Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

wizzardstaff posted:

really makes you think
Ovid was a Roman poet in the 1st century, C is the Roman numeral for 100, a century, 19 in Roman numerals is XIX. XIX was an album by Slipknot. Slipknot is an anagram of Plotniks, which is Russian for carpenters.

Who was a famous first century carpenter killed by the Romans and immortalized in verse?

That's right, Covid-19 is Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i like how so many people still dont know 19 is for 2019 .

cant be scientist being boring and practical got to be tinhat level poo poo.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

But it's 2020?!?!?!?!?!?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PhazonLink posted:

I mean, a major propaganda outlet masquerading as news was (is?) spreading that it's the 19th covid and the first 18 were no big deal.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Here's a good one:
Cancelling Aunt Jemima makes Leftists the REAL racists

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2971746632944896&id=100003287665969

That Facebook Link posted:

ARM YOURSELF WITH FACTS:
Her actual name was Nancy Green. She was a cook, activist & a storyteller. She was born a slave in 1834 in Kentucky. In 1890 she was hired to represent Aunt Jemimia as an advertising character. It was her job to operate the pancake cooking display at their expos.
Her personality and cooking talent made her an instant hit. She won a medal for her performance. After the expo she was offered a lifetime contract. She was working until her death until 1923.
Her career allowed her the freedom to become an activist and engage in anti poverty programs. She used her status to become a leading advocate against poverty and in favor of equal rights.
Green was known to be an attractive woman. A magnificent cook with an outgoing personality and a friendly nature. Her original painting, found on the syrup bottle, sold for $9030.00. It was rendered by A.B. Frost one of the great illustrators of the Golden Age.
The left has cancelled a black woman who went from actual slave to famous philanthropist.
SHARE HER STORY (Because, for some reason, they don't want you to).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Imagine being this mad online about pancake syrup mascots. But Millennials and Zoomers are the snowflakes, for sure.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
You must have missed out on the rants about updating Loony Tunes characters and Paw Patrol.

No one gets as easily offended as a conservative who has been feels they’ve been slighted, even if it was made up.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Nobody (including myself.. and yes, I'm sure some people did know) knew a thing about Nancy Green before any of this. Sorry, Nancy Green.

Their... I don't even know the best way to describe it - disingenuousness? - is what makes me the most angry. You never cared one bit before but suddenly care so much now, all so you can score points about not changing what is (it has become) at least in part a racist stereotype? Come the gently caress on.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

Nobody (including myself.. and yes, I'm sure some people did know) knew a thing about Nancy Green before any of this. Sorry, Nancy Green.

Their... I don't even know the best way to describe it - disingenuousness? - is what makes me the most angry. You never cared one bit before but suddenly care so much now, all so you can score points about not changing what is (it has become) at least in part a racist stereotype? Come the gently caress on.

They don't know even now and that dumb rant is full of misinformation.

After she was freed, Nancy Green was the personal servant of a white family. I don't know if they were her former owners or not, but they're the ones who got her the promotional job. The Aunt Jemima role brought her no wealth or independence - she made some appearances and told romantic stories about how happy the South was in the good old days, then some years later they replaced her with a new "Original Aunt Jemima." She was still working until her death, but in poverty as a household servant, not as an advertising icon. A while back her family tried to get Quaker Oats to fund a monument for her grave, but they refused since Aunt Jemima is a fictional character.

A.B Frost painted a Nancy Green Aunt Jemima, but it's not the painting you'll find on bottles today.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Imagine a Facebook post not being factual. What has the internet come to?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Invalid Validation posted:

Imagine a Facebook post not being factual. What has the internet come to?

My favorite part is when someone points out all the inaccuracies and outright lies, and the person who reposted the OP in the first place is all "Ok, so maybe it isn't factual, but the sentiment is what counts." or "It's close enough to the truth."

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Killer robot posted:

They don't know even now and that dumb rant is full of misinformation.

