Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radd McCool posted:

Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhhhh!

AHHHHHHHHH

This e-mail is horrible, but this excerpt I know off hand is both wrong and popular. The closest it comes to being correct is that SS money is used to buy bonds, the proceeds from which go into general spending.

Someone should warn the Chinese that all that money they're investing in the US economy is just being spent by congress. I'll get a Republican, hang on China!

That SS money is going to buy bonds is a correct knock on the idea that there's a trust fund, and focusing on that obscures the things that are actually wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

My husband's aunt said this almost word for word. She is thankful that her company fires the old and sick because it keeps her health insurance down and she doesn't want to pay for other people's healthcare. I tried to think of ways to address that mindframe, but I came up with nothing. Any ideas?

"what happens when you are old and sick"

"what you do to the least of my brothers you do to me"

"gently caress you"

any work

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vilerat posted:

Pretty good deal, I think we should take it.

they're trying to take part of manhattan they can get right back the gently caress into their hovel in alabama

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

guess what quote lincon didn't actually ever say (in fact, wasn't even said before his death: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._H._Boetcker)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quazi posted:

Just got this from my dad, who seems to be similar to nearly everyone else's dad:

Send him this: http://www.factcheck.org/2009/01/unreported-stats/

Long story short: the guy didn't write it, and every single number is wrong

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

davidb posted:

does police coercion count as torture? I know that people confess to stuff they didnt do. I just cant understand why they do it when simply stressed by confrontational cops. Im not confessing to anything unless your doing serious stuff like cutting off my fingers, ripping out nails, burning crap

You're wrong, and beliefs like this are one of the reasons false confessions are so difficult to deal with: despite mountains of evidence people insist on ignoring it and believing it can't happen.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

davidb posted:

I said that I know false confessions happen. I just cant believe people are that weak and stupid.

It's not about being weak or stupid. You'd have a good chance of cracking too.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

davidb posted:

please don't post in this thread anymore thanks

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

To be fair though, wage slavery is a horrible thing.

There's a time and a place for making that argument and it's not right after "chattel slavery isn't that bad"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

loving with congressional and presidential salaries is meaningless: the sole purpose is to make yourself feel better and it has absolutely no impact on the budget in any real sense.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Habibi posted:

How about we make their salaries commensurate with the state of the economy?

Pointless. They are all completely aware that the economy is the most significant factor in them keeping their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

How? I've tried on a couple occasions to look for a comprehensive, unbiased look at the extent of welfare fraud, but never came up with much.

Simply assume literally every dollar of welfare is fraud, then look at how it compares to the bottom line.