Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Zhentar posted:

I'd like to add that it has impressive battery life- it'll easily last a month of heavy use without charging.

Also I got mine at frys for around 130$. Highly recommend for anyone with a HTPC.

The touch pad works better then most bad reviews say it does. It uses acceleration so for 1920x1080 displays a fast flick will throw it across the screen. Also if you move to an edge and stay there it will continue to move.

Also for people who complained in reviews about the tap to click, they must have the motor skills of a 2 year old because I takes quite the solid tap to click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

khazadum posted:

Edit: Oh yeah - the g15 is FREAKING GIGANTIC. Heads up if you haven't actually touched it. It took up the entire keyboard tray, so for like two years I had to put my mouse on the upper desk area. Possibly very annoying.

The g15 without the stupid programmable buttons would have been the best keyboard ever made. It just makes the thing too big.

I used mine for winamp too and it was amazing. I miss that so much.

For anyone who wants to know.

water + g15 = :(

and

g15 + screw driver + opening it = good by LCD screen ribbon

Happened during a lab writeup. I tried to save it by letting it sit in the sun for 2 hours and dry up but it just would not work. Then I got desperate and tried to open it. Bad idea.

2 years of beer infused gaming and I killed it with water doing school work.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Ruklo Burosee posted:

Strange, mine doesn't do that at all. Maybe it only affects certain batches of the keyboard?

I have to say, after using this keyboard it's really difficult to type on anything else. The keys are very firm and the low-impact means I don't have to press nearly has hard. I also haven't seen any signs of key ghosting while playing games.

I just wish Logitech laser-etched the F keys where it says F1, F2, etc.

Mine doesn't have the space bar issue either. I was shocked to read that, and I'm unable to replicate it no matter how lightly I press the far edges of the space bar.

I agree: gaming, typing, media, price. This keyboard has it all.

edit: newo dot, can you get it replaced? It should not have any space bar issues... I use the left side to jump in games all the time.

malefactor fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 20, 2010

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn
I thought you guys might find this interesting since there is a lot of talk about gaming keyboards. Its neat to see just how fast the professional starcraft players are with their hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwQE4HuUUCA

In case you are wondering, its illegal to change the default hotkeys in pro starcraft. There are probably rules about the keyboards too, but it doesn't seem to matter to these guys.

Look at him go :swoon:

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Full Circle posted:

ctrl-shift-esc opens the task manager if that's what you're trying to do.

Its a better way of doing it since vista anyway. You can even do it with 1 hand :3:

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Full Circle posted:

I have a rediculously specific request for a keyboard that likely does not exist, but I figure if I have any chance of finding what I want it would be here.

I'm currently using a Razer Lycosa, and while it is a very nice keyboard it has one big and idiotic sounding problem; you can't press 2 WASD keys while capslock is down. This may sound useless, but capslock is my vent button and I quite like it. My dilemma now is that I would like a keyboard with laptop style keys and without that rollover, but razer seems to be the only company that makes any keyboards with these keys, and they all have this rollover problem. Media keys would be nice but are a distant third to my other needs.

I'd be grateful if someone knew of a keyboard that satisfies these semi-absurd requirements.

EDIT: closest I've managed to find is the Roccat Valo which is annoyingly difficult to purchase in the US for under 150 dollars. I'm looking in the 100 dollar or lower range.

Have you looked at this one?

logitech Illuminated Keyboard

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740&cl=us,en

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Full Circle posted:

Sorry for the double post, but if someone does have the logitech illuminated keyboard could you by any chance go here and see if wasd + some other keys are still responsive with capslock depressed?

Interesting

if I press:

W + A + S + D + cps +shift + ctrl

I can still hit any key.

if i press:

y + g + h + j

I can't hit "p"

I think they gave WASD their own dedicated paths.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Full Circle posted:

Impressive! If you're using that logitech illuminated keyboard it just became an instant purchase for me.

I've read way way too much into this in the last few days and apparently that 5 key limitation is imposed by usb itself and you can't go any higher. The razer just unfortunately didn't consider people would be using capslock while gaming.

Thats the one I'm using. I have never seen anyone talk about it negatively in any way.

huh, sometimes it get confused when i have WASD + ctrl + shift + another key, but if i take a finger off WASD it gets better.

It can definitively do WASD + cpslock + other keys

malefactor fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 18, 2010

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

GoldenNugget posted:

I just got this thing and while the keyboard aesthetics and form is really nice, the ghosting is worse than I thought it was going to be. In Bad Company 2, sprinting (w + shift) works fine but if you want to jump, it blocks space so you don't jump.

