Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

DJExile posted:

fstoppers is the worst clickbait site in the photography internet and that is loving saying something

*opens fstoppers website* Oh it can’t be that ba-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Makes me glad that all I got in my time was a wrestler's boot to the lens that killed the AF on a cheap Canon 18-55 EF: https://www.dallasnews.com/photos/2...o6TxLoOIvWcn6vc

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Saw this in my email this morning. Cardboard, view-camera style instant camera using Instax Mini cartridges. They have a (funded) Kickstarter for a brass and fibreboard version too.
The new version seems to be an aperture priority camera with circuitry to automatically manage the shutterspeed, while the cardoard one has only 1/25 or 1/500 selectable speeds. Gimmicky steampunk styling for $130 a pop.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Helen Highwater posted:

Saw this in my email this morning. Cardboard, view-camera style instant camera using Instax Mini cartridges. They have a (funded) Kickstarter for a brass and fibreboard version too.
The new version seems to be an aperture priority camera with circuitry to automatically manage the shutterspeed, while the cardoard one has only 1/25 or 1/500 selectable speeds. Gimmicky steampunk styling for $130 a pop.

Also, check the comments and be comfortable with a lead time that might go to three years plus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone ever considered using their SD cards as a last resort backup? I've sort of started doing this, never formatting my cards until they're full, but have been debating in my head whether this might be a nice way to keep a third copy of my raws. I got my "online storage" in a raid NAS and a "offsite storage" with a cloud backup, so technically I'm covered but SD cards are so cheap these days and are small enough that I could keep a hundred of them in our "important documents" briefcase.

I'd think the storage would be pretty stable too, as flash is nonvolatile.

A class 10 64GB card is only $20, and with a ~20MP camera that's about 2000 raw files. Unless I'm shooting sports that's well over a year of images.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

Anyone ever considered using their SD cards as a last resort backup? I've sort of started doing this, never formatting my cards until they're full, but have been debating in my head whether this might be a nice way to keep a third copy of my raws. I got my "online storage" in a raid NAS and a "offsite storage" with a cloud backup, so technically I'm covered but SD cards are so cheap these days and are small enough that I could keep a hundred of them in our "important documents" briefcase.

I'd think the storage would be pretty stable too, as flash is nonvolatile.

A class 10 64GB card is only $20, and with a ~20MP camera that's about 2000 raw files. Unless I'm shooting sports that's well over a year of images.

Why wouldn't you just do something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extr...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They're about the size of a deck of cards and protect (somewhat) against shock, water and dust.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I've heard people recommend that you never delete photos in camera and instead always do a full format to help prevent the file system from getting corrupted. I'm not sure how true that is, but losing a day of shooting to a bad card or corrupt file system is a really unpleasant surprise and I wouldn't tempt fate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

huhu posted:

Why wouldn't you just do something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extr...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They're about the size of a deck of cards and protect (somewhat) against shock, water and dust.

I do use an SSD, but to this point only as staging between the camera and my PC when in the field to get a second copy of my raws (as I might be days/weeks away from being at home).

You do make a good point though, the GB per dollar is much more favorable than with an SD card and the storage tech is identical. I guess it was necessary to make a fool of myself online before making the right choice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fools Infinite posted:

I've heard people recommend that you never delete photos in camera and instead always do a full format to help prevent the file system from getting corrupted. I'm not sure how true that is, but losing a day of shooting to a bad card or corrupt file system is a really unpleasant surprise and I wouldn't tempt fate.
If you can't afford the loss you shoot on dual slot bodies, that's literally what they're for. If you don't own enough media to manage until you next get to your offload location you're just begging for some bandaid'ed complexity to gently caress you over IMO

After the cards come out of the body they should never been together again until the data's home and validated.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 16, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flickr did an update to their explore page, the level of quality has gone up quite a bit. I wouldn't say it's finding world class images, but all the second life and mass transit photos are gone. They seem to have cleaned up the 'trending tags' feature too, the unrelated stuff that was using popular tags just to get views has disappeared.

It's nice that they're starting to improve their discovery features. It's still very old school compared to how social media works these days (especially as I believe getting into explore is still heavily based on group invite spam) but it's definitely a lot better than it was a month ago.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So in a rather perplexing move, Instagram have announced that their embedding feature doesn't actually come with permission. It makes zero sense as a platform to take this route while still maintain a formal way to embed posts.

Instagram continuing to be the worst most-successful photo sharing platform.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
That's loving stupid. The content is hosted and served from Instagram no matter where it's embedded. If they want to provide protections to photographers who don't want their work used elsewhere, do it like Flickr does and provide a no-sharing toggle either on the account globally or per post.

I never thought I'd ever write 'do it like Flickr does', but here we are. Thanks 2020.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is stupid and contrary to 25 years of how everything on the web is done but for now it helps photographers, because it means if some blog wants to post your picture, they gotta contact you for the terms.

I get the feeling Instagram made this statement because they feel like it protects them from liability. Their TOS does state that by uploading you grant them the privilege to use your photo however they want, but maybe they feel that won't hold up in court or don't want to turn into a stock photo service, so are putting the burden of licensing on the original copyright owner.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vj8zt_tBtk

the only good pokemon game is back mother fuckers :toot:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I hate the new Adobe program icons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Making them all the same color was pretty silly but at least the corners are consistent now?

