Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The irony is exposure to welfare recipients can increases these biases. If you go into it already assuming most if not all welfare recipients are moochers your confirmation bias will only see behavior that reinforces that belief, making it even stronger.

That's actually interesting. Working with those types of people turned my thinking from "Those drat moochers! :argh:" to actually putting a face on them and realizing that life sucks enough as it is if you don't have some terrible thing happen or make some dumbass decision when your 16. Let's get these people some help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Got a live on today.

quote:

http://universalfreepress.com/report-germanwings-co-pilot-recent-convert-islam/

OH How nice is this. He should have just left his job and moved to Iran.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Got a live on today.

PI-News is a German site called Politically Incorrect. It's in German so I can't actually read their words, but it gladly links to Islamophobic sites, and has a button for the "German Defence League" and if the English Defence League is any indication, the German version is also going to be scared shitless of Muslims.

So basically a website that really hates Muslims is probably going to jump at the chance to claim Muslims did Bad Thing.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

PI-News is a German site called Politically Incorrect. It's in German so I can't actually read their words, but it gladly links to Islamophobic sites, and has a button for the "German Defence League" and if the English Defence League is any indication, the German version is also going to be scared shitless of Muslims.

So basically a website that really hates Muslims is probably going to jump at the chance to claim Muslims did Bad Thing.

The root source of the story is a blog post from a guy named Michael Mannheimer. His "evidence" is that the Co pilot spent some time after training in Bremen, and there's a mosque in Bremen that is under investigation for inciting radicalism, so therefore the pilot must have converted to Islam.

Needless to say but it's bullshit all the way down.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010
Not an email, but got in a long conversation with someone who insists everyone uses the word "racist" wrong. That for example Cliven Bundy isn't racist because he never personally restricted anyones freedom. That what he said was racial, not racist because there was no action he took based on the thoughts he expressed. He kept using the term "thought crime." Or that another guy saying that black people are more criminal than whites wasn't racist it was racial because he wasn't personally being the police officer doing anything about it. That if someone says "blacks are subhuman monkeys" that it is a racial statement, not racist because no one is being harmed by him thinking or even saying it. That it's just laziness and "crying wolf" (another phrase he used a lot) to call someone racist just for what they think. When I literally brought out a dictionary he scoffed saying that the dictionaries only use that definition because "that's how everyone else uses it but that doesn't make it correct."

A lot of conservative stuff rolls off me and I can let it go easily, but this has been eating at me. Is this coming from somewhere? Is there anything I can say?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"It can't be racist of me to think that black people are subhuman, because racists are bad people and I am not a bad person." This is the thought process.

It's up to you whether it's worth the effort to try to convince someone looking for an excuse to justify his disdain for black people that dehumanizing people is harmful.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Cpt.Americant posted:

Not an email, but got in a long conversation with someone who insists everyone uses the word "racist" wrong. That for example Cliven Bundy isn't racist because he never personally restricted anyones freedom. That what he said was racial, not racist because there was no action he took based on the thoughts he expressed. He kept using the term "thought crime." Or that another guy saying that black people are more criminal than whites wasn't racist it was racial because he wasn't personally being the police officer doing anything about it. That if someone says "blacks are subhuman monkeys" that it is a racial statement, not racist because no one is being harmed by him thinking or even saying it. That it's just laziness and "crying wolf" (another phrase he used a lot) to call someone racist just for what they think. When I literally brought out a dictionary he scoffed saying that the dictionaries only use that definition because "that's how everyone else uses it but that doesn't make it correct."

A lot of conservative stuff rolls off me and I can let it go easily, but this has been eating at me. Is this coming from somewhere? Is there anything I can say?

Sorry to tell you this but the person you were talking to is racist.

You should probably respond with "what you're saying sounds really racist" and then walk away. If it's your boss then say nothing at all because gently caress that.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

"It can't be racist of me to think that black people are subhuman, because racists are bad people and I am not a bad person." This is the thought process.

It's up to you whether it's worth the effort to try to convince someone looking for an excuse to justify his disdain for black people that dehumanizing people is harmful.

