Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Question: I finally upgraded to Lightroom 3. Is it better to use that as my main photo manager?

I've got about 6,000 images in iPhoto, the majority of them RAW. iPhoto can't seem to handle that many pictures (also my iMac is about five years old at this point). Will Lightroom do a better job? Or should I just continue loading pictures into Lightroom when I want to edit them, but not using it to import and manage all my pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Zack Arias did a really cool piece about not using Lighroom for your library manager at all. Using a third party application to do that, then only importing your "keepers" into Lightroom for editing. I'll be damned if I can find it though. It's the approach I think I want to take. I went through my library and I have so many rejects and uninteresting shots lying around in there that it makes finding stuff difficult, especially if I wasn't really strict with my rating system. Mind you adding another app is another expense.

Lightroom will probably do a better job with your library than iPhoto would have, and if you're not really looking for a two/three software solution then it should be fine.

Yeah I think I'll just be importing the keepers into Lightroom. They make it super easy to pull from the iPhoto files and view the pictures without actually importing them which is awesome.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm using a 2.4 ghz iMac with 1 GB RAM (eesh). Lightroom is slow, but usable.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I went to the pool party on the East River today and the lady asked to see my camera to "see what kind it was" (clearly I had managed to leave the batteries at home). The D40x gets you in to places ;).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The photos in this article (entitled "What is it about 20-somethings anyway?") made me laugh a bit.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DaNzA posted:

A pure breed can worth a lot of money though. Also a cute dog can pull more chicks than a big camera...

:smith:

I've seen bulldog puppies here in the city for $5-6000. Ridiculous.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a good app/solution to viewing contacts on flickr? The more people I add, the fewer of their pictures I actually see.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is pretty cool:

Color photographs from 1939-1943, taken by the Farm Security Administration to document the effects of the depression on small towns and rural populations

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is kind of amusing

Basically, someone on Reddit posts this link to a poorly done HDR. The guy freaks out and sends him this message:

quote:

"Dear Mr. xxxxxx:
Please note that you have published a work I authored (the untitled photograph which you apparently think is "tacky") on reddit.com (http://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/djp8s/i_was_called_a_dick_for_pointing_out_this_is_not/). I have reserved rights to said photograph. Using my work without my permission and attribution is an infringement on my copyright.
Now, as you failed to receive permission to use the Work and did not receive permission to make or distribute copies, [including electronic copies,] you have infringed my rights under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $150,000 as set forth in Section 504(c)(2).
I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of my photograph, and remove it from https://www.reddit.com . Further, you are to desist from reproducing my Photograph or any other infringement of my rights in the future.
Also, please note, I am an attorney and intend to pursue all rights available at law if the photograph is not removed with 7 days. Otherwise, when you return from your little school trip, there will be a federal law suit waiting for you in Florida.
On a side note, maybe you should think before you are intentionally rude to people you don't know. You might think the internet is anonymous, but I certainly have garnered all the information I need to file my suit. Take the photo down"

Of course, he posts the thing to reddit, and now that photo has 70+ negative comments (though it looks like he may be deleting them) and 25k views.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many stupid people you could get with that.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My roommate just spent $145 to buy one of these from lomo: http://microsites.lomography.com/spinner-360/

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rontalvos posted:

I hate myself for thinking this, but that's actually kinda cool.

That was exactly my reaction

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So a full page picture of my grandparents (father's side, both now passed on) was featured in a 1986 National Geographic about the coast of Maine. They're standing in front of their summer hotel on it's 100th anniversary, arm in arm, toasting the anniversary with a large crowd of people in the background doing the same. We have two copies of the issue, and a copy of the picture is hanging at the hotel, but is obviously pretty old.

I'm looking in to buying fresh copies of the picture for my father and aunt for christmas. I just looked at the nat geo form, and they cost $25 for an 8x10 and they all come watermarked with a nat geo logo.

I quote:

quote:

ALL prints come with the “NGS” copyright / logo in the corner of the print. It is understood by you that these
prints are for your personal use only and may not be reproduced or used commercially in any form.

What the gently caress? I want a piece of family history (the copy we have currently is not watermarked), unsullied by your loving tacky watermark. Is that too much to ask?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Twenties Superstar posted:

Do you really expect to be able to pay $25 for an unwatermarked 8x10? Regardless of whether or not you own the rights to that photo probably you're going to want to talk to a person at National Geographic about it and not complain about the form people send in when they want to get a copy of Giraffe Baby and Afghan Girl to hang up in there office.

Good point

Paragon8 posted:

just use content aware fill

Also a possibility

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all, I've got a question about photo paper.

