Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

raditts posted:

Alas, he has thrown his last POCKETSAND.

There are a number of things wrong with that picture, and the fact that it contains a Peggy Hill tattoo isn't even the worst thing.
it took seeing the image quoted for me to look at the boggle board and see HOO YEAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

raditts posted:

Alas, he has thrown his last POCKETSAND.

There are a number of things wrong with that picture, and the fact that it contains a Peggy Hill tattoo isn't even the worst thing.

Are you referring to the fact that his underwear is showing? Or the fact that he has stomach hair? You think thats worse than having a large tattoo of a cartoon character on your arm?

HerrMorden
Sep 5, 2004

Thought begets Heresy, Heresy begets Retribution.
Was Yogi Victor Hank's Yoga teacher? If so, I loved that guy!

"Who among you doubts my powers?"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well, hell, I had no idea they didn't air the lot last year.

Still can't believe Boomhauer ended up in Guelph, that's where my parents live!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'd be really nice to get some real closure on the Dale/Nancy/Joseph/John Redcorn story. I mean, its kind of stretching credibility that Joseph hasn't figured it out even taking into account the fact that he's not... smart.

What I'd really like is for Dale to admit that he's known for years but he just didn't want to lose his marriage to Nancy (who he really obviously loves.)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I think Dale finding out would be devastating.

Maybe Joseph finding out would work...

I'd also like to see Hank become manager of Strickland

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Y-Hat posted:

The closest time that King of the Hill flaunted a guest star voicing himself was Willie Nelson, but even then they didn't whore him out like a typical Simpsons episode; he was actually an important part of the story.

Um, Dusty Hill???

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And the episode with Randy Travis. I remember the ads were "SUPER STARS OF COUNTRY KING OF THE HILL TONIGHT!" when it was on.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

And the episode with Randy Travis. I remember the ads were "SUPER STARS OF COUNTRY KING OF THE HILL TONIGHT!" when it was on.

But there were 2 episodes with the superstars of country music. One was where they played themselves, and the other was when they played truckers in the episode where Hank drove the semi from Arlen to Arizona.

Also, Chuck Mangione and Kid Rock.

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 24, 2009

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!
"I want to hear "Puff the Magic Dragon." Play that song, I like it, play it. "Puff the magic dragon..." "

"Bill, do you have any idea what that song is about? It's about a dragon!"

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
This has to be simultaneously the best Hank and the best Dale moment.

Dale: So it turns out I'm not the actual Dale Gribble, but a clone of him. The original Dale Gribble is a super-warrior from the year 2087. The second me, i.e. I, was created to help the first me fight the invading Mongol armies.

Hank: Dale, that's asinine, and here's four reasons why. First, you're not gonna clone a super-warrior out of a guy who can't even win a thumb-wrestling match. Two, you've spent your life swearing that the robots will eliminate the clones by the year 2010, so which is it, robots or clones? Three, you've already said you sympathize with the invading Mongolians of 2087, so you'd be the last one they'd send to fight them. And four, if you were from the future, you would have seen this coming.
*Hank punches Dale in the arm.*

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

twistedmentat posted:

There was one early season of the show where Fox would run promos that made the show seem a lot crazier than it actually was.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

i forgot about kid rock (i always try to) and dusty hill, but the chuck mangione scenes are always hilarious so i let that slide

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your Proud Pal posted:

i forgot about kid rock (i always try to) and dusty hill, but the chuck mangione scenes are always hilarious so i let that slide

Maybe because it "Feels so Good" to be alive?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I honestly had no idea Chuck Mangione was a real person till I googled him like 2 minutes ago. I always just assumed he was just somebody Judge had made up.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

This has to be simultaneously the best Hank and the best Dale moment.

"The Incredible Hank" may be my favorite episode - Hank going through second puberty is too drat funny, as is Joseph's obsession with wrestling Dale without warning.

IT JUST HURTS SO drat MUCH!

Hogarth Hughes posted:

Dale Gribble is one of the best characters in all of animated TV shows.

Hank, what would weirdos be doing near the gas station?

Hmm...what would weirdos be doing near the gas station...

I think 14 years was a good run for KotH, and it was nice of Fox to support them for so long but ordering a final run of episodes then refusing to air them, that's cold. As is canceling the DVD run.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Narrowing down a single favorite episode would definitely be tough. As lame as it sounds, I have always felt that I can really identify with this show and while I'm going to be sad to see it go, I know that it's honestly for the best. It really upsets me how awful the treatment of this show has been. I mean there have been times over the past few years when I would miss episodes simply because I had no idea when they were going to actually be aired. I will say that an animated show lasting as long as KOTH did is awesome, especially compared to how awful almost every other animated show on television is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JethroMcB posted:

Hank going through second puberty is too drat funny

Joseph: Sup.
Hank: Sup.

