Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Interrupting Moss posted:

I'm color blind.

I looked at the test and just froze. I'm not even going to try.

I don't want to empty quote, but I am Red/Green color blind and I did literally the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Someone pointed this out on my local craigslist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 8, 2010

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

DaJe posted:

That's another issue I've had before, aside from the whole "having more megapixels" thing. Having people ask me what x zoom my camera is, and telling me what there's is, and trying to compare them. I had one guy who was trying to show off his camera to me, saying it had a 16x zoom, and then he was like "watch this", as he zoomed in all the way, and then used his digital zoom to go in even more. "Your camera can't do that." He was an alright guy though. It's just another buzzword term thrown around that most people don't understand.

Just start throwing around some numbers that probably mean nothing to him, but make DSLR's look far superior. "What ISO does your camera go up to? 1600? Psh, this thing will do 6400. My camera can record raw files with 14 bit depth? I bet yours only does 8bit JPEGs. How many frames per second can you take?"

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

This popped up on my local Craigslist. If your $200 filter gets wet, I recommend a different tactic then he took.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

McMadCow posted:

I think we'll steer this away from who's touching whom, and onto a little Flickr shenanigans.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrerabelo/70458366

A guy posts a classic Cartier-Bresson shot in a critique forum, and the overwhelming response is to trash it because it's not sharp.

That's a brilliant troll. I went through BBC's Genius Of Photography series a few months back and it's really amazing to see how sharp even a kit lens on a digital rebel looks in comparison to most of the first decade of film photography. Doesn't make the good stuff any less awesome though, especially when you consider the difficulty involved.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

torgeaux posted:

The light path of the 35mm f/1.4 is larger because the lens is larger. The focal length is first converted to the relatively-easy-to-understand 35mm format, e.g. the lens is 8mm, but has the same field of view as a 24mm wide angle lens on the 35mm format, so it's simply called "24mm".

Honestly, the world needs to start describing lenses by the their field of view in degrees. There, I said it.

Oh, and lenses should be rated in T-stops.

:colbert:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/06/canon-wonder-camera-concept-promises-single-lens-perfection-vid/

Rockwell's going to poo poo his pants when this comes out

Honestly, how much different is this a superzoom like the SX20? I know it's all for show, but I'd be way more impressed with a medium format sensor and F/1.4 zoom lenses.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The last roll of Kodachrome ever produced has been processed.

:(

Note this is the last one Kodak made, but you still have until December to process Kodachrome.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

Well so much for the legitamacy of the Ansel Adams negatives found at a garage sale:

http://blog.taragana.com/science/2010/07/27/lawyer-negatives-verified-as-ansel-adams-lost-work-but-photographers-heirs-skeptical-19425/

I'm looking forward to the upcoming documentary "Who the $#%@ is Ansel Adams." The arguments against the authenticity ring pretty hollow to me. They make it sound like other person in California great depression was hauling a large format camera and some glass negative up to Yosemite every weekend.

Linked Article posted:

Turnage called that figure ridiculous because the value of Adams’ work is in his darkroom handcrafting of the prints, and said the negatives are next to worthless.

"Pfffft. Negatives? All you have are negatives? Worthless I tell you. But I'm a nice guy so I'll go ahead and throw them away for you so you can go drown your sorrows."

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Why the gently caress does the crop tool in Photoshop suck so bad when Lightroom's is absolutely awesome?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Bojanglesworth posted:

How can one crop too be far superior than another? I use both programs and I don't notice that one sucks incredibly bad...

• Crop to a defined ratio (very useful if cropping for printing purposes).
  • Rotates the photo so that you're always seeing a level view (I find leveling horizons is much easier in Lightroom for this reason).
  • Doesn't let you drag outside of the "canvas" thereby creating a crop with blank space in it.

fake edit: Ok, it apparently does do the first thing, it's just not very obvious.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Does anyone have recomendations for good documentaries on photography?

BBC has a six part documentary that's not bad. I found it online somewhere, but I'm not sure if Netflix, etc. has it. It's a pretty broad overview of the history of photography.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER's Link posted:

Yup, it’s official: the new iPod touch got a rear camera, but it’s not an iPhone 4-quality 5-megapixel shooter, an iPhone 3GS-quality 3-megapixel version, or even an iPhone-quality 2-megapixel version. Instead, it’s just shy of 0.7 megapixels, with 960x720 still resolution, outputting 720p videos at 1280x720. So don’t expect to toss out your point-and-shoot pocket camera—or an iPhone 4—for the iPod touch. This camera’s just for the kiddies.

:pwn: The video resolution is higher than the still resolution?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I decided to take advantage of the fact that nothing is ready for me where I'm working this week and took a photo walk around the business park I'm at in Houston. Unfortunately, I was unaware that the building next door was Haliburton. Needless to say the Houston PD now has my contact information. :(

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

squidflakes posted:

The H-hole office near the airport or the one in Midtown?