I'm doing a project where I'm using sensors to take data about the viewers movement. That data will be sent to a set of LEDs. The LEDs will turn on and off depending on the data, and then servo motors will move a piece of photo paper around. The end result, hopefully, will be crazy designs/abstract portraits of the users.

My question: what would be the best paper to use? Something like this or straight up photo paper? Or fuji instant? Ideally this will be a quick print so the user can take it away almost immediately.

Any ideas?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ZoCrowes posted:

This is my only friend that does weddings and senior portraits and such on a regular basis.

Is it bad that I immediately recognized whose girlfriend this is from SAD?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So this is pretty f'ing cool:

Lightning Captured by X-Ray Camera - A First

quote:

The first x-ray images of a lightning strike have been captured by a, well, lightning-fast camera, scientists say. The pictures suggest a lightning bolt carries all its x-ray radiation in its tip. (Get lightning facts.)

During recent thunderstorms in Camp Blanding, Florida, the camera's electronic shutter "froze" a lightning bolt—artificially triggered by rockets and wires—as it sped toward the ground at one-sixth the speed of light.

"Something moving this fast would go from the Earth to the moon in less than ten seconds," said Joseph Dwyer, a lightning researcher at the Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne.

Scientists have known for several years that lightning emits radiation, said Dwyer, who revealed the photos at an annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco earlier this month.

But until now scientists didn't have the technology to take x-ray images quickly enough to see where the radiation comes from, he said.

(Read "New Lightning Type Found Over Volcano?")

Lightning Imaged by 1,500-Pound Camera

Making a camera capable of taking such quick images was an achievement in and of itself, Dwyer emphasized.

"You can't just go buy a camera and point it at lightning," he said. "We had to make it."

The resulting 1,500-pound (680-kilogram) camera—created by Dwyer's graduate student Meagan Schaal—consists of an x-ray detector housed in a box about the size and shape of a refrigerator. The box is lined with lead to shield the x-ray detector from stray radiation.

X-rays enter the box through a small hole that in turn focuses them, like an old-fashioned pinhole camera.

Speedy Trade-Off: Less Data Space

Because lightning moves blindingly fast, the camera was required to take ten million images per second. (Interactive: Make your own lightning strike.)

One challenge in taking such fast pictures is storing the data. To do so, the x-ray detector had to take pictures at a relatively low resolution of 30 pixels, which produced images on a crude, hexagonal grid—as shown in the chart below.

A chart shows x-ray observations of a lightning discharge.
Diagram courtesy Joseph Dwyer

Even so, the resolution was sharp enough to reveal a bright ball of x-rays at the head of the bolt, with almost no lingering radiation along the bolt's trail.

"Almost all the x-rays are from the tip," Dwyer said. "We see the x-ray source descending with the lightning at up to one-sixth the speed of light."

Triggered Lightning Effective

The lightning bolts were triggered by launching small rockets into the thunderstorms. (See "Volcanic Lightning Sparked by 'Dirty Thunderstorms,' Study Finds.")

The rockets trailed wires behind them to direct the lightning through the camera's field of view.

Artificially triggering the lightning strike likely didn't alter the natural workings of the thunderstorm, Dwyer noted.

And, he said, "the advantage of triggered lightning is that we can repeat it."

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I remembered a speaker I had in class this semester and thought he might be cool to tell y'all about.

His name is Clifford Ross, and in 2001 (ish) he became obsessed with Mt. Sopris in Colorado. He initially took a single picture of it using a polaroid camera, and then wanted to capture the mountain in more detail.

Mt Sopris:

HERE'S THE MASSIVE ZOOMABLE IMAGE FROM HIS WEBSITE

So he spent a year or so building the most high powered camera ever invented with a guy in buffalo, ny* and ended up with a camera that takes an image so large, that when printed, it spans 5ft by 10ft. We're talking about billions of pixels here. Here's an excerpt from an article on his website about it:

quote:

3. The Big Picture Overview
Clifford Ross uses his patented R1 camera to capture landscape images on Kodak aerial film. This one-of-a-kind camera uses large format (9 in. x 18in.) negatives, which are then scanned at high resolution. Ross and his technical team then manipulate the resulting digital file with Adobe Photoshop running on Apple computers. The process of building adjustment layers can boost the size of the working file to 22 gigabytes. Over the course of six months, the image is painstakingly massaged into final form. Twelve to fourteen full-scale proofs are printed on Kodak Endura chromogenic paper with an Oce Lightjet laser printer. The final result is displayed in a unique framing system of Ross’ design, which allows intimate and satisfying perusal of the finest details in the image. The frame systems include the largest sheets of non-reflective glass ever made, manufactured by Tru-Vue to his specifications, minimizing distracting reflections across the entire image.

