Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
What is it with camera nerds and Asian girls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Clearly you have to be bitter to not appreciate the subtle genius of Flickr user mister bokeh. His typographical study of the Asian female in her natural environment is a new and exciting development in the short history of our beloved medium.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

I don't particularly like them as a whole either, but there are a few of them that are quite pleasing

I was being sarcastic, because this guy chose the name mister bokeh and is indistinguishable from every other Flickr Explore superstar, right down to his choice of lens and taste in women.

Hatin' for the same reason everyone here dislikes K-Rock, not because he's not super deep fine artist. I don't think I've ever really posted about anyone that obscure or out of the mainstream anyways.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

Just from an initial glance, both these images are quite nice, and I certainly wouldn't mind having them in my portfolio.

I'm more making fun of Flickr than that guys work, which is what it is. He even has a weird business name complete with an illegible aperture-like logo as a watermark.

I give him 5 gold stars.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 22, 2011

brad industry
May 22, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Baller as gently caress

Reminds me of a professor I had, Zig Jackson:

brad industry
May 22, 2004
:siren: I just moved and won't have internet until the 14th, PM pipes or email me off forums if anyone needs anything :siren:

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Are X100's still $1200ish or is there a better deal somewhere? I was thinking about buying one for a bike tour coming up.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I always ask pros how they got into photography and about half of them say, "So I was doing this totally unrelated thing and then I got a few jobs shooting and said 'gently caress it'."

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I have worked on hundreds of editorial shoots and the client has never talked about gear..... at all, for any reason, ever. That's why they hire a pro?

edit: and ironically, Elinchrom is one of the least common I've worked with

brad industry fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 11, 2011

brad industry
May 22, 2004
When I was looking for darkroom equipment, I acquired basically 3 full darkroom setups for free in an afternoon on Craigslist.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
http://www.life.com/gallery/60891/photographers-at-work-life-is-good

Andrew Hetherington edited a collection of Life photographers at work.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Also Flickr is full of weirdos.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

FLX posted:

Photography newbie here: what makes Hasselblad cameras so expensive/special?

They're engineered to perfection. There is no possible way to improve on the design. Every detail is thought out to the millionth degree, they are indestructible, and the quality of the image they produce can't be beat.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Yeah but all medium format backs are expensive for that reason (and actually, Victor Hasselblad doesn't really make the backs, it's a separate company they merged with).

The reason the cameras are expensive is because they are sturdy and reliable enough to send to the moon.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Elite Taco posted:

EDIT - Also, I'm considering doing a speedlite workshop at a local studio. Price is $500 for the day and comes highly recommended from a few of the photographers I've gotten to work with here in town. I'm hesitant to drop so much cash, but at the same time I'm serious about growing and willing to invest in myself. What do you think, Dorkroom? Go for it?

Why don't you just assist some of those photographers? Then they'll pay you to learn the same poo poo. Or you could offer to assist for free and you'd still be $500 ahead and possibly have a client. I guess I don't see what could be worth $500 that you couldn't learn about Speedlites by reading Strobist or dicking around for an afternoon.

The whole "workshop industry" drives me crazy. Look at who is putting it on to decide if it's worth it. If it's some local photographer... guess what, the reason they have time to organize an expensive workshop is because they're not shooting (and they need the money).

The only thing I've ever paid that much for was Phase One training - I got a $400 software license and certification out of it though and it was taught by one of their engineers.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
LA is one of the bigger markets, there is a lot of work there (more than up here in SF for sure).

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

You're always going to learn more photography absolutely loving up your way through a lovely model mayhem booked shoot than you are assisting on a high level.

Assisting is great for learning how things work on that level though as well as networking. It does look great on a photography "CV" - being able to name drop.

I think assisting is a lot more valuable than that. Obviously you need to be shooting on your own all the time, but 95% of working professionally has nothing to do with button pushing. Commercial photography is very much an informal apprentice industry. Assisting is a small part of what I do now, but everything I ever learned about anything in the photo business I learned on someone else's set. I still learn new things every job. There are definitely successful people out there who never assisted, but they're the exception.

And it's not name dropping to have a client list :).

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Yeah it definitely teaches you to be proactive, which is what you really need to learn to be a successful shooter. I personally think that if you can't make it as an assistant then you can't make it as a photographer. It's the same exact thing as far as looking for clients, business practices, everything freelance related, dealing with interpersonal issues, etc. the fact that you learn a few tricks and get plugged into the local production network is just a side bonus.

