Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I am sure that this is just a single, disturbed model making these false allegations...

quote:

Testino, who took the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s official engagement photos and was given an honorary OBE in 2014, was accused by 13 male assistants and models of subjecting them to sexual advances.

Some said the Peruvian photographer’s behaviour, going back to the mid-1990s, included groping and masturbation, the paper reported.
Ryan Locke, a model who worked with Testino on Gucci campaigns, accused him of being aggressive and flirtatious throughout shoots, adding: “He was a sexual predator.”
Hugo Tillman, a photographic assistant, said Testino once grabbed him on the street and tried to kiss him and, a few weeks later, pinned him down on a bed until he was removed by another person.
Another assistant, Roman Barrett, said Testino masturbated in front of him, and added: “Sexual harassment was a constant reality.”
One anonymous assistant said Testino masturbated on him during a business trip, while another said the photographer groped his backside, the newspaper reported.

...oh.

Well, it is an isolated case and not representative of the industry as a whole...

quote:

The American photographer Weber, 71, was accused by 15 current and former models of subjecting them to unnecessary nudity and coercive sexual behaviour, according to the New York Times.

The model Josh Ardolf said that during a nude shoot his genitals were grabbed by Weber. Another model, Bobby Roache, said Weber tried to put his hands down his trousers during a casting in 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Photography nooblet confession of the day: Took my camera to work yesterday because I thought I might take a stroll at lunchtime and maybe take some pictures. I pulled my camera out of my bag, and the battery was dead. Made sure to charge my battery last night, and I put my camera back in my work bag to try again today. Pulled my camera out this morning and it wouldn't turn on.

The battery's at home in its charger.

:suicide:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
This is why you buy two (or more) batteries and put a fresh one in the camera every time you take the old one out to charge.

E: digging the thread title change...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

Photography nooblet confession of the day: Took my camera to work yesterday because I thought I might take a stroll at lunchtime and maybe take some pictures. I pulled my camera out of my bag, and the battery was dead. Made sure to charge my battery last night, and I put my camera back in my work bag to try again today. Pulled my camera out this morning and it wouldn't turn on.

The battery's at home in its charger.

:suicide:

I was in the High Arctic for my PhD fieldwork and a polar bear showed up. A colleague came into our little shack and said "There's a bear outside". Cue half-panic scramble for boots, guns, ammo, bear-bangers, and lots of yelling.

After we convinced the bear to move a bit further away, I ran back inside to grab my camera and my 500mm supertele. I got back out onto the runway while the bear was changing his mind about leaving, so I took some (quite possibly) great shots as he turned back to look at the noisy lunatics still yelling at him.

After about a dozen such shots, I noticed the little symbol that was popping up on the screen - "huh, never seen that before."
I had just finished transfering pictures onto my computer when the bear was noticed, and I didn't put the memory card back in when I grabbed the camera. :saddowns:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ExecuDork posted:

I was in the High Arctic for my PhD fieldwork and a polar bear showed up. A colleague came into our little shack and said "There's a bear outside". Cue half-panic scramble for boots, guns, ammo, bear-bangers, and lots of yelling.

After we convinced the bear to move a bit further away, I ran back inside to grab my camera and my 500mm supertele. I got back out onto the runway while the bear was changing his mind about leaving, so I took some (quite possibly) great shots as he turned back to look at the noisy lunatics still yelling at him.

After about a dozen such shots, I noticed the little symbol that was popping up on the screen - "huh, never seen that before."
I had just finished transfering pictures onto my computer when the bear was noticed, and I didn't put the memory card back in when I grabbed the camera. :saddowns:

Oh, gently caress...

Thanks for the perspective.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can configure a Canon to not fire the shutter if there is no card installed.

I assume this is true for other brands but I never used 'em.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have my Canon setup like this for precisely that reason.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

You can configure a Canon to not fire the shutter if there is no card installed.

I assume this is true for other brands but I never used 'em.

Fat lot of good that’ll do me! I need to know whether or not the battery’s in before I start shooting!

Some help you are!

:jerkbag:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can also configure a Canon to not power on if there's no battery. It's specific to each model though so you'll have to read through the manual.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Meh. I’m not even going to worry about it at this point. I’ve been doing photography since September, so I think I’m ready for an upgrade anyway:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/17/16902760/hasselblad-h6d-400c-400-megapixel-multi-shot-medium-format-camera

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'm so excited to take 400mp pictures of stray cats in parking lots.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
My black and white pictures of homeless people are going to be on loving fire.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Man that would make my photography really good. No one could ever say poo poo about my pictures then and I’d be famous.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

If I’m gonna pull the trigger on that thing I need to make sure it has a popup flash first. I mean, it’s so high end that is has to have one, but I’ll probably go see if Target has one on display I can handle.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

President Beep posted:

Fat lot of good that’ll do me! I need to know whether or not the battery’s in before I start shooting!

Some help you are!

:jerkbag:
This was more true in the age of film but photography (kinda like firearms) is really an activity that benefits from developing good habits and rituals.

To this day I never put a camera in the bag without power-cycling it to check battery and card capacity status. It’s saved me more times than I care to remember.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

This was more true in the age of film but photography (kinda like firearms) is really an activity that benefits from developing good habits and rituals.

To this day I never put a camera in the bag without power-cycling it to check battery and card capacity status. It’s saved me more times than I care to remember.

Having goofed on the whole battery thing two days in a row, I’m starting to develop similar habits. Luckily it was a cheap lesson (as opposed to someone doing something like leaning a loaded tripod up against a vehicle, only to have it drive off).

