Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JuanChai posted:

Pictures and words

You make me want to get out and shoot the night markets here in Taiwan much more. Your style is great.

This is all I've got, and I am not too happy with it. 20mm was too wide, and 35 was too long for the spot I wanted to take a picture from :( Guess I should use my feet next time lol.

DSC_0194 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JuanChai posted:

I have always loved the cinematography in Chungking Express. I remember a friend had a postcard of a photo of Faye Wong taken from the movie which I used to stare at for ages. Interesting point you make about the scenes having objects in the foreground adding to the almost voyeuristic feeling. I think I will try that technique more often.

Thanks! That's made my day. Taiwan looks like an interesting place to shoot. There are plenty of night markets there right? I almost always use my prime 30mm or 50mm lenses so I have to zoom with my feet. Looking forward to seeing some more photos from you. I just added you as a contact on Flickr.

Thanks! I mainly use Flickr as a dumping spot though. I will try to put up some better pictures :D

There are tons of nightmarkets here. Every big city has 2-3, some have 4-5, and even the little cities have at least 1. Ive been wanting to get up to the big one in Taipie, where Snake Alley is and take some shots there. It is always crowded and something interesting going on.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A few I like from the weekend.

DSC_1442 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_1407 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_1388 by DarSevn, on Flickr

The second picture is an illegal vendor running because the police are coming. By the time I lifted my camera to my eye, he already had his bag rolled up, the other guy wasn't far behind.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Medusula posted:

attempting to take photos in my town

Spot how many people in this picture hate me.

Sad thing is I'm a white 30 something woman with a small child in tow. God only knows what it would be like as a non-white male.

I only see 3 people looking at you. The old lady seems the angriest, but old ladies always seem so angry to me. I am pretty sure this doesn't help, but I try to think of it like this. If someone punches me in the face, or smashes my camera, at least I will have a nice picture to give to the police :D

Really though, relax and don't worry as much. As long as you aren't looking sketchy, most people won't give you a second glance, and if they do, honestly, who cares?

Edit: You could always scowl at them when they walk by and say "Thanks for ruining my picture!" Not sure how well that would work though haha.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It seems like there are a million students in my city, and I never take their picture (aside from my own students). When I did take one, I missed the focus hah.

Time for school by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I got my first nice phone (Samsung Galaxy S II) last month, and I've been using the camera a lot, since it's always with me. Before I got a phone here, I used to carry my NEX-3 around all the time instead, but the smartphone is a "good enough" solution for casual stuff in decent light:

Street by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315633784945.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315645411981.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

1315645452832.jpg by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

I wanna say I like these, but every shot is from behind :( I wanna see some faces :colbert:

Edit: As far as phones go, all I can say is :drat:

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

Love shooting kids. Hate getting called a pedo.

This. It is a completely different world here, compared to America, but I am always afraid to point my camera at a kid, even here where I think they wouldn't care. I have a few, but the feeling is still there.

Sevn fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 15, 2011

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

Here in Australia it's basically no cameras or photography of any kind on school grounds or of students during school hours.

It gets ignored when parents come for events and what not, but as a teacher I have to constantly stop kids from taking photos on their phones.

Also my rangefinder is here. I am now ultimatestreetfag.

Wow, both of those are very interesting to know. Here in Taiwan I have never heard otherwise. I know there are a ton of photography clubs at the schools here, and while I don't make it a habit to bring my camera to school, I have always asked and nobody has said it is a problem, whether at public school or cram school.

Funny I would say 50% of the kids Jr High School or above have a phone that can take pictures, and when I worked at a Jr High, I constantly got stopped to have my picture taken with students.

Edit: US mentality, I am very worried about taking pictures of my students, and I wouldn't if there wasn't a very good relationship with a class that I have been teaching for a very long time.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clown posted:

I just got a 135mm f2 L, hoping to take more portraits. Will street shots not go well with it? Isn't it just a case of standing further away?

