Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Kavak posted:

I can't decide what the best part is.

I think it might be the completely random inclusion of Lindsay Grham (sic) as a turncoat.

Beyond the rumors of homosexuality, what has he done to be listed beside Gore / Lieberman / Panetta in this delusion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Lansdowne posted:

That just got me to think of an angle I never heard considered before. If you believe life truly does begin at conception, shouldn't that mean all fetuses provably conceived within US borders are citizens? Or do they not become citizens until physically born here? If so, does this introduce some sort of grey period where a fetus is a person, just not a citizen of any country?

Nothing really meaningful to consider, but it might be fun to watch the gears turn in the head of your favorite pro-lifer.

The likely answer is that they would argue for abolishing jus soli citizenship in favor of proving that one (both?) parents are already citizens.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

My Uncle posted:

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

RagnarokAngel posted:

Help me out here, I don't understand. It can't be saying you have to work 138 hours a week to live in New Jersey.

That is a map showing the number of hours needed to work, per week, at minimum wage to afford a "fair market value" 2-bedroom apartment.

Edit: "Fair Market Rent" is determined by HUD.
http://www.huduser.org/portal/datasets/fmr/fmrs/docsys.html&data=fmr12

Edit 2: The graphic comes from a report by the National Low Income Housing Coalition: http://nlihc.org/oor/2012

Edit 3: A better graphic from that same report:

Capt. Sticl fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 27, 2013

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
There is this sketch from a British comedy show about the difference between weather and climate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlHaGhYoF0

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Captain Filth posted:

Chicago pays the highest wages to teachers than anywhere else in the U.S. averaging $110,000/year.
Their pensions average 80-90% of their income. You can't blame that on republicans because there aren't any.
Wow, are Illinois and Chicago great or what?

I know the number is probably bullshit. But, since when is TEACHERS getting good pay a negative?

"Republicans cannot take credit for providing good wages for one of the most important professions in all of society. " Sounds about right.

Also, not a forwarded thing but I saw this screed posted on my facebook feed:

quote:

I’ve got a little tirade to go on about the media hoopla about the people taking offense to the Washington Redskins team name. First, I want to point out the difference between, denotation and connotation. Denotation is the literal definition of the word, while connotation is the emotional meaning of the word. For example, if I were to say the word President, about fifty percent of you would have a negative feeling, while the other fifty percent would have a positive feeling. Not saying one side is wrong for having a feeling evoked, but what I am saying is that is absolutely absurd to argue to change or remove any word because of how it makes you feel. Many words we use today, albeit, probably incorrectly, derived from some other meaning; however, the connotation of those words have evolved over the years. On to the Media, amidst most of agenda pushing babble, I have seen no trace of journalism. Stop selling me your agenda and report the facts. You can’t roll a piece of crap in powder sugar and sell it as a jelly donut. Also, if you do not want to use the word REDSKINS in your publications, so be it. But don’t tell me about it, I don’t need to know, and I will treat you with the same respect when I decide not to read your column or agenda pushing crap. Also, I will also point out, you refusing to use a word hurts nobody, and is a blatant grab at notoriety. You aren’t a child of the world; you’re just full of crap. “Journalist” are embarrassing and disrespecting the generations of real journalist before them by making a mockery of the profession. It’s no wonder your medium is dying. Well now that’s out there, and some of you may read this and say he is pushing an agenda. That’s right, I am, but I am not on a platform calling my tirade news. While laced with facts it is merely an expression of my frustration (and no one is paying me or calling me a journalist). Let’s go REDSKINS.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

1stGear posted:

Okay, cracker/kike/wetback/<insert appropriate racial slur here>

I usually don't comment on things, preferring not to see how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Although, I'm very tempted to post this and ask which team names are acceptable:

Edit: gently caress it, posted. Let's see where this goes.

Capt. Sticl fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 20, 2013

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's not 100% serious of course but Cracked does an armchair analysis of how much it would cost to cover up the 9/11 conspiracy

http://www.cracked.com/article_15740_was-911-inside-job_p2.html

Unless the illuminati is funding, that's a lot of money that the US government doesnt have

Obviously that's the reason for high taxes and the recent depression!

