Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Sinaasappelsap posted:

Highline? I am so used to the first section that I forget.

Yep. Though, I noticed that in certain parts of my neighborhood (Castle Hill/Parkchester, The Bronx), people are very aware when a photographer is around. Today, I was shooting a storefront and these folks around me paused and were very curious to know what I was doing.

Yeah Highline. Was the only good shot today as it was soooo sunny.

I find out in the Boroughs it's a lot harder to stand and shoot, apart from places like Dumbo and in Williamsburg on Bedford. Manhattan is where it works best. Though finding a zone of a few blocks and moving around it for me is when I get all my best stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Some more of my 'Faces of Hong Kong' series...

Faces of HK: The Optimist by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

Faces of HK: The Shopaholic by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

Faces of HK: The Worrier by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

Faces of HK: The Rebel by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

Faces of HK: The Drifter by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

More...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I like what you are doing with this, and I have thought a lot about doing something similar with Taiwan. It makes an interesting series, but it looks to me like you are cranking up the saturation a little. Am I wrong about that?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Taking advantage of the completely amazing spring weather NYC is having this year

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Took this at the Louvre the other day:

People looking at Venus de Milo by hookshot88, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I got started on my "Faces of Taiwan" copy today. This is the "Multitasker". I waited for as long as I could, but she never looked up :(

DSC_7092 by DarSevn, on Flickr

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Probably added a little too much grain and noise. Wanted to make this very contrasty though.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

Sevn posted:

I like what you are doing with this, and I have thought a lot about doing something similar with Taiwan. It makes an interesting series, but it looks to me like you are cranking up the saturation a little. Am I wrong about that?

Yes, on a number of the pictures I have cranked up the vibrance quite a lot. The reason for doing so is that when I reflect on how the atmosphere was at the time I always think of the street and everyone in it being bathed in a strong multi-coloured neon glow. With this in mind I want to make the photos more evocative of how I remember rather than being completely faithful to the original photo. Also, after two months of living under the grey blanket that has been the Hong Kong sky, I'm keen to inject some vibrancy into my pictures! Looking forward to more of your TW pictures.

I'm very fond of this one. I love the way the texture in her top has come out...

hkfaces_23 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Election Night by dtloken, on Flickr

Going through old pictures: Not a great photo but the event was cool. The title kind of gives it away but I'll still let you guys guess when/where it was.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Election Night by dtloken, on Flickr

Going through old pictures: Not a great photo but the event was cool. The title kind of gives it away but I'll still let you guys guess when/where it was.

That's a nice triangle from the phone, big screens, and the tunnel. I enjoy stuff like that.

I was digging through some archives and found this series. Funny story about it all. New job, new city, and I had a chance to catch a ride (flight) part way home instead of a long bus ride.

As we flew over I was like, "oh, I bet I can see my house from here! :downs:" and then I noticed a huge thick cloud rising from my neighbourhood...

By the time I got back I realized that it wasn't my apartment building but a local pub busily burning down. Rushing home and grabbing my new (to me) 10D I set off to shoot some pictures of the event.

Totally forgetting that I had set the thing to ISO 1600 or something ridiculous the night before.

up fourth by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

firemen by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

^ this poor guy in the middle was exhausted. I don't think wrangling those hoses under pressure is an easy job. At this point he just switched places with the guy who's aiming the hose.

cardboard and kegs by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Had an interesting exchange with the police, too, where the guy took one look at my gripped 10D and practically threw me into the roped off area where the press was.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Schokolade by Stuart M. Baker, on Flickr

Southwark by Stuart M. Baker, on Flickr

Boris Bike by Stuart M. Baker, on Flickr

Anmitzcuaca fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 12, 2012

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Southwark by Stuart M. Baker, on Flickr

I know that this thread is for street photo. But I would love to see you go and reshoot this space in a similar manner and then use multiple shots / long exposure to remove the people from the shot. I think it would be more powerful.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I found a very striking, engaging man on the street and decided to document his human condition.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Reichstag posted:

I found a very striking, engaging man on the street and decided to document his human condition.

