Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

inolen posted:

Snapped this off walking back from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It was almost eerie seeing the streets directly surrounding the parade so empty that someone would walk down them like this:

Although it can be a rare sight to see, I love moments like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

Cross - posting from SAD. I am happy to find this thread since I mostly shoot on the streets. Recently, I have been really rusty. But I made an effort in shooting from the hip today on the street.Well, it was more like shooting a bit above the hip since I am so short. :( I am happy with some of the images that I got. These photos were shot around the Upper West Side and Central Park South in Manhattan.

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-24 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-10 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr
Interesting pair.

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-8 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-2 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-1 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

From the hip (UWS_Midtown)-20 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

If only she was more in the frame.

Sinaasappelsap fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 24, 2012

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

maxmars posted:

I like your format, Brewdog, think I'll steal it. :)

Good morning madam, by Maxmars on flickr

Haha! Is she looking back at you? I like when that happens.

Last week, I stood on a corner on Times Square and just shot people. It was funny to see how barely anyone noticed what I was doing. I stood there for almost a half an hour.

March2012bw_031 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

March2012bw_028 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

I don't know what is going on with his face. I need to rescan. :(

March2012bw_024 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

March2012bw_026 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

mysticp posted:

The standing on the corner, or sticking in one area thing works really well for me also. Seems that in NYC everyone is in such a rush to get somewhere they don't notice you or are too busy to care.

Or they are this guy

Highline? I am so used to the first section that I forget.

Yep. Though, I noticed that in certain parts of my neighborhood (Castle Hill/Parkchester, The Bronx), people are very aware when a photographer is around. Today, I was shooting a storefront and these folks around me paused and were very curious to know what I was doing.

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

tween_spirit posted:

I started a tumblr for photos I've taken, to sort of help myself keep up with it and try to improve. It's largely street so it might be of interest to some people that follow this thread. I'm extremely open to comments/criticism as well. And maybe I should post in this thread too more often?

Followed! Thanks for posting. I occasionally post on my blog too. Posting here would be great too. It's nice to see how folks on SA go about street photography.

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

tween_spirit posted:

Thanks, I think I see who you are and it looks like you're in New York too, despite your dutch juice name

You mention how other people might go about street, so I might as well give some context. I mostly shoot older people that are alone; I rarely shoot groups. I like to keep things color and my main camera is fixed-lens / non-zoom so I kind of try and really get up there. I also avoid any post-processing as often as I can.

I feel my work kind of suffers for this but I want to just keep up with it all and take mental notes for improving over time.

Yep, I hail from the Bronx and I like orange juice.

I try to stick to black and white or shoot in areas where I can isolate my subjects. I have a hard time getting exactly what I want in color but I push myself from time to time. Old people are cool to photograph, I like to focus on their facial expressions. But I mostly focus on shadows, backlit figures, great clothing silhouettes of people and moments where you can almost feel what's going on.

I do not think avoiding post-processing can hurt a persons work -for me, it helps me really take my time in understanding my cameras. Plus, I am really lazy with editing unless it's for a shoot or I am scanning film.

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

I know that is the case with Facebook. My trick is to not upload my photos on Tumblr. I just embed and link from Flickr or on my web server..

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

DSC_0717 by wholesome_, on Flickr

I have a feeling that this is Saint John The Divine Cathedral.

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

There was an Anti-Stop and Frisk March in NYC. Folks gathered in Harlem and silently marched down 5th avenue. I was there with my mom's coworkers. I shot both digital and film but I was super happy with some of my film shots since I was working with a broken/jammed focus ring - the focusing looks very odd in some photos. I am planning on rescanning these since they were scanned at 72dpi.

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-54 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-51 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-47 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-30 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-55 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-61 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

Just photographing folks on the street in BK.

92060021 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

92060020 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

92060019 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

Summer2014-3 by Yorkville Barbershop, on Flickr