Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Yes.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
De Zomerfabriek by roland luijken, on Flickr

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ontent=business

RIP

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/noted-vancouver-photographer-fred-herzog-dies-at-age-88

Double RIP

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Museums are street right?

DSC_6882 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

And graveyards...

DSC_6765 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

And parades...

DSC_5711 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm not sure I know what I'm doing, but I'm giving the whole street photography thing a go with my XF10.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm not sure I know what I'm doing, but I'm giving the whole street photography thing a go with my XF10.

Not to toot my own horn but you might be interested in my effortpost on the last page which might help you think about street photography and what you want to do with it and who might inspire you.

Regarding your two images, I want to talk mostly about the first one because I think it contains a lesson that I myself had to learn.

I might be wrong of course but I feel like you shared this photo because it was difficult for you to take and therefore feels valuable. You took a candid photo in a place where society says you shouldn’t be just snapping away taking photos of strangers. Conquering your fear of taking photos in public is important. It will be extremely difficult to take good street photos if you aren’t totally confident with taking a photo whenever and wherever you need to.

So keep practicing because feeling comfortable with taking photos in public is a key part of taking a good street photo. Once you have that down, you can start to look for good scenes to photograph with the confidence that you’ll be able to capture them. The photographer’s confidence and competence, good light, composition and an interesting subject all need to come together to make a good photo. It ain’t easy but it certainly gets easier with practice.

On the subject of practice, this video of veteran street photographer John Free discussing the topic was particularly inspiring for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ej4Le3lo9Y

Standard CYA: I don’t think I’ve ever taken a great street photo so YMMV!

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 19, 2020

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I tried street photography for the first time a couple weeks ago and had a lot of fun. I did not get any shots that I thought were great, but here are a couple that I thought were ok. I need to work composition, mostly I do landscape stuff so I have all day to figure it out, so this was challenging.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
What was your criteria for deciding that these were ok?
I'm not trying to throw shade, I'm just trying to understand why these particular images made the cut and what you were expecting from a street photo.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Helen Highwater posted:

What was your criteria for deciding that these were ok?
I'm not trying to throw shade, I'm just trying to understand why these particular images made the cut and what you were expecting from a street photo.

Well, I liked that the woman was so into posing with a giant boot, also the giant boot is a bit absurd. I wish I hadn't cut off the bottom of her feet though

In the Elvis one I found it funny that neither one seem to be enjoying themselves while taking a selfie with Elivs. I hate that the left side of the frame is nothing.

I think the last one is the weakest, but I like how the girl looks astonished by something and that there is a sense of motion in the photo.

Honestly I was just trying to find things that amused me and these showed what amused me the best of the shots I took that day.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Heck.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
IMG-20200222-WA0003 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I guess this can go here, Vanity Fair do a trip to a Trump rally, and they brought Bruce Gilden along to take the photos.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I thought Gilden was dead.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh yes.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Amazing.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Photo of somebody's back.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Unfortunate about the background ad (it makes her look like a unicorn) but the ad would not loving get a nice white background I wanted and it had all this clutter. Taken on cellphone.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 2, 2020

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Not really street but I have a bunch of old graffiti / murals I was looking back through the other day. It feels weird posting because most of what I have is just documentary and not really adding anything to the scene.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

:pervert:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

this photo is perfect in every way

spooky ghost
Feb 11, 2020

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, New Orleans...

And here's Asheville, NC:

spooky ghost fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 13, 2021

spooky ghost
Feb 11, 2020

Lipstick Apathy
Last one, I swear.

Washington D.C., January 2017:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hey, street photography is about people, these last few belong in landscapes instead.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

spooky ghost posted:

Ah, New Orleans...

are you chillin on the cats meow balco

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

These last two are so good. Love the expressions through the van.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

This is nice.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Antwerpen by roland luijken, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!