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
Here's one from Forbes which they might respect more:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2011/12/08/congress-exempted-from-obamacare/

Also, the actual text of the law, section 1312 (from http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights/law/index.html ):

quote:

16 (D) MEMBERS OF CONGRESS IN THE EX-
17 CHANGE.—
18 (i) REQUIREMENT.—Notwithstanding
19 any other provision of law, after the effec-
20 tive date of this subtitle, the only health
21 plans that the Federal Government may
22 make available to Members of Congress and
23 congressional staff with respect to their serv-
24 ice as a Member of Congress or congres-
25 sional staff shall be health plans that are— 158
HR 3590 EAS/PP
1 (I) created under this Act (or an
2 amendment made by this Act); or
3 (II) offered through an Exchange
4 established under this Act (or an
5 amendment made by this Act).

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

nyquil hangover posted:

Why would you want to name sports team after an ethnic slur? Even if you don't think it's offensive, you're alienating a huge potential fan base who might otherwise support that team, buy merchandise, etc. It's bad business.

And, yknow, dehumanizing and insensitive. But that's just POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

When I think of racist team names, none of them chosen with even the slightest though they might be alienating potential fans. The Redskins were founded in 1932... not exactly a period of racial awareness. The Cleveland Indians took on their name in 1915. The Atlanta Braves (then the Boston Braves) in 1912.

I think we can all agree the team names should be changed. But at the time the names were chosen, I don't think anyone would have imagined they might alienate any potential fans.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

nyquil hangover posted:

I meant why would they keep the name as something offensive. It's too early in the morning to write coherently.

I have no explanation for that... except I have to assume the owners feel the changing of the name would cause a bigger scandal than keeping the name. Seeing people's response to the idea that 'redskins' might be racist... I probably agree (from a business-ish standpoint). I imagine, in the short term at least, changing the name would generate significant bad feelings for the club. I would expect that, in the medium to long term, it won't make any difference. The people who are going to like their local team will like it regardless of the name. But I imagine the initial change would go poorly for the club.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

VitalSigns posted:

When this was pointed out, my friend said she won the "Presidential Medal of Freedom", America's highest civilian honor.

So yeah, the thing you get when the President likes your music or something.

Obama was clearly just celebrating the glorious free market by rewarding one of, if not THE, most successful businesswoman of all time.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Regalingualius posted:

Didn't they end up reversing their decision, though? :smith:

I think you are thinking of Cracker Barrel. I believe they said they were going to pull Duck Dynasty merchandise, and then came out later to say they were reversing because of customer complaints.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

duffmensch posted:

The average temperature in Phoenix in August is roughly 105 (40.5) and it's usually much, much hotter on the pavement or just walking in the sun here. gently caress anyone who says that you need to wear pants or a full suit in that kind of weather.

Derail: It actually can be advisable to wear a breathable pant (like one designed for hiking) because they can provide better sun protection for your legs (most hiking pants have built in UV protection).

Non derail: I suspected the state of the union might generate some facebook posts so here you are:

quote:

Of course, you know he was telling lies:

quote:

Seven Big Lies Obama Told In His State Of The Union Speech

1) Income inequality is the worst it’s ever been!

Obama sayeth, “[T]oday, after four years of economic growth, corporate profits and stock prices have rarely been higher, and those at the top have never done better. But average wages have barely budged. Inequality has deepened. Upward mobility has stalled. The cold, hard fact is that even in the midst of recovery, too many Americans are working more than ever just to get by; let alone to get ahead.”

2) Raising minimum wage will help families

Obama sayeth, “[We] have a bill to fix that by lifting the minimum wage to $10.10… This will help families. It will give businesses customers with more money to spend… So join the rest of the country. Say yes. Give America a raise.”