The thing is, he isn't even the one saying the racist stuff. I pointed to someone else's racist comment and then the whole thing happened. He even refers to the comments as ignorant to lump people together like that. I don't know why it's driving me so mad that he just keeps doing back flips to explain why it's only "racist" when there is actions otherwise it's "racial." There's exactly zero stacks in the conversation, it's just one of those, "where the hell is this coming from" kind of things.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Cpt.Americant posted:

The thing is, he isn't even the one saying the racist stuff. I pointed to someone else's racist comment and then the whole thing happened. He even refers to the comments as ignorant to lump people together like that. I don't know why it's driving me so mad that he just keeps doing back flips to explain why it's only "racist" when there is actions otherwise it's "racial." There's exactly zero stacks in the conversation, it's just one of those, "where the hell is this coming from" kind of things.

How are u posted:

Sorry to tell you this but the person you were talking to is racist.

You should probably respond with "what you're saying sounds really racist" and then walk away. If it's your boss then say nothing at all because gently caress that.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Cpt.Americant posted:

...When I literally brought out a dictionary he scoffed saying that the dictionaries only use that definition because "that's how everyone else uses it but that doesn't make it correct."

"Oh, you're only expressing that concept in a way everyone else understands. That doesn't mean you're expressing it right."

:allears:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Your friend's arguments are self-contradictory anyway. If words are harmless and only using force on people is bad, then calling someone racist is harmless and doesn't create a category of thoughtcrime since it has no legal force behind it either.

But okay, ask him for a source backing up his racial/racism terminology divide.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 28, 2015

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Yeah just ask why he/she thinks it's so important to make the distinction, and why calling someone racist when they've only said racist things is so harmful. I bet the response you'll get is "Well everyone says racist things, but not everyone does racist things." It'll be a good opportunity to let them know that no, not everyone says racist things all the time, and only bigoted assholes assume everyone thinks the way they do.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If you need some stuff to make him realise that words can be so very, very racist, show him this.

THIS WEEK IN LL101!

Ah yes, the outrage was so huge and real that you don't need to do anything to indicate what your little victim complex is about this time.

Meanwhile at a pro-life rally....

\Doing your job and not disrciminating is okay, but not doing your job and discriminating is not? What is this hypocrisy!

Ah yes, we all kno the huge impact that private jets make on the environment, easily being the number 1 offender.

The male peacocks are so abundant that they prioritze mating over survival. Thuis disproves evolution, because *extended fart noise*

Remember when slaves came to America willingly trying to work?

Yes, it is always Liberals that try to stop people being exposed to certain ideas.

Say what you will about the Atheists, but I'm, pretty sure God gets waym ore annoyed when you decide to portray yourself as Him, and that goes for shifting the blame of pissing off all the nonbelievers.

Yeah, I'm sure being an rear end in a top hat is a great way for them to succeed.

ANd thats why the second one is able to be removed at any time and live perfectly healthily. Oh, wait.

We are all for Individual rights. ALso, lets make sure thisr ight gets destroyed!

They couldn't even find a real Republican to represent a good one.

Insert hill blowing up gif.

Oh shut the gently caress up you disingeuous fuckers.

Why the gently caress even bother to have an image?

You can't be indepdent if you came to the same conslusion as everyone else - thought doesn't work like that!

Believed in qualifications not race, before, and believes in it now? HYPOCRISY!

Ah yes, all the black and latino voters in Israel. Hell, even if we try to follow theirtrain of thoguht its the complete opposite - Obama sought out the margibnalised, Nethanyahu appealled to the already way too priviliged and involved.

And which one will just shoot the first black guy he sees instead of the actual criminal?

Actually, don't answer that....

Walker is so five minutes ago - guess who the newest crazy crush is?

I'm suprised they're already flipflopping like this, I thought that wouldn;t come until the primaries were fully underway.

Why don't they stay in their own country instead of coming to what we keep calling the land of opportunity?

One said she could see Russia from Alaska, one talked about how her ancestors were enslaved. Clearly the former is a brilliant woman.

