Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

jackpot posted:

Ha, I've finally made it, I have arrived:

:downsgun:

Great cameras take great photos. Just like how guns kill people, and forks make people fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Would a fisheye lens make it easier to do the whole "tiny planets" photoshop-a-panorama-into-a-circle thing, or would it skew the perspective too much?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I've done a few but always have problems shooting the ground below me for the "center" of the planet. Unless it's very uniform and generic, it looks too warped once it's a planet.

There's a tutorial on DA here

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
If I wanted to learn how to take real estate photos of a high quality, where would I start? It seems to be all about balancing the lighting, but I'm hoping there's some sites out there dedicated to this form of photography/lighting..?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Any recommendations on how to shoot corporate yet casual (is there such a thing) staff photos?

I've got a bit of a rep for being the office photographyer guru so they're getting me to shoot some staff profiles. I've got a couple of wireless speedlights at my disposal and a relatively large boardroom.. might have to play around with a dummy model the day beforehand.

Shooting the staff in their environment is also an option but it might be trickier with variable light levels etc.. half the office has a full length window right next to them.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I've already booked out the board room for the afternoon before so I can play around in there, with the lucky chick that asked me to do it as my test model.

It'll be individual shots, so we shall see what ideas I come up with.

Cheers... always good to have somewhere to bounce around ideas :)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

diarrhea for girls posted:

Sweet. Thanks a lot for the heads up, downloading that now.

edit: New import from device screen rules.

Do we want a LR thread? There seems to be a decent market for discussion around the new beta & its changes/features.

What I've found so far:

• Completely new import method.
  • Publish directly to your flickr photostream from the Library module.
  • Keyword sets for bunches of keywords to be applied at once
  • New 'Effects' tab of the Develop module - now has Post-Crop Vignetting with more control, and a Grain slider to add roughness to a picture.
  • All lens correction sliders that depend on there being an "amount" chosen are now grayed out until the amount is a number aside from 0.
  • Many more options in the Develop adjustment brush tool. Custom effects like Teeth Whitening, Iris Enhancing as well as typical photoshop filters.
  • Much quicker at updating web galleries in a draft Web project.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 23, 2009

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
This guy takes 8fps on a D3, combines them in Photoshop and makes them look pretty drat good.

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2009/10/chase-jarvis-tech-strobed-photo.html

How possible would it be just to use a long shutter and strobe the flashes yourself, on the off chance that ya can't get hold of a D3.

It does mean less control over the outcome, so it might need a few reshoots.. and can only be done in near darkness.. but it'd work, no?

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 27, 2009

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
this might sound strange, but I'm making a greyscale zone card for myself..

Would it make a big difference if the dynamic range that was covered was in the very low end of shutter speeds?

I did some test shots last night and zone 0 was 30 seconds, all the way up to zone 10 which was about 1/30 IIRC.

Would you expect a greycard to look any different if the shutter speed ranged in that range, compared to doing it on a bright sunny day where zone 0 had to be done at 1/4000, covering a completely different range of shutter speeds?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

brad industry posted:

Yes that's going to be a pretty major problem because of reciprocity failure at the longer shutter speeds.

Thanks, That's what I thought. I just didn't know the technical term for it.

I'm doing an correspondence course at the moment, and one of the assignments was to make a greycard and test the dynamic range of your cameras.
It was so drat dark inside that zone 10 ended up being 30 seconds long, and I was thinking "surely i'd get different results much quicker shutter speeds"

Edit: after a decent google, it sounds like Reciprocity failure is only applicable to film, not so much digital photography.. is that correct?

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 29, 2009

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Lightroom question...

I want to reorganise all my photos, and one of the import organizing settings would be perfect (../year/month/day) for what I'm after.

At the moment it's all over the place, so i want to use the metadata to reorganise everything.

I could just reimport _everything_ to get it this way, but I have hundreds of hours of lightroom edits on these photos, so I don't want to lose anything.

suggestions?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Hurr.. I came in here to ask about photographing meteor showers.

I think I'm going to be poo poo out of luck. The light pollution where I am is insanely bad. There's no way I'll be able to get away with a 30 second exposure without it being destroyed

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Does that process preserve previous lightroom edits + original?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

dunos posted:

I think you can export the catalogue including negatives, create a new blank catalogue for your organised images and reimport from your exported catalogue file. It then gives you the option of how to organise the negatives on disk while preserving all the metadata (including edits).

