Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I'm shipping off to the Navy in 28 or so days and after basic is Sub school. What are the best submarine movies to psyche me up and/or scare me shitless?

So far I can think of:
U-571
The Hunt for Red October
Das Boot

Also any other really good Navy movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Joe Don Baker posted:

Holy poo poo this film looks amazing. If only Netflix has it. I will buy it purely on your recommendation.

I promise you: You will not regret this at all. I can't tell you how many times I've seen it.

Edit: QT loves it so much he named his releasing company after it and the acuna boys after characters in the movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Serious Michael posted:

I'm shipping off to the Navy in 28 or so days and after basic is Sub school. What are the best submarine movies to psyche me up and/or scare me shitless?

So far I can think of:
U-571
The Hunt for Red October
Das Boot

Run Silent, Run Deep is the best submarine movie ever. Not a sub movie, but The Caine Mutiny is worth seeing (and reading). Might make you seditious, though.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Serious Michael posted:

So far I can think of:
U-571
The Hunt for Red October
Das Boot

Crimson Tide

CascadingStyleSheet
Jul 30, 2009

by T. Finn
For the OP: A clown riding a Jetski, Turner & Hooch

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn

Plaque Conspiracy posted:

- Recommend movies for someone who likes clever, quick-witted movies like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, featuring blink-and-you'll-miss-it one liners and hilarious dry humour, but isn't necessarily classed as a comedy.
How about "Snatch", "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" or "Four Rooms"?

I guess "Four Rooms" is pretty much comedy though.

Recommend me a movie with bag men, like "Michael Clayton" or "The Way of the Gun."

Is that too vague?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Quoted for agreement. Still by far my favourite revenge movie. Although the amazing OH MY GOD YOU GOT SERVED moment you get watching the first time isn't AS amazing in subsequent viewings. But introducing other people to it and watching THEIR faces is great :)

The interesting thing about Oldboy is watching how it transforms as a revenge film. It starts out as a tale of one man trying to get revenge for his imprisonment and as we learn more about his tormentor we discover that it is actually our protagonist's tormentor who is seeking revenge and in the final confrontation, it is our protagonist who begs for forgiveness and it is the antagonist who finally does himself in once his appetite for revenge has been satiated. It's a really neat twist on the revenge film standard.

Fun story: I work the third shift at my job and the woman I was working with at the time was a huge movie fan like me. I recommended the film to her and let her borrow my copy of Oldboy over my extended weekend. Well, I come back over my weekend to discover that everyone in my office who works the third shift clamoring over this movie (Hey Macrame_God, have you ever heard of this movie, Oldboy?). It turns out my coworker was so blown away by the movie that she shared it with everyone in our office and it, too, blew their minds. It's a pretty amazing film.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Thanks for sci-fi future recommendations, I've added Gattaca, Code 46 and THX 1138 and to my Lovefilm list.

Elijah Snow posted:

-Recommend me movies that have intertwined but separate stories like Magnolia or Amores Perros, or movies that deal with alternate reality settings like eXistenZ and Vanilla Sky. Not a big fan of action movies though Total Recall was fun to watch.

I just saw Babel yesterday and I think it fits your description. It features 4 separate, but connected stories set in Morocco, US/Mexico and Morocco and, like Amores Perros, is directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu.

Also, there's Twenty Bucks. I haven't actually seen all of this film myself but I know it's in the same mold as the films you've named and Babel. However it's apparently more of a comedy. Here's the blurb from Lovefilm:

"This multi-character comedy follows the path of a single twenty dollar bill in a city neighborhood,focusing on various holders and their intertwining stories, including two convenience store robbers, an estranged father and daughter and a young newlywed couple."

Nimrod's Son posted:

Also for a totally different type of samurai movie:
Aragami takes place with only 2 speaking characters and all but the first min or so (if that) takes place in the same room. There's quite a bit of verbal swordplay and kick rear end action swordplay. It's in japanese though so it doesn't fit exactly with your examples.

