Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

How are u posted:

:golfclap:

Bravo. I almost wish I had a slew of idiots posting this stuff on my facebook so I could respond with this and some of the other wonderful edits in this thread.

All I got is one related by marriage relative who constantly 'likes' things from Newsbusters.org which all go something like this:

Newsbusters posted:

UNBELIEVABLE! A LIBERAL said something on one of those 3 liberal media networks! Can you believe they said that! How shocking and dumb! Because LIBERALS are always wrong about stuff! LIBERALS. LIBERAL MEDIA. LIBERALS. Conservatives never say dumb things. No Siree. Never. Its always LIBERALS. And we are the watchdog over those 3 LIBERAL MEDIA networks that are LIBERAL. We're one of the 5 million websites dedicated to telling you about those like, maybe, 12 LIBERAL media outlets that you should be scared of because we said so and confirmation bias and whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ugh, someone on facebook is 'liking' those stupid "I BUILT THIS OBAMA!" bullshit photos.

http://imgur.com/dtqOK

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Relative on facebook was just railing against the minimum wage increase first saying that it would cause inflation, then he moved the goalposts and said it would cause a recession.

He also says that any moron who knows anything about 'free-market economics' knows that increasing the minimum wage does this and anyone who doesn't already know this is not fit to vote.

Maybe I live in a blue cocoon, but that is the first time I have heard ANYONE, not even mises moron, say anything about how minimum wage increases cause recessions.

I mean, sure, its kind of convincing to see increases in minimum wage followed by... at some time... a recession but its like he totally just doesn't remember that other things that could cause a recession.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 10, 2012

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey true story: my mom had too much money in her 401k and she had too many assets (25k into a 100k mortgage) and she couldn't get any benefits! That means she couldn't get any assistance and died because she couldn't get any help or medication.

She worked almost her entire life (until she was laid off) and paid a lot into the system that hosed her.

So, yea, its a personal anecdote, but anyone who thinks someone should be dirt poor before they get assistance can try arguing with my baseball bat.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

NatasDog posted:

He must be getting tired of getting sniped by me though, because he posted this

I wish I could do this poo poo. Unfortunately, I can't because of family dynamics. Since I know in my heart that one of these days I'm gonna go off on the person and just TROLL THE EVERLOVING gently caress out of the person, I blocked myself from seeing any of the person's updates without removing from friends list.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

NatasDog posted:

The problem with that approach is that you'll never change anyone's mind by ignoring them.

The Facebook person posted some bullshit about how if people don't agree about his version of economics, they are dumb and they should not be allowed to vote.

Some 'discussion' ensued, and I linked this:
http://www.irle.berkeley.edu/workingpapers/157-07.pdf

The person's response was essentially along the lines of I shouldn't believe everything I read online, especially from the liberal media. He also left the argument by complaining that I was the one who did not have interest in listening to 'common sense, irrefutable' evidence. He also basically inferred that his evidence is irrefutable because he's talked to 'a lot of people and business owners' who agree with him completely.

This is not someone who can be reasoned with. It is quite obvious that the person did not even open the file, let alone read it. It was dismissed immediately simply because it had 'berkeley.edu' in the address. The person who accused me of not arguing in good faith left the argument like a loving child.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 14, 2012

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bruce Leroy posted:

1. Economics is a bit more complicated than, "Pfft, the government is so stupid, if they raise my taxes, I'll just charge more for my goods/services." A business owner couldn't simply keep raising prices to compensate for increases in taxes, as not every product or service has perfectly inelastic or even mostly inelastic demand. At a certain point, depending on numerous other factors (e.g. substitute goods, quality, brand recognition, etc.), increasing prices is going to lead to decreases in demand and, eventually, decreases in revenue and profits.

A business may also not be able to raise prices in reaction to tax because its competitor may already be more efficient and cost conscious at what it does and can just absorb the tax increase like it was nothing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

"gently caress You Got High"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This meme seems to be popping up on Facebook a lot and it is really bothering me.