I don't have LR on this work PC so I can't test it but it should work.

I just had a go at doing this, and all it can do is import using the structure that was exported.. no fancy import dialogue to ask me how I want them organised.

:(

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I really like NN, but I find that it has a tenandancy to make things look glassy if you use it too much. Just heavily moderate how much you use it.

On the condensation issue, what kind of temerature changes are we taking about, when you'd have to start thinking about wrapping the camera in a bag etc.

In New Zealand it's pretty mild all year round.. hardly ever snows, hardly ever gets sunburn worthy heat.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 19, 2009

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

JaundiceDave posted:

I took my D300 to a snowball fight, and it took its fair share of hits. Kept on chugging like a champ.

I'm most worried about plain old rain. I hate getting it on my D90

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I'd love to know how some of these were made.

http://funlok.com/index.php/creativity/unbelievable-liquid-sculptures-10102008.html

they're all slow mo liquid 'waterdrop' type pictures, but I'm not sure how they're getting some of the marbling and multiple colours going on there.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Oh god i've been conned into doing some gig crowd photos on thursday.. whats the typical settings people use to make it look like they've been doing it for years?
Just a relatively slow shutter speed, rear curtain diffused flash, drag it a little, and that's all?
I feel dirty.

I'll be using my 10mm fisheye, so at least It'll have something a little different about it.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Ziir posted:

Must have missed it. I just set my back button to be my AF button so the shutter doesn't AF anymore and I figured out how to make it so I don't have to constantly hold it down, but now I'm running into a problem in that I can't force my camera to take pictures anymore. I used to just use the keypad to change the focus point but I read somewhere that that's not that good of an idea so I've been using the center focus point now. How do I force my camera to take a picture when I press the shutter, when it thinks I'm totally out of focus without switching to manual focus?

What your trying to achieve sounds pretty redundant given the focal point options.. but if you HAVE to.. there should be a little button called AF-L/AE-L or similar.. which will lock in the focus and the exposure, regardless of your regular autofocus system.

Hold down that button, and click away with all the wrong settings.

Why can't you just use AF-S, lock in your focus, and recompose? Or just use AF-C, and use a side focal point.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 8, 2010

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

brad industry posted:

Do you guys not look at photos outside of the internet or something, James Day rules / is not a gimmick like Dave Hill.

I saw his photos in an Audi mag a while back... while technically very good, they just wern't appealing to me at all..

edit: they're all on his website.

edit 2: I guess that's what makes photography an art. I'm sure many people would say comments similar to mine above with regards to Martin Schoeller's work, which I hold in the highest regard

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 10, 2010

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

slearch posted:

I am sure this has been touched on before so I apologize that I couldn't find it. I just got a new computer and want to transfer my lightroom catalog over. What's the best way to do this?

export to catalog, including DNG's.

afaik, that's the best way.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

The only thing ive had a problem with has been getting a freshly imported catalog to conform to my rules, ie I want the photos organised in a certain way and moved to a certain folder, but a catalog import just keeps them where they are.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Fungah posted:

Anybody here play paintball?

I'm going on my best friend's stag on the weekend and one of the activities is painballing. I've never been before so I don't really know what to expect.

I will be bringing my D90 along on the weekend anyway but I'm wondering if its worth bringing it paintballing as well. I figure I could use it after I "die" put probably not while playing. Anyone have any tips for not getting your camera ruined?

I have a 50-150mm and a 30mm lens, which is likely to be more useful? Any other tips/suggestions would be really helpful.

I've shot Paintball before.

Rule #1: Stay the gently caress away
Rule #2: Stay the gently caress away :)

Seriously, most people there will be in "if it moves, shoot it" mentality, so you definitely do not want to be in line of sight of any active participants.
Depending on the scenario, you could either take some from behind plexiglass windows if it's an inside game with a spectators area

If it's outside, just be on the sidelines, hoping for the best.

The number of times people shot at me was staggering. Just wasn't worth doing most of the time. You'll need to either play the game, or take photos. Don't try and do both. Wear really different clothing.. if they're in camo gear, wear shorts and a bright tshirt.

