Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Ah, yes.

My normally perfectly sensible father, who knows and shares my thoughts on e-mail forwards, slipped one day and bounced me this.

quote:

I normally do not forward these things but this if this is true, WHY!!
-Bob
----- Original Message -----
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:16 PM
Subject: OIL (not a joke)

Subj: OIL (not a joke)

THIS is why a lot of us just don't have any trust or confidence in our government!!!

OIL (not a joke)

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April ('08) that only scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a revised report ( hadn't been updated since '95) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota ; western South Dakota ; and extreme eastern Montana ..... check THIS out:

The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska 's Prudhoe Bay , and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion barrels.. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5.3 trillion.

'When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.' says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyst.

'This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years.' reports, The Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's a formation known as the Williston Basin , but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.' And it stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and into Canada . For years, U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's massive reserves.... and we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!

That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for2041 years straight.

2. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - because it's from TWO YEARS AGO!

U. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World!
Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?

They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on earth. Here are the official estimates:

- 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia
- 18-times as much oil as Iraq
- 21-times as much oil as Kuwait
- 22-times as much oil as Iran
- 500-times as much oil as Yemen
- and it's all right here in the Western United States .

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of people dictate our lives and our economy.....WHY?

James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entir e Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION barrels untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the world today, reports The Denver Post.

Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think again! It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just might be funding the environmentalists?
Got your attention/ire up yet? Hope so! Now, while you're thinking about it .... and hopefully P.O'd, do this:

3. Pass this along. If you don't take a little time to do this, then you should stifle yourself the next time you want to complain about gas prices .. because by doing NOTHING, you've forfeited your right to complain.
--------
Now I just wonder what would happen in this country if every one of you sent this to every one in your address book.
By the way...this is all true. Check it out at the link below!!!
GOOGLE it or follow this link. It will blow your mind.
http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911 <http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911>

My response (cc'd to my whole family):

quote:

Before you feel like sending something to me on whatever unbelievable thing just landed in your inbox, do two things.

1. Think- is this probably bullshit? If yes, delete it. If no-
2. Does it say FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD: at the beginning? If yes, delete it. If no-
3. go to http://www.snopes.com search for a few details

Doing this, I found this page:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/bakken.asp

Where I find that yes, it is actually bullshit.

Do me a favor and leave dumb poo poo like this out of my inbox. If I want my mind blown I'll go back to doing drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Obama plans to tax the death benefit given to war widows from their husbands' life insurance (SGLI).

(the beauty of it is it's taxable income like it always, always, always has been)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Obama plans to tax the free tuition given to active-duty soldiers as an income benefit in order to pay for Obamacare

just find some passage in one of the House bills that mentions veterans in an offhand way and cite it as SEE SEE RIGHT HERE RIGHT HERE

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It just needs some strain of absurdity involved, otherwise it's just another piece of crap floating around the Internet

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Just found out about Media Matters new sub-site:

http://mediamattersaction.org/emailchecker/

Apparently they're trying to maintain a mini-Snopes on right-wing emails, complete with reply templates.

Nice.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

stimpy posted:

At what point do I just write this off as arguing with the mental equivalent of a box of poo poo?

When the goalposts keep changing.

I gave up arguing with my co-worker because he told me Rupert Murdoch was a liberal. At that point I told him it wasn't worth talking to him if he was just gonna make poo poo up like a five year old and walked away.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The guy does realize that most of that is dumb filler poo poo and not any kind of refutation or parody of the original post, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

wormil posted:

So my aunt's church invited an Iranian "girl", (maybe an exchange student, maybe a Mexican, I don't know) to visit their Sunday service and "expose" Obama and his secret plans with Russia to subvert democracy and turn America to communism. Also he apparently has secret plans with Iran to divide Israel into pieces and give each piece to a different Muslim nation. My aunt droned on for fifteen or twenty minutes warning of me various Obama-centric conspiracies that will bring doom and gloom upon freedom lovers. I was speechless, I really didn't know what to say. How can people be that stupid? Why would they believe this person would even be privy to secret plans? What does she have to gain by exposing these secret plans? Why does it not occur to them that she could have ulterior motives or that maybe she just likes to see how stupid and gullible some Americans can be?

As always, demand they show their work. (Ask for proof. Bonus fun- act like a truther and point out your conspiracies are just as grounded as theirs)