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The battery in my Spotmatic is still working strong after two years in the camera, I don't know what all of you are going on about batteries :colbert:.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Battery powered metering? Luxury! When I were a lad we had to calculate the exposure with a stopwatch by staring directly into the sun until our retinas detached. When our eyes looked like fried eggs, we knew how long to open the shutter for.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Thought of the moment. I wonder if it'd be possible to use machine learning algorithms to separate two images out of a double exposure. :thunk:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

akadajet posted:

Thought of the moment. I wonder if it'd be possible to use machine learning algorithms to separate two images out of a double exposure. :thunk:

That would probably heavily depend on the image. Some double exposures have very distinct patterns that would be easy to seperate and some have massive blown out areas.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The computer would have to view so much amateur double exposure tagged pics from the internet it would despair and delete it’s own sys32 pretty early on.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Before it offs itself someone should get this hypothetical computer an account. I bet it could dig up some first class stuff for the Best Photographer thread.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
it's double exposed dicks all the way down

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

8th-snype posted:

it's double exposed dicks all the way down

Mods can we please get a ban on this chucklefuck for doxxing? They just posted a summary of my sex offender rap sheet.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

President Beep posted:

Mods can we please get a ban on this chucklefuck for doxxing? They just posted a summary of my sex offender rap sheet.

dad?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uh, off to buy some smokes! Smell ya later!

:ninja:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

500px gobbled up by a Chinese company:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/visual-china-group-acquires-500px-300604033.html

"After the acquisition, both companies will provide more professional SaaS (Software as a Service) services to visual creatives around the world, including those relating to big data, AI, and trusted timestamping technologies. Both VCG and 500px will continue to develop digital copyright services, including registration, transaction, traceability, protection, and artistic content collection. Furthermore, VCG will leverage its strengths in the imagery industry and professional communities to accelerate the growth of 500px's community, visual content licensing and custom photography services."

"Visual China Group, a public company in China (stock code 000681), is among the top image licensing companies in the world. It is the go-to choice for creative and media professionals in China, and an award-winning leader in copyright protection."

So congrats on 500px becoming a getty images for mega processed photos you only see on calendars I guess.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
China and "digital copyright services". :thunk:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dread Head posted:

China and "digital copyright services". :thunk:
It *could* be legit - one way to really stand out as a company in the market is to be the stellar exception to a general rule. "Actually pay attention to copyright concerns" seems like a fairly low bar given China's reputation.

OK, yeah, probably not. But I'm saying it's possible, even if it's pretty unlikely.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

In the land of the blind, etc.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

8th-snype posted:

That would probably heavily depend on the image. Some double exposures have very distinct patterns that would be easy to seperate and some have massive blown out areas.

There has been some work to remove reflections from images. I imagine the problems would be similar.
http://people.csail.mit.edu/yichangshih/mywebsite/reflection.pdf

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm moving to Bangkok in a couple of weeks. Are any Dorkroomers local-ish to there? Does anyone know where the good places for photo stuff are? Specifically darkroom supplies as well as labs for C41 and E6 developing but. Good leads on cool used gear stores would be cool too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Helen Highwater posted:

I'm moving to Bangkok in a couple of weeks. Are any Dorkroomers local-ish to there? Does anyone know where the good places for photo stuff are? Specifically darkroom supplies as well as labs for C41 and E6 developing but. Good leads on cool used gear stores would be cool too.

https://www.fotofile.co.th/

http://www.avcamera.com/

MBK is a good mall to wonder around and there are a few shops tucked away

EDIT: lot of words, but this guys seems to know his stuff.

EDIT2: enjoy seeing one of these in the flesh:

Quite a sight to behold.
Ironically (and hilariously), the monarch it was made for was famously a Canon shooter.

spog fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 3, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And here I thought perfect landscape vantages were crowded.

https://i.imgur.com/7VZW3hX.gifv

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Wow! He’s gonna be getting a shitload of photo tag notifications!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

Wow! He’s gonna be getting a shitload of photo tag notifications!
Most of them are actually for the 4" booster seat.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I saw the picture taken by bluejacket in the middle this morning in The Economist. I really like their photos, almost every week there's at least one photo that makes me stop and just say "that's a drat good picture". I would never want to do something like that to get a photo, though. Especially for something like "Here's a very famous person" where it seems easier to just pay the independent guy for the shot and spend my (entirely hypothetical) time on more interesting and unusual efforts.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I saw the picture taken by bluejacket in the middle this morning in The Economist. I really like their photos, almost every week there's at least one photo that makes me stop and just say "that's a drat good picture". I would never want to do something like that to get a photo, though. Especially for something like "Here's a very famous person" where it seems easier to just pay the independent guy for the shot and spend my (entirely hypothetical) time on more interesting and unusual efforts.

What gets me is that you're going to end up with like two score of pretty much the same loving picture. In the bigger perspective, is it really worth all that hassle? I suppose this (admittedly half-baked) question applies to photojournalism in general.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It applies to all photo types.

Nothing anyone does is original anymore so if you make that your goal you're in for a lot of disappointment. Shoot what you want to see hanging on your own walls and if you do it long enough maybe someone will buy in to your style and want to see your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I was in Prague a while ago and the Charles Bridge was a sea of tripods at 7am. I can't imagine how people get shots of areas like Antelope Canyon or Lake Wanaka without getting a billion bits of random photo hardware in the frame.