Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love when Bobby's dressed like a cowboy and Hank just puts his arm around Peggy and says in his reverent voice, "Let's go get some steaks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Peggy started out more naive than narcissist and I was sad to see her become such an egomaniac. I can't loving stand Peggy episodes despite knowing that they all end with her getting her comeuppance.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Faxman posted:

This makes me very depressed. It seems that Fox is willing to give money for anything that Seth MacFarlane wants to do.

Why can't we have well written shows with developed characters and actual plot lines like KOTH? Why?
As sad as I am to see King of the Hill go, it had an incredible run and lackluster ratings. I'm just amazed Fox kept it as long s they did. Of course, if they'd loving advertised it- Ah, it's not worth frothing at the mouth over.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"Unless you consider eggs protein."

"I do not."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When I was seventeen or nineteen, I can't remember which, my Uncle Pete had a casual acquaintanceship with The Man. Still does as far as I know. I had the opportunity to write a spec-script for King of the Hill and knew, for a fact, that it would've wound up in the hands of Mike Judge. He may not have read it, but he would have gotten it.

The only concept I could come up with at the time, which was relevant in 2001, was the idea of the Hills' favorite Luby's cafeteria being turned into a Starbucks (It was more relevant back then) with a B-story of Bobby and Joseph repeatedly debunking Dale's crazy theories only to discover he needed them to get by his daily life when the A and B stories collided with a crazy theory about Starbucks.

It was poo poo. I knew it was poo poo. I knew I was too young and had no business turning a script into a man I'd admired since his career took off.

I told my Uncle Pete that I was flattered he would even ask Judge about me, but that I couldn't in good conscience use his friendship (alleged friendship, anyway) to further my career.

Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if I'd have buckled down and written something I actually liked and gotten it into the man's hands.

Edited for memory fuckage.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 20, 2009

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah Hank BUHHH!ing about Starbucks would make sense to me.
That, and a callback to "Thanks for the latte, Kenneth" are the only two jokes I remember. I wish I'd have kept my first draft. Not only did I not send it to the guy, I was so ashamed of it one night I got drunk and deleted it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Well there wwas also a whole thing were Hank hates Luby's (I think it might by Ludy's or Luly's in the show. But Luby's is a real Texas thing.) and only goes there because Bobby likes it, so nobody can figure out why he's fighting so hard to keep the Starbucks out, but then in the end it turned out that's where Peggy told him she was pregnant, which would be kind of a big deal anyway, but was a bigger deal because of his narrow urethra.

Looking back on it, I totally should've turned it in. Even if it sucked, it's really not that bad of an idea for a teenager.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"How was your weekend, Bill?"
"Both of 'em!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

krylex posted:

I love the credits of one of the Futurama movies, they show the main characters that the actors voiced and when they get to Phil Lamarr, they show a tiny little Hermes all alone.
Really? Because Phil LaMarr voices a poo poo-ton of characters on Futurama.

If they did that, that's pretty funny.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"Propane's a dirty girl.

I'm loving this italics thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Meeble posted:

It was pretty amusing seeing prototypes of Peggy, Dale and Bill while I was rewatching Beavis and Butt-Head earlier.

And of course Hank being Mr. Anderson. But everyone knows that.
Hank is easy, but who are the prototypes for Dale and Bill?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So Hank wasn't on Family Guy? Did they air the episode they said they would?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Syrant posted:

It's his civic duty to the United States of America.
After this thread I have a very hard time not reading all italics as Hank Hill reverence voice.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The rooster just look real mad!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

One of the main cast members is dead so no, there's no hope for the show ever coming back.
Who died?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

Brittany Murphey (Luanne)

:(
Holy crap! I forgot she was the voice!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I know that hating Peggy is really the point of her character and seeing her get her comeuppance is the point of all of her episodes, but whenever that woman says something and then says, "-Peggy Hill." I want to change the channel.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gonna' have to go with "POCKET SAND!" or when Dale does a diving leap to Hank's nespaper all, "Shuh shuh SHAH! ... Burgle averted."