The one who spied on the US, undermined the presidency and is trying to sabotage US foreign policy for his own personal agenda?

A teacher thought he was smart? THE NEW REPUBLICAN MESSIAH!

If we don't shame anyone who stepsf oward and accuse them of making up rape stories, how will people take it seriously when we shame and slander people who had REAL rape stories?

Inclusivity? More like WEAKNESS!

This woman will not be swayed by any argument. Clearly she is the one who looks good here.

If only things were even worse for brown people, they'd manage to just become white people!

And I notice there's no reason this couldn't work the same with making Spanish mandatory.

Not caring since they're losing.

Its almost like Democrats actually care about policies and intelligence instead of a stupid checklist. And make sure that the person didn't cause the US to lose billions just to raise their own profile.

Yes, it was totally Reagans views that made him likeable - his likeability had nothing to do with it.

Thats an awful lot of words for "Good thing is actually bad thing".

Yeah, but you're still eating cock.

Part 2 when I wake up .

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Your friend's arguments are self-contradictory anyway. If words are harmless and only using force on people is bad, then calling someone racist is harmless and doesn't create a category of thoughtcrime since it has no legal force behind it either.

But okay, ask him for a source backing up his racial/racism terminology divide.

Yeah, each of his replies are kind of like a shotgun trying to make points all over the place. The last few replies I've tried honing in on making him try to source his claim. Closest he gave me was a link explaining that the word originated in 1935 to describe the Nazis, but when I confronted him that it doesn't actually define the word he just keeps coming back to some variation of "it's common knowledge" and "I learned it because history, you dumb SJW" about why actions are needed to make something racist. At this point if he doesn't source I'm just walking away.

I was just mostly curious if this racism/racial thing was like a talking point of some group or what have you, because for some reason I just find it so confounding. It seemed like some new kind of twisted crazy thinking so if it was original I also thought I'd share.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Racists redefining the word "racism" isn't new at all. Racist means bad, they think they're not bad so they need to come with a definition of racism that makes them not bad. This definition is fairly common although the "I hate X because of their culture, not because of their skin color. I don't see skin color and if you do you're the real racist" is probably the most common.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010
I guess I just meant the insistence that "only thoughts acted on are racist, otherwise they're racial" was new. At least new to me. It just seems like such an arbitrary distinction.. and he just kept insisting on this very specific detail. And not even a dog whistle "I just like don't like the culture" kind of stuff or bold faced denial like a "race realist." I've never really had anything to contribute to this thread before this.. I guess I live a sheltered life largely free of outright crazy people.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I have a feeling if he heard/saw some black people saying negative things against whites, he'd call them racist. Of course, asking him if he would during a conversation wouldn't work because he would just go "Of course I wouldn't call them racist!" because if he admitted otherwise he'd be destroying his own argument, but it is one of those things that would be nice to catch him on.

Fulchrum posted:

Say what you will about the Atheists, but I'm, pretty sure God gets waym ore annoyed when you decide to portray yourself as Him, and that goes for shifting the blame of pissing off all the nonbelievers.

I am a Christian and love God.

I only do what God says is right to do.

If a person is upset by it, then they are actually upset by God, who told me it is right to do it.

Since God is righteous and good, the only way to be upset by something good is if you are evil.

Since they are evil, obviously they hate God.

Therefore atheists hate God.

Actually this is probably the same logic they use to claim that more liberal Christian denominations like Episcopalians and Presbyterians are also evil and hate God.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
"This bizarre fictional construct called "Liberals" we constructed out of leaves and twine onto whom we attribute motives that make it seem like our political opponents are stupid rear end in a top hat children doesn't gel with what the actual left is doing. Must be because they're hypocrites!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fulchrum posted:

A teacher thought he was smart? THE NEW REPUBLICAN MESSIAH!
They've used "liberal icon and Harvard elitist likes person, therefore person equals bad" before, now they're using "liberal icon and Harvard elitist likes person, therefore person equals good."

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

Inclusivity? More like WEAKNESS!

