Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

CCD only? Plus one point for CMOS :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I think i clipped that out and stuck it on someones fridge when i saw it haha

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Have you guys seen those Trauma ads? I saw all three next to each other for the first time today, Great concept and well done once you stop wondering if that's that guy from sliders

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

How do you guys feel about cinematography? I think I could make some real bank being a director of photography :cheers:

And now I can't watch lovely movies because the framing is atrocious and I get get over how someone get paid buttloads of money for that poo poo.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I was doing that bu I hosed up when I failed to get shiny pennies from the bank....

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

dear mac owners, your monitors are too bright. please calibrate or lower your brightness.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

i saw a guy with one of those things on the subway, it actually looked kind of handy, but it also made him look like a tool

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

What are the ethics behind letting your ex-girlfriend use one of your photos for free in the magazine she works for? :(

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Haggins posted:

Unless you still get ex-sex then don't do it.
I probably could, but I'm sorta kinda involved with someone at the moment, so it would be wrong. She also lives in another country :psyduck:

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Does the magazine make a profit?
Yeah.

is this how confession booths are like?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Nah at this point I'd be sliding the little glory hole cover open ;-*

I tend to be okay with giving stuff away to non-profits/school reports/etc, but if they're making money off the image I think the photographer deserves a cut.

Verman posted:

I agree, if the magazine is making a profit off of their publication, then you should be entitled to some sort of compensation for your photo.

brad industry posted:

Even if they're not making a profit, you are still entitled to some kind of compensation.

brad industry posted:

It'll be good exposure.

We'll have lots of paying assignments in the future if this works out.

You'll get a great tearsheet.

:(
She's my exgirlfriend out of circumstance and I love her very much so when it comes to her I don't care about your ethics so there :colbert:

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

This guy is seriously always outside of B&H, it's crazy

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I went to William Eggleston's new show, got his autograph, and then ripped in in half when I got in to the first fight with the girl I'm in love with :sweatdrop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Just remember, you were wrong and apologize...all will be well. And frame that picture just the way you have it displayed here, torn in half and canted apart.
never

RangerScum posted:

Agreed, I like your photo of the picure torn in two more than I like the original.
I think it's awesomer now

Hot Cops posted:

Yeah I mean people do wierd things but I would be extremely embarrassed to post about this
I think it was pretty hilarious of me. I think she's going to write a letter to him explaining this awesome story.

brad industry posted:

When I get angry I kick a wall or throw something not rip my art in half, what the hell is wrong with you? Especially an Eggleston, drat son.
It's not an original! it's just a high quality postcard, maaaaan

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

brad industry posted:

I spent this week moving into my friend and I's new live/work studio in an old cookie factory. I'm soooooooooooo fuckin pumped to have a massive amount of space to shoot photos in :woop:

downstairs work cave

upstairs hang out area, darkroom gonna be built soon behind where I was standing when I took this

I am going to be productive as gently caress this year.
I am so jealous.

Those photos are brilliant due to dog placement hahaha

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Well the fluorescent light stuff is interesting. My no-touch voltage detector goes crazy around fluorescent lights, yet something with 240+volts has to be pretty close.

I always thought it had something to do with photons.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

For some reason I have been seeing a lot of the hold a postcard/picture in front of the actual scene thing recently.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone know where I can buy some cheap, single color, christmas lights in NYC?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

dear darkroom, it's impossible not to have any sensor dust at f/22 no matter how mangy GODDAMN CHEMICALS I PUT ON MY SENSOR, sure, you're almost perfect, BUT I SEE THOSE TINY TINY SPOTS AT f/22... after i auto level in photoshop... i guess it's way better than before...

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Oh god I hope professor clone tool can go suck a dick forever.

I got pretty good at it, now there are some minor minor spots that i'll never see in any photo not of a solar eclipse (and even then, maybe not!), I think it's mostly because even though the swabs are supposed to be full frame sized, they are actually a little smaller, so stuff sometimes just get's pushed to the side.

Toxic hemicals are cool because they mostly turn into toxic vapor and don't leave anything on your sensor!

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

notlodar posted:

Oh god I hope professor clone tool can go suck a dick forever.