The main thing is that it shows you exactly what your local market is like. My friend and I used to joke that half of being an assistant is being able to hold a conversation on the drive to the job. What you learn though is exactly what it takes to run a successful business in your town. Who the clients are, how different people structure their businesses, what you have to do to make an actual living. Like when I moved to SF, I knew nothing about the photo industry here, but after working for a lot of shooters in the area I have a very complete picture of exactly what kind of work is out there and what the opportunities are. I work for a lot of different people for the same clients, and I got to see very closely how the differences in their businesses work or don't work. You can't really learn that any other way except through assisting.

quote:

I'm struggling to line up regular assistant work, but I've only been at it about a month or so. I remind myself often about Rome, day, etc,.

It's all persistence, a month is nothing. I just started working for a new client that I have been hounding via email and phone calls (with zero response, zero!) for 4 years.

If you want to speed the process up my advice is to contact successful assistants in your area. They are the ones who make the calls to hire 2nd's and 3rd's for jobs more than the photographers. Buy them a beer, they were once in your shoes.

quote:

The loving sprinklers went on.

Yeah that happened on a job I assisted on a few years ago. Two Profoto 2400's went up in flames. Glad I learned that lesson on someone else's shoot :).

brad industry fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 28, 2011

brad industry
May 22, 2004

CaptainViolence posted:

Yes, but is the explosion radioactive? :monocle:

Is there a demand for a new dSLR design?

They're creative exercises. You can learn just as much about design through things that are obvious failures as you can through successes.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
:siren: I'll be gone for the next two weeks or so on vacation :siren:

pipes will be checking in while I'm out. I am not really going to have internet access at all, so please contact him with any forums issues.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Elite Taco posted:

Have a fun trip. Take pics, or don't come back.

Goin to pick up more film right now before I leave. Also I added this dumb retarded social photo bullshit if anyone wants to follow me: http://web.stagram.com/n/bradwenner

brad industry
May 22, 2004
If anyone wants to make a contest thread I will sticky it here and see if we can get some cross-forum promotion for it.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Hah that's funny I just met her a few months ago (she shares a studio in SF with a guy I work with) and had no idea she was doing that. Awesome. Her commercial work is really good too.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
All weddings used to be shot on film (on 120! with only 12 exposures! with a fixed, manual focus lens!).

Horrifying, I know.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Not that I'm defending every Terry Richardson does, but this response to that article is funny:

http://streetbonersandtvcarnage.com/blog/terry-richardson-raped-me-too/ (NSFW)

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I don't really buy it, there are a million photographers out there and no one is forced to do anything. There are a lot of articles out there about how awful these models get treated but I have never seen any of that in the real world.

When I was starting out as a photo assistant in NYC I turned down jobs from a famous photographer everyone here's heard of after seeing how abusive and inappropriate he was to his crew. This guy is legendary for his on-set behavior (there was an article about it in the NYT referring to the year in particular that I worked for him just a few weeks ago!). I knew what I was getting into, but did it anyway because I wanted his name on my client list. Two jobs was enough for me and I said no the next time they tried to book me and that was it. My career has been fine.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I realize being a male assistant is not the same thing. Terry Richardson is definitely a pervert who seems to cross the line (or at least he presents his work that way). I just think these "omg the fashion industry is so terrible and exploitative" articles are so sensationalist. I have been on shoots where the model said "I'm not comfortable doing that" and the only response has ever been "No problem". The agencies at this level are very protective of their talent. No one has to perform sexual favors for Terry to further their career.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
To me this is about this model's inexperience. All other poo poo aside, Terry is a professional and this model is a professional and working on photo shoots is about business, even when your job is to make weird, sleazy, sexual photos. The reason I posted my story about starting out as an assistant is because when you are young and low on the chain of command you will make a lot of mistakes. One of the mistakes I think everyone (in every production and talent capacity) makes is not setting appropriate boundaries with your clients. I have been asked to do so many unsafe, ridiculous, stupid things over my career and there is always a loving poo poo load of pressure to shut up and do what you are told - because you're a freelancer and if you don't play ball they'll call someone else next time.

So when I look back I can think of so many situations where I should have said, "No sorry I'm not comfortable doing that" and risked my own safety or well-being for someone else's photo, but I didn't know any better, or didn't think I had the right to speak up on a job (especially on the jobs where it was a big name photographer and hey isn't this a great opportunity? just shut up and do the work and you'll be on to the next job and the next client tomorrow so who cares...).

Making photographs at this level is a large production that involves a lot of people, and there is always, always a lot of pressure on set to be a team player. You can always say no, and that is a lesson everyone seems to learn the hard way. So again I think Terry is obviously a sleazeball and I'm not defending him, but part of being a professional is learning when to say "no".

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Woot you have excellent taste in chairs, and also I think you might be as OCD organized as me.

We should have a "post your workspace" thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
bigger = smaller number, although I usually say "stop down" or "open up".