This film is actually part of a double feature with 2LDK (which I recommend earlier). The two films were actually only made after a night of heavy drinking led the two Japanese directors to challenge each other to see who could make the best film using just 2 lead characters amd 1 principle location. Also, the shoot could only last a week max.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Macrame_God posted:

Koyaanisqatsi comes to mind first, but I can't guarantee that's it's a movie that you'd enjoy. I love it though.

Not what I was looking for, but I watched the first ~5 minutes and was pretty :monocle: so thanks for that recommendation. I think I'll join the line of those waiting for the Blu-Ray release and wait 'til then to first experience that film.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Name me a few good heist movies in the vein of the Ocean's movies, where its more silly and deus ex machina-esque.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Elijah Snow posted:

-Recommend me movies that have intertwined but separate stories like Magnolia or Amores Perros...

This might be really obvious, but check out Short Cuts if you haven't already.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

Ever see The Thirteenth Floor? Wasn't the greatest movie, but I quite enjoyed it.

Also, the The Three Colours is a french trilogy by Krzysztof Kieslowski and are very well intertwined. Some bits are obvious and the others are very subtle, with the similaries being more themes and motifs than actual "OMG THAT HAPPENED IN THE OTHER MOVIE" scenes.

They're also amazing movies on their own.

--

Quoted for agreement. Still by far my favourite revenge movie. Although the amazing OH MY GOD YOU GOT SERVED moment you get watching the first time isn't AS amazing in subsequent viewings. But introducing other people to it and watching THEIR faces is great :)

I've seen those but it has been a decade since I saw the Colours so I'll try them again, pretty sure I forgot everything about it except it has Juliette Binoche in them. I loved Babel's soundtrack so yeah, I'm going to watch that and all the other ones you other posters recommended, thank you. I don't know anything about them but I'll visit FNAC, they will probably be there.

On revenge movies, I'm gonna go with Sympathy for Mister Vengeance. Pretty sure everyone here knows it's part of a trilogy including Oldboy, same director etc, but if you haven't watched it you're missing out on a stunning movie. I absolutely loved Oldboy and everything about it, but SfMV actually bothered me to the point I felt sick for a couple days (not because of the gore, I'm a big boy). I don't want to spoil anything about it, but Park uses a lot of cool tricks I only found out after watching it to make it so raw.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Arkane posted:

Not what I was looking for, but I watched the first ~5 minutes and was pretty :monocle: so thanks for that recommendation. I think I'll join the line of those waiting for the Blu-Ray release and wait 'til then to first experience that film.

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway. It's an acquired taste, but a taste worth acquiring all the same.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

After recently seeing The Fountain and Sunshine, I'm looking for something similar (and modern, if possible) in terms of pace and atmosphere. Doesn't have to be sci-fi/fantasy, doesn't need Sunshine's weird last 15 minutes, just has to be a slow burner with an otherworldly feeling and good actors. I enjoy Lynch too, if that helps.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Schurik posted:

After recently seeing The Fountain and Sunshine, I'm looking for something similar (and modern, if possible) in terms of pace and atmosphere. Doesn't have to be sci-fi/fantasy, doesn't need Sunshine's weird last 15 minutes, just has to be a slow burner with an otherworldly feeling and good actors. I enjoy Lynch too, if that helps.
Solaris. I really liked Solaris. Also Wicker Park, but I should know better.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

bad movie knight posted:

Solaris. I really liked Solaris. Also Wicker Park, but I should know better.

Yeah, Solaris hits the spot, but I saw that a couple years ago. Is Wicker Park good enough to tinge my undying hate for Josh Hartnett?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Schurik posted:

Yeah, Solaris hits the spot, but I saw that a couple years ago. Is Wicker Park good enough to tinge my undying hate for Josh Hartnett?
It's well-shot and interesting enough. I mean, I recognize that it's nowhere near a great movie, but I just can't get enough of it. I've watched it at least half a dozen times.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

King Lur posted:

Recommend me movies that take place pretty much entirely in a single room or small area and focus primarily on character dialogue. For example The Man from Earth and Pontypool, both of which I watched recently and really enjoyed.