I got pretty good at it, now there are some minor minor spots that i'll never see in any photo not of a solar eclipse (and even then, maybe not!), I think it's mostly because even though the swabs are supposed to be full frame sized, they are actually a little smaller, so stuff sometimes just get's pushed to the side.

Toxic hemicals are cool because they mostly turn into toxic vapor and don't leave anything on your sensor!
professor clone tool just hosed me in the rear end because i just digitized some negatives after doing a piss poor job of removing the enormous amounts of dust on them :(

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

in new york, i don't think you can rent a closet for storage for $86 a month :mad:

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I am far too lazy to take this again but I am fairly certain I got a near perfect (but i think perfect) score when I took this two years ago. On a CRT monitor :smug:

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

crazy flashes than stable brown poop

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Joe Brown is pretty woah. And a patriot with his ASA talk

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Proof that the Dorkroom is the last place on the internet for sane photographers is the fact that we all seem to like to see lovely photographers get schooled.

notlodar fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 3, 2010

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently Lightroom 3 Beta 2 has a fully functional point curve :hellyeah:

ok here's a link
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

PushingKingston posted:

Also, noise reduction has been unlocked, thank god!
I noticed that if you imported the photos to Lightroom 2 with XML files and then imported them to Lightroom 3 afterwards, it was unlocked... But hooray for not having to do that!

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

JaundiceDave posted:

Did you shoot with nikon brand film?
At least in the old days that I can barely remember, you got to choose what film you used. While it wasn't manufactured by the same company, you had a choice, and your choice of film, and how you processed it, and how you printed it, made the photo more about you and less about the camera. (not that it's about the camera now, but its MORE about the camera)

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

The disney logo animation has a shooting star rainbow thing* that goes up and around, the shuttle makes half of it!

*i think it's tinkerbell

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

Turning on the back focus button on an EOS DSLR pretty much eliminates any possibility of a non-photographer using it with any effectiveness.
my ladyfriend and my ex both can use the back focus button effectively :colbert:

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Four Banger posted:

This song plays on repeat when I do any post work on my HDR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVUHWCynig
oh i get it

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

"finally a forum to post your lovely HDR photos"

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

girlfriend to me:

quote:

is that a bracelet? what is that? is that a thumb? what the hell is that??

is that down someone's pants?

wha-...

EEEEWWWWW

to be fair, she was pretty far away from the screen

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

oh, and for the record, i hate richardson.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Reichstag posted:

I'm just laughing about the fact that they included Ryan McGinley between Eggleston and Winograd.

mcginley :argh:

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

seravid posted:

I don't see what's the problem here?

You guys do understand that while it's possible to make a brilliant portrait with a 50/1.8 mounted on an entry level camera, some shots of small, easily frightened birds that only appear at dawn aren't possible with anything less than a 400/2.8 + TC and a 'clean high ISO' camera?

I don't even take pictures of birds, but if there's one thing I dislike more than stupid brand wars, it's "my prefered type of photography is the only REAL PHOTOGRAPHY, what you photograph is below my noble art" elitism.
He's saying that the scope of their photography is very limited -or specialized, depending on how you look at it.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

seravid posted:

Ok, but I still don't see the issue... Why is specializing bad? If shooting birds is what they really like to do, why should they photograph museums or dog surf instead of perfecting their art? While I mostly shoot macro, I also enjoy portrait and landscape so I get the appeal of diversifying, but I also understand how someone can like only one facet of photography... and that doesn't make them worse photographers for it. Pros certainly do it, you don't often see a fashion photographer doing wildlife stuff.

Anyway, I didn't mean to make a big deal out of this, I'm just confused by what was said, though it's possible I might have misinterpreted (english not being my native language).

:hfive:
It's just weird

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

It's in camera HDR, not tone mapping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

orange lime posted:

I wonder how they're planning to keep an acceptable level of contrast. It's great if you can individually adjust each pixel to exactly the correct exposure, but then you will end up with something that is entirely gray.

And you can't just save it as an HDR file and call it a day, either, because eventually your output medium isn't going to be able to handle all the data, and you will have to :supaburn: TONE MAP :supaburn:

Anything that increases the dynamic range of a given pixel is great, but I'm seriously questioning if this is the right method.
I can see it easily working. And so what if you have a flat image with high dynamic range? That's what curves are for.

This is pretty much what happens when i digitize negatives...