Well, I was going to say, go outside and try it out, if it works for you, who cares? Then, I decided to go to flickriver, and I found a photographer I really like now.

Untitled by dst.zero, on Flickr

His photo, not mine.

Some of the shots really show the length, and it looks like it can be limiting, but I think he does pretty good with it.

Edit: Well I linked the wrong guy, but just go look at flickriver, I saw a lot of shots I liked.
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/135l+street/interesting/

Sevn fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 15, 2011

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was up at 6am today... What does that mean? High school kids hah

Cheese!!! by DarSevn, on Flickr

Couple by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_6587 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Suicide Watch posted:

whattup Taipei!

On another note, is a f/1.8 lens perfect for shooting city streets at night at a decent shutter speed? I'm thinking of 1/20s with fluorescent lighting and street lights, not Times Square bright.

Taoyuan, but close enough to Taipei! I honestly love my 35mm 1.8 for everything, I can imagine it will do well at night shooting street stuff.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
More Taiwan street!

Narciso by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_7752 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Out cold by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_7612 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aidan_702 posted:

Even with a telephoto I still find pictures of people from the front scary to take. Even if they look in my direction I do a kind of pathetic "dum di dum just checking my camera works" and I shuffle off

I guess I am lucky living in a foreign country, I can just small and they smile back and that is it. Or if I am unhappy with the picture, I can try and ask them to take it again haha. Really, just try smiling and giving them a nod. Some people will still be an rear end in a top hat and frown at you.

Another photographer said he likes to look like he is looking into the distance, and then he just walks away without looking at the person.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DSC_8961 by DarSevn, on Flickr

He is on the street (sidewalk), that counts, right?

DSC_8969 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
More "street"

DSC_8879 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_8970 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_8943 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 20, 2011

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

Can't; will gently caress the comp.

If I crop out the shoulder then she's slightly off centre right looking right out of the close side of the frame. I tried it, looks poo poo.

As it is it's a part of the crowd. If I didn't want passers by in my shots I'd shoot glam or something idk.

That whole "as it is it's part of the crowd" nonsense is pretty loving stupid. It is one thing to leave something that adds to the feel of the image. However, to leave a hugely distracting and unappealing blob in the corner because it is a "passer by" is comical at best.

I'd say if you are going to shoot street, work up the courage to lift the camera all the way up to your eye and stop shooting from the hip.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Krakkles posted:

Guys, click on the link and look at the image - he rotated and cropped it, and it looks way better now.

Definitely looks better now. My reply was more in regards to his response toward the critique of his photo though. People passing by are just fine in a photo. Big black blobs however, rarely have their place.

Also, it looks like he has a lot of interesting places/people to shoot around him, so he should get comfortable bringing the camera all the way up. I have noticed a few different reactions. First, it is possible they don't even notice you, which is the best. The second reaction is that they notice you, but their face still has the original emotion and attitude, they just haven't had time to change it. The third and final response I have noticed is that they fully notice you, look at the camera, and they have time to change their expression before you take the picture.

The only thing he is getting by shooting from the hip is a tilted horizon, possibly missing focus, and not being able to compose the picture he wants to take.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

GOTTA SHOOT FROM THE EYE BECAUSE COURAGE

COURAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hip shooting provides an aesthetic that is appealing, you dingus. You're as bad as those useless old fucks on RFF that think hip shooters are all paedos.

And as I said, to crop out the whole blob would gently caress up the composition.

It's not a comfort thing. I used to shoot that way. I find it boring and all the shots I got were so mundane.

Nice, aggressive reply. If you are comparing me to the "old fucks" on RFF, I think an apt comparison for you would be those whiny little bitches on Flickr that flip their poo poo when someone dares to say something negative about their photo. I'll stop being an old gently caress when you stop being a whiny immature little prick.

