Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

squidflakes posted:

And just to be a dick, Lionel Lum is terrible about that. He's got some P&S that he takes to anime and comic book conventions. Shoots the same 5 poses of scantily clad girls. Then moves the contrast slider to the far right. Ta da! Suddenly he's a professional photgrapher.

You've pinpointed the entire reason for his success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Street fashion photography in Helsinki. Posed full body shots.
http://www.hel-looks.com/index.php

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

squidflakes posted:

Welcome to Finland, where the cell phones are top of the line but fashion is stuck in the 80s.

And this is Helsinki, the capital. The rest of the country has yet to realize the 50s have ended. v:shobon:v

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Someone go donate them a few Lensbabies, please.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
And another. Bucharest gay pride in 2008. All those photographers were probably hoping for another wild riot, but this time the march was peaceful.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Interrupting Moss posted:

Documentary about Nachtwey, War Photographer, is good and talks a lot about photojournalism... although I certainly do not think most crisis photography is done by people like Nachtwey. But some do good things.

Great documentary, by the way. Here's a scene where he justifies what he's doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3VoyjUP8hg

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Turns out F bodies are pretty good at stopping bullets :toot:

Here's an interview with Don McCullin, the owner of that camera.

quote:

From 1961: war photographer, mainly for the Observer and the Sunday Times
(Cyprus, Viet-nam, Cambodia, Congo, Biafra, Israel, Northern Ireland).
After a reportage about the massacre in Sabra and Shatila (Lebanon) decides to quit war photography and to photograph landscapes.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 7, 2010

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

JaundiceDave posted:

I see brown.

notlodar posted:

crazy flashes then stable brown poop

You're accidentally playing Quake instead.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Time-lapse shot with a Nikon D3, creating a miniature New York:
http://www.vimeo.com/9679622

For more information, see this link:
http://aerofilm.blogspot.com/2010/02/sandpit-short-film-by-aero-director-sam.html
What's really impressive is that he's shot some of the scenes hand held. No tilt shift lenses involved either.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 5, 2010

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Hop Pocket posted:

That's funny - almost completely different from Canon (except for aperture priority enabling the front wheel). In AE on my Canon, at leaset, the back wheel allows you to adjust the exposure +/- 2 stops. How does the Nikon let you do this?

On the more advanced models, there are also plenty of custom settings to fine tune the controls to your liking. On aperture priority, my front wheel changes aperture, the back wheel does EV -/+ 3 stops. I've only used the xxxD line of Canons, but I reckon the more complex models also have huge menus and huge manuals.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Ansel Adams: The Mural Project 1941-1942

http://www.doi.gov/news/photos/Ansel-Adams-Mural-Project-Opens-at-Interior-Department.cfm

U.S. Department of the Interior posted:

Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar today unveiled an exhibit within the corridors of the Department of the Interior of 26 never-before installed murals taken by famed photographer and conservationist Ansel Adams. The images, part of Ansel Adams: The Mural Project 1941-1942, have been installed on the first and second floors of the Department as originally envisioned by the artist and then-Secretary of the Interior, Harold Ickes.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

unixbeard posted:

i usually dream about boobs and stuff but whatevs!

See how we dream about stuff we don't have.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 11, 2010

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

fronkpies posted:

Please forgive me, I have brought shame upon myself and my family.

Don't let their prestrictive grammar get to you.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Here's something rather interesting. Nokia Markets unit director Anssi Vanjoki says camera phones will make DSLRs obsolete (link through Google translate). Here's a sloppily translated excerpt.

Anssi Vanjoki doesn't know poo poo about cameras posted:

Vanjoki based his argument on the rapid progression of technology. "We can squeeze a 50Mpix sensor and a high-quality glass lens into a space smaller than your pinky, and season this with an image editing software that will revolutionize the DSLR market in the near future."

But there's a good point there too.

Anssi Vanjoki doesn't know poo poo about cameras posted:

"Everybody has a camera phone, and everybody's taking photos."

