Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I don't have a computer desk anymore, I just have my PC hooked up to my TV and mostly use a controller for games and a K400 mouse/keyboard thing for everything else. If I want to play an FPS or something where I want M+KB support then I use that K400 and a separate wireless mouse on this piece of poo poo two foot long folding table I got at Walmart. It works, but I do kind of miss using my Corsair KWhatever. Is there such thing as a pretty okay mechanical keyboard that's both wireless and pretty small?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
There's a bluetooth HHKB out there but lol is it ever not cheap. Varmilo makes a dope bluetooth keyboard but it's not at all small.
You would do better to get a keyboard with a removable usb cord and buy a usb-bluetooth adapter.

I'm actually setting something like this up for myself right now. Massdrop has this but I'm sure I can find better https://www.massdrop.com/buy/bluetooth-keyboard-adapter?referer=8CGLRQ

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Not mechanical but I got a refurbished K820 on ebay for like $25 a couple of months ago. It has logitech's nicer scissor switches, multi-touch trackpad, may as well have been new, and is a huge upgrade over the k400 in every way.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Ok thread, as a reward to myself for pulling off 5, 60 hour weeks I'ma gonna get myself a new keyboard. I currently have a decade + old saitek eclipse 2 membrane. What's a good mechanical rgb keyboard with a metric butt-ton of extra programmable buttons. My work requires a few dozen specialized symbols and formatting weirdness that I would like to vastly simplify by assigning/toggling them to single keys. I do game as well, nothing pro level though. I don't think the wife would tolerate a clicky board either.

Been looking at the massive cosair metal boards with browns.

Is that ok or are the other great options that I'm easily missing?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The RGB and extra macro keys are actually not really enthusiast features so your best bet for those is corsair.

The best thing Is to head to s Best Buy and try switches. I recommend tactile which means either brown (trash tier) or blues (good if you can have the noise)

Or spend a stupid amount on a realforce RGB.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

There's a bluetooth HHKB out there but lol is it ever not cheap. Varmilo makes a dope bluetooth keyboard but it's not at all small.
You would do better to get a keyboard with a removable usb cord and buy a usb-bluetooth adapter.

I'm actually setting something like this up for myself right now. Massdrop has this but I'm sure I can find better https://www.massdrop.com/buy/bluetooth-keyboard-adapter?referer=8CGLRQ

Haha drat no that is not cheap. Too bad too because that looks like exactly what I'd want if it was at all reasonably priced.

It looks like the massdrop thing is sold out, but I can still get it at the manufacturer's site. I've looked around a bit and also found some other one that was part of an IndieGogo campaign but it appears to be sold out on Amazon. Are there any other ones to look for? I'd like to get off of Amazon if possible since I have a bunch of gift card money on there and it's kind of a hard thing to search for without getting 30 pages of USB receiver dongles.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Im sure that this guy has been posted in the past even though I try to keep up with this thread but I like his style and Keyboard collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCD0y51PJfvkZNe3y3FR5riw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOWVKJRFX8

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
I'd like to get my first mechanical keyboard and am eyeing the TADA68. However, I can only find it on TaoBao. Would it be a bad idea to order it through them? I live in the US.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Instrumedley posted:

I'd like to get my first mechanical keyboard and am eyeing the TADA68. However, I can only find it on TaoBao. Would it be a bad idea to order it through them? I live in the US.

Keep in mind that China is currently shut down for Chinese New Year. Nothing is going to ship out for at least a couple weeks, possibly longer.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If matched feature-for-feature, I would straight up trade my Corsair for a Razer right now. (OSX support)

EDIT: Okay, seems my problem was a bug with OSX that was fixed yesterday.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 24, 2017

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Are there any wireless keyboards out there which are solar powered and/or powered by kinetic energy from typing? It sounds cool to not have to replace batteries, though I would think it would be nice to have the option to hook them up if there is a problem (so you don't end up with a useless brick if the charging method goes wrong).

I saw some solar powered ones from a cursory search, but I saw some people talking about how sometimes the panels wouldn't work, causing the keyboard to eventually become useless.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Some folks at my work have solar powered Logitech keyboards. They are cheap pieces of poo poo (super chintzy) but they do work.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

garfield hentai posted:

Haha drat no that is not cheap. Too bad too because that looks like exactly what I'd want if it was at all reasonably priced.

It looks like the massdrop thing is sold out, but I can still get it at the manufacturer's site. I've looked around a bit and also found some other one that was part of an IndieGogo campaign but it appears to be sold out on Amazon. Are there any other ones to look for? I'd like to get off of Amazon if possible since I have a bunch of gift card money on there and it's kind of a hard thing to search for without getting 30 pages of USB receiver dongles.

Yeah there's this Nulaxy brand one that I'm finding on Amazon but also seems to be unavailable. It looks like the consumer side of this kind of device is non-existent!

This is looking like it's going to be a solder and raspberry pi project and even then I'm reading in random forum posts that programmable layer keyboards don't play all that well through this sort of thing? Poop.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

thechosenone posted:

Are there any wireless keyboards out there which are solar powered and/or powered by kinetic energy from typing? It sounds cool to not have to replace batteries, though I would think it would be nice to have the option to hook them up if there is a problem (so you don't end up with a useless brick if the charging method goes wrong).

I saw some solar powered ones from a cursory search, but I saw some people talking about how sometimes the panels wouldn't work, causing the keyboard to eventually become useless.

Logitech makes one. I found that it gets enough light to last through a work day in my house (with sunlight through a couple of side windows) in spring/summer/fall but not winter. Gaming will drain it a lot faster. I gave up on it after a couple of years and got a wired mechanical.

On the plus side, it's about as thin as a keyboard can be and has decent scissor switches. If you could plug the fucker in to run wired or just top off the little watch battery it runs on, I might still be using it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Astrobastard posted:

Im sure that this guy has been posted in the past even though I try to keep up with this thread but I like his style and Keyboard collection
Thomas is pretty awesome, but he pretty much does vintage stuff only. He's down on Cherry MX (including modern ones) and I don't think he's ever reviewed a Topre board.

His videos are certainly entertaining, but they're not very useful for people who don't take daily trips to the recyclers.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The last custom keycap set I've gone in for hasn't even shipped yet and I've already bought into another drop what is wrong with me.

The way the modern world is going, six month lead times seem pretty optimistic.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Thomas is pretty awesome, but he pretty much does vintage stuff only. He's down on Cherry MX (including modern ones) and I don't think he's ever reviewed a Topre board.

His videos are certainly entertaining, but they're not very useful for people who don't take daily trips to the recyclers.

Oh for sure, i dont own any "vintage" Keyboards apart from the first Mac Pro keyboard but I am a Keyboard freak thanks to this thread and like his awkward but charming sense of humor and switch teardowns.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

garfield hentai posted:

I actually have a brand new Azio MK Mac that I'm returning to Amazon for non-performance related reasons. I need multi device support, but this is really made for a single device.

It has incredibly low lag; my wife types at around 100 WPM and it was perfectly responsive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7B45yslklc

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
How dare they call it a Mac keyboard without a = key on the numpad!

Actually that keyboard is really weird.
It has Clear but no =. (cost cutting, I get it.)
It has glyphs for Control but not Option.
Glyph (and the correct name) on Return but the wrong glyph on Enter.
Eject instead of Help.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 1, 2017

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
That's what happens when you put legends on your keycaps.

Loveline
Dec 30, 2005

Thoughts on the cooler master masterkeys pro?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Loveline posted:

I like the backlighting a lot. Tried one at a store. I use Topre for typing so no real interest in buying one myself though. The mouse it comes with is cute, like a mini Deathadder.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

Loveline posted:

I just got one in the TKL, MX blue variant a few days ago. I like it so far, switches feel alright and the matte plastic feel of the keycaps prevents a lot of finger slipping and mis strokes.The lighting effects are great and easily controllable through the function key if you don't want to install any software for it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I bought a Logitech G610 recently, love typing on it but I think I want a keyboard without a numpad.

I'm in the UK so obviously we do things differently. This is the only option I can find for a UK layout tenkeyless keyboard, does anyone have any other recommendations? I think Ilike brown switches.

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/uk-filco-ninja-majestouch-2-tenkeyless-nkr-tactile-action-keyboard.asp

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking for a full layout keyboard with Cherry Blues and backlit keys. I absolutely hate new style keycaps with crap fonts, I only want older style ones that look classy with nice fonts. I've been looking around for the last hour and finding not much with nice fonts. Help?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

redeyes posted:

I'm looking for a full layout keyboard with Cherry Blues and backlit keys. I absolutely hate new style keycaps with crap fonts, I only want older style ones that look classy with nice fonts. I've been looking around for the last hour and finding not much with nice fonts. Help?

https://codekeyboards.com/

Based on recommendations through the past few pages+, I bought one of these and it should be arriving tomorrow. Seems to also be what you're looking for.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

onesixtwo posted:

https://codekeyboards.com/

Based on recommendations through the past few pages+, I bought one of these and it should be arriving tomorrow. Seems to also be what you're looking for.

