Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Did Adult Swim buy the rights to all of the episodes in the KotH library? It seems like I've seen all of the episodes they air several times through, and I refuse to believe it's 14 seasons' worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Somewhere in the large expanse of episodes I never caught, I never found out why that one guy who works with Hank always calls everyone "Honey". Did he come out of the closet at some point, or is it just a weird idiosyncrasy he has?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Since Adult Swim only shows the same 40 or so episodes over and over, I haven't seen what is most likely a good chunk of KotH.

I am watching the one where Peggy brings home a mexican girl from a field trip, and I noticed that Bobby said it was Hank that sent a spanish-english dictionary. Does Hank ever outright acknowledge that Peggy is a blow-hard, at least directly?

I guess I just assumed until now that Hank believed her BS as much as she did.

I should note that I'm one of the (seemingly) rare Peggy fans. A Peggy episode makes my day. But I'm gay and I think that makes a difference in loving her versus hating her.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

twistedmentat posted:

Those who think Peggy is just a funny cartoon character, do you know any one like that? I grew up with two people, a mother and her son, who acted just like Peggy. She was even a substitute teacher. Though she never subbed for french.

In a way, and maybe that's why I love her. My grandma was a spanish teacher for a million years, but she was really good at spanish. So much so that she was one of the interpreters for the Pan-am games in 84.

But, she was over the top in her spanish poo poo. She took in a cat and named in Felicé, which meant sad little boy or something faggy. When our entire family took to calling it "Feces", she nearly cut us out of her life.

Also, she would pronounce anything remotely spanish-sounding super-accenty. Once we went to DQ and they had Choco-tacos, and she ordered mine as a "hhhoco-taco", with choco rhyming with loco.

As for the gay thing; I think that we tend to love women who are over the top and would drive straight men batty. Like Kim Catrall or Rosie O'Donnell. For the record I hate Rosie O but my partner thinks she can do no wrong.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
"Hank, I'm looking on the bright side. This list will let me relive Cotton's death over and over again."

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Peggy's voice sounded off to me, too.

socialsecurity posted:

Television CC is often done by script which sometimes gets changed before being finalized, also it is typed up by people who don't make much and doesn't really get doublechecked.

I don't know if it's still this way, but The Simpsons used to vary wildly from what was being said on-screen.

Also once I saw Buffy tell Riley that his colon smelled good.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Not very well, obviously.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Are the Adult Swim guides off for anyone else? They had "Night and Deity" as last night's first episode, and I'm wondering if tonight's description of "After the Mold Rush" is correct because I swear they just showed that episode.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
He's always had the majority of his career in voiceover work, though.

Remember all those old GMC commercials with him in them? When he started on Arrested Development, I recognized him from all sorts of crap.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Are there any episodes that give backstory to Nancy?

It's funny because I used to think she was annoying, and then after she left John Redcorn I enjoyed her much more. Which is weird because as far as I can tell, that was her only character; that she was banging John.

But her reactions to all of Dale's comments kill me.

"I couldn't help noticing, sug, that you're not eating any solids and you're only drinking clear fluids."

EDIT: I was just reading the bio on the actress who does her voice, and it says that she also took over the voice of Bobby for two episodes in season 11 (but doesn't say which they are). Does anyone know offhand which they are? I'd love to hear, and see how noticeable it is.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

twistedmentat posted:

What the hell is Bacava? Or baclava or what ever the hell Lucky was eating.

It is the Au Pair that slaps you when you chase her into the kitchen.

I loved his pronunciation of it, sort of like "backa lava".
It's almost like a brownie made of layers of puff pastry with honey and nuts and stuff inbetween the layers of puff pastry.

All baklava is good, but fresh baklava is awesome. Even though it's turkish, they have it in like every greek restaurant, even the drive-thru at gyro places.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Since none of my Fox affiliates show KOTH, is there anywhere I could have seen these before?

I swear, the description for The Honeymooners and Bill Grows Moss sound really familiar, and I could swear I've seen them before.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

hall n oates mom posted:

Yeah, but it literally was one of those. A slot filler with no real drive behind it. It was the golden girls dealing with Dorothy's son getting married to an old black woman! It's That Kind of Episode :roflolmao:

You're just lucky that I'm gay because now I know exactly what you're talking about.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
You know those blackout corners that everyone was bitching about a few pages back?

How long do those appear on the screen? Because now when I get high and watch KOTH, I realize that I'm not watching the episode at all but spending the whole time staring at the corners and waiting to see one. And after a while I start convincing myself that I saw one in my periphery in the opposite corner that I'm looking at.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Scott808 posted:

I think Casey tried to make Sriracha ice cream on a Quickfire on Top Chef. Is it popular enough that the Sam's Clubs/Costcos on the mainland carry it? I know for sure Sam's has it; can't remember if Costco has it too.

It's also common enough that it's been on about half of the tables in cheap Chinese restaurants that I've been in, in Indiana and Ohio.

I guess I haven't heard Tom Petty's speaking voice enough, because I always assumed Lucky was a fake voice he made up. It's a fake accent, but tonight I was picking up the house and the TV was on in the background, and I thought I heard KotH and got excited about it airing at 5pm, until I realized it was that episode of the Simpsons where all those rock stars were at some camp.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It was only about a week ago that I mentioned to my partner, "Hey, what is Peg short for?", and we googled and discovered Margaret.

I think that even if you hate this show, you can only be exposed to so much before you fall for it. My partner and I have lived together for about 10 1/2 years, and he's always hated KotH. But in the last few months, he's started asking if we have any on the DVR.

A week ago, I downloaded the first few seasons, so we could work our way though. It's almost jarring to see season 1 episodes, just because the animation is so low-budget.