3) His minimum wage hike for federal workers brings immediate relief

Obama sayeth, “In the coming weeks, I will issue an executive order requiring federal contractors to pay their federally funded employees a fair wage of at least $10.10 an hour, because if you cook our troops’ meals or wash their dishes, you shouldn’t have to live in poverty.”

4) How many Americans have gained insurance under Obamacare?

Obama sayeth, “More than 9 million Americans have signed up for private health insurance or Medicaid coverage.”

5) Obama will cut red tape that’s holding up construction jobs!

Obama sayeth, “we’ll need Congress to protect more than 3 million jobs by finishing transportation and waterways bills this summer. But I will act on my own to slash bureaucracy and streamline the permitting process for key projects, so we can get more construction workers on the job as fast as possible.”

6) Your medicare premium went up? You’re making that up!

Obama sayeth, “because of this (health care) law, no American can ever again be dropped or denied coverage for a preexisting condition like asthma, back pain or cancer… And we did all this while adding years to Medicare’s finances, keeping Medicare premiums flat, and lowering prescription costs for millions of seniors.”

7. Obama’s created 8 million new jobs in the last four years
This figure leaves out a lot of lost jobs early in Obama’s presidency and glosses over that this recovery has been the weakest since World War II.
(I spared you the ramblings after each lie. But had to keep the words of our lord and savior Obamchrist.)

Maybe you were paying attention though, you might have noticed he didn't lie seven times, he lied NINE times:

quote:

1. Obama claims that “corporate profits and stock prices have rarely been higher, and those at the top have never done better. But… [u]pward mobility has stalled.” This has been refuted most recently by Harvard Economics Professor Raj Chetty who recently released a paper showing that upward mobility in America hasn’t changed since the 1970’s. This means that in the past 40+ years the chances of moving out of poverty in America have remained unchanged.

2. The President continued beating his ‘war on women’ drum last night, using his often cited statistic about women making only $.77 for every dollar a man makes in America. The problem is this statistic is completely bogus.

3. While the President made a big show out of the minimum wage he failed to tell the American people that the minimum wage actually only affects less than 1% of the work force.

4. Obama claimed “more than 9 million Americans have signed up” for coverage under ObamaCare during his speech last night, a number that has been widely challenged in the aftermath of the speech. Observers have pointed out that almost 5 million Americans have lost coverage because of the mandates in ObamaCare.

5. President Obama claimed to have added 8 million jobs to the U.S. economy last night to loud applause.

6. While Obama took credit for the rising domestic energy production he is lying by omission when he fails to tell the American people this energy boom has occurred in spite of his policies, not because of them. Much of the increase in domestic energy production has happened on private land, and despite the growing number of regulations that the Obama administration has heaped on the industry.

7. The Affordable Care Act, ObamaCare to most, is on its face a lie.

8. While carbon emissions are not at the top of ForAmerica’s policy priorities, holding President Obama accountable for his claims is what we are all about. Last night, the President claimed the U.S. “reduced our total carbon pollution more than any other nation on Earth.” The facts show many nations reduced their emissions by a greater percentage than the U.S. has in recent years.

9. On Iran, President Obama told the American people a flat out lie last night. The President said that Iran is now eliminating its stockpile of highly enriched uranium. While evidence exists that the Iranians, under the recent international agreement, have begun oxidizing their highly enriched uranium, a process that makes the uranium unusable. Obama failed to say this process is completely reversible, and thus, Iran has not eliminated their stockpiles at all.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
I'm going to one-up the Groundhog Day stuff with SUPER BOWL STUFF:

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Breadallelogram posted:

"No wage workers"? I thought he was talking about robots or something, but I guess he wants to revive slavery.

He's clearly talking about automated replacements. He's just calling them no wage to make his comparison clear. Of course, automated isnt no wage either, because you have to perform maintenance.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

myron cope posted:

Is this image supposed to be pro-atheist (look how ridiculous these 7 states are!) or anti-atheist (we should all have laws like these 7 brave states!) :confused:

I assumed it was pro-atheism.... until you said something.