After she was freed, Nancy Green was the personal servant of a white family. I don't know if they were her former owners or not, but they're the ones who got her the promotional job. The Aunt Jemima role brought her no wealth or independence - she made some appearances and told romantic stories about how happy the South was in the good old days, then some years later they replaced her with a new "Original Aunt Jemima." She was still working until her death, but in poverty as a household servant, not as an advertising icon. A while back her family tried to get Quaker Oats to fund a monument for her grave, but they refused since Aunt Jemima is a fictional character.

A.B Frost painted a Nancy Green Aunt Jemima, but it's not the painting you'll find on bottles today.

I knew her story as relayed in that Facebook post because it's a copy-paste from the Wikipedia page on her, at least back when I read it. Thanks for filling out the full story.

Even if what it said were factual, Nancy Green didn't get cancelled, Aunt Jemima did.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

the_steve posted:

My favorite part is when someone points out all the inaccuracies and outright lies, and the person who reposted the OP in the first place is all "Ok, so maybe it isn't factual, but the sentiment is what counts." or "It's close enough to the truth."

Yeah exactly. My dad posts the "I don't know if this is true, but it doesn't hurt to ask questions."

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
And if you corner them on it you get "I just thought it was interesting!"

It really was a mistake to let boomers onto the internet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Medullah posted:

Yeah exactly. My dad posts the "I don't know if this is true, but it doesn't hurt to ask questions."

It doesn't hurt to make something up whole cloth to muddy the waters. Definitely super doesn't hurt. Nobody ever gets hurt, that's the coolest part about all of this! :cool:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ponzicar posted:

And if you corner them on it you get "I just thought it was interesting!"

It really was a mistake to let boomers onto the internet.

Yeah I defriended someone who posted a list of "things that prove the George Floyd video is fake" things. I pointed out how loving stupid and insulting that was and got exactly that "I'm not saying I believe it, but it is interesting and raises some questions".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Medullah posted:

Yeah I defriended someone who posted a list of "things that prove the George Floyd video is fake" things. I pointed out how loving stupid and insulting that was and got exactly that "I'm not saying I believe it, but it is interesting and raises some questions".

"I'm not saying I believe it" should legally be required to follow up with "But I am thinking it very loudly."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
A relative just shared that "All lives splatter" meme on Facebook earlier, had it blocked as hate speech, then promptly lost her poo poo demanding to find out who ratted her out.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Medullah posted:

"I'm not saying I believe it, but it is interesting and raises some questions".
In some metaGodwinian sense, I can't help but envision the only response being, "That's how Hitler started his speeches", with the appropriate poster/handbill. Bonus points if it includes German text.

If someone does the research and finds it isn't true, just respond with, "I didn't say I believed it, but it's interesting and raises some good questions".

Yeah, the slope is steep and slippery with these ones.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Killer robot posted:

A relative just shared that "All lives splatter" meme on Facebook earlier, had it blocked as hate speech, then promptly lost her poo poo demanding to find out who ratted her out.

Yeah my dad posted this which SEEMS innocent but yeah he's a big "All lives matter" guy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It's funny....none of these people can point to any point at which they've been asked to apologize for being white

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
One of my wife’s friends is big into Facebook tag groups, which I don’t really understand. But via her I’ve discovered that there’s a group called “Conservatives getting angry over things they made up themselves” which I think applies to so many things I end up seeing in this thread.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

borkencode posted:

One of my wife’s friends is big into Facebook tag groups, which I don’t really understand. But via her I’ve discovered that there’s a group called “Conservatives getting angry over things they made up themselves” which I think applies to so many things I end up seeing in this thread.

I used to have a thing for tag groups to the point that I own "technically correct, the best kind of correct" along with a few other semi-large ones

I haven't touched Facebook in a couple years but I still get requests to join them so someone is still doing the tag group thing

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Killer robot posted:

My mom shared a "Masks don't protect you and also reduce your O2 to dangerous levels" video a couple weeks ago. I almost gave her a snarky reply about how doctors and nurses are always passing out at work, but decided to just report it as fake news. Not sure if it got removed or not, but I've spoken to her since then without drama.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This isn't Red Alert 2 or the original Deus Ex, no need to worry.