Also, we watched the one today where Peggy realizes that Hank had mono in high school. He really should have remembered her reaction, for when he discovered that she wasn't a virgin when they married.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Crotch Bat posted:

His name is Gilbert, as in Gilbert Gottfried but in this case since its of French background, the "t" is simply silent.

Also, like in most French, the "G" has more of a "J" sound than english-speakers are used to.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I like the episode well enough, but it's one of those that makes it hard to like Bill.

Also, voices are weird things. I loved Newsradio and saw each episode at least 3-4 times, probably more. But until a month or so ago when Stephen Root was on Coast to coast AM and he mentioned KotH, I had never realized that he was Bill.

Now I can't unhear it at all. Also, my partner never really liked the show but I think it seeps in on you because after years of half paying attention, suddenly these last few months he loves it and wants to watch several eps daily. I've recently gotten into the habit of seeing who the guest voices were, and they really did have some amazing guests in bit spots.

Including this creepy motherfucker:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The other episode of the evening was good timing, too, as it had Rue McClanahan as Nancy's mother, Bunny.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My new favorite line:
"I had to learn about Megalabsorbancy!"

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

twistedmentat posted:

I can justify it by thinking Hank thinks it's something completely different than being the guy who gives and gets it.

I'm just amazed that I never caught that joke. Even more amazed that I'm a 30-something year old gay man, and I've never heard that term.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I took this image for the PYF funny images thread, then I noticed what website Dale went to to look up Hank's birth certificate.

It makes me really sad that this URL remains unclaimed.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

The Moon Monster posted:

I like the idea of John Redcorn and Bill being best friends.

John Redcorn was saying that he slept with Hank's best friend's wife all those years. That's why it's funny that Dale passes right over it.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

JammyLammy posted:

What episode was this from?

Watching the episode that had Green Day on. That was one thing I always liked about the show, they would get guest stars but it was never like they stepped out and had Hank or Bobby going "Oh My God is that TV star/Movie star/Musican _______" but it was always normal roles. Half the time I didn't even realize it was someone famous until someone else told me.

I didn't know that Tom Petty played Lucky until I was cleaning the house one day and the TV was on, and there was a Tom Petty interview. I was dusting and thought "King of the Hill... at 10am?"

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

twistedmentat posted:

Also, after Khan tells Hank that Boby is a "Girl Crazy Sex Pervert", he walks a few steps, and smiles, then laughs.

You missed the best part, which was the sigh and "whew!". Believe me, honey, I remember that noise from my dad when I took a girl to prom.

Also, the ashtray in the background of Dale's van is a nice touch. I certainly wouldn't have thought of it, and almost missed it completely:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I noticed a nice callback in the episode Pregnant Paws, when you see a pack of cigarettes in Hank's shirt pocket.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also, Luanne isn't an adopted niece, but just a plain old niece. Also, her and Peggy make no attempts to stay out of Hank's way.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I hate Buckley's angel, mostly because of that awful song they play every time he shows up. Good lord, that song has always gotten under my skin.

EDIT: Also, Hank's mom is a big bitch in this episode compared to every other time we see her.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Gimme a minute, I'll get the disc.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They sure are. Good eye.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

ANMAN posted:

I am aware The Simpsons goes back and changes things, but it's extremely costly and tedious (according to the DVD commentary).

I had no clue. Do they do that just for the DVD releases, or the ones that run in syndication, too?

I tried googling a list or something, but do you know any examples off the top of your head?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Is there any other reference to Boomhauer being really into fireplaces, short of the line "A store that sells nothing but fireplace hardware? Boomhauer must have been in hog heaven!"?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Am I confusing shows, or wasn't there a flashback to Bobby being terrified of clowns as a kid? I know they did something similar on The Simpsons, but I could swear they did on KOTH, too.

I only bring it up because in the rodeo clown episode, Hank mentions that he never exposed Bobby to clowns enough as a child for him to grow afraid of them.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah, I think I'm combining the roadrunner nightmares with the story where homer builds a clown bed.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I mentioned it a few pages ago, but I can't stand the one with Buckley's angel, mostly because of that awful song.

Also, the one where Bobby decides to go to clown class at the local college. I don't know why, but it's painful to listen to that awful teacher.

I do love the episode on now, though, where Nancy stops sleeping with John Redcorn and falls back in love with Dale.

I love it when he mentions her accuracy rating and she sounds shocked, and says "You watch Channel 84 News with Miguel Fernando?"

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

CaptainScraps posted:

Make some chili. Peggy uses Wolf-brand chili but she's Peggy and therefore dumb. This is also in Texas and Texas chili does not like beans because beans suck and make the chili taste terrible.

Get a bowl.

Put Fritos on the bottom of the bowl.

Place chili on top of Fritos.

Place cheese and onions on top of chili.

Frito pie!

I lived in Texas for less than a year, but all the local gas stations that made food would sell it, and they would just cut the side off of a small bag of Fritos, dump the chili and cheese and onions in, and give it to you with a plastic spoon. The bag got a bit hot, but it's so drat good.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It's like corned beef hash and chipped beef; it looks awful, and sounds awful. But then you get high or a little drunk, eat some, and it all makes sense.

No matter how many times I hear it, Mihn's delivery of "Oh yeah, you rock my world!" to Joseph kills me.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I made it all the way to 21 before I heard of it, when I moved to Lubbock for a short while. Never seen it since.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Mr Viper posted:

No. This is not getting overlooked. EVERYONE needs to warch Hank of the Hill. I honest to god don't remember the last time I laughed this hard. Oh my God.

I can't stop watching this. Especially the lady whistling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm only vaguely remembering it, but something about when Hank gets excited about wearing Meredith's uniform, and Meredith mentions to Bobby that his dad is a dandy, too.