I don't care why to do it. I am up for jazz hands replacing clapping in all situations. There are very few situations where clapping would be used that jazz hands wouldn't be better used.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dershowitz is also a protoMRA and friend of sex trafficking pedo Jeffery Epstein. Makes you think...

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Love that comma use on bullets 3 and 5.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For that Palin one, it was actually Tina Fey that said that she can see Russia from her house.

That said, it wouldn't have been a funny joke if it wasn't half plausible, in the same way that "Strategery" was only funny because it was just a slight exaggeration of Bush's speaking.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I'm gonna be honest here, it really doesn't matter. I'm not Jackie Chan here, I'm some schlub who works with computers and enjoys playing video games. There's not a lot of training someone would have to do to be able to kill me specifically, and geographical political structures play more of an impact in my likelihood of being caught at random in an attack than anything else. Outside of the Mall of America, terrorists aren't likely giving a poo poo about anything in Minnesota.

The ego to imagine this sense of importance must be suffocating.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm gonna be honest here, it really doesn't matter. I'm not Jackie Chan here, I'm some schlub who works with computers and enjoys playing video games. There's not a lot of training someone would have to do to be able to kill me specifically, and geographical political structures play more of an impact in my likelihood of being caught at random in an attack than anything else. Outside of the Mall of America, terrorists aren't likely giving a poo poo about anything in Minnesota.

But what if the terrorists have 300 million recruits, each one on special training to kill one specific American? And now they know you're in Minnesota!

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For that Palin one, it was actually Tina Fey that said that she can see Russia from her house.

That said, it wouldn't have been a funny joke if it wasn't half plausible, in the same way that "Strategery" was only funny because it was just a slight exaggeration of Bush's speaking.

That always annoys me because it seems to me that they're trying to play it off as something that was made up whole cloth when it really is just a slight exaggeration of Palin's speaking. She tried to use Alaska's proximity to Russia to bolster her foreign policy credentials in an interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXL86v8NoGk

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mehuyael posted:

But what if the terrorists have 300 million recruits, each one on special training to kill one specific American? And now they know you're in Minnesota!

It's actually a feint, I still have my Home Alone skills.

A Home Alone remake where a kid outwits a pair of bumbling terrorists would sell like hotcakes I'd wager.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Cpt.Americant posted:

I guess I just meant the insistence that "only thoughts acted on are racist, otherwise they're racial" was new. At least new to me. It just seems like such an arbitrary distinction.. and he just kept insisting on this very specific detail. And not even a dog whistle "I just like don't like the culture" kind of stuff or bold faced denial like a "race realist." I've never really had anything to contribute to this thread before this.. I guess I live a sheltered life largely free of outright crazy people.

That arbitrary distinction makes all the difference in the world when it lets you think you're not racist. There's about as many different ways to rationalize racism as not really racism as there are racists.

Mo_Steel posted:

One of my old Army buddies pretty much just posts about ISIS all the time. Judging from his posts there should be ISIS landing craft landing several divisions of troops on the Gulf Coast of Texas any day now. Any guesses as to what job this stone-cold killer does in the Army?

42A Human Resources Specialist

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mo_Steel posted:

Seriously I have no idea the point of that. If ISIS or whatever magically had the ability to come to Texas and murder me I guess I'm hosed, yea. Am I supposed to live my entire life in a constant state of fear and aggression? What kind of lovely way to live is that, I mean what kind of bitter, warped, person would I turn into if I spent my life obsessing over the vague fear that some foreign rear end in a top hat may want to kill me for no good reason?

Wow, glad no one actually IS like that, huh?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
On Yemeni facebook they have the same meme except its a picture of a drone pilot.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Where did this "atheists hate God" thing come from? (Not atheists is my guess)

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

Not caring since they're losing.

What was I doing? How about living my life and going about my business as normal, just like the media and the government have been telling me that it's crucial that I do EVERY SINGLE DAY since 9/11? I was unaware that there was a sense on the right that we aren't scared enough of the terrorists.

