to be cheapest to run off a stack of prints, but if you wan to hunt around for advice on how photographers and editors use prints to do their job, 'workprint' is a good search term.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

huhu posted:

Anyone ever use https://www.saal-digital.com ? I saw an Instagram advertisement for $150 off professional photo books from them and got the following for $35 (instead of $185).

8 x 8 Professional Line Photo Book
Spreads: glossy photo paper: 70 pages
Cover: acrylic + leatherette, Cover surface: leatherette black

Worth purchasing?

I doubt anyone pays full price - set to allow large discount. I got a complimentary book a while ago. The print quality itself is fine - images look good - but the book quality was disappointing. The bleed area is massive, and the page edges were not all cut straight, making some images slightly slanted on the page. I would not order from them again.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I just started messing around with long exposure stuff and I'm having wierd marks show up - you can see it on the fountain and one in the foreground in this pic. I've cleaned the lens and filter off, is this like, dirt on the sensor or something? I haven't taken the lens out and cleaned the back end. These don't show up on shots with a fast shutter speed. Any ideas?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's dust on the sensor. Not sure why it doesn't show up on faster exposures, usually once grime gets on the sensor it's always visible.

Either way, get a rocket blower and dust it off.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
It's probably just more visible in longer exposures due to the low-pass filter effect making everything except the sensor noise look really smooth.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks guys, ill pick up a cleaning kit.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If the faster shutter is accomplished by opening up the lens more then it makes perfect sense, because dust on a sensor is most obvious at smaller apertures.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

theHUNGERian posted:

If the faster shutter is accomplished by opening up the lens more then it makes perfect sense, because dust on a sensor is most obvious at smaller apertures.

Forgive me if I'm reading that wrong, but I think you're saying that in order to maintain exposure, if shooting a longer (slower) shutter, you would maybe need to balance it with a smaller aperture, which could show dust more.

Which, while we're here, OP, what were your settings?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Viginti Septem posted:

Forgive me if I'm reading that wrong, but I think you're saying that in order to maintain exposure, if shooting a longer (slower) shutter, you would maybe need to balance it with a smaller aperture, which could show dust more.

Which, while we're here, OP, what were your settings?

I was just using the shutter priority mode and a 10 stop nd filter, here's (i think) the relevant stuff from the exif data

Exposure Time 30 sec
F-Number f/36.0
Exposure Program Shutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

field balm posted:

I was just using the shutter priority mode and a 10 stop nd filter, here's (i think) the relevant stuff from the exif data

Exposure Time 30 sec
F-Number f/36.0
Exposure Program Shutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Yeah, f/36 will show every piece of dust, while f/5.6 will be more forgiving, with exposure time and depth of focus being the tradeoffs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Found this fascinating re: bridge cameras. Below are cut away images of the Olympus E-10 and E-20 bridge cameras from ~2000.

Now I've played with a few bridge cameras before they went extinct and they all had terrible first gen EVFs. What's interesting about the Olympus is that its a 2/3" bridge camera but no EVF. It has a TTL OVF. What's more interesting is that its not a traditional SLR OVF. Theres a split prism and no mirror so no mirror flap or blackout. Kind of like the Sony/Canon SLT system. However its even more interesting in that it doesn't use a focussing screen. Which is somewhat a downside because what you see is not what the sensor sees. The image still does go in and out of focus but its not on an internal screen. It's on your retina inside your eye. So if the image is out of focus its definitely out of focus for the sensor but if the image is in focus it doesn't mean you've nailed it. Very cool none the less because while flawed it is brighter than a focussing screen SLR OVF. And arguably better than a non TTL OVF on a technical level. Also way way better than first gen EVFs.

edit: I'm wrong there is a focussing screen its tiny 2/3in size. You can see it in the cutaway diagram.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Favorite insurance (maybe renters) that also covers camera gear while you're traveling? I'm in the Utah area.

Edit: Ended up going with the PPA Insurance and the other perks that come with it. Will see if it's worth $30/month. Also fine print doesn't cover photography drones which sucks.

huhu fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 14, 2023