Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

shame on an IGA posted:

I want to find out what the hell happened to Khan's mom

Died on the way back to her home planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

shame on an IGA posted:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I finally got into this after years of folks telling me I should and.....they were right. It's amazing. That said I don't think I was able to appreciate it when I was younger, and living in central Texas for 6 years I think really helps a lot of it land.

Hank is a closet liberal, he's actually a very progressive person when it comes down to it he just doesn't realize it. Bobby is p great, Dale is p great. Bill and Peggy are kinda awful. I'm somewhere in S9 so I've got a bit more to go, but it's been very enjoyable having avoided it based on my youthful impression of it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Honestly, it might he the best character driven sitcom ever.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've never come to terms with Hank and Bill having not played college football.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

Well neither of them went to college, so I don't understand how that would work...

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Sash! posted:

Football friends of mine have told me that Hank's running time, the thing he is most proud of besides, perhaps, being Arlen's best salesman of propane and propane accessories, is, at best, deeply mediocre.

I have to imagine Bill was the same.

I saw it in college and I saw it again in grad school when people who were the best and brightest of their class realize that they aren't that special. Since they alley-folk were in a field based on physical prowess, they were forced to have that reckoning earlier. They either ended up a goon or a mediocre man in a sad marriage with a child they struggle to relate to.

In NYC, Kahn is the dude who started working at the MTA when they were 18.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sash! posted:

It's a beautiful passive indictment of how brutal high school football culture is in Texas

VinylonUnderground posted:

Football friends of mine have told me that Hank's running time, the thing he is most proud of besides, perhaps, being Arlen's best salesman of propane and propane accessories, is, at best, deeply mediocre.

Also, yes, Hank's 40 time is absolute poo poo. Bragging about a time that even most offensive linemen can beat is a joke in itself.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 18, 2021

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Sash! posted:

What Vinylon said and he had a severe ankle injury that could feasibly change his running ability.

Bill just went straight to the military and had no interest in college. What they show in flashbacks he may have been a solid fullback.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I have to imagine Bill was the same.

I saw it in college and I saw it again in grad school when people who were the best and brightest of their class realize that they aren't that special. Since they alley-folk were in a field based on physical prowess, they were forced to have that reckoning earlier. They either ended up a goon or a mediocre man in a sad marriage with a child they struggle to relate to.

In NYC, Kahn is the dude who started working at the MTA when they were 18.

Kinda makes me wonder how knowledgeable about football Mike Judge and the writers actually were when they established that fact, cause I could see it originating as an error on their part and they just kept it later on as a gag

Also I wouldn't really agree about your summary about Hank's life, that is an unduly harsh judgment call

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I tried to think about something witty to say using the template of Peggy talking about swinging with the Gribbles but ultimately the show itself has a far better mastery of comedy than I ever could.

I ran through a lot of options.

They weren't very good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I tried to think about something witty to say using the template of Peggy talking about swinging with the Gribbles but ultimately the show itself has a far better mastery of comedy than I ever could.

I ran through a lot of options.

They weren't very good.

Note I was talking about Hank, Peggy you can go all out on mocking as she deserves it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

You don't need to run fast when you have THE BILLDOZER clearing the way

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
There are three stages of KOTH fandom
1. You are indifferent about Peggy
2. You hate Peggy
3. You realize Peggy is an amazing character and you love her

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

BlueBayou posted:

3. You realize Peggy is an amazing character and you love her

That's what I've been trying to tell you. They're fetishists. That means they obsess on one weird little thing. Which, in my opinion, is Peggy Hill.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If loving a woman with a size 3 brain and size 16 feet is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda makes me wonder how knowledgeable about football Mike Judge and the writers actually were when they established that fact, cause I could see it originating as an error on their part and they just kept it later on as a gag

The problem is that Hank and Bill were explicitly good players, even if they once gave Hank a lousy 40 time. Someone, somewhere, would have taken a shot and thrown a scholarship at the core players that got a team to the state championship, even if they lost. Maybe not Texas or Oklahoma, but a Rice or Baylor might.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought hank tanked his college football career when he celebrated in the end zone and tore up his ankle.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I mean Al Bundy was a star high school running back but never made it to college either.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I think Al had to give up his football dreams because he got Peggy pregnant and had to marry her and get a job right out of high school.

