Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm going to be shooting a mass hot air balloon launch near sunset today. Any recommendations? I'll have an 8-16 ultra wide, a 50 prime, and a 70-300.

Try and snag a ride on one of the balloons that is in the middle of the launch. Trade free prints for it. Then shoot like a lunatic and take amazing stuff with a wide angle lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Don't do it. If she wants to pay for it she should go to someone who does it for a living.

Just concentrate on shooting your friends for no stress hassle free stuff.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I hope this is the appropriate thread to ask this. My wife bought me my first DSLR for Christmas. I got my "nifty 50", read some stuff here and elsewhere and have been able to take some nice pictures (compared to my old point and shoot at least).

I've seen the book recommendations in the first DSLR thread and will probably be grabbing at least one of them soon. My question is, how valuable are actual classes? Is it worth the money and time compared to just loving around with it yourself and picking up stuff from other users?

I'm currently looking at the classes offered by the Cleveland Photographic Society. 30 hours of instruction over six classes for $175. Seem reasonable (or worthwhile)?

http://www.clevelandphoto.org/fundschool.cfm

I used to help teach a class like this a couple of years ago. $35 got you 3 hours in Central Park with up to 25 people (though on average it was about 18). We taught exposure fundamentals, exposure compensation settings, shutter speed and aperture relationships and when to change each (blur vs bokeh basically). How to take portraits to get bokeh effects. A small amount on composition.

As much as it's not really something for a serious photographer, if you know nothing at all about the stuff I mentioned, it was well worth it and we always got great feedback.

I imagine this class will be as advanced as ours, just more depth as you have more time. I would do it as long as $175 isn't going to break the bank. Just the time spent with like minded people and actually talking to them about your hobby and making friends is worth it alone. There is only so much you can learn on a forum or in a book. If you make just one permanent real life photo buddy it's worth it.