One that no one has mentioned yet is Tape. It only has three actors and it consists of one conversation.

What recommendations do you guys have for someone who likes brooding crime movies like The Aura and Man on the Train?

Also I'm watching Der Baader Meinhof Komplex for the nth time, and I wonder what people would recommend to someone who likes it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Schurik posted:

If you like Solaris, then might I also recommend Stalker?

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
What some great documentaries on sociological, philosophical, or politically related topics? I've seen the whole Power of Nightmares/Century of the Self/The Trap trilogy, Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices, Trinity & Beyond, and I think that's about it.

I know it's a broad range of topics, but I've seen very few documentaries so I'd like to change that

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

timeandtide posted:

What some great documentaries on sociological, philosophical, or politically related topics? I've seen the whole Power of Nightmares/Century of the Self/The Trap trilogy, Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices, Trinity & Beyond, and I think that's about it.

I know it's a broad range of topics, but I've seen very few documentaries so I'd like to change that

You might like The Corporation and Enron: The Smartest Men in the Room, the latter of which I highly recommend. Everyone talks about how evil Enron was, and they were, but no one really seems to know the whole story. There's going to be a special place in hell reserved for these pricks.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Recommend me modern war movies in the style of classic war-action movies such as Where Eagles Dare, the Dirty Dozen, and Guns of the Navarone. Besides Inglourious Basterds which I have yet a chance to see.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Joe Don Baker posted:

I loved Death Wish (3 and up were terrible). Recommend me some vigilante/revenge movies.

Maybe not exactly the definition of vigilante you might be thinking of but Falling Down is both a fun and funny "angry white guy vs. the world" movie as well as a commentary on the type of person who would do such things in real-life. It's the closest thing to a real Postal movie we'll ever get, really: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Q_nbw2Xvo

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

timeandtide posted:

You might like Manda Bala ("Send a Bullet"), which is a documentary about ransom-taking and corruption in Brazil. Interviews include a hostage-taker (masked), a former hostage (who had her ears cut off), a plastic surgeon (who rebuilds ears from rib cartilage), etc.

Recommend me some noirish gangster films like Le Samourai, Rififi, and The Red Circle (not necessarily French or vintage).

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Serious Michael posted:

Below will probably do one of those things.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Serious Michael posted:

So far I can think of:
U-571
The Hunt for Red October
Das Boot

It's a dumb (really dumb) comedy, but I love Down Periscope. :\

Argila
Oct 23, 2008

Serious Michael posted:

So far I can think of:
U-571
The Hunt for Red October
Das Boot

hopefully, "tora! tora! tora!" and "master and commander" count as navy.
Please recommend me movies or documentaries about sailing. Also movies about space, whether it be about exploration or space ship battles (excluding the obviously seen, star wars / trek, space odyssey)

Argila fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 30, 2009

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Dub posted:

Now, recommend me a movie for someone who's interested in war movies, but doesn't care much for all the standard war movie trappings (epic battle scenes; gung ho "US VS THEM" bravado, etc).

I've always liked Kelly's Heroes. Clint Eastwood plays a disgruntled GI in the European Theater of Operations during WW2 who hears about a bank full a Nazi gold deep behind enemy lines.... and goes to steal it.

Notable for Donald Sutherland playing a 60's hippie as a tank commander in the 40's. "You're sending out the negative waves, man!"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Argila posted:

Also movies about space, whether it be about exploration or space ship battles (excluding the obviously seen, star wars / trek, space odyssey)

Check out Event Horizon. It's a sci-fi horror movie set on a mysteriously derelict spaceship.

I'm looking for a zombie action movie. Note the "action": I want something more in the vein of 28 Days/Weeks Later than Romero's Dead series. I just saw the trailer for Zombieland and it's put me in the mood for some badass zombie-killin'.

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
The only two I can think of as far as zombie action go are the 2004 remake of dawn of the dead, and shaun of the dead, you've probably seen those though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Argila posted:

The only two I can think of as far as zombie action go are the 2004 remake of dawn of the dead, and shaun of the dead, you've probably seen those though.

