Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DSC_8937 by DarSevn, on Flickr

An older picture, I wish the lady wasn't in the background though.

(didn't ask this girl to take a picture, she saw me about to take a picture while she was on the phone, looked up and smiled, so I snapped a picture of her instead.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002
I took these pictures around London in August last year with my Canon 20D with the 105mm, both later stolen during a break-in that fall. I know gently caress-all about photography so my replacement S95 is probably a more suitable tool anyway, but I kind of liked these.

Amazingly, I used the ol' patented technique of "take picture of friend, but zoom in on subject in background and crop it afterwards" but it came out well I think.

Brewdog
Sep 4, 2011

Hardly Working by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

J'adore by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

Untitled by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

I've been making more effort to get out on my lunch breaks and shooting some street.

Has anyone ever tried to find a no flash corner in their town/city? I read http://2point8.whileseated.org/2006/09/28/post-grant-no-flash-corner/ and wanted to try in Glasgow. We have some awesomely shiny buildings but Scotland in March isn't the sunniest and I want to be ready when the sun starts showing his face round here again.

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better
Here are a few pics that I took yesterday or the day before as I walked around Manhattan.

DSC_4951 by Guineapig Shoddy Pics, on Flickr

That one I saw out of the corner of my eye, held out the camera, and took while walking past without stopping. Unedited. Most of the rest are edited in some way.

DSC_4694 by Guineapig Shoddy Pics, on Flickr

DSC_4396 by Guineapig Shoddy Pics, on Flickr

DSC_4298 by Guineapig Shoddy Pics, on Flickr

Feel free to comment, and thanks for having this resource here. I've enjoyed lurking, and am glad I have something I feel is worth posting. There's another 50 or so at the Flickr link.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Glebe Markets by Josh Conliffe, on Flickr

Glebe by Josh Conliffe, on Flickr

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

I am pretty sure I used to live around the corner from where that guy on the couch is lying. Recognise the graffiti...

What was the Glebe Markets one shot with?

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
They're both from the 6*7, one on Portra 400 and one on Rollei Retro 400.

Yeah that's one of the lanes behind Glebe Point Rd.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few from my first two rolls of film (cross-posted from SAD):

imm011_13 by azathosk, on Flickr

Tigger by azathosk, on Flickr

Tøyen t-bane by azathosk, on Flickr

Trikken by azathosk, on Flickr

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better

azathosk posted:

A few from my first two rolls of film (cross-posted from SAD):

I like this one a lot; it could be used as an illustration for a story about a descent into hell.

Nice set from your first two rolls (ever)?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Guineapig posted:

I like this one a lot; it could be used as an illustration for a story about a descent into hell.

Nice set from your first two rolls (ever)?

Haha, it's almost hell. It's down to one of Oslo's subway stations. And thanks, yes, my first two rolls of film ever. :) Got them developed at my local photostore.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Not street because it was on a beach but shot the same

Puri Beach by damnlamb, on Flickr

Puri Beach by damnlamb, on Flickr

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

azathosk posted:

Haha, it's almost hell. It's down to one of Oslo's subway stations. And thanks, yes, my first two rolls of film ever. :) Got them developed at my local photostore.

Haha, since they did up Carl Berner's, Tøyen really is the shittest station. I need to take some shots of the rats eating bird food at Ensjø station though.

Cross post from sad.

Jumper thief by Smallcowisfaraway, on Flickr

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

A gentle breeze becomes 40mph gusts, torrents of water slam my side. I shelter the camera with my body and pulled up my hood. A girl struggles to right her now inside-out umbrella. She runs. I see the shot. Tearing off the hood, now plastered to my face by wind, I have one shot directly into the rain before the lens is coated in water. I take it. 30 seconds later, the rain ceases, the wind dies, and it's right back to the calm night.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I really like the fact that the rain is really present in the photo. This was last weekend in San Diego, yes? I recognize the bridge. I'll take the opportunity to post a photo I took last Saturday:

Directions by Jemuel Balangcod

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Mest0r posted:

I really like the fact that the rain is really present in the photo. This was last weekend in San Diego, yes? I recognize the bridge. I'll take the opportunity to post a photo I took last Saturday:

Directions by Jemuel Balangcod
Sunday actually, the rain really did last for 30 seconds. But yup, you got the bridge right.

As for your shot, Mardi Gras + rain in San Diego? Perfect for street photography. The people directing traffic, the free emergency-style ponchos, the woman without a rain coat, great shot where it feels like everyone is out of place in the weather.

s0meb0dy0 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 23, 2012

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

Cross - posting from SAD. I am happy to find this thread since I mostly shoot on the streets. Recently, I have been really rusty. But I made an effort in shooting from the hip today on the street.Well, it was more like shooting a bit above the hip since I am so short. :( I am happy with some of the images that I got. These photos were shot around the Upper West Side and Central Park South in Manhattan.

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-24 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-10 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr
Interesting pair.

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-8 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-2 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-1 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-20 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

If only she was more in the frame.

Sinaasappelsap fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 24, 2012

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
After grabbing a 50/1.8 on the weekend I stepped out of my comfort zone (landscapes) and did some street shooting. Interested in any C&C on these:

Introductions by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Boombox by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Success by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Ice Cream by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Portraits by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Glassmaker by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Ended up being quite an enjoyable day of shooting so I'd say street will be something I do a bit more of.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Have been following the advices in this thread regarding how to be discreet and shoot street stuff, I like the concept. It's a great challenge though.

Here I had to resort to B&W as the sunset colors weren't too flattering. Is it any good? I do like it, but I'm still trying to figure out the basics.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

maxmars posted:

Have been following the advices in this thread regarding how to be discreet and shoot street stuff, I like the concept. It's a great challenge though.