While nearly everything about those keyboards is awesome, one thing I cannot stand:

I know, I know. My OCD can't stand the horizontal Alt characters. They have to be vertical, top/bottom.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
How much do you want to spend then?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Buy a set of custom keycaps that you like if you're going to be that picky in this nichest of hardware markets.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
How about the cooler master that was just mentioned? Their masterkeys pro L comes in backlit cherry blues, vertical alt keys, and looks almost exactly like that code keyboard just linked. I've been using the TKL variant and have been loving it so far.

http://www.coolermaster.com/peripheral/keyboards/masterkeys-pro-l/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DarkEnigma posted:

How about the cooler master that was just mentioned? Their masterkeys pro L comes in backlit cherry blues, vertical alt keys, and looks almost exactly like that code keyboard just linked. I've been using the TKL variant and have been loving it so far.

http://www.coolermaster.com/peripheral/keyboards/masterkeys-pro-l/

That looks like the best one. Thanks.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

After years of churning through lovely 10 quid keyboards I've decided to embrace mechanical but I don't want to spend more than 100 quid. Skimmed through the past 10 or so pages on this thread and googled around and I've come up with a few options. Logitech G610 looks alright, maybe one of these CoolerMaster keyboards, Pro White or Quick Fire, found some cheapish Corsair K70s with red switches, I kinda want brown switches though and for some reason the only places I'm finding with UK K70 layouts with browns are a load more expensive. maybe one of those Unicomp IBM style keyboards? Are those okay for gaming? I could just get a Cherry G80 for about 60 quid which seems pretty good but as I said I kinda want browns. As I mentioned I do a spot of gaming but I mostly want something that lasts longer than a year, feels good and some media keys would be a bonus but not necessary.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

cool new Metroid game posted:

After years of churning through lovely 10 quid keyboards I've decided to embrace mechanical but I don't want to spend more than 100 quid. Skimmed through the past 10 or so pages on this thread and googled around and I've come up with a few options. Logitech G610 looks alright, maybe one of these CoolerMaster keyboards, Pro White or Quick Fire, found some cheapish Corsair K70s with red switches, I kinda want brown switches though and for some reason the only places I'm finding with UK K70 layouts with browns are a load more expensive. maybe one of those Unicomp IBM style keyboards? Are those okay for gaming? I could just get a Cherry G80 for about 60 quid which seems pretty good but as I said I kinda want browns. As I mentioned I do a spot of gaming but I mostly want something that lasts longer than a year, feels good and some media keys would be a bonus but not necessary.

The ibm/unicomp buckling springs are remarkably bad for gaming; inconsistent firing depth and a long reactivation. If you work in a shared office, your mates will also conspire to murder you.

UK layouts are probably less common and therefore more expensive in your new niche hobby of collecting keyboards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gaming on a buckling spring keyboard feels weird at first, but it was fine for the games I was playing.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

My CODE arrived, quick question: Are you supposed to install O-Rings on the modifier keys? I popped off my L-Shift, and I immediately regret doing so. Thing took forever to get back on, and it still is getting stuck if I apply too much pressure. Luckily operating pressure doesn't get stuck, but if I'm intentionally pushing it down it will be stuck until I tap on the opposite corner.. I'm not certain if it is due to the O-Rings & the larger switch & spring, or if I didn't set the spring proper. Only other modifier I would consider dampening would be my spacebar, but I'm not sure if I even want to take that off considering the shift gave /is giving me that much trouble.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Check the stabilizer bar. It's probably not seated properly if the key is getting stuck.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

yeah, I'm under the impression you can put orings everywhere, even big keys, and everything should be fine. I experienced some keys getting stuck when my stabilizers or the stabilizer bar wasn't properly seated/re-inserted, as Charles Mansion says.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Cool, thanks! I'll see how it is doing after some regular use, enjoying how the Clear + red orings feel compared to my old browns.

redeyes posted:

While nearly everything about those keyboards is awesome, one thing I cannot stand:

I know, I know. My OCD can't stand the horizontal Alt characters. They have to be vertical, top/bottom.

You know, I couldn't place why the keys seemed weird. I completely missed the fact that they were horizontally justified until you called it out. I could see that being one of those things to be irksome. I just went from using a blank keycap set for 5 years before ordering this CODE, so I can't say the key caps were a huge selling point either way for me.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

redeyes posted:

If they where vertical they would not light evenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

onesixtwo posted:

My CODE arrived, quick question: Are you supposed to install O-Rings on the modifier keys? I popped off my L-Shift, and I immediately regret doing so. Thing took forever to get back on, and it still is getting stuck if I apply too much pressure. Luckily operating pressure doesn't get stuck, but if I'm intentionally pushing it down it will be stuck until I tap on the opposite corner.. I'm not certain if it is due to the O-Rings & the larger switch & spring, or if I didn't set the spring proper. Only other modifier I would consider dampening would be my spacebar, but I'm not sure if I even want to take that off considering the shift gave /is giving me that much trouble.

Use a really tiny flat head screwdriver to make sure the stabilizers are connecting back to the board properly. I said "gently caress" when I popped off my first key with the stabilizer too, but once I figured out how it went on (took 5 minutes or so), the rest were pretty simple. If it feels funky, you attached it wrong.

• Locked thread