I've seen Shaun of the Dead probably a half dozen times, but I never looked into the Dead remakes because I assumed they would suck. If they're actually pretty good then I will definitely look into them, though.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Check out Event Horizon. It's a sci-fi horror movie set on a mysteriously derelict spaceship.

I'm looking for a zombie action movie. Note the "action": I want something more in the vein of 28 Days/Weeks Later than Romero's Dead series. I just saw the trailer for Zombieland and it's put me in the mood for some badass zombie-killin'.

Peter Jackson's Dead Alive is quite good and has some action sequences. It's more of a comedy than an action zombie flick, but it has its moments. I kick rear end for the Lord!

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I've seen Shaun of the Dead probably a half dozen times, but I never looked into the Dead remakes because I assumed they would suck. If they're actually pretty good then I will definitely look into them, though.

Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is definitely worth checking out. Also, not very good films, but the Resident Evil series seems like what you're looking for. Also Uwe Boll's House of the Dead if you're in the mood for a laugh.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Binowru posted:

Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is definitely worth checking out. Also, not very good films, but the Resident Evil series seems like what you're looking for. Also Uwe Boll's House of the Dead if you're in the mood for a laugh.

Someone recommended the RE trilogy on another site, and while they're not exactly towering cinematic achievements, they're entertaining enough. I tried to watch House of the Dead a while back but it was just too awful to finish.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Someone recommended the RE trilogy on another site, and while they're not exactly towering cinematic achievements, they're entertaining enough. I tried to watch House of the Dead a while back but it was just too awful to finish.

I hope you at least got far enough for the line, "This book looks old. Maybe it can help us!" :haw:

GardenState
Jan 10, 2006
Hop on my scooter!

King Lur posted:

Recommend me movies that take place pretty much entirely in a single room or small area and focus primarily on character dialogue. For example The Man from Earth and Pontypool, both of which I watched recently and really enjoyed.

Phone Booth

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

- Recommend movies for someone who likes clever, quick-witted movies like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, featuring blink-and-you'll-miss-it one liners and hilarious dry humour, but isn't necessarily classed as a comedy.

I'd recommend In Bruges. It's billed as a comedy, but really downplays a lot of its humor. A lot of my friends have labeled it the British equivalent to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

King Lur posted:

Clerks? Clerks II?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

bad movie knight posted:

It's well-shot and interesting enough. I mean, I recognize that it's nowhere near a great movie, but I just can't get enough of it. I've watched it at least half a dozen times.

So I got around to seeing it, and I have to completely agree with this. It's not actually a good movie, but so slick and interesting that I enjoyed it all the way through. Also very much what I had asked for, slow burning and atmospheric.

King Lur posted:

Adding another one to your list, but you've probably seen it:
The Breakfast Club.

bitt3n posted:

Recommend me some noirish gangster films like Le Samourai, Rififi, and The Red Circle (not necessarily French or vintage).

It isn't really noir, more of a social study, but very "gangster" and also french (which is why it sprang to mind): La Haine ('95 by Kassovitz). Probably not quite what you're looking for, but look it up anyway, it's a fantastic movie.

Schurik fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 1, 2009

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Jay Dub posted:

I'd recommend In Bruges. It's billed as a comedy, but really downplays a lot of its humor. A lot of my friends have labeled it the British equivalent to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Can't believe this movie skipped my mind, it's really terrific and should be right up your alley if you loved Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

I tried to watch House of the Dead a while back but it was just too awful to finish.

Try the sequel, it's twice the movie Boll's cinematic abortion could ever hope to be, which means it's still barely watchable but it's got some good zombie action.

Other zombie actioners:
Alone in the Dark -- Fat Steven Seagal takes on hordes of intelligent mutant zombievampirethings in this laughfest.

Undead -- Aussie zombie actioner. It's been awhile since I've seen this and all I really remember is a lot of guns and shooting. Maybe a quad-shotgun?

Versus -- Jaw-dropping japanese action. Time-travellers and yakuza fight eachother and kill off any yakuza zombies they stumble across.

• Locked thread