Also I have no idea how you would even dismantle that statue. Besides which, only conservatives want to take that down anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Trump supporters destroying Statue of Liberty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIS0A3jTqKw

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
lol @ "bend the knee"

Yes, that's totally what's being asked of you here.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Guavanaut posted:

Trump supporters destroying Statue of Liberty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIS0A3jTqKw

Thought you were gonna go with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UVCEbonfg

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
This is from a childhood friend who started going chud during the protests. He's now up to the stage of sharing Prager videos :negative:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t want to get in trouble at work so I can’t really post it, but one of our clients received an “official antifa handbook” and sent out an email blast to everyone in her address book about what racist bullshit it was. The handbook is kind of hilarious in that it’s a horrible conservative fever dream of what antifa is and it’s all on printed out on coffee stained paper, presumably for credibility.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Ambitious Spider posted:

I don’t want to get in trouble at work so I can’t really post it, but one of our clients received an “official antifa handbook” and sent out an email blast to everyone in her address book about what racist bullshit it was. The handbook is kind of hilarious in that it’s a horrible conservative fever dream of what antifa is and it’s all on printed out on coffee stained paper, presumably for credibility.

Was it this one?

https://twitter.com/kgbeovac/status/1270299617905819648

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ambitious Spider posted:

Guessing it's this one that my Uncle posted a while back.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Hey fellow antifa we all know what I'm talking about here but for the sake of the dumb conservatives reading this manifesto let's just gloss some of our vocabulary"

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

jojoinnit posted:

This is from a childhood friend who started going chud during the protests. He's now up to the stage of sharing Prager videos :negative:

So is Lucy supposed to be a Republican then or...

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

jojoinnit posted:

Unborn Black Lives? Sounds like someone doesn't know about Mississippi Appendectomies.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Guessing it's this one that my Uncle posted a while back.

Yup which is the same one in the twitter thread above.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

quote:

IF YOU WANT TO UNFRIEND ME AFTER THIS, I DON'T CARE. I have more friends than I need anyhow...I HAVE THE RIGHT TO MY OPINIONS AND THIS IS HOW I SEE IT...

💯% Let me break it down...

1. Joe Biden isn’t winning just like Hillary wasn't winning.
2. Bubba Wallace wasn’t a victim.
3. Black lives do matter, along with everyone else.
4. What happened to Floyd should never happen again.
5. All cops definitely aren’t bad, nor are they all racist.
6. Trump is the President and doing a great job !
7. Rioters and looters have nothing to do with George Floyd. (And should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law).
8. Police lives matter.
9. Unborn lives matter.
10. Colin Kaepernick isn’t a hero, and never will be.
11. CNN isn’t news (nor is MSNBC)
12. Elizabeth Warren isn’t Indian just a fake person.
13. Facebook only censors conservatives.
14. All lives do matter (red, yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight).
15. COVID 19 is being used to gauge just how much of our freedom they can take away.
16. All fear is fueled by the media, this is a fact.
17. God is still in control and always will be.
18. Epstein did not kill himself. Nascar did kill themselves.
19. Most people are not racist.
20. There is NO White Privilege, we all have American Privilege.
21. There are no slave owners or slaves still living. There are no people trying to enslave anyone in the U.S., except for those here illegally selling women and children into the slave trade. And when the perpetrators are caught, their cold bodies should be thrown back over the wall.
22. LIFE is What YOU Make of it.
23. No one OWES You ANYTHING !
24. I stand for the Flag 🇺🇸 and National Anthem.
25. I kneel only for Jesus.

Bolded ones my favorite

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s a lot of words to say he doesn’t care about black people.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

That’s a lot of words to say he doesn’t care about black people.

It's awesome because this is the same relative that cares about ALL lives yet I remember constant dropping of the N word when I was growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Medullah posted:

quote:

19. Most people are not racist.
21. There are no slave owners or slaves still living. There are no people trying to enslave anyone in the U.S., except for those here illegally selling women and children into the slave trade. And when the perpetrators are caught, their cold bodies should be thrown back over the wall.

Most people are not racist but I just think Mexicans should stop stealing our white women and children for slaves.