Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
I received this gem today. The girl who sent it to me hated my guts in school but for some reason has decided we will be casual acquaintances, and also that since we both spent 13 years in the same podunk Alabama school that we share the same views.

Starner Jones, MD posted:

I am a seventh generation Mississippian and wanted to come back here after going somewhere else for college and medical school. My extracurricular interests are golf, hunting, fishing and college football.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This should be on the front page of every newspaper in America —in large bold letters. This was a "letter to the editor" in August 29th Jackson , MS newspaper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sirs:

"During my last night's shift in the ER, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient with a shiny new gold tooth, multiple elaborate tattoos, a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and a new cellular telephone equipped with her favorite R&B tune for a ringtone. Glancing over the chart, one could not help noticing her payer status: Medicaid. She smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and, somehow, still has money to buy beer.

And our Congress expects me to pay for this woman's health care? Our nation's health care crisis is not a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. It is a crisis of culture — a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. A culture that thinks "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Life is really not that hard. Most of us reap what we sow.

Don't you agree?

STARNER JONES, MD
Jackson , MS

Snopes does report that the letter is correctly attributed, and it did actually appear in the Jackson newspaper, and there is an actual Dr Starner Jones (his name is Roger Starner Jones but he didn't use his first name here while he does everywhere else, so I am forced to conclude that he is a coward as well as a racist d-bag) so at least she has that going for her.

I replied to her with some good old-fashioned Gul Banana copypasta. It's long so I won't quote it all, but the major points of smackdown:

Gul Banana posted:

"It is immoral to force me to pay for others' healthcare."
You are already paying for others' healthcare. Furthermore, you are paying far more than you would be under UHC. The U.S. government incurs massive costs from paying hospital fees when ER visitors have no money, and from the limited coverage that it provides, which cannot take advantage of economies of scale and which has to subsidise corporate profit.

As demonstrated above, U.S. taxes devoted to healthcare are the highest in the world. Even if you choose not to have health insurance, under the current system, you are still paying more for others' healthcare than you would be paying for theirs plus your own under UHC.

"Why don't we try making the system even more private instead? That might help."
It might. However, there's no evidence to suggest it, and many reasons to presume it wouldn't. By its nature, the less publicly-supported a system, the more people will be unable to purchase health services.

The only potential gain would be reduced costs due to some sort of market mechanism, and in practice this has never occurred; every private healthcare system that has ever existed in world history has proved inefficient and been replaced by public systems, and given the demonstrable gains that have resulted the U.S. must follow.

I also made it clear that she should not send me another forward unless she is prepared for fact-checking and, if necessary, ridicule.

Note as well that she sent this mass e-mailing to no fewer than two of our black former classmates, one of whom is among my best friends to this day. I'm sure that, if pressed, she will deny the welfare-queen dogwhistles. But, you know, Dr. Jones could just have easily described a middle-aged unemployed man who arrived in a shiny-new Dodge Ram, had just purchased season tickets for Talladega for himself and his common-law wife, and smoked heavily, but was on Medicaid. He chose to invoke the welfare queen instead. So gently caress him, and gently caress this lady too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU