Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

By the time he's older the camera will be worthless, bit of a shame, but it is a nice picture.

torgeaux posted:

I'm not sure much can be done minus a revolutionary change in optics. Until we aren't limited by glass/ceramic optics and the defraction/distortion problems inherent to it, you can only make a 400mm lens so compact and retain any quality. Right now, I'm not sure you can make a 70-200 much smaller than the f/4 of canon, and how important is it that your camera can fit in your pocket if it's stuck on the end of that?

No but you see the camera is tiny and therefore it must be a technological invention that will cast off the shackles of the previous generation!
I like a slightly bulky camera as it gives me something to grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

fenner posted:

Jesus christ... This guy is either very skilled or has a deathwish.

You would think a wireless trigger gaffered to his handlebars would be logical.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Girl in the middle rocking an Amnesiac shirt. Represent! (UV filter though)

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 5, 2010

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
On second thought this was a bad idea.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 11, 2010

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Twenties Superstar posted:

What is it about other people taking photos the way they want that makes you so upset as to use the word "fag" as a pejorative?

Haha nothing, just I see that style over-used and it entertains me that someone has developed a camera specifically to pander to it. I also find it odd that lens vignetting, something that would be considered a fault in most cameras is here used as a selling-point.

Also I can't believe I'm replying to a troll.

VVVVVV
Yes I was reading up on their history page. Very interesting, my point is more the audience the camera panders to and the advertising that's used, less than the camera itself.

I appreciate the "acting like" by the way.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 11, 2010

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
You know, by rewording my post and then DELETING IT, this was more or less exactly what I was hoping to avoid :(

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Twenties Superstar posted:

You might want to read that thread again.

I know that when somebody says "gearfag" or "filmfag" or "whateverfag" they aren't often trying to be marginalising or subjugating to gay people but it is such an ignorant thing to do. Whether you mean it or not using the words "gearfag" or "filmfag" is basically the same thing as saying "that human being who likes/uses gear/film" and that's pretty clearly not ok.

I realise goons don't take admissions of guilt seriously because hey it's much more fun to tear a guy to shreds than pretend he's a human being right? But I feel sincerely guilty for making GBS threads up this thread. I meant no offence, I replied flippantly because, again, goons; we're all sarcastic fucks at each other's throats. By editing my post out I had hoped to avoid a page worth of debate regarding how offensive "human being" is in different contexts.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
11, with problems in the darker blue and partially in the aqua areas.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

forkbucket posted:

Apparently some guy got a collectors edition at the olympics. I've spent the last hour trying to find one, or something similar on the net. Found this, which while not exactly the same, is still awesome as hell.

Heat Changing Coffee Mugs:

I had one of these that had parts of the world that 'sunk' into the ocean when you put hot liquid in it, a Global Warming mug (it was a gift). Don't put them in the dishwasher.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

woot fatigue posted:

I have no idea where the proper place to post this is (or if it's allowed), but I started a SA-Mart thread where you may now purchase prints of my work.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3452903

Please tell me you have a blog where I can learn to produce images with such stunning tone? These are phenomenal.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

woot fatigue posted:

:words:

So basically I should speedball cocaine with mescaline and hope I'm working on some photos when I hit the upswing. Great!

Many of your landscapes I can kind of tell what you've done, though I'd be totally incapable of producing such an image myself. What interests me are the ones where you wouldn't have been able to do multiple exposures easily.

A MAGNIFICENT MILE (2006) by BRAD GILLETTE (bgillettephoto.com), on Flickr
This one looks almost like it was shot on film, I think the only thing giving it away to me is the grain on her jacket looks more like digital noise than film grain to me. I'm wondering what you did to produce such a soft, filmic gamma curve? Maybe I'm too used to the harsh Australian sun that turns everything to stark shadows.

EDIT: I was going to ask for selection efficiency tips too but I get the feeling I just need patience more than anything.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Self portraiture is fun!

Muslin-11 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

I'd recommend trying some self limitations if you want some inspiration, I was bored one day so I did a complete walk around a local lake at Golden Hour, but I only allowed myself my 50mm f1.8. Really helped to be thinking about positioning and so on.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
If that loving thing still does 4:2:0 colour and godawful compression with no 1080 50p I will cry.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I'd be concerned about editing RAWs on a screen I can't calibrate but that's me. Unless the iPad is way ahead of where I think it is.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Mest0r posted:

I literally burst out laughing after clicking on one of his pictures and seeing 32070 seconds as his shutter speed (about 9 hours). :v:

How is that achieved, I would have thought on a digital camera that such a long exposure would cause dead-pixels on the sensor. Let alone the actual logistics, how does one tell the shutter to stay open for 9 hours?