Maybe it's a Rorschach test image like that one Chuck Asay comic:

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

rkajdi posted:

stdh.txt

EDIT: Seriously, no google hits on the headline and no details in the report means this is definitely a fake.

I don't think they were trying to pass it off as a real story. I think it's just another of the 'stupid liberals believe things beyond personal control effect our lives.'

Remember, a depressing number of people believe this is completely true:

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
Common Core is teaching our young children that white people wouldn't vote for the one and true god Obama:

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/04/08/common-core-lesson-teaches-that-america-is-a-racist-nation/

quote:

This shouldn’t come as a great surprise since one can’t disagree with the policies or actions of Barack Obama without being labeled as a racist or bigot. But, this indoctrination of our youth should have Americans everywhere worried.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
Thank God the U.S. can get the Daily Mail online, how else would we know that Hillary eats babies or something:

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

quote:

Herman Cain

I, Herman Cain, support a 100% estate tax. We must all earn our way.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
ugh.

My uncle just shared this on facebook:

which is a blatant photoshop of this original:

Edit: BONUS picture!

Capt. Sticl fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 6, 2014

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

The person who wrote this sign grew up in a perennially underfunded school system, but wants to pay for his/her children's school supplies so they have a brighter future.

The person who wrote this sign fell on hard times during the recent depression, but wants to be able to afford a roof over his/her family's head.

The person who wrote this sign works 40+ hours a week, but can barely stay above water.

The person who wrote this sign... is a PERSON.

Maybe it's time to stop thinking in terms of $/hr and start believing a full time job should be able to provide the necessities of life.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

I am not a book posted:

This thread is worse than that conversation. Post some loving email forwards you jackasses.

Ask and Ye Shall Receive:

Facebook:

[ GIANT RED TEXT]
Cheerleaders Defy School Ban on Prayer During ACLU-Enforced ‘Moment of Silence’
[/GIANT RED TEXT]

quote:

When a Tennessee school district decided to ban prayer, cheerleaders at the school defied that decision. Now many Americans are thrilled by how they – and the crowd at the game, responded.

The prayer ban was enforced after the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) — which have never objected to ANY Muslim public prayers in their combined histories — wrote the Oneida Special School District a threatening letter complaining about school-sanctioned prayers over the loud-speaker at football games.

E-mail 1

quote:

The Hug of the Century
PUBLISHED: JULY 14, 2014
A woman found a badly injured lion in the forest. She took it with her and nursed it back to health. When it was better, she made arrangements with a zoo to take the lion and give it a new and happy home. This video was taken when she returned to the zoo some time later to see how her lion was doing. Watch the lion's amazing reaction when he sees her!

http://www.vitality101.com/Fun/lion-kisses-rescuer

For some reason that was accompanied by this:

E-mail 2: Old one I have seen in here before I think, but nevertheless:

quote:

NOW SHE IS A TEACHER!!!

In September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a History teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock , did something not to be forgotten.
On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks in her classroom. When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks.
'Ms. Cothren, where are our desks?'

She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn the right to sit at a desk.'
They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.' 'No,' she said.
'Maybe it's our behavior.' She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior.'

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom. Kids called their parents to tell them what was happening and by early afternoon television news crews had started gathering at the school to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the desk-less classroom. Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he or she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it. Twenty-seven (27) U.S. Veterans, all in uniform, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall. By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. They went halfway around the world, giving up their education and interrupting their careers and families so you could have the freedom you have. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

By the way, this is a true story. And this teacher was awarded the Veterans of Foreign Wars Teacher of the Year for the State of Arkansas in 2006. She is the daughter of a WWII POW.

Do you think this email is worth passing along so others won't forget either, that the freedoms we have in this great country were earned by our U.S. Veterans? ................... I did.

Let us always remember the men and women of our military and the rights they have won for us.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Googling the headline brought up a Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/taxdelay.asp

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Millions opressed because of Obama's invention racism.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
Not even going to attempt to copy the crazy formatting:

purestrain crazy posted:

DID YOU KNOW
THESE FACTS?