Neither, I think. Unmarked high rise near the Sam Houston Tollway.

I mostly wanted to point out that if I was a terrorist looking for a soft target I would be be shooting from a moving car or from a couple hundred yards away with a 600mm lens, but I thought that might not go well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Wow, I guess I'll stop lumping Fuji into the "who the gently caress buys that poo poo" category. I wonder what pricing will be.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Reichstag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4_ogz10kH8
The Silver Footprint, Documentary about master silver printer Robin Bell.
Full version here (still rough audio, not final): http://vimeo.com/13659991

That looks awesome. Please post a link to the full version when it's complete (or the rough audio version goes public).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

At least its not UV, right? Really hope its the FD version otherwise I'm pissed he's not two hours closer.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Same here. You should post what you come up with.

I've tried it on a few office buildings I've traveled to and been pretty happy with the results. I certainly haven't gotten into the detail that Woot Fatigue does, but I've loved the results and actually learned a lot about Photoshop in the process.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Well, to be fair these are sales sites and the only reason I'm out there is because they've recently updated the buildings. Believe me, the company in question has its fair share of rundown offices.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Sometimes you just need to suck it up and look like an rear end in a top hat, though. A consultant in my office went to my BOSS to get me to take headshots of him for a magazine in which his article and bio was being published. They of course wanted me to do it for free. I said absolutely not and they had someone else do it.

I really don't care if that makes me look like an rear end in a top hat in their eyes. That was for publication and it was advertising for the company. They look like assholes for expecting me to do that for free.

You should've offered to do it for free if you got to put your creative touch on it and then done some nice MF shots of him standing in a field with his shirt off.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I was looking forward to photographing Detroit when I was there a few months ago. I had recently seen a BBC documentary called "Requiem for Detroit" and since my shtick is photos of decaying, abandoned buildings (albeit typically in rural settings) I thought I'd love it. Unfortunately, the scope of things are really so large that it is really difficult to capture through a lens. I took a couple dozen shots that were pretty throw-away and gave up. Getting a "Holy poo poo, look at that big building that nobody even cares about anymore" is like shooting fish in a barrel and getting anything that really speaks to the whole problem (which Jellyko more or less covered) is way beyond my abilities.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's a wild one consistently returning to the same spot (visiting a rehabilitating bird) and allowing people to photograph it. That's kind of a big deal, unless you want to hike to the middle of nowhere with a pile of gear and hunt for the eagle's nest.

As a resident of the Pacific Northwest I will take this rare opportunity to get to be smug about something photography related. I took this from my back patio:

Bald Eagles are pretty drat common in this part of the world.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Helmacron posted:

But now I've had what felt like the longest twelve hours in the world to think about it, no poo poo, longest ever. At 3am, in control of a 24t machine, I set my phone's egg timer to 5 minute intervals and just took cat naps until I had to do something. I have this loving close standing offsider who hangs outside my cab window and stares, dimwittedly, just at me. Just at and around me, all the loving time. Then, the compressor started building up too much wind, and letting itself off in this piercing shriek that loosened not just my bowels, but sinew from bone/words from brain/soul from mortal coil/etc and when it did it, after I recovered, I saw him walk around the back of the rig on the reverse camera, right next to the compressor, and he just stood their with a not so bright look on his face and began picking his nose with his thumb, and as he delved deep, the compressor blew it's load again and he didn't... he didn't flinch. Not even a twitch for approximately the loudest and just genuinely most body and mind fragmenting/shattering noise I've ever been party to. and that is officially not loving cool. I had to turn off the rig, drive two kilometres to the top of the mine and just line up a row of lukewarm styrofoam cup coffee's and shot them with my eyes closed in an attempt to realign my shakra.

You're in the wrong thread.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I really hope that they release more than just that one photo from that occasion, at least in my lifetime. I suppose he probably wasn't playing "wedding photographer" during the whole operation, but he's got to have some really amazing images.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

onezero posted:

Yeah, SN #s are in the hands of SPD now. Going to be trolling the Sea-Tac craigslist for a shot in the dark as well.

I've had http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/ thrown out as a recommendation to. Worth a shot, I guess.

Gear was on a bookshelf next to my desk in my main kitchen/living area. I live in a one bedroom, groundlevel, recessed from street, and I tend to keep the shades closed when I'm not around, but it's not terribly hard to sneak a peek inside. In hindsight, clearly could have been ways to conceal my gear better, but it's just not something I really considered much.

gently caress dude. Sorry to hear about that, especially from someone local. Mind if I ask what neighborhood you live in?