(Sound like a right newbie here but am I right in thinking he'd take an image every X minutes then blend them together?)

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

ExecuDork posted:

Also, XTimmy, where are those pictures from Bali?

Man I gotta tell you while I love my little AE1 I spent most of the trip partially deaf and coked up on painkillers following a group of people who had more interest in booze than culture around. I have nothing but terrible touristy shots and I feel like rear end because of it. I did get them printed though so I'll try and scan the handful I did get that I liked and post them up.

Where'd be best to post 'em you think?

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 10, 2012

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Looks like a telephoto f1.X lens with trees in the background to me, I'm trying to figure out what you think the issue is?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Spedman posted:

In all seriousness in Scotland it was more like sunny 8-11 in the summer, and sunny 5.6 during the 5hrs of "day" time during the winter.

But in my old home town of Perth in Aus it was sunny 22, it's all grey roads, searing white sand and faded looking coccus palms. Here in Melbourne you don't need to be permanently squinting to avoid solar blindness, which is nice.

One thing I'm looking forward to in my move from Perth to Sydney is less beige everything.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I'm now thinking of getting a bunch of my actor mates together and renting a hotel room for a night, but I'm terrified it wouldn't be up to Helmacrons insane vision.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

ExecuDork posted:

Nothing like spending the night in a hotel room with a bunch of 20-somethings who look underage and plenty of icing sugar and oregano

I said actors man, what makes you think they'd settle for icing sugar.

big scary monsters posted:

But he was already worried it wouldn't be up to Helmacron's standards?

Actually while I think it would be a cool shoot, I'm not sure it's that subversive. I think there's already a perception that rich young people are going to do a bunch of drugs. I'd rather see a series where drugs take the place of what people consider traditional, wholesome children's activities in some idealized yesteryear. Suntanned, happy kids shooting up in a treehouse or something. I tried to come up with more examples but actually most drugs are really impractical to combine with outdoor activities.

Warm Norman Rockwell tones and textures of a shot outside a treehouse, inside, lit by the glow of a single lantern a 16 year old shoots up horse off his boy scout knife.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
This loving idea keeps playing in my head over and over and I love it. The subversion is so exact and poignant, not just a photo series, more I see a group of little cinematic vignettes. Robert (16) and William (14), brothers, dressed in the boyish shorts and striped shirts of the 50s, walk down to the lakeside and cast out lines from old wooden rods and reels, laughing and swinging their feet of the jetty as they do, and as the light turns warm and the shadows grow long Robert pulls a little brown paper bag from his pocket, the kind that you don't see anymore but that they used to put candy and sweets in down at that corner store. Inside is *gasp* just a half ounce of weed, William looks at it in excitement, this is a coming of age moment, a rite of passage that bears no semblance to smoke stained, badly furnished rooms or dead distant eyes. This is his first time and he looks up with mild disbelief at Rob, who smiles, remembering when their father first smoked a blunt with him, "we'll share" and the smoke wafts slowly upwards unto the setting sun.

While that same sun peeps through the autumn leaves of the tiny glade that James (15) and Cathy (15) first held hands, they have a picnic all laid out, cheese and ham sandwiches wrapped in grease paper, the white bread fluffy and moist, a hinge-corked bottle of juice sits lazily with a pair of crystal tumblers. Apples, shinier and redder than the shriveled mass farmed ones you buy in supermarkets make a desert for this tableau of naivety. James smiles nervously at her and she returns it, showing a set of braces that remind us that no, these are no adults, he reaches deep into the basket and, finding a small dark-wood box he presents to her a pair of brightly colored pills, with a smile she takes one and delicately swallows.

Shoot it in 2.35 with anamorphic glass to really bring that dreamy feel as the sunlight hits the lens and scatters the colours.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 31, 2013

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Chitin posted:

I agree with this completely. The kicker? I shoot video for a living.

Also, scrubbing video for stills is a terrible idea. Video is shot at 1/60 sec pretty much no matter what, almost anything moving fast enough to be interesting will have more motion blur than people are used to seeing in stills. Not to mention that the notion that reporters can create quality video on an iPhone is just as offensive as the notion that they can shoot quality photos. Perhaps even more laughable, actually, since you introduce terrible sound to the mix as well.

Give it five years we'll be seeing nothing but portrait oriented videos in our news reports as journos try and figure out their iPhone 9s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
While I'm mildly annoyed that people are now using kickstarter to fund vacations the photoset had its moments, I'm not American though, so it might just be the novelty of some of the settings. One or two of the street photos were nice too. Boring is a relative concept I guess.