Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
A couple months ago someone posted (in this thread?) about an amazing shack in the middle of nowhere in North Carolina full of great old large and medium format cameras.

A friend of mine just moved back home to NC and wanted some details on the place.

Anyone remember what it was called/a website, or who originally posted about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Yep that was me. It's called Huemax in Archdale, NC.

huemaxx.huemax.com is the website, and the guy's name is Ken Toda. Tell him to make sure to call before going to make sure he'll be ther.

Thanks a lot!

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

Does anyone know the name of the photographer who takes star trail photos in the salt flats or deserts of Austrailia (I think)? I think he was in the Post Awesome Photographers thread. I remember they almost looked abstract with the horizon so flat and the starts circling directly over the horizon.

Not sure if it's who you mean, but if its not you should check out Murray Fredericks and the documentary about his crazy large format adventures in Lake Eyre anyway, titled "Salt".

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

Holy hot drat I think I saw that documentary at last year's Banff Mountain Film Festival (or rather, when they came to my theatre on their tour thing). Was that the one where he was riding a bicycle for a bit and the ground was all lovely and muddy and it sucked?

Great documentary though.

That's the one.

Dude spent ages out there in pretty harsh conditions and spent a lot of money. I love how they don't show his pictures til near the end, and the whole time he's just like "I really don't know if it's worth it... I am spending all this time away from my family and I just don't even know if any of these will turn out." and then you see them and they're fricking amazing.

EDIT: also I don't know if it's still the case but the documentary was free to watch on the abc's site (Australian broadcasting company) a year ago.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 25, 2012

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
I was in Uniqlo yesterday and they have this big "corporate collaboration" clothing line at the moment, with the usual expected animu and video game tie ins but they also had a few camera ones.

I found t shirts for Sinar, the X100 and (comedy option) the Pentax Q.

Geeky but pretty neat. Uniqlo just opened up some US stores didn't they?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Goofy video a photographer I work with made, I make a couple super brief cameos in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKBetMjwLk8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Is there still an urbex thread round here somewhere?

Can't find it.

I went to GREAT EXPENSE in making this rig for my camera and was thinking of ustreaming an explore I was planning to do tomorrow if there was any interest in it.

(Actually a serious post, I am going exploring tomorrow and will stream it if anyone wants to see run down crap).