Great capture. Glad you were able to get the front side of him, shots from the rear often feel voyeuristic.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Goggles and beach balls by Cacator, on Flickr

Wes Mantooth
Dec 23, 2005

The reclusive dictator of the "Hermit Kingdom"
Late night in the entertainment district of Toronto:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcronin/6846970578/in/photostream/

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST
I started a tumblr for photos I've taken, to sort of help myself keep up with it and try to improve. It's largely street so it might be of interest to some people that follow this thread. I'm extremely open to comments/criticism as well. And maybe I should post in this thread too more often?

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

tween_spirit posted:

I started a tumblr for photos I've taken, to sort of help myself keep up with it and try to improve. It's largely street so it might be of interest to some people that follow this thread. I'm extremely open to comments/criticism as well. And maybe I should post in this thread too more often?

Followed! Thanks for posting. I occasionally post on my blog too. Posting here would be great too. It's nice to see how folks on SA go about street photography.

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST

Sinaasappelsap posted:

Followed! Thanks for posting. I occasionally post on my blog too. Posting here would be great too. It's nice to see how folks on SA go about street photography.

Thanks, I think I see who you are and it looks like you're in New York too, despite your dutch juice name

You mention how other people might go about street, so I might as well give some context. I mostly shoot older people that are alone; I rarely shoot groups. I like to keep things color and my main camera is fixed-lens / non-zoom so I kind of try and really get up there. I also avoid any post-processing as often as I can.

I feel my work kind of suffers for this but I want to just keep up with it all and take mental notes for improving over time.

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

tween_spirit posted:

Thanks, I think I see who you are and it looks like you're in New York too, despite your dutch juice name

You mention how other people might go about street, so I might as well give some context. I mostly shoot older people that are alone; I rarely shoot groups. I like to keep things color and my main camera is fixed-lens / non-zoom so I kind of try and really get up there. I also avoid any post-processing as often as I can.

I feel my work kind of suffers for this but I want to just keep up with it all and take mental notes for improving over time.

Yep, I hail from the Bronx and I like orange juice.

I try to stick to black and white or shoot in areas where I can isolate my subjects. I have a hard time getting exactly what I want in color but I push myself from time to time. Old people are cool to photograph, I like to focus on their facial expressions. But I mostly focus on shadows, backlit figures, great clothing silhouettes of people and moments where you can almost feel what's going on.

I do not think avoiding post-processing can hurt a persons work -for me, it helps me really take my time in understanding my cameras. Plus, I am really lazy with editing unless it's for a shoot or I am scanning film.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
I find myself just chasing the setting sun around the city. And then get dinner while the light sucks, then pull out the flash for late night face blasting.

Stupid sun only being awesome for an hour and a half.

Raleigh Fayetteville street by SirWyeth, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

tween_spirit posted:

I thought I read some stuff about tumblr's ToS and photography and them gaining rights on your photos or something and it was all really bad. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about or I am I confused?

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

I know that is the case with Facebook. My trick is to not upload my photos on Tumblr. I just embed and link from Flickr or on my web server..

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Wyeth posted:

I find myself just chasing the setting sun around the city. And then get dinner while the light sucks, then pull out the flash for late night face blasting.

This is fantastic. Love the guy on the right.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

negativeneil posted:

This is fantastic. Love the guy on the right.

Thanks, that goober is a point of contention, some people think he makes the shot (like me), some seem to hate that he is there :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Wyeth posted:

Raleigh Fayetteville street by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Oh cool, I recognize that street! I'm right down the highway in Greensboro.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Wyeth posted:

Thanks, that goober is a point of contention, some people think he makes the shot (like me), some seem to hate that he is there :)

i think he makes the shot, but i would rather he be looking forward and not at the camera. it's an awesome shot regardless :)

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
Getting street

IMG_2518 by s0m3 guy, on Flickr

IMG_2515 by s0m3 guy, on Flickr

oh yeah and another thing I took awhile ago
merged three photos, had to enlarge quite a bit.

real life comic by s0m3 guy, on Flickr

Booty Pageant fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 21, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Some streets shots around the theme of prayer:

Prayer 1 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Prayer 2 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Prayer 3 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I love the runner and the first praying man. Super!