Ross’ stated goal is to produce an image firmly grounded in the realistic detail which his camera provides, but consistent with his memory of the scene as he experienced it. This, of course, is a subjective consideration. It differs from a scientific approach by virtue of his willing embrace of subjective interpretation to further his artistic goal. But Summiteers have stressed that the difference between an artist’s interpretive role compared to that of a scientist is one only of intent. Every image of the universe released by NASA and the Hubble Space Telescope Science Institute is an interpreted image. The scientists aim to render, through subjective interpretive means, the singular identity of the multitude of objects depicted in outer space, as well as the sense of wonder that they wish to share with the viewer.

This synergy between artistic and scientific goals of images is a central reason for Big Picture collaboration. Zoltan Levay, Imaging Resource Lead of the Hubble Space Telescope Science Institute at Johns Hopkins University, commented on this topic, stating that the “fundamental use of our [public Hubble] images is to disseminate significant science findings from Hubble, so we certainly don't want to manipulate the images in such a way that would mislead. Yet, we know that an unattractive image that repels viewers is counter-productive. So we struggle to balance these sometimes-contradictory goals.”[2]

Did I mention that he is also crazy? He has used this monumental image to create the representation of the "harmoniums" that he believes in. "Harmoniums" are:

quote:

...according to The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut, the only form of life on the planet Mercury. Harmoniums are paper-thin cave-dwellers that feed on nearly undectable vibrations in the planet, described as "Mercury's song." Harmoniums are kite-sized and kite-shaped, and reproduce asexually by flaking off in a manner not unlike dandruff. They have only the sense of touch, and also rudimentary telepathic powers capable of only two messages: "here I am, here I am, here I am," and "so glad you are, so glad you are, so glad you are."

Harmoniums are a semi-transparent blue, making the yellow walls of Mercury appear aquamarine beneath them. When they die, they shrivel up like dried fruit. They can die from feeding off too much vibration
Boaz, a resident on mercury has a emotional connection with the species, collecting ones that stand out to him ( although they all look the same to Unk) Boaz frequently holds concerts for the creatures, playing music, diluting it through layers of material into the rock. If the harmoniums move too close to the concert they die "in ecstasy"

Here is his eventual representation, all derived from a single small crop of the mountain scene above:

The single mountain section, messed about with, and called "harmonium" on his website:

Note that even that tiny section stretches about 4ft x 3.5ft

(Screengrabbed from his website, sorry Clifford)

To create these images and figure out how to display them, he spent years with pretty much every high end science organization (government, private, schools) one could think of (this is an exaggeration, but not an extreme one). They eventually figured out an entire room display system, so that the user would be completely surrounded by the image in a large space.

How did he managed to spend almost 10 years mucking about building a ridiculously high powered camera and figuring out how to show it? He owns the rights to this little guy:

That's right, everyone's favorite childhood elephant who wasn't Dumbo: Babar (despite fairly pointed questioning from my classmates about the business side of this (after his talk to us), he refused to divulge this information).

Let's review: one of the highest resolution photographic cameras ever created, used to create the physical representation of alien blocks of color that live on Mercury from the Vonnegut novel "Sirens of Titan", all by the guy who owns a childhood memory to millions of adults worldwide.

*this may be untrue, he definitely built it in some guys garage, but I don't remember where the guy was exactly

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 12, 2011

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TheLastManStanding posted:

"patented R1 camera" "unique framing system" "synergy" "aggressively exploit leading edge commodity technology (Photoshop)" "Sistine Ceiling" :jerkbag:

The pano is nice. I love giant images and doing high res panoramas is what got me into photography in the first place, but holy gently caress is that guy full of himself. It's a high res scan of large format film. 9"x18" is big by today's standards, but it's no 20"x24". On the subject of gigapixel images though, http://www.autopano.net/en/ has a good amount of zoom-able panoramas to look through.

Oh dude is definitely full of himself, and wasted this really awesome tool on creating something that looks more like rgb pixels than anything else. The majority of the class thought the guy was a joke...a really interesting, inspiring joke.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

You guys are still setting dials? I don't even put batteries in anymore.

You still use a body?! Hah! I just whip out a piece of film super quick and then put it away. Perfect exposure every time :smug:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to remember a photog I really liked. It's a chinese guy who dresses up in a mao costume and photographs himself in front of major world monuments. Ring a bell with anyone?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Never heard of him, but now I am definitely interested!

Here we go: Tseng Kwong Chi

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ZoCrowes posted:

Say what you will about most totalitarian regimes they usually have style when it comes to the cut of their jackets.