Not having renters/homeowners insurance really blows. Not to add insult to injury, but as a tip to other goons who might fall into the same situation, but when I first got renters insurance I did it through my auto insurance company. Turns out they had a 10% discount if you had multiple policies with them and due to the super cheap nature of renters insurance I actually ended up paying less for both policies than I was for just an auto policy.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Destroyenator posted:

Last night I was out in the nightlife district of Medellin for the cup final when the local team beat Bogota. Big parties in the streets and lots of celebration so I took my T70 with a 50mm and flash out to capture some of the excitement. At some point I think I was given a spiked drink or similar because as a seasoned drinker I can attest what happened wasn't solely alcohol. Long story short I acquired a cut through my eyebrow and a dirty shirt (consistent with falling or being pushed to the ground) and had my camera taken and have no recollection of either. My memory cuts out at a specific point and then reappears when I'm sitting by the side of the road bleeding and dazed and was taken back to my hostel by a couple of other tourists. Moral of the story: just because it's a thirty year old film camera you got on ebay on the cheap doesn't mean the sort of people who'll gently caress you up for money realise it's worth nothing and you could win yourself some facial scarring thrown in.

Alternatively, maybe you got hit hard enough to give you a concussion which hosed with your memory. It sucks either way, however.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

FasterThanLight posted:

Yeah man, he should have known to magically turn himself white before going out and attempting to do his job and not break any laws. What a shitbag.

As someone who has had a similar incident (albeit much more benign), and is about as white as they come, I can assure you that they don't just give the friendly "white people are a-ok wave" and let you go about your business if you're doing something they deem suspicious. The funniest part to me is that if anyone remotely intelligent wanted to gather intelligence on a possible target the last thing they would do is sit in plain view with a video camera on a tripod.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

One of my coworkers just told me about a wedding he was in this weekend. Apparently the photographers were using awesome analog gear to augment their DSLRs. Manual focus cameras, analog light meters, etc. Apparently it was taking forever to set up the formal shots and they didn't really seem to know what they were doing. After doing a whole roll of posed shots the photographer went to change the film and the whole roll unraveled on the ground. Apparently the photographer looked down awkwardly and proclaimed, "I think it's ok, because it was already exposed." My friend knew the reality but just kept his mouth shut because what the gently caress are you going to do in that position? I guess is the moral of the story is to learn a little something about film before you try to shoot a wedding with it.

In much more horrible news, I went to Facebook message the bride for the wedding I'm shooting this weekend and found out her apartment complex burned down yesterday. To make things worse the only reason I'm shooting this wedding in the first place is that she got fired a month before her wedding and her original photographer was her former boss.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

If anyone ever has the bright idea to try to open up their Monfrotto joystick head with the intention of fixing it, just save yourself some time and put a gun to your head right then. :suicide:

That's four hours of my life I won't get back.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I was pretty stoked to find an older version of what has become the Manfrotto 055 series for $20 at a garage sale, but some dude on Fred Miranda found an FD 800mm F/5.6 for $5. I hope he likes birds.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Just got back from 11 days in Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier. These are pretty much the best places to go if you want some cringe worthy moments, such as people trying to photograph bears that I couldn't really capture well at 400mm with their cell phones. I think my favorite was the guy with a either a Canon 24-70 or 24-105 that had a camouflage wrapping.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I was curious what was so special about Bondi Beach and a flickr search came up with a really creepy series of photos of some dude changing behind his car. (Work safe)

I was hoping it was just a horrible attempt at "street" photography, but he's just a flickr creep.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Speaking of Australia and beaches, what ever happened to Fenner? He hasn't posted since like May either here or on his flickr account.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Pope Mobile posted:

Okay, I'm keeping my camera in my tank bag from now on; there's a pod of orcas in the Puget Sound right now. They were just off the ferry as I was commuting to work this morning. That and a fantastic sunset the other night. :argh:

Which ferry were you on?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Polarizing and the right light can go a long way. Plus I always wonder what "no digital manipulation" means. Like you literally scanned the slide in and saved as TIFF? Surely there was some simple contrast and probably color correction done.

Since we're on the subject, the left side of the ditch in that shot has always looked hosed up to me. I guess it's just some sticks or something combined with JPEG artifacting, but it always made me think the image was faked or photoshopped.

edit: Watch a 70-200 F/2.8 IS II and (I assume) a 24-70mm F/2.8 almost drown thanks to some awesome National Guard driving.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 29, 2011

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

http://gizmodo.com/5837537/swedish-nature-photographer-exposed-as-giant-photoshopping-fraud

Apparently Sweden is full of blind photography judges, although given the quality of some "winners" of photo contests I can't say I'm shocked.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Didn't include ISO. What a lazy ad.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

MrOpus posted:

Bryan Peterson is nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wODQYOVe7E

Rule number 1 of shooting a video for loving photographers should be leave that video camera in manual mode so the exposure doesn't jump all over the place when the reflector comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

Sounds like you aren't spending enough time doing long-exposure photography :colbert:

Fixed.