I did some street for the first time in a while today.

Camden Town. by Clwn, on Flickr

A, A. by Clwn, on Flickr

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Wonderful series of photos, Clown! Pretty inspiring stuff really. When I am done with my 100 faces of HK theme I plan to go from doing close-ups to some wide angle street stuff. On the subject, here are a few more of my faces project. Twenty left to go...

The rest here http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/

The Face of Hong Kong #70 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

The Face of Hong Kong #75 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

The Face of Hong Kong #56 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

The Face of Hong Kong #65 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

The Face of Hong Kong #61 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 24, 2012

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

JuanChai posted:

When I am done with my 100 faces of HK theme I plan to go from doing close-ups to some wide angle street stuff. On the subject, here are a few more of my faces project. Twenty left to go...

The rest here http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/

Wow, fantastic! I love both the project itself and the feeling that your photos convey - they evoke memories from my visits there back in 2001 too - of such a vibrant place filled with a diverse range of people.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Decided to give street photography another go, having acquired a slightly more compact camera since I never felt very comfortable getting up in people's faces with a huge chunky DSLR. I seem to be encountering a problem I wasn't quite expecting, people in this city are too damned polite. I point a camera in somebody's direction and they almost always stop walking/back up and apologise for getting in the way of my shot. Most people are happy enough to pose for a photo once I've explained what I'm trying to do but I'd be a lot happier if they just gave me an annoyed glance and kept walking...

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.
A Dad and son were walking by the coffee shop, until his traitorous soon decided he liked another man better.

my hosting:

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

ek posted:

Wow, fantastic! I love both the project itself and the feeling that your photos convey - they evoke memories from my visits there back in 2001 too - of such a vibrant place filled with a diverse range of people.

Thanks! I'm really glad that the photos brought back memories of your visit. That really became my objective for the project. My goal was to try and convey the atmosphere of life on the streets of Hong Kong whilst filling the frame with the main subject, the people. I tried to do this by using colour from the neon, which is so evocative of HK and, in a number of the shots, some very deep backgrounds in order to capture some familiar shapes (taxis, signs, etc.)whilst maintaining the narrow focal depth to try and isolate the subject as much as possible. I have never been very keen on photographing people, but this experience totally changed that - I really enjoyed every moment. The experience gave me a much better understanding of hwo to balance speed and ISO and I was surprised how much I got into thinking about colour, as in the past I have always liked to make the colours in my pictures quite withdrawn.

Anyway, here are the final results. Looking forward to starting a new project!

The Face of Hong Kong by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

JuanChai posted:

Thanks! I'm really glad that the photos brought back memories of your visit. That really became my objective for the project. My goal was to try and convey the atmosphere of life on the streets of Hong Kong whilst filling the frame with the main subject, the people. I tried to do this by using colour from the neon, which is so evocative of HK and, in a number of the shots, some very deep backgrounds in order to capture some familiar shapes (taxis, signs, etc.)whilst maintaining the narrow focal depth to try and isolate the subject as much as possible. I have never been very keen on photographing people, but this experience totally changed that - I really enjoyed every moment. The experience gave me a much better understanding of hwo to balance speed and ISO and I was surprised how much I got into thinking about colour, as in the past I have always liked to make the colours in my pictures quite withdrawn.

This is terribly awesome. I love how vibrant and full of life you've made everyone look. Really super work. I am inspired by your commitment and undertaking.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

JuanChai posted:

Great project that you also managed to, as most of us rarely do, finish. Love the sense of life, you can smell the street. Nice work!

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
A couple of recent shots, I vacillate between street abstractions and just finding strong portraits, but the more I shoot the less interesting it is to take a photo without some human element. Maybe I'm just getting more courageous.

Stand by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Confused Yet? by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Two by SirWyeth, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Clown posted:

What kind of processing did you do here? I really like this look and I want to know how to achieve it. Maybe a subtle split toning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
everything is shite

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 5, 2016