I SURE DIDNT TILL NOW

Death
is certain but the Bible speaks about untimely death!

Make a
personal reflection about this.......

Very
interesting, read until the end......

It is
written in the Bible (Galatians 6:7):

'Be not deceived; God is not mocked:

for whatsoever a man sow,

that shall he also reap...

Here are some men and women

who mocked God :

John Lennon
(Singer):

Some years before, during his interview with
an American Magazine, he said:

'Christianity will end, it will disappear.
I do not have to argue about that...
I am certain.
Jesus was ok, but his subjects were too simple,
today we are more famous than Him' (1966).

Lennon, after
saying that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ,
was shot six times.

Tancredo Neves
(President of Brazil ):

During
the Presidential campaign, he said if he got 500,000 votes
from his party, not even God would remove him from
Presidency.

Sure he got the votes,
but he got sick a day before being made President,
then he died.

Cazuza
(Bi-sexual Brazilian
composer, singer and poet):

During a show in Canecio ( Rio de Janeiro ),
while smoking his cigarette,
he puffed out some smoke into the air
and said: 'God, that's for you.'

He died at
the age of 32 of LUNG CANCER in a horrible manner.

The man who built the Titanic

After the construction of Titanic,
a reporter asked him how safe the
Titanic would be.

With an ironic tone he said:
'Not even God can sink it'

The result:
I think you all know what happened to the Titanic

Marilyn Monroe
(Actress)

She was visited by Billy Graham
during a presentation of a show.

He said the Spirit of God had sent him to preach to her.

After hearing what the Preacher had to say,
she said:
'I don't need your Jesus'.

A week later,
she was found dead in her apartment

Bon Scott
(Singer)

The ex-vocalist of the AC/DC.
On one of his 1979 songs he sang:

'Don't stop me;
I'm going down all the way,
down the highway to hell'.

On the 19th of February 1980,
Bon Scott was found dead,
he had been choked by his own vomit.

Campinas (IN 2005)

In Campinas , Brazil , a group of friends, drunk,
went to pick up a friend......

The mother accompanied her to the car
and was so worried about the drunkenness of her friends
and she said to the daughter holding her hand,
who was already seated in the car:

'My Daughter, Go With God And May He Protect You.'

She responded:
'Only If He (God) travels In the trunk,
cause inside here.....
It's already full.'

Hours later,
news came by that they had been involved in a fatal accident,
everyone had died,

the car could
not be recognized what type of car it had been,
but surprisingly, the trunk was intact.

The police
said there was no way the trunk could have remained intact.
To their surprise, inside the trunk was a crate of eggs,
none was broken

Christine Hewitt
(Jamaican Journalist and entertainer)
said the Bible (Word of God) was the worst book
ever written.

In June 2006
she was found burnt beyond recognition in her motor vehicle.

Many more
important people have forgotten that there is no other name
that was given so much authority as the name of Jesus.

Many have died,
but only Jesus died and rose again,
and he is still alive.

'Jesus'

PS:
If it was a
joke, you would have sent it to everyone.
So are you going to have courage to send this?.

I have done my part, Jesus said

'If you are embarrassed about me,

I will also be embarrassed
about you before my father.'

You
are my 8 in 8 seconds.
I am not breaking this.
No way!

I'M TOLD THIS WORKS!!!!!
Bishop T.D. Jakes '8 Second Prayer.'
Just repeat this prayer and see how God moves!!

'Lord,
I love you and I need you,
come into my heart, and bless me,
my family, my home, and my friends,
in Jesus' name.
Amen.'

Pass this message to 8 people
{EXCEPT YOU AND ME}....
You will receive a miracle tomorrow.
I Hope that you don't ignore and
let God bless you.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
Courtesy of my Uncle's facebook. Generally a nice guy and my favorite Uncle as a kid, but...

Links to this story: Woman killed in the UAE
Posted with this note:

quote:

F@ck PC. All you ladies be very carefull around these crazy people. If they are hiding behind viels and towels watch them even closer.. 2nd ammendment may have saved her if she was in the USA...
STAY SAFE MY LADIES..