Do whatever you can so they can determine, in less time than their trigger finger takes to react, that the very "gun" looking thing you're holding up to your face pointed in their direction isn't actually a gun.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Playing around with tonemapping on an old throwaway shot of mine.

Too much?

old
new

Generally I can't stand the HDR look these days, but if it brings out some awesome detail without looking too artificial, then it's OK :)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Cheers..

It was just a cookie cutter blend using Photomatix, no manual photoshopping or anything. Once I get PS onto my laptop, I'll have a go at manually blending, which should give much better results.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Seconded for LR2mogrify.

Fricking awesome, the free (fully functional) demo will let you export 10 images at once. It's worth the little money it takes to unlock the full version.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I've been noticing that my camera is starting to take loving forever to transfer images to the memory card. I only shoot RAW, but I swear it used to take half as long to shoot the image, press the play button and quickly check out what I just took.
Now I have to sit there for a few seconds and wait, before I can check it out.

What the heck is the issue, the memory card speed? I'm sure it was fine before..

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Where's the best generic "retouching skin" tutorial?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
What do people use for client proofing galleries and/or purchasing..

Smugmug still pretty good?

I already have my own site, but I don't like the sound of trying to integrate proofing and possibly a shopping cart into my Wordpress site.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I used a third party app to perform tethered shooting in Lightroom 2.. apparently LR3 can do this better. Anyone used LR3 for tethered shooting?

edit: Gah, Nikon D80 isn't in their list of tether capable cameras.. Wonder if I can get around this.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 13, 2010

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
If I want clients to be able to pick and choose their photos, and to send that selection to me via email etc, what would be the best website/wordpress theme that can do that?

I'm not after any kind of ecommerce or shopping carts, just somewhere for them to be able to send me a selection. Doesn't even have to be in a private gallery.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

brad industry posted:

I just use the Lightroom galleries.

As in LRG from lightroomgalleries.com?

Or just the built in web exporters that come with Lightroom

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
What's the latest Pixma printers like for print quality?

I'm keen for a new printer, but don't wanna spend too much.. suggestions?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Cheers,

It'd just be used for a fancy dress event, just a bit of a "$15 for your photo" photobooth style thing.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Hrmm, I'm looking for a Lightroom web gallery that can let a client tick and choose shots, and email me the list easily.. Any ideas? The built in ones don't do it, and 'LRG FSS Select' is a full screen slideslow format.. I'm wanting a thumbnail gallery.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I've seen Highslide before, it's not bad. I'd prefer something for free though ;D

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
What are peoples thoughts on Capture One as a LR alternative?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I've just done a bunch of portrait shots for people that attended an event. The event organizers asked us to come on board for that purpose.

We've been charging $5 for the attendee's to get their photos emailed to them, which has been going well.. One of the attendee's has asked if he can get his photos released to him under a Creative Commons license of some kind, as he's an Open Source junkie, and loves the idea of the cumulative creativity that can come from releasing something under CC.
He's a friend, so he's just curiously wondering, rather than trying to extort the images from me or anything.

Any major disadvantages?

As far as I can see, I'd still need the OK of the event organizers, as they "paid" us to be there.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
On a similar note: Watermarks. I loving hate them.

It seems like any photographer with pictures good enough for people to actually want to copy, isn't the type to be having a BOB JONES PHOTOGRAPHY watermark over their photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

boydx posted:

Quick question, I currently have a Nikon D40 and mainly use the 50mm 1.8 which is a pain to manual focus all the time. Would I be better getting a body that will auto focus that lens or get the 35mm 1.8 AF-S.

I've got a D60 and I'm in the exact same boat.
Made a newbie mistake of getting the 50mm 1.8 before realizing that the D40/60 don't have an internal AF servo, and rely on AF-S designations and such to do the work for them.

Over time, you'd certainly be better getting a body that would do autofocus, but that kind of change doesn't come cheap.

In saying that, since I've realized my mistake, I've purchased the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM, and the Sigma 10.5mm F2.8 Fisheye HSM, and absolutely love them both.

Yes it's annoying having to ensure that a lens has its own AF servo, but it's not a huge deal breaker yet. The price difference between Nikon's AF and AF-S lenses is pretty big though, so don't go spending too much on AF-S lenses just to compensate for the lack of AF in your camera.