It's not like the colonists were stockpiling weapons for a Duty Free Indian Hunting Day in the Appalachians.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ror posted:

If anyone is curious what their "Index of Dependence" score means:

And now I found out that the Heritage Foundation is the worst and made a GIF with an invisible background.

It's from the 2012 report.

First thing listed in the Index is the mortgage credit. Graph is immediately invalidated.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was due to it being made by the Heritage Foundation?

Good point. But it is probably healthier to attack the actual stats and not just the source.

Wang_Tang posted:

opinion. Why do they still fall the way they do?

The average age between both cities is what drives my inquiry.

I am probably mistaken because I don't know Provo at all, but it certainly looks like all of the privately owned buildings and houses in Detroit are in shambles while Provo has a vibrant civic scene.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sean Archer posted:

notracist.jpg

Well, if you have cable, Honey Boo Boo is available.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

vyelkin posted:

Yep, the British Empire ended in 1781 and home invasions are no longer a thing. Good job, Gun Owners.

Look at all those evil things that were repelled by a bird hunter!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

I knew it would only be a matter of time before I started seeing this type of poo poo.

:toot:

You show great drive and workmanship, here's a quarter raise!

Hallelujah! Not sure what those union thugs are so mad about!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bo-Pepper posted:

I didn't know exactly where to go so I figure this thread is as good as any. I got into a conversation with my father where he dropped the bomb saying there have been no cases where people from the right have tried to shut down incidents of left leaning people speaking their mind publicly. Whereas lefties try to shout down right wingers all the time. My mind melted a little bit as I couldn't believe his rose colored glasses towards this idea of the noble conservative willingness to hear out liberal speakers wherever they may find themselves. When I told him I couldn't believe there were no incidents of conservative censorship of liberal speakers, he demanded examples.

I have none at hand but I intend to bring him some. Any examples you can help out with? Or where would be a good place to look?

Free Speech Zones

edit: oops, already mentioned.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

Forced conversion is generally frowned upon in most major religions.

Does forced 'conversion' from gay to straight count?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't know how EBT works, but isn't it just like an allotted amount of money that you get a month for food that's tied to a card or whatever? If that money doesn't disappear after the month, isn't it possible to save up for things?

Just asking because everyone's always complaining about people on food assistance buying luxuries like lobster.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OAquinas posted:

The internet has got to be the worst development for debate ever. Because no matter how batshit your beliefs are, you can find "proof" for them somewhere on the net and then you feel reassured and vindicated and cling that much stronger to them.

At this point you're arguing against people's beliefs, and that's akin to trying to disprove god. Good luck!

Well, back in the day all someone had to say 'no i read somewhere that'

These days, you can all read that same somewhere. So everyone has a chance to attack the source.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mo_Steel posted:

To expand upon this with program data instead of first hand accounts, here

Quoting this so hopefully I remember to download when I have the chance. First thing I'm going to search for is 'lobster'.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey man, they can't be racist if they aren't KKK

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

KillerJunglist posted:

She posted this on facebook yesterday:

Yea but what phone line actually makes you press a number for English? All of the ones I call say (in Spanish) "press * for Spanish".

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea, but WW2 only proves the point of Keynes. It was the ultimate stimulus program.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ugh, a relative is on FB again:

quote:

I-95 and I-75 will be jammed for the next month or so with druggies and deadbeats heading North out of Florida , because this is the first state in the union to require drug testing to receive welfare!

Hooray for Florida ! In signing the new law, Republican Gov. Rick Scott said, "If Floridians want welfare, they better make sure they are drug-free."

Applicants must pay for the drug test, but are reimbursed if they test drug-free. Applicants who test positive for illicit substances, won't be eligible for the funds for a year, or until they undergo treatment. Those who fail a second time will be banned from receiving funds for three years!

Naturally, a few people are crying this is unconstitutional.
How is this unconstitutional? It's a legal requirement that every person applying for a job has to pass drug tests in order to get the job, why not those who receive welfare?