They also added a website to let you replay people's LR edits and download them as a preset if you happen to like it:

https://lightroom.adobe.com/learn/discover

If you browse it through the app you can save anything in there as a preset. Presets are over valued by a lot of people but it's still a cool feature and it certainly has some educational merit to it for people new to LR.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I ended up temporarily rolling back to old versions just to grab the .exe so I have a copy of some decent icons.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I don't have a problem with the new icons. The icons I really have a problem with are the Affinity icons. I mean, I can tell what the Adobe ones do. I have to remember what the Affinity ones do, because they're not clearly marked any any way. I mean, I see a shutter, pencil and page edges if I squint hard, but it's kind of buried in the geometry a little. Maybe I'm just old.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

$11B and they can't line up their text

https://twitter.com/fagkosta/status/1272983070484955136

The Lightroom Classic at small size also looks the sort of bad icon you'd expect from a one person open source project.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The old icons were iconic (pun not intended). I loved the rainbow.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Making them all the same color was pretty silly but at least the corners are consistent now?

They also added a website to let you replay people's LR edits and download them as a preset if you happen to like it:

https://lightroom.adobe.com/learn/discover

If you browse it through the app you can save anything in there as a preset. Presets are over valued by a lot of people but it's still a cool feature and it certainly has some educational merit to it for people new to LR.

I wish the “playback edits” showed stuff in the order you did it. Or at least didn’t put cropping at the end, since that’s almost always the first thing that I do: https://lightroom.app.link/j2Cb3uP1o7

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Just noticed today that they’ve messed around with lightroom naming again. Looks like lightroom cc/lightroom cloud(?) is now lightroom and lightroom/also lightroom cc at one time is now called lightroom classic (LRC). can’t wait to see what they change it to next month!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It became Classic late 2017.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Well, they've at least gone in whole hog with the icon for now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/HOLLYWOODRUFF/status/1289986124975427592?s=19

strong early candidate for Tweet Of The Month

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Ask your doctor if Portra is right for you.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/photoshop/status/1308058722502152193?s=21

One click sky replacement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From that one video I think the Luminar sky replacement looks better but it wasn't exactly an in-depth review. Photoshop is generating some ugly halos around the foreground objects.

Not that I would ever use the feature anyways, I am a TRVE photographer.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Eventually consumers are going to be using clusters of cameras that take videos as input to model/texture a recreation scene instead of taking a single photo. Then you wouldn't be limited to sky replacement, but simple removal of any object in the scene, full recomposition, lighting changes, combining scenes, importing famous landmarks, pay for selfies with famous celebrities, etc.

But the luminar space shuttle launch feature is still seriously funny.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

f/6.3 and be there

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/12/denver-protest-shooting-photos-full-sequence/

(photographing a shooting at 26mm, too drat close)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So not content with already being the shitest social media platform, Instagram has now put a Shop icon on the taskbar.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
What the poo poo. Flickr forced me to get a Yahoo email and now Yahoo is telling me they're going to close my email account if I don't use it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

huhu posted:

What the poo poo. Flickr forced me to get a Yahoo email and now Yahoo is telling me they're going to close my email account if I don't use it.

I thought Flickr had completely migrated off the old Yahoo infrastructure. Cut a ticket to support and they should be able to move your account to whatever email address you actually use.
( Their tools suck and they can't offer it as self-service, but the support team is friendly and can do it easily if you just ask. )

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I can't remember what triggered it but months ago Flickr told me to update my contact information and I've been using my usual general-purpose Gmail email address to log in ever since. Much easier than remembering my bespoke Yahoo email and password.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, I can't remember what triggered it but months ago Flickr told me to update my contact information and I've been using my usual general-purpose Gmail email address to log in ever since. Much easier than remembering my bespoke Yahoo email and password.

That was part of the acquisition by SmugMug. They gradually rolled out a new login platform to migrate people off their Yahoo IDs.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My office mate is a wildlife biologist. He's back from several years of field work studying the ecology of tigers - and everything below them in the food web (i.e. everything) - in Bhutan, with about 2 million photos from his extensive set of camera traps. I can hear him rapidly scrolling the wheel on his mouse, and if I watch his screen it's like a slow time-lapse, shadows of bushes sliding sloooooowly along this little patch of game trail. He's doing the first pass to pull out images from false-triggers of the motion sensor, things like people, domestic animals, or wind-blown tree branches and whatnot. He's also making note of some of the more interesting "data" images, like those that have an actual wild animal in them.

Back of the envelope estimate for his literally millions of images is something in the range of a couple of months, 9+ hours a day just scrolling and staring.

I feel a lot better about my own little image analysis project, counting "possibly" and "confident" microorganism cells on the tarsal claws of honey bees in scanning electron microscope pics. I had wanted to be a wildlife biologist all the way through university, but my PhD was in soil microbial ecology, partly because I can very reliably find my study subject (stand outside. look down. take samples.). Still, pictures of goddam tigers and snow leopards would be pretty frickin' cool.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Schadenfreude is on me for backing this Kickstarter for what appeared to be a cool light. I got my light and it stopped working and I went to go look for customer support. Turns out the creator hasn't replied in months and a lot of people haven't gotten their rewards. Some people are out like $800. Kickstarter said "deal with it, no refunds".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lumin8/lumin8-l-4-waterproof-app-controlled-led-for-photo-and-video/comments

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

lmao owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

$725k pledged of $5k goal lmao. I wonder if they were completely overwhelmed with orders and didn't have a plan for how to deal with it and quality issues. As a person getting close to starting a Kickstarter for my own photography product I can have some sympathy if that was the case (and given they did ship some stuff it probably wasn't a total scam).