Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker

Jetfire posted:

Are the Dell keyboards still in high demand these days? Pretty good key-feel for around ten bucks a pop, unless there have been developments in the "good basic and cheap" category lately.

Still my favorite keyboard. Good layout, USB hub, multimedia keys, no drivers required. For $10 shipped, how can you go wrong? I went from a G15 v1 to this keyboard, and I have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
Are there any other front printed keyboards out there besides the Filco Ninja?

I'm theoretically fine with blank keyboards, but in light of recent postings, something similar to the Ninja out there? (Mechanical)

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
Had the Filco Ninja Majestouch in my Amazon cart, ready to click buy, when I decided to go completely the other way and pick up a black/black Unicomp EnduraPro. From what I'm reading, they could be blank.

I guess I'll cross my fingers.

**edit. Paypal hosed things up, so I cancelled my order. I'll place it again on a credit card...but before I do, any input on Filco vs. EnduraPro?

NecessaryEvil fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 31, 2012

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
The Unicomp EnduraPro custom came in today.

Black/Black/Blank is nice, but I'd have preferred they be textured for the whole key like the top of the key and the chassis itself. Unfortunately, they're a glossy black on the sides.

The keys themselves feel great to type on. No idea how they'll do in gaming as far as key rollover goes, but if that's a problem, I can always toss in another keyboard if I need it. Since I'm doing less FPS games these days, I don't think it'll be that big an issue.

The chassis looks and feels very industrial...more function over form. I happen to like that philosophy, but if someone's looking for perfection, they may not like the subtle blemishes on the keys (from the molding process). The USB cable is on the right side of the keyboard, but the cable won't fit in the path, due to it being too thick.

The Trackpoint, I'm torn on. Unfortunately, it's not as...tight...as the Trackpoint in my Thinkpad, EliteBook, or Latitude. There's actual wiggle room before it starts moving. The keys themselves have a lot of travel before they activate. It reminds me a lot of the Trackpoint IV I used to have about a decade ago for the keys, although its Trackpoint was more firm. I found out it will take the classic dome caps that I have from my Thinkpad, but not the soft dome ones, as their hole is too large.

I've only been typing on it as long as this thread...but so far I really like it.

NecessaryEvil fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 15, 2012

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker

Thirsty Thursday posted:

I'm looking for a wireless keyboard with one or two USB ports.

It doesn't have to be amazing, but I would like something decent.

Anyone have any recommendations?

For that to work you'd need a minimum of 4 batteries just to provide 5V to USB. I don't even want to think about how much battery drain plugging things in would cause. I highly doubt you'll find anything.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
The Trackpoint really wasn't that important, but I figured if I was going to go ahead and buy a keyboard, I might as well splurge and go for the extras to.

Unfortunately, I use the Windows keys too much to be happy with the the M13. Sure, I could go back to remapping the right alt key as the Windows key...but since this is being plugged into a laptop, I'd rather not do that.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
I love my Unicomp, don't give a poo poo about Kentucky, and would buy that in a second it just had the Windows keys.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
If you don't need it to be mechanical, then Lenovo had a travel Trackpoint keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Steelcase Leaps are like £150-200 used here. That's a lot of money to spend on a chair that someone else has farted into 100 times.

Aren't computer chairs supposed to not have arms?

Good thing my Herman Miller Aeron gets farted through, not into.

• Locked thread