A relative in China brought my family back a huge red army overcoat lined with wool. It's like walking around in a massive wool blanket, it's amazing.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got any advice on portfolio sites?

I'm far from a professional photographer, but I would like to show off the pictures I take as part of the "whole package". I'm a grad student at a new media/art/design school, and I need to be able to show some kind of portfolio if I'm going to attempt to get an internship this summer.

I've started using cargocollective just for ease of use. Anyone have any other advice? (I'm staying away from indexhibit for the time being).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a good way to go through their flickr contacts photos? I generally friend everyone who posts in the dorkroom, as well as photographers I find online, but there doesnt seem to be a good way to visualize the pictures. I've downloaded a couple apps, but for some reason I dont want to open another application besides my browser to look at Flickr photos. Anyone have any advice on this?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

It should also incorporate lolcats and/or bannable catchphrases as a caption and break tables.

That sounds like a dorkroom photo contest waiting to happen.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paragon8 posted:

Which is a great idea for broke creatives who missed out on getting it with a student discount

Or who are too ethical/stupid to pirate it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PREYING MANTITS posted:

It's being reported that photojournalists Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros were killed in Libya today.

Hetherington was co-director of "Restrepo" and Hondros was a Robert Capa Gold Medal recipient for his coverage of the conflict in Iraq. Apparently other PJs were injured in the same attack but their names haven't been released yet. Sad news.

Times just picked it up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/world/africa/21photographers.html?hp

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Sorry, guys; your x100s just aren't hip enough :o:

Prototype looks stupid too. iPhone should go the other way.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Helmacron posted:

I accidentally took a photo of my dick on 120 film once. And I sat down, and I thought about it, and I thought about all the long exposures that were on that film, hours and hours of exposures. All the time I spent, all the effort, the slinking in the background, trying to read my book with a head torch on inside my jumper. Trying to dance around and warm myself up and not shake the camera.

Then I took the roll out, exposed and then burned it.

You can't do that on digital.

I'm still wondering how one "accidentally" takes a picture of ones dick. Did you mistake it for something else?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dunkman posted:

Cross posting from Camera Gear Thread

Meet Terry Richardson, The World’s Most F—ked Up Fashion Photographer
http://jezebel.com/5494634/meet-terry-richardson-the-worlds-most-fked-up-fashion-photographer

I'd be surprised if most people in this forum did not know who Terry Richardson was. I knew he was a creep, but dang, that's even creepier than I had given him credit for (and the articles a year old to boot).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

brad industry posted:

I don't really buy it, there are a million photographers out there and no one is forced to do anything. There are a lot of articles out there about how awful these models get treated but I have never seen any of that in the real world.

When I was starting out as a photo assistant in NYC I turned down jobs from a famous photographer everyone here's heard of after seeing how abusive and inappropriate he was to his crew. This guy is legendary for his on-set behavior (there was an article about it in the NYT referring to the year in particular that I worked for him just a few weeks ago!). I knew what I was getting into, but did it anyway because I wanted his name on my client list. Two jobs was enough for me and I said no the next time they tried to book me and that was it. My career has been fine.

I don't really buy that you can have any idea what kind of pressure the model is under. To assume that you can, and dismiss the (very real) feelings of intimidation an 18 year old model might feel in the presence of Terry Richardson and his 20 assistants very early on in her career is absurd.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else weirded out by someone posting a picture you took to their flickr account? Even with attribution it weirds me out.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about renting this Canon 24mm 1.4 for a week.

Anyone use the lens/can tell me whether borrowlenses is a good service?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh god I just asked for advice in a no advice thread. Will repost elsewhere, sorry, carry on.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Yep, I've used them and they're fine.

You know it's a good place because a goon works there!

(this is not advice, it's an answer to a question!)

Word, thanks. They're like $10 cheaper than Adorama, which is quite a feat, considering they have to mail the drat thing, and I could go pick up from Adorama in-store.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also,

Magnum advice for young photographers

quote:

Alex Webb
Photograph because you love doing it, because you absolutely have to do it, because the chief reward is going to be the process of doing it. Other rewards – recognition, financial remuneration – come to so few and are so fleeting. And even if you are somewhat successful, there will almost inevitably be stretches of time when you will be ignored, have little income, or often both. Certainly there are many other easier ways to make a living in this society. Take photography on as a passion, not a career.
Alex Webb took the above picture. See more of his work.

