Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pentax in space, bitches!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arena5/sets/72157606119049987/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TsarAleksi posted:

They sent up the one they would miss the least if something went wrong.

:iceburn:

Your space-envy is palpable :smugdog:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hate when I'm downtown Toronto and I forget there's a Jays game or something going on. Pretty much everyone's wearing the same thing and they all look boring then :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Adobe's adobe abode.

ADOOBE DOOBEE DOO

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress my life. I was shooting some test shots with my K10 a few days ago and set it to 6MP JPEG and forgot to change it back to DNG RAW. Today I shot freshman day for fun because they're always doing stupid poo poo and I didn't realize that I was shooting JPEG.

They came out OK for the most part, but all my beautiful high ISO noise looks like retarded JPEG compression now :(

CHECK YOUR SETTINGS BOYS AND GIRLS. CHECK AND DOUBLECHECK AND CHECK AGAIN :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are you relieved?

AND patient?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As far as cameras in space go, all I can imagine is the mirror slapping open and sending a camera twirling in zero-g. I'm sure that violates some law of thermodynamics but I can't help but laugh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

goddamnit why is it that every day I feel like going out and shooting it decides intermittently rain

gently caress houston

I can't wait until this winter when every day I feel like going out and taking some shots in the snow, and I have to come to grips with the fact that I just don't want to stand around in sub-zero temperatures trying to adjust my camera with mittens on or fumbling around with the controls with finders that have lost all feeling.

Winter, I love you baby but why you gotta make me hate you?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also, California is full of interesting people and things.

Edit: From reports I've heard, I mean.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"My camera's been to space" is the new "buttery bokeys" :smugdog:

Edit: I love cameras in space so I see nothing wrong with that, btw.

Edit2: Oh poo poo, I completely missed the part that this WHOLE EXPERIMENT was done for under $150. That's loving awesome, doggs.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 17, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Something about camera sensors? Sounds like it'll soon be time to revert back to film :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Sounds like some rich guy just wanted to scream, "Lasers... LAZERS! muahahhaha". they really should've designed something like the Image Fulgurator http://www.juliusvonbismarck.com/fulgurator/idee.html to ruin paparazzi shots.

This is a pretty cool concept, but then I watched the video where they test it out at Checkpoint Charlie and I realized I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a tourist there for a day and someone fagged up my photos with some kind of message bullshit. I mean, that's assuming they didn't tell all the people that they saw shooting what they did. Like that one couple they talked to seemed pretty surprised so I'm willing to bet there were more <:mad:>

Just my two cents.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did some reading about the digital back used in that "digital holga" someone posted in one of the other threads. It was pretty awesome, with one thing that stood out in particular: It gives you an audible beep to tell you whether your histogram is overexposed, underexposed, or generally on the money. It'll give you a high or low pitch beep if it thinks you need to correct exposure.

I think that was an awesome idea, and I'm a little disappointed that nobody (that I know) has implemented it yet. Seems like it would be much easier to just listen without taking your eye from the VF instead of chimping the histogram after every other shot or something.

If you have EV compensation at your fingertips, you could theoretically fix the problem without even moving your eye.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sadi posted:

How is this different than the EV meter at the bottom of a view finder?

Because it makes noise, obviously :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder if she knows how to use it, or if she's just shooting in Auto :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Twenties Superstar posted:

Haha what?

Haha what what? Boy don't I feel dumb.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 27, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

my focus screen cutting

let me show you it :clint:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

While we're on the subject of magazines, Google just published copies of LIFE magazine from the 1930s through 1970 (I think) in their entirety, ads intact.

Here's a Photography issue from 1966. Bonus points for old ads :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Four Banger posted:

or this guy.
http://tinyurl.com/y8z8huu
gently caress. THIS. GUY.

Are you kidding me, if I could get 1111 suckers to pay me five bucks apiece for a headshot I wouldn't even need to think twice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

psylent posted:

It's a shame the Nazis didn't have kodachrome:
http://saturnic.livejournal.com/174828.html

Tremendous faggots aside, some of these photos would have been marvellous in kodachrome. How disappointing. Look at the photo technology the Allies could have shared, Hilter, if you weren't such a douche. Just look <:mad:>

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Private Label posted:

So when someone comes to me with that question, I try and focus on the positives. v:shobon:v

"Well, at least you have your health" :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Knux posted:

This is what was created. You guys should also get a kick out of the subject matter of the actual sleeve.

No loving way, that is too awesome.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I laughed at that article a little harder than I should have.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey, you just ragged on my entire workflow <:mad:>

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy mother of gently caress.

That lens curves space and takes photos of things five minutes into the future.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

brad industry posted:

They did those hosed up/awesome Hello Kitty Lada Gaga photos that have been floating around

Oh jesus loving christ

I can't appreciate this on any level :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not sure I can really tell the difference either. The subject matter doesn't really help though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On first inspection it kind of looked cool, but the closer I look the more gaudy it is. Neat idea though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pentax diss :suicide:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just saw this on NPR. I, also, would love to turn a truck into a camera obscura.

Edit: http://cameratruck.net

Edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC3Tu9JxI3g

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 25, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whoah, I've been totally neglecting my creative chattin' :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

proper dog placement is a fundamental component of photography.

Take your thinly veiled pet photos back to the Snapshot thread, you soccer moms <:mad:>

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

This is so well done, it never fails to crack me up:
http://blackandwtf.tumblr.com/

This is amazing, thanks for sharing!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Want to upgrade to an AF Mamiya 645, but I'm trying to tell myself I should hold out for an AFD-2 or AFD-3 body so I can use a proper digital back on it.

Then I realize I'll never in a million years be able to justify a digital back and I get all depressed :(

On the upside, 645AF and AFD bodies are getting cheaper every day, so hey -- at least I can shoot 120 at 3200 with AF :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't really have a problem with that particular photo. It helps focus the eye on Obama in an otherwise cluttered room. Not that it would be a Where's Waldo photo otherwise, but I don't really mind the TS in this case.

Though the angle it was shot at does make the TS look a little off. Maybe if they put the photographers dead centre, it would look a little better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone want to ID the Nikon body and lens they keep in the net at NHL games? Was watching hockey and this brought out the camera nerd in me :3:

Now I wish I was watching the HD feed instead :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm trying to ID the little silver button on the left side of the body in the photo, above the sync port. That's what was throwing me off since I don't see that on any of the bodies :monocle:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know honestly what made me switch from Aperture to Lightroom?

The fact that Aperture kept its' photos in that giant fuckall vault file that I couldn't just go into like a normal folder. That aggrivated me to no end for backup purposes. Plus I couldn't just go into a single folder in Finder and copy a photo, I had to export it from Lightroom bla bla bla.

I guess it all made sense, it just seemed really clunky to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Haggins posted:

There is an option to make it so Aperture doesn't manage your files.

Really? ... oh now I'm considering giving it a second look :ohdear:

DaNzA posted:

Serving breakfast on your camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXtvTFLCa4

This would have been a little funnier if I hadn't just read an article on people starving in africa :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spf3million posted:

New aerial photos of 9/11 released. Some of these are just unbelievable. I can't even imagine what was going through the photographer's mind.

I'd be the guy who forgot to check his camera and took all the photos handheld from a helicopter at 1/20...