Here I had to resort to B&W as the sunset colors weren't too flattering. Is it any good? I do like it, but I'm still trying to figure out the basics.

I quite like it, but I'd Photoshop out the branch on the top left corner of the image personally.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Kujaroth posted:

After grabbing a 50/1.8 on the weekend I stepped out of my comfort zone (landscapes) and did some street shooting. Interested in any C&C on these:

Success by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Ended up being quite an enjoyable day of shooting so I'd say street will be something I do a bit more of.

Dude most are pretty good but don't shoot street performers. Boring as.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Kujaroth posted:

I quite like it, but I'd Photoshop out the branch on the top left corner of the image personally.

Makes sense.. Thanks. I noticed it but I'm not very keen on physical editing. Will have to learn to do it effectively.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Schofferhofer posted:

Dude most are pretty good but don't shoot street performers. Boring as.

I've heard that before, about street performers. Half the reason I spent so long shooting that guy was testing out the 50/1.8 - AF speed/accuracy mostly. Point taken though, thanks :)

maxmars posted:

Makes sense.. Thanks. I noticed it but I'm not very keen on physical editing. Will have to learn to do it effectively.

For that particular image, the clone stamp tool should make quick work of the branch. There may be a better way though, I don't tend to do much PS work either - 99% of my PP is done in Lightroom.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I wouldn't edit out the branches. They add to the spontaneity of the shot and make it feel more like you are intruding on a private moment.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Laser Cow posted:

Haha, since they did up Carl Berner's, Tøyen really is the shittest station. I need to take some shots of the rats eating bird food at Ensjø station though.

In tough competition with the probably scariest station in Oslo: Ellingsrud.

Ellingsrud by azathosk, on Flickr

Ellingsrud by azathosk, on Flickr

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Those stations look immaculate compared to anything I've ever seen in American subway stations. Makes me want to visit Oslo, my great grandparents emigrated from Norway to the United States way back when. Still have some relatives in the vicinity of Oslo.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 27, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Kujaroth posted:

I've heard that before, about street performers. Half the reason I spent so long shooting that guy was testing out the 50/1.8 - AF speed/accuracy mostly. Point taken though, thanks :)

For that particular image, the clone stamp tool should make quick work of the branch. There may be a better way though, I don't tend to do much PS work either - 99% of my PP is done in Lightroom.
I know shooting street musicians and street performers is looked down upon here, but I think it's more important to shoot what you find interesting. When you start restricting yourself because you're worried about cliches or critics, you're doing more harm than good. I think it's an interesting image. Are you shooting on a crop body?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting from SAD, these 2 old men are karang guni men, who buy stuff for recycling like newspapers.

Karang Guni Men by alkanphel, on Flickr

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
The road into my home town

Welcome to Barrow by HezzyUK, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I know shooting street musicians and street performers is looked down upon here, but I think it's more important to shoot what you find interesting. When you start restricting yourself because you're worried about cliches or critics, you're doing more harm than good. I think it's an interesting image. Are you shooting on a crop body?

Definitely a good point. I didn't mind spending some time shooting that performer, but in general I do find it less 'satisfying' because he is putting on a show - whereas shooting 'normal' street life can capture the spontaneity of it all. With that said, if I ever saw an interesting street act, I'd stop and take some shots for the hell of it. Thanks for the feedback :)

And yes, crop body. Canon 60D. I've got the upgrade itch though so it may turn into a 5DII or III later in the year when it's bonus time at work :P Most of what I shoot is landscapes so I'd love to get a FF, weather sealed/resistant body regardless.

Brewdog
Sep 4, 2011

Love conquers rubbish by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

Strut by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

I'm On a Boat by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

I've had a productive week or so.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I like your format, Brewdog, think I'll steal it. :)

Crossing, by Maxmars on flickr

Good morning madam, by Maxmars on flickr

To infinity and beyond, by Maxmars on flickr

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Untitled by dtloken, on Flickr

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Missed the focus on this one a bit :( Though you can't really notice unless viewing large.

Transactions by Aztatlan, on Flickr

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
I'm quite keen on the hip-shot NYC photos above. They are very evocative of what I imagine New York City living to be like.

I'm putting a series of street portraits together that I feel sum up a cross-section of Hong Kong life.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/sets/72157629284710532/

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Take a guess, who made who angry?

DSC_7063 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

maxmars posted:

I like your format, Brewdog, think I'll steal it. :)

Good morning madam, by Maxmars on flickr

Haha! Is she looking back at you? I like when that happens.

Last week, I stood on a corner on Times Square and just shot people. It was funny to see how barely anyone noticed what I was doing. I stood there for almost a half an hour.

March2012bw_031 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

March2012bw_028 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

I don't know what is going on with his face. I need to rescan. :(

March2012bw_024 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

March2012bw_026 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Sinaasappelsap posted:

Last week, I stood on a corner on Times Square and just shot people. It was funny to see how barely anyone noticed what I was doing. I stood there for almost a half an hour.

The standing on the corner, or sticking in one area thing works really well for me also. Seems that in NYC everyone is in such a rush to get somewhere they don't notice you or are too busy to care.

Or they are this guy

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

mysticp posted:

The standing on the corner, or sticking in one area thing works really well for me also. Seems that in NYC everyone is in such a rush to get somewhere they don't notice you or are too busy to care.

Or they are this guy

This is great on so many levels. Ahh.
I don't have much else to contribute so I'll be back when I've done some actual street shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

mysticp posted:

Or they are this guy

Highline? I am so used to the first section that I forget.

Yep. Though, I noticed that in certain parts of my neighborhood (Castle Hill/Parkchester, The Bronx), people are very aware when a photographer is around. Today, I was shooting a storefront and these folks around me paused and were very curious to know what I was doing.