Come to think of it, this seems like EXACTLY the message an actual terrorist would want us to see. So, good work right-wing meme-makers!

Moxie posted:

Where did this "atheists hate God" thing come from? (Not atheists is my guess)

To a certain type of Christian, the idea of God is so basic and self-evident that they cannot conceive someone could actually not believe. To them, the only explanation for someone being an Atheist is that they hate God and are actively rebelling. I think it was Hovind, who had an article where he compared atheists to children whose parents are mad at them, so they cover their ears and shout "you're not real!" That is essentially their understanding.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

letthereberock posted:

To a certain type of Christian, the idea of God is so basic and self-evident that they cannot conceive someone could actually not believe. To them, the only explanation for someone being an Atheist is that they hate God and are actively rebelling. I think it was Hovind, who had an article where he compared atheists to children whose parents are mad at them, so they cover their ears and shout "you're not real!" That is essentially their understanding.

It's also their response to the criticisms of the downright capricious ways God acts. Like this example.

"God says punch me or a lion kills you" "yeah whatever" *is killed by lion*

Like, did Lion Food know this man was a prophet?

Or, when He murdered children with bears for making fun of a guy's bald head.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

letthereberock posted:

It's also a very old Christian trope - early stories about St. Helena (Constantine's mother) finding the True Cross in Jerusalem involve perfidious Rabbis who refuse to tell her where it's buried, because they know that Christ was the Messiah, and if the True Cross is discovered, all the people will be converted and the Rabbis will lose their wealth and status. If I recall correctly, one of the hagiographies also has a line about the Rabbis being jealous that God expanded the covenant to gentiles as well, which is where "hating God" is the most analogous. Of course there's one Jew who defects and tells Helena where the Cross is as soon as he learns everyone else knows that Jesus was the Son of God. But plenty of anti-Jewish or anti-pagan screeds throughout the middle ages have similar foils.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 28, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey those are all great answers but in reality that meme came from the lovely (now on Netflix) Kirk Cameron movie "God is NOT Dead" in which an atheist professor demands every student in his class sign an oath saying there is no god until one brave Christian student debates him over like a week, ending with him grilling the professor (hilariously played by Kevin Sorbo) on how his wife recently died of cancer and eventually pushing a clearly still grieving man through emotional abuse until he has an emotional outburst where he shouts that he hates God for taking his wife away. The student then smugly asks how he can hate someone who doesn't exist and the class erupts in applause for him and all agree that God is NOT Dead after all.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
God might not be dead but he sure sounds like an rear end in a top hat. Way to go Kirk.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey those are all great answers but in reality that meme came from the lovely (now on Netflix) Kirk Cameron movie "God is NOT Dead" in which an atheist professor demands every student in his class sign an oath saying there is no god until one brave Christian student debates him over like a week, ending with him grilling the professor (hilariously played by Kevin Sorbo) on how his wife recently died of cancer and eventually pushing a clearly still grieving man through emotional abuse until he has an emotional outburst where he shouts that he hates God for taking his wife away. The student then smugly asks how he can hate someone who doesn't exist and the class erupts in applause for him and all agree that God is NOT Dead after all.

And that Student's/Marine's/Bear's name was Albert Einstein. :smug:

I'm still amazed they turned that old chain letter into a full, feature-length movie.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alkydere posted:

And that Student's/Marine's/Bear's name was Albert Einstein. :smug:

I'm still amazed they turned that old chain letter into a full, feature-length movie.

And that they hail this lovely rhetorical gotcha as a :master:.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That still pisses me off, as someone who actually teaches philosophy. I haven't taught about the existence of god since the movie came out, but I know people who have, and one reaction they've gotten is surprise that the professor isn't a raging rear end in a top hat about religion. Thanks for making a hard job harder, assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And that they hail this lovely rhetorical gotcha as a :master:.

Seriously I forgot what review said it but the movie was best summed up with "At best this kid did a lovely 'gotcha' moment and flustered someone, at worst he actively emotionally tortured a man who lost his wife recently because he was mad he didn't believe in God, neither of these make him a hero to anyone but crazy people".