I know Hank's 40 time is bad but I don't know if the writers intentionally gave him a bad one or they were just ignorant of football and we're just supposed to ignore that and assume he would have been good enough for college without his ankle injury

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Another Bill posted:

If loving a woman with a size 3 brain and size 16 feet is wrong, I don't want to be right.

You got yourself a good man there, Hank.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Sash! posted:

The problem is that Hank and Bill were explicitly good players, even if they once gave Hank a lousy 40 time. Someone, somewhere, would have taken a shot and thrown a scholarship at the core players that got a team to the state championship, even if they lost. Maybe not Texas or Oklahoma, but a Rice or Baylor might.

I like to think that Hank rejected the idea of playing college football when a recruiter from SMU offered him a bribe.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

echopapa posted:

I like to think that Hank rejected the idea of playing college football when a recruiter from SMU offered him a bribe.

Ok, this is what I'm going with too. Never really put "the scandal" time frame into consideration, but this checks out.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

echopapa posted:

I just hope Hank never figures out that the booster who was going to supply the car was Buck!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Now I just keep hearing "propane death penalty" in my mind.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ruddiger posted:

I thought hank tanked his college football career when he celebrated in the end zone and tore up his ankle.

They never said he had any college prospects lined up but he definitely wasn't going anywhere after destroying his ankle. As for Bill, he didn't even graduate high school.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sash! posted:

Now I just keep hearing "propane death penalty" in my mind.

Head to feet, nice and neat
Feet to head... Well, everyone's dead.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
When learning to pet our cats, I told my daughter "Head to tail: you'll never fail. Tail to head: everyone's dead". She and our cats have a very good relationship since she learned how to rub them down.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Petting a cat in reverse is what I call cat roulette and it's very similar to propane roulette

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Petting a cat in reverse is what I call cat roulette and it's very similar to propane roulette

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A football injury derailing someone’s high school or college career is definitely a plot point that’s aged a little, just because of the advancement in surgeries the past couple decades.

Hank not going to college at all is kind of weird though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bobjr posted:

A football injury derailing someone’s high school or college career is definitely a plot point that’s aged a little, just because of the advancement in surgeries the past couple decades.

Hank not going to college at all is kind of weird though.

Hank was born in in 1953. It's not at all uncommon for boomers to have gotten a job right out of highschool and just work there as a career.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 24, 2021

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

I always assumed she died because in the next episode Bobby does a tarot reading for Bill and pulls Death.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hank was born in in 1953. It's not at all uncommon for boomers to have gotten a job right out of highschool and just worked there as a career.

It really illustrates Hank's loyalty. Besides the job selling jeans all he's done is work for Buck. He has/had a guy for cars (and Bobby's got one for vidya game systems).

Having a guy or just the one boss his whole life is my dad in a nutshell. :allears:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It really illustrates Hank's loyalty. Besides the job selling jeans all he's done is work for Buck.

It's also mentioned that he sold tractors at one point, though characters' personal histories are a lot like the layout of the house.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

bobjr posted:

lol if you don’t think Hank’s medical bills didn’t bankrupt his family. Why do you think he was working at Jeans West right out of high school?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s no way Cotton would pay for an injury to Hank’s leg.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I just hit the Bikers Week in Sturgis episode. Yet another thing Smashmouth has ruined. When will we learn?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bobjr posted:

There’s no way Cotton would pay for an injury to Hank’s leg.

"Surgery?! Only surgery I ever got was from a Tojo machine gun nest!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pay for a fuckin leg injury?? Cotton had his shins shot off during the war, you seriously think he'd pay for Hanks clearly womanly ankle injury?

I bet Tilly paid for it with her escape money.