Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So they're not content with just pulling the show in favor of a Family Guy spin-off, they canceled the DVDs and won't show the last four episodes. And yet they're trusted with Futurama again when Adult Swim and Comedy Central both handled it better. They won't learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jetstar posted:

Fox will eventually be taken over by Family Guy knock-offs anyway.
If The Simpsons falls to the Seth MacFarlene empire, I'll be upset even though the show has been in decline for a decade.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

Is anyone else sad that adult swim stopped doing "King of the Hill is brought to you by <some local Arlen business>"
They've been doing it on some commercial breaks, just not all of them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's amazing how Fox continually screws over Mike Judge, with this and with Idiocracy. If he does another TV show, it should be with another network.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

livingfruitvirus posted:

He just tried that.......didn't go so well.
Did he do it with a cable station? Of course you're not going to get as much money or viewers working for them, although the quality will definitely be higher there than on Fox.

Is he planning on doing anything after Extract?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I'm guessing Fox might be planning on licensing out the DVDs. Of course, this assumption comes from the first and second seasons of KOTH being available as a pack for $20 at my local Wal-Mart.
I hope so, since there's no real point in holding on to the DVD licensing rights to King of the Hill but not releasing any past season six. Other than petty spite, of course, something that probably isn't a foreign concept to Fox.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

Perhaps, it did also resurrect Futurama recently.
And that's also going to Fox, right? If so, that makes Adult Swim look like a shelter for shows abused by Fox. After nurturing them until they're ready to go back into the world, the show runs back to Fox where it's subjected to more pain.

That's a real :smith: metaphor, I apologize.

quote:

It always gets brought up but, I love how gracefully KotH handles having its guest stars. They almost never play themselves (Ann Richards and a few others excluded) and when they do it's not like The Simpsons where it's like HEY WE'RE GREEN DAY. WHATS UP BART. You get Jeff Goldblum as a con artist, or Brendan Fraser as David Kalaiki-Ali'i or Sydney Pollack as Grant Timble, foot fetish video maker or Snoop Dogg as white pimp Alabaster Jones and so that I don't mention every guest star the show has ever had I'll stop now.
The closest time that King of the Hill flaunted a guest star voicing himself was Willie Nelson, but even then they didn't whore him out like a typical Simpsons episode; he was actually an important part of the story.

Two of my personal favorite guest voices were Carl Reiner (of The 2,000 Year Old Man fame) as the Jewish boyfriend of Hank's mom and Brad Pitt as Boomhauer's brother.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm laughing just thinking about that episode. While there aren't episodes I can say are outright "bad", there are a few awkward/weird episodes. Like the one where Luanne gets that new gig with the pig... thing. I forget what really happens, but it's where she works for a psycho who dresses her up and tries to get her to marry this guy. In the end the psycho dies a pretty brutal death.
That's a great episode, but also a creepy one. Something out of a horror film.

It also takes Luann's character to the extremes of her naivete.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

Its great because Luanne's naivete sometimes works to get advantage. For example the cult never really converts her.

"Well, it's cold, and you locked me in a closet and yelled at me, but I have made a lot of new friends, so yes."

In that sense, she really is a lot like Bobby - the pile of mush that can't be built up or knocked down.
Blame it on the Platter genes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

The scene from the volunteer firefighters episode (that whole drat episode, I tell you what) is phenomenal.

"My name is Dauterive-comma-Bill. I am also insane."
Boomhauer's recollection of what started the fire makes that episode.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Your Proud Pal posted:

The Connie-gets-her-period episode plays host to one of my favorite Hank lines:

How many cows do you people eat in a year?
Wait, we figured this out once...
That episode was on tonight's Adult Swim, it's a classic. I also remember seeing commercials for it on Fox when it was a new episode.

The first episode I remember seeing was the one where Bobby was diagnosed with ADD. I want to see it again for old time's sake.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

More "King of the Hill has awesome guest voices" fodder: the skateboarding preacher is voiced by the lead singer of Sum-41, and his dad is voiced by Gene Simmons. It's the little things that make the show great.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Peggy started out more naive than narcissist and I was sad to see her become such an egomaniac. I can't loving stand Peggy episodes despite knowing that they all end with her getting her comeuppance.
Luann and Bobby already fill the show's naive quota.

I don't hate her as much as many people do, even though Mike Judge has said that she's not supposed to be a likable character.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Your Proud Pal posted:

I'm fairly certain I've seen a Pocket Sand! avatar before, and I know someone has one of Hank sparking up a j with Gail.
bobservo has an avatar of Hank Hill smoking a joint.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That ending was perfect. The only way it could have been better was if Hank told Bobby, "You're gonna turn out all right" (shamelessly stolen from a poster early in this thread).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

NightGoat posted:

I'm wondering if there is going to be a spinoff now - Boomhauer, Texas Ranger.
Seth McFarlene is the Fox cash cow, not Mike Judge. Here's hoping.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

robot roll call posted:

it got an actual kind of promoted sendoff with a great conclusion.
Really? I didn't get that at all, considering that the Giants-Redskins game had three seconds of a sidebar telling us to watch King of the Hill tonight at 8:00 and no announcers telling us about it.

I could blame that on Joe Buck being a horrible announcer, but I dunno.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Actually the announcers said "Stay tuned for the shocking one-hour series finale of King of the Hill!"
The only part I didn't see was the first half of the third quarter, was it during then? If it wasn't, then I can blame myself for tuning out the announcers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I saw Boomhauer's badge in the end and didn't think much of it at the time. It was only looking here that I found out what it's all about.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The "joke" is that McFarlane was supposed to be on one of the planes that was hijacked but overslept and missed his flight.
Speaking of which:

I know that producing doesn't mean you have complete creative control over the show, but honestly, how can anyone but Mike Judge do a revival/reboot?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Neon Noodle posted:

fake as hell
Fooled me, it got the couch chat thread all riled up and another friend of mine heard about it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mike Judge doesn't really put his personal political views into his work. As long as that continues to be the case, I'll keep watching his stuff. Political posturing is too common in comedy shows these days to begin with, we don't need a potential KotH revival to have that as well.

Wasn't Dale Gribble directly inspired by Alex Jones? I seem to remember Judge has been friends with him for a long time.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Counter point: The Goode Family.
Hopefully he never makes that mistake again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I mean Seth is behind American dad which is one of the best shows ever made so I'm cool with it
He didn't do all that much for it except for the songs and the voice of Stan. One of the songs is this one, and it's a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFV1uT-ihDo

Seth can be funny when he wants to be, it's just that he can't be assed to be that way most of the time.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My friend lives in a rural area outside of Stillwater, Oklahoma with her boyfriend- a guy who she had an affair with many years ago when she was married. She says he talks like Boomhauer and has the wackjob beliefs of Dale. Even though Hank has issues with Oklahoma, King of the Hill seems to be relatable to people in that state too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Happy final five minutes (from EST) of International Womens' Day! "I am a proud, ignorant woman and no one is going to change that." -Luanne Platter

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 9, 2018