Or how about this story:
About New EPA regulations
Shared with the note:

quote:

We the people need to shut this scam down

or this one just commented "TRUTH"

or this one submitted without comment:

or my "favorite":

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
I'm sure by now most of you seen the nice little anti-racism video with the passengers on the plane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWGYTIds29I

My cousin shared the video with the following comment:

quote:

I would like to see something showing the racism against white people. I have been treated the same way.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

OwlFancier posted:

it's going to help sweep those warcrimes under the rug rather nicely.

That was going to happen regardless of what the next news cycle included.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

OwlFancier posted:

Don't you guys contract out to those via USPS?

Over hear Royal Mail subcontracts anything more complicated than a letter down the road.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure it's the other way 'round here. That is, the private companies hand off packages to the U.S. postal service when the areas are too remote to turn a profit on delivery.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Soonmot posted:

I'd like to see this updated with how many days after the incident Obama spoke about it.

I had the same thought when it was posted to my Facebook feed by relatives. Here's what I found from some cursory google use:

Eric Garner:
Killed July 19
Grand Jury announcement: December 3
Obama Speech: December 3

Michael Brown:
Killed August 9
Grand Jury announcement: November 24
Obama Speech: November 24

Trayvon Martin: (much more complicated timetable because of the lack of initial investigation)
Killed: Feb. 26, 2012
Obama: Responded to a question in a press conference Mar 21 ("If I had a son...")
Charges filed: April 11
Trial Begins: June 24
Not Guilty Verdict: July 13
Obama Speech: July 19

In general, the pattern appears to be that Obama waits to give a speech until a significant legal announcement. Alternative explanation, he waits until each of the cases is completely concluded. Estimating when he might give a speech regarding the NYPD shooting is a little difficult since the shooter committed suicide and there won't be a legal investigation.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
HAPPY NEW YEAR THREAD! - My Racist Uncle

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
Perhaps I should bring a little levity to the thread. Enjoy a screed on "evolution" sort of:

quote:

Do you think that beached whales (and other sea life) are their nature to evolve, and we are preventing it when we try to help them back into the ocean. When you look at life on earth through an evolution standpoint you have to imagine that even humans have to evolved from life from the ocean where the breeding ground is perfect do to elements that caused the life on earth to be possible. And after a long time of this process what did grow lungs and learn to walk and this added with the bacteria and any parasites or elements that were in the water that have not yet been introduced to the surface before and this causes other evolution of other species.
So if that's taken into consideration then we have the instinct to prevent any other species to evolve so we stay on top as the dominant species of a planet that only has the name earth because we decided by ourselves to call it that. For some reason we do this even when thinking we are helping when we are really preventing them from becoming a superior species by not allowing many to die so that as an effort as a whole they are going to be better off.
Or maybe that is just way off?

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Literally posted with the line "To lighten the mood"

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wait a second...I thought ISIS was specifically, explicitly Islamic? "I'll quit deliberately believing false thing when you admit true thing is true!"

ISIS is Islamic in the way that Branch Davidians are Christian. And we could all say that if people viewed those statements as equivalent. The problem being everyone dismisses random fringe Christian groups, but takes random fringe Islamic groups as representative of the whole.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

The_Rob posted:

Wasn't the DC sniper like over a decade ago?

2002. The adult has already gone through appeals and been executed.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

The_Rob posted:

Not to mention wouldn't that be because of the beef price in America rising and not Minimum wage increasing?

Raising the minimum wage is SF alone caused beef prices to skyrocket across America. Imagine what raising the minimum wage nationwide would do!

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

1stGear posted:

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/07/21/sources-navy-officer-marine-shot-chattanooga-gunman/30426817/

That's the only legit source I can find that mentions this guy. There's also no mention of charges against him in the Navy Times article. The only places that do mention charges are crazy right-wing news sites.

Yea, I couldn't find anything other than like rightwingnews, infowars, etc. I just assumed it was blatantly made up, and lo' and behold it's completely made up.