Forward this if you agree!
Let's get welfare back to the ones who need it, not to those who won't get a job.
I AGREE, DO YOU?

This poo poo is old news, and its already been shown that the program costs the state money, and doesn't save any.

Also, I wasn't aware that there was a law that had anything to do with drug testing for jobs. Probably because it isn't.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

Get a friend to dress up as an AC-130 but have them stand at the other end of a room at a party telling people they can't get permission to cross the room to help you.

Just say you have a friend dressed up as an AC-130 and they're on their way. The friend shows up as the party is over.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Anyone who has to use the term 'common sense', does not have the ability to explain their reasoning beyond a commoner's understanding. :smug:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

We rely on Scalia for that interpretation!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Deen's racial slurs were from a whopping 3 years ago.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think I'm going to write my own version, "National Guard fires on Occupy Boston, five killed, six injured"

I'm conflicted though, part of me wants to portray the protesters in a positive light, on the other hand, it'd be funny to do a "Goddamned Liberals stirring up poo poo, threatened the national guard and got their own dumb asses shot in self defense" article. The fact that Sam Adams was basically a crime boss is really swaying me towards a negative version.

Yea well here's the thing: you don't have to make up a story about liberal protesters being shot at and killed by the National Guard in the USA.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That's a real big downer to me.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Radish posted:

It's also what makes the white people freakout about how dare we have a conversation about how race affected every aspect of this incident while at the same time wringing hands about how SOMETHING about this kid they just can't articulate points to him attacking Zimmerman unprovoked as concrete fact so frustrating.

There's nothing more disgusting than white people telling black people when racism is over, except when white people tell black people what's wrong with black people- and how to solve it.

It is so infuriating, so obvious, but I still can't articulate it to people who don't already get it.

You look back at when Obama was first elected president. Who talked about this being a post racial society? It certainly wasn't black people! Think about it. Remember how many black people that news agencies tried to trot out in front of the camera to get them to say that? Absolutely none of them said "Yup, certainly no racism here, no sir". They all said "Nope, things are getting better, still a lot of work to be done". But no one gave a gently caress, every news team in the loving country kept on trying to find a black person who would tell them different. When no one did, they ignored it and still decided to pat themselves on the back for a job well done just because they elected a black president.

You look at the news today, its all but a foregone loving conclusion that we're in a post-racial society (as decided by all the important white people), and that people like Obama are breaking that down. What?

Things are so hosed up, you can't make a point about how white people are still racist without some retarded loving rear end in a top hat responding with "Well, what about black on black crime?"

What about it? It's a problem, but its not a loving excuse for (racist shithead) to be a racist piece of poo poo. Tell me, how much more do black people have to do for (racist shithead) to not be racist? Why is it their problem to deal with and not (racist shithead)'s?

Sorry for the rant, it's a cry for help: I'd like more good ideas how to articulate to these people that they're dumb racists.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SaltLick posted:

:sigh:

I need to move out of Texas already.

It looks to me like they're trying to give him CPR.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The "This needs to go viral" facebook post with the "Afterburner" segment from some douchebag Bill Whittle keeps popping up. Ugh. (Afterburner TV is an online show produced by none other than Pajamas Media- the self styled "center-right" news source. The same Pajamas Media that employed Joe the Plumber for about a week).

Not even a minute after this shitbag host complains about the 'media' not doing its job to report the 'facts' in the case, he goes on and rattles off things that just aren't true- and uses a hell of a lot of heavy handed and colorful language.

Sorry I only watched it on my phone, don't have the guts to launch it (or Facebook) here on the system I'm on now, or else I'd link it.

Edit; ridiculously easy to find on YouTube,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebu6Yvzs4Ls

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 25, 2013

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Wife of a Marine posts a lot of 'rah rah, support the military because they're gods gift to democracy' poo poo on Facebook. I usually ignore most of it, but this one is notable because Snopes says its true even though their explanation pretty much glosses over that a lot of the facts are changed.