I also like when they setup Cotton and Kahn's first meetup. You think at first that they are going to go the one dimensional route and have Cotton view all Asians as Japanese, but they don't.

Hank: This is my new neighbor.
Dale: He's Japanese.
Cotton: No he ain't. He's Laotian. Ain't you, Mr. Kahn?

It's all the more amusing because Toby Huss does the voice for both Kahn and Cotton.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

bull3964 posted:

You forgot the best part of the Kahn/Cotton relationship

"Mr. Kahn I'll have a Mai Thai"

sintaxi
Oct 11, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Joseph: Sup.
Hank: Sup.

I also like when they setup Cotton and Kahn's first meetup. You think at first that they are going to go the one dimensional route and have Cotton view all Asians as Japanese, but they don't.

It's all the more amusing because Toby Huss does the voice for both Kahn and Cotton.

I figured that, out of anyone, Cotton could tell who was Japanese and who wasn't. After all, he did kill fid'dy of Tojo's men!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sintaxi posted:

I figured that, out of anyone, Cotton could tell who was Japanese and who wasn't. After all, he did kill fid'dy of Tojo's men!

He killed fid'dy germans too!

The only problem with Cotton episodes is that is often gets Peggy saying "Eewow Heemah" and I hate that. It just sounds so stupid because even the Japanese say Iwa Jima.

I realized I don't hate Peggy, i just hate when she says something horribly incorrect and is :smug: about it. Probably because I grew up with a guy that was just like that, and I wanted to pop him in the nose every day.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Congratulations, you've finally understood Peggy Hill's fundamental characterization. :cawg:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hall n oates mom posted:

Congratulations, you've finally understood Peggy Hill's fundamental characterization. :cawg:

Yes yes, yuck it up. I also just realized Boomhaur is a womanizer and Bill is a loser. :v:

Seriously, I always felt really bad for Bill. He seriously had everything in high school, but eventually just turned into a sad middle aged man.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 25, 2009

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I love this show too much, so I can't think of a moment that hasn't been mentioned already, except Hank's "OH MY GOD IT'S SO JUICY" and Bobby's reaction right after.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Jetstar posted:

I love this show too much, so I can't think of a moment that hasn't been mentioned already, except Hank's "OH MY GOD IT'S SO JUICY" and Bobby's reaction right after.
Classic scene and example of perfectly executed character humor. The consistency in actions of all characters is one of the show's crowning achievements.

RIP Just Lose it feat. King of the Hill. Despite foiling the entire DVD line release, Fox aggressively strips any KOTH poo poo off of youtube with vigor. Just search for actual clips of the show - basically nothing on there.

"I'VE GOT GOUT!"

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
My favorite part of the show was Buck Strickland, especially the episode where he takes Bobby gambling out of state.

"My daddy's having a heart attack!"

General Wishy
May 8, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yes yes, yuck it up. I also just realized Boomhaur is a womanizer and Bill is a loser. :v:

Seriously, I always felt really bad for Bill. He seriously had everything in high school, but eventually just turned into a sad middle aged man.

I don't feel bad for him at all. He is usually given opportunity to be happy and either dismisses it or realizes it doesn't make him happy. Bill will always go status quo. I mean there were at least 2 episodes where he got a little healthier and more muscular only to lose it all by next episode.

Bill does not want to be happy.

CherryBomb
Feb 20, 2006

I've heard quite a few people begrudingly watch KotH on Adult Swim because they're sooo bored and NOTHING else is ooonnn and end up turning into real fans of the show who regretted missing it the first time around. Even that backhanded kind of appreciation of the show lets you know that the fanbase is growing a little. I don't think it'll ever be as explosively vocal as the Simpsons or Family Guy, but KotH was never the kind of show that asked for it anyway.

Favorite episodes: The one where Bobby goes to clown college, the one where Bobby hangs out with Ward the goon, The one where Khannie and Joseph hit puberty... drat I guess I like a lot of Bobby-centric episodes. But "Nancy's Boys" is probably my favorite episode of all :shobon:

Roflcopter
Dec 21, 2004

CherryBomb posted:

I've heard quite a few people begrudingly watch KotH on Adult Swim because they're sooo bored and NOTHING else is ooonnn and end up turning into real fans of the show who regretted missing it the first time around.