Not sure about the episodes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

edit: WTF is up with those artifacts in the pocketsand one? Like I said.. I'm trying my hand at it, as in I've never done it before.
You are a kind and wonderful person.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fooley posted:

I think seeing some random hipster/goth/punk/whatever the hell their target is would piss me the hell off. The same way my dad's generation gets annoyed at kids wearing AC/DC and Skynyrd shirts.
I LOVE it when kids wear that poo poo. Shows they're listening to something decent. Would he rather they were wearing a Nickelback shirt?

Hot Topic sucks but if they're selling King of the Hill poo poo at least that's a step in the right direction.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Crotch Bat posted:

I've met enough Texans who acted like Hank about Texas to know that the show is well grounded in that aspect. I'm not saying all Texans are like that but Texans are more of a "heh, my state is ____ :smug:" than anyone else on the whole. I think a lot of them treat it like some half-assed treehouse club.
It'd be nice to be proud of a state. I'm actually pretty jealous. Sadly their opinions aren't grounded in any sort of facts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Hank would do two things: either vote for Obama with some heavy reservations or simply not vote at all. I can't believe he would fall for Palin after the wink incident. That's just too unprofessional for his type.
Wink incident?

Also he had serious reservations about voting for W after his handshake was limp.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Boggle...?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

criscodisco posted:

I've never understood their having two sliding glass door to the back yard.
My Grandma's old house in Austin had two sliding glass doors to the back yard. One in the dining room, one in the living room.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

KingShiro posted:

Well all the seasons they have on Netflix won't be available for streaming anymore come the first of April. :smithicide:
Bwaaah!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I was told by a texas goon that Arlen is sort of a combination of a bunch of suburban towns around Dallas.
I thought it was meant to be closer to Houston. Somewhere west of Conroe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why? Why is it leaving Netflix? It's not like it's costing them DVD sales!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I know, I know. I'm a broiled ox penis.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love Peggy as a side character. I just can't stand the Peggy-centric episodes for the reasons you stated and because I've just known too many people who are just like her.

She's awesome on the periphery, though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

Someone in the "Post your pet theory" thread actually posted something that made sense.

Bobby is actually Bill's son, not Hank's.
Bwah!

That makes so much sense it hurts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChickenMedium posted:

Sh-sh-sha!
Burgle averted.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Between you and me, I'm out of things to say to that woman.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fooley posted:

I mentioned this before, but I have a theory awesome Hills skip a generation. Cotton was awesome, Hank is lame. Bobby had all the "manly" skills Hank didn't and, in universe, there's no way that kid wouldn't become an actor/comedian. Unfortunately that's as far as it goes.
That doesn't really fly considering the fact that Hank can't father children and Bobby is Bill's son.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

The smoking episode is great but I think the boggle one is better. Hank's "loser" speech, the mower expo, Boggle Grandmaster Alexei Golgarin...
I pretty much can't take that episode at face value anymore after the Youtube Poop of it.

Boggle?!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Whelp, Luanne's Dad is good and in no way in Prison when Leanne Platter comes to visit.

Continuity errors bug the poo poo out of me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bobby is actually Bill's son.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

Arlen is within something like a 200 mile radius from Dallas. They're close enough that they can drive to it on short notice but far enough away that they don't do it casually.
Khan commutes into Houston. No way are they close to Dallas.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I am always eating pasta off a plate just to prevent an onset of Billness.
One of the cool parts about being married is occasionally indulging in Billisms with impunity.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Atasi posted:

That episode rings true for me because we also have an obnoxious local restaurant that has excellent meatloaf sandwiches.
I'm visiting family in Texas and we went to the Salt Lick, the retaurant that place is based on. Easily the best BBQ I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Budweiser is an import outside of America.

And it's still poo poo.