That being said, you obviously have no clue about composition if you are saying every shot you took from eye level was boring and mundane. Quit crying just because a few people said you shouldn't have a drat blob in your picture.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

It's not about 'manning up' or 'having a crutch'. It's not about avoiding confrontation or being seen.

It's a style of photography that you can use. I've got a camera with a waist-level finder. Hip shooting without one isn't hard, and it's not just about luck. It just takes practise and work.

If I was 5'2" then I might shoot eye-level. But I'm not.

EDIT: tbh I can't believe this is still A Thing. Someone go tell Wigfall he's a coward.

Go read what I posted in the General Photography thread, I am not against shooting from the hip. It's cute that you keep harping on the courage thing when I only mentioned it because most people are too shy and nervous to take pictures of other people. If you don't fall into that category then simply ignore what I said, instead of beating that one little tidbit into the ground. If that was a rhetoric, I should have spent less time in my English classes and more time on SA.

The last thing I want to say is this. If you love shooting from the hip so much, you definitely need to practice more. More than a few of the pictures on your Flickr, which were obviously shot from the hip, were quite crooked and not well composed. TBH I can't believe you became so defensive over something so minute.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

Well if you'd like to go into Flickr and actually leave criticism I'd be happy to take it on board.

Especially in regards to images you don't think are well composed. Crookedness is ehhh...it doesn't bother me as much as it does some people. I don't go out of my way to shoot dutch and I'm quite pedantic about it in other areas, but when I'm out shooting street it doesn't bother me so much for some reason.

And all of my Flickr that I call street (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mca88/sets/72157625798590936/) is shot from the hip. Save for possibly one or two photographs I think.

And look the reason I'm defensive about it is because so many people pass it off as being this amateurish attempt at shooting in public for people who are shy or just poo poo or pervs or paedos or something. Like I said: RFF has entire threads devoted to ridiculing a different shooting style as being 'cowardly' and not just focusing on photographs instead.

Well, I definitely did not mean that you are a coward, and it was my fault for assuming that you are shooting from the hip because you don't have the confidence or courage to shoot at eye level. I shoot from the hip every once and a while as well, I just prefer eye level because I can compose and confirm focus. If I came off as an rear end or arrogant, I am sorry. I had no intention of treating it like that, I was simply trying to give a little advice.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Missed focus on the one I like the most :(

DSC_3326 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Got another one I like though.

DSC_3329 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

they both look like a crowd of people to me. I can't see what's supposed to be standing out there.

I was just trying to do a little street with something different, so I was using my 80-200. With such a long lens I couldn't really show you how crowded it was, but there were easily a couple thousand people in that area.

So in short, it is just a crowd of people, I just couldn't actually show you how crowded it was.

DSC_3316 by DarSevn, on Flickr

I got off of the high speed train to find the exit gate surrounded by 8 huge bodyguards. Apparently they were waiting for this guy, but I have no idea who he is. I didn't have the courage to take a picture of the bodyguards because anybody who stopped in their area got pushed away fairly quickly.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

You can force yourself to get used to carrying anything, it's just the adjustment period that will be weird for you and the people around you. There is a distinct point where it will cross over from embarrassment to acceptance, and you will be free to shoot all day- at the expense of being a weird camera guy weirdo.

I don't do it anymore, but I would if my joblife supported it.

And after that cross over, people you know will look at you strange when you are not carrying your camera with you.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

Yeah look I don't do that very much at all. I'll take my camera(s) out with me in the city or when I'm visiting friends who live in the city (because they're interesting enough to shoot) bit I don't take cameras out everyday or when I go out for the evening.

Definitely never take it to parties.

I usually take mine with me whenever I go out, but I rarely take it to work. Depending on the party, I might or might not bring it with me. Whenever I do bring it to a party though, it never interferes with me having a good time. I could see it being a problem for some people if they are shooting throughout the whole party. All in moderation, unless you don't bring it out because you are afraid of breaking it/forgetting it/getting it stolen.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

darknrgy posted:

Wow, this is really fun. I got the Sigma 30mm (crop sensor) a while ago with street in mind. Doing this in a tourist trap is a good way to get used to poking your camera in people's faces because they're sort of desensitized to cameras everywhere. Let me know what you think. This is my first try and I think these came out ok.