This is basically how I became a fan. I hated the show and hadn't watched it in years. On New Years or whenever they had that marathon, I watched it and fell in love. Now I watch it every night from 1-2 on one of my fox channels and 2-3 on AS. I really hate myself for never giving it another chance

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

Roflcopter posted:

This is basically how I became a fan. I hated the show and hadn't watched it in years. On New Years or whenever they had that marathon, I watched it and fell in love. Now I watch it every night from 1-2 on one of my fox channels and 2-3 on AS. I really hate myself for never giving it another chance

This is me too. In my defense, I still think the early episodes are painful to watch and can completely understand why a middle-school aged me stopped watching. Had I known it would improve so dramatically over time I would have resumed watching years ago.

I'll watch this with pride, and hopefully while eating some meat grilled with clean, energy-efficient propane. :911:

CherryBomb
Feb 20, 2006

I was 10 when it debuted and hated it immediately for being nothing like Beavis and Butthead. I even hoped for a cameo for awhile. How silly of me!!!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
The best episode is Won't You Pimai Neighbor? where Bobby is the reincarnated Lama Sanglug. I really like the fact that there is so much internal conflict and everyone deals with it in their own ways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think one of my favorite episodes is "My Own Private Rodeo" just because of the reveal. "Yes its a grand ole time at the GAAAAHAAAAY RODEO!"

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

insideoutsider posted:

My favorite part of the show was Buck Strickland, especially the episode where he takes Bobby gambling out of state.

"My daddy's having a heart attack!"
I haven't seen a LOT of episodes, but I have seen this one, and it was FANTASTIC.

sintaxi
Oct 11, 2005

My personal favorite was the "Wizards of Arlen". I admit that I occasionally use the line "score one for the acolyte!" in an appropriately ironic way, which, of course, confuses most everybody.

I also sympathize with the Peggy-haters out there. The main problem is that even in the episodes where she gets upstaged, she still comes out on top. That RenFair episode is the best example. She's a case of the writers doing too good of a job--I can appreciate the humor but still think she's an awful character. It also takes an episode or two to truly get how much of a blowhard she is.

sintaxi fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 26, 2009

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah I love this episode, the one were Peggy gets scammed by the Intelligence institute thingy.

Though who the guest star is is driving me nuts.

"heh he...you were going to steal his car. That would of been a crime."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It's Jeff Goldblum, episode name "The Substitute Spanish Prisoner".

One of the most hated by idiot goons who don't "get" KOTH, because Peggy gets a win (even after humiliating herself to rock bottom).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hall n oates mom posted:

Ah yes. It was so obvious but I was completely blank.

quote:

One of the most hated by idiot goons who don't "get" KOTH, because Peggy gets a win (even after humiliating herself to rock bottom).

Weird, I think its hilarious. Not Dale's mower is stolen by Hank hilarious, but great.

sintaxi
Oct 11, 2005

hall n oates mom posted:

No amount of humiliation for Peggy is enough for us idiot goons. She gets more and more obnoxious with every win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacklotus
Dec 12, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

He killed fid'dy germans too!

The only problem with Cotton episodes is that is often gets Peggy saying "Eewow Heemah" and I hate that. It just sounds so stupid because even the Japanese say Iwa Jima.

I realized I don't hate Peggy, i just hate when she says something horribly incorrect and is :smug: about it. Probably because I grew up with a guy that was just like that, and I wanted to pop him in the nose every day.

This is the reason why the episode where Peggy leads a field trip to Mexico and accidentally kidnaps a Mexican girl is probably one of my absolute favorites of the series, if only for her testimony in court at the end.

I also love the one where Hank gets emotional about his truck dying solely because of Bobby's line, "To the Flowers of Time!" Oh, and the one where Bobby starts kicking everyone in the nuts, cause of the whole "That's my purse! I don't know you!"

Something I'm curious about though: I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of this show, and while there are definitely episodes that I love a lot more than others, I don't think I consider a single episode bad. And I'm just curious if there's any sort of consensus of most hated KotH episodes (aside from "The Substitute Spanish Prisoner," apparently).

I will say, though, that the hardest episodes for me to watch, from a main plot standpoint, are Bill-centric ones. I didn't mind them too much at first, but after the one from either this season or the last where he wound up with diabetes, he just sorta crossed the line from an "I feel bad for him" sort of pathetic to a "there's absolutely no hope for this whatsoever" sort of pathetic. After that episode, watching any other Bill-centric one just doesn't work for me anymore. Aside from the one where he goes crazy and thinks that he's his ex-wife. That one's still gold to me. I still don't consider them bad episodes though, since I usually like everything else in them aside from him.