And he says that in about a year camera phones will be taking HD quality video. But that new Nokia phones will kill the DSLR market? The guy's a loving idiot. It's not the DSLR market Nokia should be aiming for either, it's the compact market. DSLRs are nothing compared to the compacts, and it's the compact cameras that will suffer the most as camera phones improve. Will phones and compact cameras converge? I see that as much more likely than camera phones killing off DSLRs.

Original article in Finnish.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
e: /\/\/\/\/\ Carl Zeiss, baby!

Now, to be fair, I'm sure he gets paid to make sweeping statements exactly like that. That's called "visionary innovation", I believe.

spf3million posted:

They already have in China. Everyone here has phones with real actual, respectable lenses, optical zooms and all. They're about the size of a Canon SD1300. A little thick, but still easily pocketable and not much bigger than a blackberry.

I'm guessing these are mid-range to high-end phones? The cheap, tiny phones with tiny cameras will still probably be popular, but cheap compacts are in huge trouble.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

pwn posted:

:v: Awesome, thanks for clearing that up.

Don't worry, there's always the t/stop.

Thom Hogan posted:

What's a t/stop? Well, an f/stop is a theoretical aperture (length divided by opening). A t/stop is the actual transmission property of the lens, and it's almost always lower than the marked f/stop because each air/glass transition in the lens is robbing just a bit of light.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

DaNzA posted:

"equipment is not the most important thing"

*post of a photo of me and my giant camera*

Are you kidding me? I'd hire that guy based on the name alone. :cool:

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Remember how Anssi Vanjoki promised to make DSLRs obsolete with Nokia's smartphones? Well, the time's almost here.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I had a father and son come in this week, and they wanted to buy the son's first DSLR camera. I helped them select the best camera for him, they handled the various models a bit, and the father said that he was going to "think on this for a while", and they left. It was so blatantly obvious that he just wanted for his son to get a feel for the various entry-level models, then start shopping online.

Of course, I work for a big chain, and this is just the way retail works these days. (Joke's on him though, we tend to have among the best prices in the country, save for obscure internet stores elsewhere in the EU.)

I'm sure even Henry's gets most of the volume from compact camera sales, followed by entry-level DSLRs and micro bodies, with pro stuff like the D700 far behind.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
As the United Nations General Assembly starts today, here's a repost of some world leader portraits from 2009 by Platon. Most of you probably remember this, but if you haven't seen the set, it's excellent.

Portraits of Power:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/multimedia/2009/12/07/091207_audioslideshow_platon

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Samsung to 'out-sell' Canon and Nikon by 2015

AP posted:

Samsung chiefs have told AP that the company is determined to secure the number one spot in the mirror-less micro system camera market by 2012, and to be the best selling camera brand overall by 2015.

Doesn't sound exactly easy, but maybe plausible. Seems Samsung's strategy so far has been to flood the compact market with colorful models with just small differences, and the NX system seems to be aimed at teenagers whose parents pay for the camera.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Magnum photographer David Harvey claims that photography does require blood, sweat and tears:
http://www.vimeo.com/17855680

Video shot by his son, Bryan Harvey, which is cool all by itself.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Twenties Superstar posted:

There are a lot of reasons to use a tripod in bright day light :)

This is the guy who said that VR made tripods completely and absolutely obsolete for everything.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

HPL posted:

Nothing super-groundbreaking here, just thought this article was kind of amusing:

'The sexy lady' and other hotel photo tricks

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/01/19/hotel.photo.fakeouts/index.html?hpt=C2

The Hyatt picture is especially interesting, because the hotel is very close to the Capitol building, so one could claim that using a telephoto to bring the two closer is warranted. The other picture is more misleading than the ad material.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

HPL posted:

As a Canon user, I am envious of Nikon's low light AF and high ISO quality. Other than that, everything else is largely the same.

Oh, and I do find it odd how some Nikon DSLRs get faster frame rates if you put a battery grip on them.

Using different batteries.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Some quick reading, Chris Leaman recently shot fresh Congresspersons for Washingtonian Magazine.

EOSHD says Nikon's still imaging will suffer if they don't improve video, or something.