It's too bad really because if this thing worked decently for gaming, I'd keep it. Are there any other gaming keyboards that don't take up a huge amount of space, don't look like crap (as in rows of extra keys you can bind to stuff that I'd never use), and don't have ghosting?

I own this keyboard and I just tested it.

I can hit w + shift + spacebar

w + d + shift + spacebar

w + d + shift + ctrl + spacebar

w + a + shift + ctrl + right shift + spacebar

(tested in TF2)

???

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

GoldenNugget posted:

It doesn't block the jump? I was just trying this in left 4 dead 2 and w + shift + space blocks space so I can't jump while walking. Maybe it has to do with drivers? I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I'm probably going to return this board and get a new one since this probably is a hardware issue. Any suggestions on anything that's similar?

the jump works just fine

I used to play WOW with the same keyboard. I used q e z x c r f v 1 2 3 4 5 poo poo/ctrl for abilities while pressing w a s d and jumping around to look cool.

Never had an issue with ghosting.

edit: vista 32bit, and I have logitech uber options installed

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Not Female posted:

I too really wanted this keyboard and went to Best Buy to go pick one up yesterday. Exact same shift+w blocking space issue. I run Windows 7 x64, and I tried in Half-Life 2 first with Logitech's SetPoint software installed and then without.

Some guy on another forum that I can't remember when I was poking around yesterday (i.e. not the best source of information) said that the UK version of the keyboard is fine, the blocking only occurs on the US version.

I already returned it but I sent an e-mail to Logitech support anyway. I might try ordering from someplace that would have a more recent lot if there are different versions of this keyboard around.

I bought mine from best buy in california about a year ago.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

VectorSigma posted:

You people with both the ghosting and non-ghosting Logitech Illuminated Keyboards should post your P/Ns so we can get to the bottom of this mess. If I knew what to look for, I'd grab another in a heartbeat.

P/N: 820-0012-68

PID: L2847BD

model name: Y-UY95

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

GoldenNugget posted:

Yeah I returned mine because of this issue too. I was running Vista ultimate 64-bit and I guess that may be the issue. Nice keyboard but that was a major issue for me. I guess if they ever make a new one without this problem I might consider getting it for another computer.

I got a filco instead and while I miss the backlit keys, it's drat nice. At first I didn't notice the difference with the mechanical switches, but now using a work keyboard, the keys feel cheap, mushy, and shake around a lot.

I'm going to plug my keyboard into my 64bit laptop to end this nonsense.
code:
edit: WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW    WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW    
yep, doesn't block the space on vista 64bit

malefactor fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 14, 2010

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Nija posted:

That's not really a good test. Try using W A shift space. Moving diagonally and crouch rocket/pipe jumping. It's that extra character that throws it over the edge. Some might think that 4 keys at once seems a bit excessive, but it happens more often than you'd think. You could even throw in a 5th if you had a game where you could throw grenades and do all of the other actions.

I even found this little program to let me know everything it ok.

http://miaclan.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14401

W A S + SHIFT + CTRL + SPACE all at once. For some reason if I hit WASD + shift + ctrl + space it also activates "c."

I uses this keyboard to play lots and lots of computer games and I have never had a blocked key. Even in Wolrd of warcraft PVP using WASD + spacebar + poo poo + ctrl like all the time I never had any issues.

Currently using the keyboard to rocket jump in TF2 with no issues.

edit: tested 64bit laptop, exactly the same result.

It looks like many keys could get blocked, but WASD seem to be much much much harder to block and block WAY less other keys.

malefactor fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

GoldenNugget posted:

The Logitech Illuminated keyboard is super nice if you can get one without the Shift+W blocking space flaw. The guy who has the TF2 heavy avatar apparently has one. Many other people like me got one with the flaw.

Yep mine works but apparently I just got really lucky. Picked mine up from bestbuy a little over a year ago and I really like it. It replaced a G15 that died to water damage, and typing on this thing is so much nicer. The only thing that bothers me is that its not as good for "finger DDR" as the g15 was, its a bit harder to do some of the stuff that's only meant to use your fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNzeBjS_mCM

I played a poo poo ton of WOW on it and I used shift + qezxcrfv for key bindings with no issues.

In wow you regularly hit ctrl/shift + WASD + 12345 qezxcrfv if you hotkey properly and have lots of macros. I honestly had no idea keyblocking was an issue with this keyboard. My housemate picked one up shortly after I got mine and his had no issues either.

• Locked thread