Wow, if anything I would say you might have been just a little too close haha. Good job getting so close though, did anybody say anything to you? I love my 35mm for street and I can't wait until I can upgrade to that 30mm 1.4.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bioshuffle posted:

So I was inspired to try my hand at street photography, while waiting at a car dealership.

Sales Tactic. That lens flare is really distracting.

Get On. I took this shot because she was completely zoned out and reading this novel. She was also wearing these really colorful socks but I can't seem to get the white balance right and I didn't want to do selective coloring, so I chose to go with B&W, at least until I solidify my basics.

Body Language. I just found the interaction between the salespeople and customers interesting. Nothing too special. I have a feeling I will develop a better eye for interesting pictures versus pictures of people standing around as I do this more and more. Currently I'm having a hard time telling the difference.

News. I felt pretty uncomfortable with taking this one.

What is camera. I know this picture's exposure is off the charts bad but I liked this dog's expression too much to get rid of it. Maybe I could crop out the owner's head and put the emphasis on the dog?

None of the subject matter is very interesting, but my main purpose was to get used to taking pictures of people, as well as start playing around with processing. Any feedback, especially in terms of composition and cropping would be greatly appreciated. Consider me hooked! I can't wait to go out with my camera and play "tourist" again. Upon giving a second glance it appears all of my pictures are slightly underexposed. Am I on the right track?

It's a great start, I would say, but it seems like you are cropping a little too tight. Also, why are all of the pictures in black and white? I noticed you said the picture of the lady is B&W because you can't fix the WB, but what about the others?

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bioshuffle posted:

Thanks! I think the cropping is due to my lack of attention to proper framing when initially taking the picture. All the pictures are in black and white because I just found various faults with the colors and I prefer the look of grainy black and white shots. Then again, without the fundamentals like composition, I don't think any amount of graininess can cover up a lovely picture. In the interest of learning to become better at this, I hope you guys won't mind if I upload the originals here, since it's a slow thread anyway.

Maybe this one isn't as bad as I thought in color, but initially I thought the cars in the background was too distracting. Although that would make sense, since this is a car dealership.

Hmmm.

This one just seems boring in retrospect. I guess it's just a snap shot of people standing around. Nothing compelling going on.

This one's not too bad in color.

Waaaay too underexposed. The bright background really threw me off. I don't know what I was thinking, but turning it to B&W and playing with the levels made it semi-salvageable.

After looking at these I feel like I should hold off on the film camera idea until I get my basics down on digital first.

Don't worry, I think these are great for your first attempt at shooting street. You weren't in the greatest spot and you still did a good job, though you are right about the composition being a little funky. Just attribute that to the fact that you are just beginning to get your feet wet in street. I still screw my street shots up, even when I stop people and asking them to take a picture. The only difference now is that I have more confidence in screwing up :D

Edit: I took a lot of pictures on New Years Eve, but I am not happy with most of them. I am convinced drinking and photography do not go well together.

DSC_4961 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 12, 2012

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DSC_8937 by DarSevn, on Flickr

An older picture, I wish the lady wasn't in the background though.

(didn't ask this girl to take a picture, she saw me about to take a picture while she was on the phone, looked up and smiled, so I snapped a picture of her instead.)

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Take a guess, who made who angry?

DSC_7063 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I like what you are doing with this, and I have thought a lot about doing something similar with Taiwan. It makes an interesting series, but it looks to me like you are cranking up the saturation a little. Am I wrong about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I got started on my "Faces of Taiwan" copy today. This is the "Multitasker". I waited for as long as I could, but she never looked up :(

DSC_7092 by DarSevn, on Flickr