Michael Reichman reviews Panasonic GH2, and as always, any negative points are actually positive if he likes a product. Still interesting to try one out.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

spog posted:

I'd be curious to see if there were any crossover from the camera manufacturers.

e.g. Canon makes a new P&S that includes a SIM to allow you to send your photos straight to facebook when taken.

Of the big manufacturers, Sony and Samsung also make phones, so maybe they'll see the writing on the wall. In any case, compact cameras need the sharing abilities from phones if they're to survive as a mass market consumer item.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
15 Thoughts on Composition by Alan Briot over at Luminous Landscape:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/composition_top_15.shtml

And 159 pics to shift through at The Photoletariat:
http://thephotoletariat.com/159-stunning-breathtaking-and-brilliant-photographs/

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 20, 2011

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Which of Us Dies First?

Teru Kuwayama posted:

You'd almost think it was the first time journalists had been killed in the line of duty, but it wasn't – it was just the first time, in a long time, that western journalists with names like "Tim" and "Chris" were killed.

Another point of view on journalism, and war journalism especially.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

I rotate the camera clockwise when I shoot portrait. Counter-clockwise puts your hand on top and leaves only one hand to stabilize the camera. It also feels very awkward, but maybe I am the strange one!

\/\/\/ When you fold your hands does the left one naturally go on top or is it the right one? This may be important!

Doesn't clockwise mean your nose is kind of in the way? Unless you use your left eye for the viewfinder...

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I'll be in South Asia for the summer, and I'm really thinking about selling some of my kit, and my DSLR body, and getting an X100 instead. After the summer, I can't decide on what to do, and if I want to keep the Fuji or not.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Leica cut open.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Here's a golden Nikon.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

dunkman posted:

At home in Lightroom 3, whenever I click on a picture, the Crop lines show up on the outside.

Here at work, they don't. I can't find the setting for this, is there any way to make that the default?

Also, all the time the aspect ratio is locked here at work, but at home it's not. This is driving me nuts!

There should be a little lock next to the crop tool to unlock or lock aspect ratio.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Some Nikon concept cameras.

From NikonRumors, and additional pictures by montie j.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Awesome slideshow of Steve McCurry images:
http://www.vimeo.com/28448318

From TOP.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Photographer Arif Iqball shares his thoughts on a workshop with Steve McCurry, and they're not that pretty:
http://arifiqball.com/blog/2011/03/01/reflections-on-steve-mccurry-myanmar-workshop/

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I can definitely relate to the article*. I was shooting women's gymnastics earlier this year, and I realized afterwards that I couldn't remember anything of the show itself. I only had the pictures. If I'm going to a concert, I might snap a quick shot or two, but I'm there primarily to enjoy the show.

And people are taking more and more pictures. Facebook has tons, how many of them are utterly uninteresting to anyone but the photographer?

From Petapixel posted:

Digital cameras are now ubiquitous – it is estimated that 2.5 billion people in the world today have a digital camera. If the average person snaps 150 photos this year that would be a staggering 375 billion photos. That might sound implausible but this year people will upload over 70 billion photos to Facebook, suggesting around 20% of all photos this year will end up there. Already Facebook’s photo collection has a staggering 140 billion photos, that’s over 10,000 times larger than the Library of Congress.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/09/16/the-relative-sizes-of-the-worlds-largest-photo-libraries/

* Ikea meatballs being poor value, what the hell? Is food that insanely cheap in Britain?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The Online Photographer is great for thoughts and insights. Not much news coverage, but it's updated almost daily with musings about photography.

For actual news, I like PetaPixel and dpreview.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

The discussion has moved on already, but someone was talking earlier about using Picassa for an online gallery and up until a few weeks ago that's what I was using, but I noticed all the pictures I posted were softer than the original and slightly off in colour. I switched to Smugmug and couldn't believe the difference.

Here's a comparison of the same photo viewed from both galleries.

[pics]

I'm not sure why the difference exists but I think I'll stick to Smugmug.

Smugmug sharpens and processes the photos a bit once they're up. You can actually adjust the amount in the settings. I like the interface, I like the service, would definitely recommend it.

Smugmug++