Alec Soth
Try everything. Photojournalism, fashion, portraiture, nudes, whatever. You won’t know what kind of photographer you are until you try it. During one summer vacation (in college) I worked for a born-again tabletop photographer. All day long we’d photograph socks and listen to Christian radio. That summer I learned I was neither a studio photographer nor a born-again Christian. Another year I worked for a small suburban newspaper chain and was surprised to learn that I enjoyed assignment photography. Fun is important. You should like the process and the subject. If you are bored or unhappy with your subject it will show up in the pictures. If in your heart of hearts you want to take pictures of kitties, take pictures of kitties.
Have a look at Alec Soth’s work.

Alex Majoli
I would advise to read a lot of literature and look as little as possible [at] other photographers. Work everyday even without assignments or money, work, work, work with discipline for yourself and not for editors or awards. And also collaborate with people – not necessary photographers, but people you admire. The key word to learn is participation!
Have a look at Alex Majoli’s work.

Carl De Keyzer
Give it all you got for at least five years and then decide if you got what it takes. Too many great talents give up at the very beginning; the great black hole looming after the comfortable academy or university years is the number one killer of future talent.
Have a look at Carl De Keyzer’s work.

Christopher Anderson
Forget about the profession of being a photographer. First be a photographer and maybe the profession will come after. Don’t be in a rush to pay your rent with your camera. Jimi Hendrix didn’t decide on the career of professional musician before he learned to play guitar. No, he loved music and created something beautiful and that THEN became a profession. Larry Towell, for instance, was not a “professional” photographer until he was already a “famous” photographer. Make the pictures you feel compelled to make and perhaps that will lead to a career. But if you try to make the career first, you will just make lovely pictures that you don’t care about.
Have a look at Christopher Anderson’s work.

Chris Steele-Perkins
Never think photography is easy. It’s like poetry in that it’s easy enough to make a few rhymes, but that’s not a good poem.
Study photography, see what people have achieved, but learn from it – don’t try photographically to be one of those people.
Photograph things you really care about, things that really interest you, not things you feel you ought to do.
Photograph them in the way you feel is right, not they way you think you ought to.
Be open to criticism – it can be really helpful – but stick to your core values
Study and theory is useful, but you learn most by doing. Take photographs – lots of them – be depressed by them, take more, hone your skills and get out there in the world and interact.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

It is a bad thing. They're valuing their work and not valuing the work of the photographer. Not to mention, assuming some new photographer jumps on this, and does a good job, you've set the bar for the "price" for this photography. Why pay someone to do it, when there will always be someone willing to take a stab at it for "experience."

A lot of people don't have money to throw at concert tickets, so all they are asking is for someone to work for free.

I don't see a problem with this sort of job. I got into photography a couple years ago, and I generally now know how to meter things. I'd like to earn some money from photography at some point, if I ever felt I had a good handle on my skills in order to deliver a product that is satisfactory.

In order to do so, I need to shoot, a lot. I also need to put myself in situations where I can practice shooting for someone and delivering a specific product. Without any sort of portfolio, I would be unable to find a paying job, and indeed would not be confident in doing so. These sorts of jobs would enable someone like me to enter the market and begin to build value as a photographer, so I could then charge more, while also increasing my sense of confidence in my ability to deliver good photographs.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Then shoot bands you like to practice. Don't take a "job" from someone who is just trying to finagle free work out of you.

Can you imagine this same scenario making sense in any other hobby/profession?

Internships/apprenticeships are exactly this for the real world.

eg: "Do free work, prove self, get better jobs"

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I've been mulling this over for a while, and forgive me (slash just ignore me) if this is a stupid idea:

How much of photography is subject specific?

By that I mean, there are some really good pictures out there that are totally lovely in a formal sense, but capture an interesting moment. In other words, an interesting subject can make for really good photography. Like, the whole hipster photography scene. There are so many photographers who just take pictures of their friends being skinny and tattooed and dirty and doing lines of coke and gallivanting around in the dark. These aren't necessarily good pictures, they just illustrate a fashionable moment, so are they good photographers? If you put them in another scenario, would they make a nice picture, or is it just that fashion and the life style that makes them a "good photographer"?

I suppose a lot of this is just personal rumination on what it means to be a photographer, and on my own personal skills, but it seems like it is easy to get attention and skill mixed up. I took some pictures of the OWS movement a few weeks ago, posted them a couple places, and got 10,000 views in a single day. That made me feel like a good photographer, but it was just curiosity by people wanting to see what was going on.

But then again, finding and illustrating moments is what photography is about. In that sense, is it true that there are no formal aspects to "good photography"? Is it just that the guy running around the riots is luckier than the guy in Bumfuck, Ohio who is in his backyard taking pictures of his dogs?

So, how much of photography is subject specific?

I suppose the answer is that it doesn't even matter. Like everything else, do work that impresses yourself, and seek out things that interest you.