Here's the quote from Facebook:

quote:

Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock , did something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of her classroom.

When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks.

'Ms. Cothren, where're our desks?'

She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn the right to sit at a desk.'

They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.'

'No,' she said.

'Maybe it's our behavior.'

She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior.'

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom.

By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in Ms. Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the deskless classroom, Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he or she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it.
Twenty-seven (27) U.S. Veterans, all in uniform, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall. By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

By the way, this is a true story. And this teacher was awarded Teacher of the Year for the state of Arkansas in 2006.

Please don't forget that the freedoms we have in this great country were earned by U. S. Veterans. Always remember them and the rights they have won for us.

Here's the link to snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/nodesks.asp

Here's the info that Snopes provides which contradicts what they're saying is true:
1. This was a "Military History" class, not your typical social studies class.
2. The class doesn't even use a loving textbook to begin with.
3. She was awarded "Teacher of the Year" ... by the VFW.

Sure, I'd have to dig deeper, but at this point I'm really doubting there were 'news crews gathering in the classroom' either. So far all of the google results just point to "TRUE STORY AS FIRST TOLD BY MIKE HUCKABEE AT CPAC IN 2007"

Anyway, I don't really get it because its not like the kids ever earned the right to sit at those desks, so why were the desks brought in at all? They certainly can't fight for FREEDOM if they aren't even old enough to join the military.

And the point is loving lost on all the other kids from the previous 8 or 9 or however many periods that school has in a day.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Inaction Jackson posted:

For the most part, you can't go around and pick and choose which hospital you go to and which surgeon you get. You certainly can't sit down and talk to every single potential provider about the costs of every single possible procedure and make a well-informed decision about which ones you think are worth paying for.

I think it was a PBS special on healthcare (forget the exact program), where they made the point where in the US, you couldn't even really get an estimate of how much something was going to cost if you tried comparison shopping. Other countries (I think, Japan's health service) go so far as to have printed books that say how much each procedure costs.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You could also point out that just because he is an all-or-nothing guy, it doesn't mean he can project that onto you.

My response, though, is usually something along the lines of: "I'm so loving tired from defending Obama for dumb poo poo people like you accuse him of that he isn't remotely responsible for, that I just don't have any more loving energy to criticize him for poo poo that he is responsible for."

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just found this in a Craigslist rant and rave and I'm not sure where else to post it. It is a seriously huge pile of weird nonsense.

I made the mistake of checking out Rants and Raves for my city. I guess the good news is that I have a great example to show people that racism is alive and well in America.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Me in Reverse posted:

Facebook.txt

Is this the post where someone complains that that million muslim march is allowed on 9/11 but some years ago they wouldn't let bikers in?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Tomahawk posted:

Some idiot my friends know:

Ah yes, this is my health insurance policy: a gun and some antibiotics. He's also vegan, so he plans to just "forage for plants" when Obamacare finally brings down this once great and free nation.

That's a whole bunch of poo poo for a retard who wouldn't even be able to figure out a Half Life 2 physics puzzle.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Wanderer posted:

I've been trying to come up with a comment on this article all day that isn't just "What? No."

I'll give a stab at it and correct me if I'm wrong:

quote:

A bunch of loving poo poo

Except the fact that Congress decided on spending already and now the bill is due, and the Republicans are refusing to pay unless we remove Obamacare. Which, pretty much would render your whole argument null and horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's official, my brother gone off the deep edge...

quote:

Something liberals will never ever learn, or ever understand for that matter.

Lincoln never said this. gently caress, googling "Abraham Lincoln poor quote" this is the first result: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lincoln/prosperity.asp

Posted this link after the picture as well:
http://goo.gl/dzsrD

Shows a bunch of destruction after natural disasters, and then starts out with "WHAT DO YOU DO IF URBAN WARFARE GANGSTERS COME KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR?" and then tries to sell you emergency preparedness kits.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 30, 2013