Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Submitted this as a print for my intro to digital photography class:

Click here for the full 851x1280 image.

I wish I tried out more angles but I'm pretty satisfied considering my limited experience behind the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Clown posted:

I would love feedback on my shots if anyone has time. I think I'm just trying to convey whatever is in front of me, so while the characters may not be interesting, they are just shots of 'real life'.

Have you tried shooting with a wider angle lens? It looks like you're using your 135mm for a lot of the shots, at that focal length I feel as though the subjects need to be interesting because they're so detached from the surroundings.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

rio posted:

Trying to jump right into this - any critiques (regarding anything at all - I am just getting into photography) would be appreciated. These were my first tries with a Canon AE-1 on manual aperature and some Ilford film. I have been lurking this thread pretty hard to try to see what makes something interesting, but it is easier looking at other people's pictures.

This bionic dog seemed to be catching people's eyes. I think it would have been more interesting if I had gotten more of the little girls scooter in the shot.

This guy. This guy gave me the dirtiest look as I was quickly focusing the shot - and I wish I had waited just a second more to shoot it, because I would have gotten that look. I think at this point, he had just realized that someone was looking at him with a camera.

#1 - While the dog might be an interesting subject, there's not much that's really interesting happening in the frame. Everyone's back is to the camera, even the dog. I think you should have tired to capture people's reactions to the dog since you've noticed it was turning people's heads, but of course hindsight 20/20.

#2 - Way better than #1, it's obvious that there's something interesting happening to the left of the frame since it looks like the guy has his camera out, but I really want more context. I think it's not close enough to the two people, nor is it wide enough to capture the entire scene.

I think you're off to a good start though, especially if this is your very first attempt to get into street.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

From a few weeks ago:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Underpass by Jemuel Balangcod

I wasn't thinking about it when I was taking the picture, but definitely a homage to Cartier Bresson.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Trolley by Jemuel Balangcod

Went out shooting today and came back with something I was quite happy with.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Here's something that I took last October.

A Statue in Motion by Jemuel Balangcod

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I always got the impression that people don't want you taking pictures in a store because it could lead to some kind of negative impression on the store if you catch something bad happening with the store branding in the background. That being said, I took a few photos of interesting looking vegetables at Whole Foods a few weeks ago and no one said anything, it probably depends on how big and 'scary' your camera looks.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I took a break from school today and went shooting for a few hours, I got something that I liked:

Dancing Soldiers by Jemuel Balangcod

mes
Apr 28, 2006

s0meb0dy0 posted:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/opJfi.jpg[url][/timg]

Any feedback on post-processing or composition, even the small most detailed criticism, is welcome.

I ran from my apartment to chase some ambulances, hoping for an interesting story. Just some girl passed out on the street. But there was this guy, in his own little world, oblivious to everyone.

I think the technical bits are fine, the subject is sharp, post-processing isn't jarring, exposure looks good, but overall I think the photo is boring. I don't think there is really anything compelling about the photo, you didn't really get a full shot of his face to get his entire profile nor did you really include context about the scene unfolding around him like you described it. It sounds like you put in some thought about the photo when you were shooting it which is good, but it didn't really translate into the photo itself. Did you try other angles?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I really like the fact that the rain is really present in the photo. This was last weekend in San Diego, yes? I recognize the bridge. I'll take the opportunity to post a photo I took last Saturday:

Directions by Jemuel Balangcod

mes
Apr 28, 2006

^^ Skateboarding I assume? That's a pretty hilarious photo without context though.

I don't really have too much time this quarter to go out and work on some photography, usually the time I get are the in the breaks between classes.

Tiny Dog by jemuelb, on Flickr

mes
Apr 28, 2006

NFE_006019 by jemuelb, on Flickr

Street photography, right guys? :buddy:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Took a walk early sunday morning and saw some cars:

Cars by jemuelb, on Flickr

mes
Apr 28, 2006

LargeHadron posted:

What's everyone got against backs?

A picture of someone's back with a telephoto lens is babby's first street photo, that's why.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Some shots from my recent trip to the Philippines:

Burnham Park by jemuelb, on Flickr

University of the Cordilleras by jemuelb, on Flickr

Overpass by jemuelb, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

back to posting poo poo photos