Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

This thread is just about to push me over the edge and have me finally replace my keyboard. It's been falling about for several years but it's served me well.

My top choices seem to be the Logitech G15 and the Das Keyboard. The Logitech looks "neat" but seems like it would fall apart and would be cheaply made.

The Das Keyboard seems like the truely "professional" or hacker keyboard. I could manage with the symbol-less version but I don't think my wife would appreciate that :)

EDIT: I guess the Deck keyboard is pretty sweet too...

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Ok, I think I might go with the Majestouch Tactile Touch NKRO. It's the same price as the Das Keyboard but I've heard about problems with the Das so I'm now afraid to order it.

Quick question though, what's the difference between the "linear" and "tactial" versions?

Also, are the switches in this keyboard the same as the Das Keyboard? Apparantly this keyboard (Majestouch) has "Cherry Brown Switches".

@TheQat: Is this the exact version you got? ($129.99)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

TheQat posted:

That is the version I got.

There's three different keyswitches available: Cherry MX Brown, Blue, or Black.

Thanks for all of that information.

I guess I would really need to try the different types of keyboards available to see the difference. It's hard to picture "feeling a small bump", etc. :)

Are there any cheap brown and blue switch keyboards available so that I could see the difference?

I also see a few IBM Model M's for sale (cheap) just to see what all the hype is about but they seem to have a lot of different versions, etc.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

TheQat posted:

I would say that the MX Brown (Tactile Touch) is the most like any normal $20 keyboard you could get anywhere.
So what's the benefit of the keyboard? It's over 6x the price of a $20 keyboard. :)

I wish I could just try them all out to see what I like...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I seriously doubt anybody cares but I just ordered a Majestouch Tactile Touch NKRO. Hopefully it will work out good for me!

I've also ordered a restored IBM Model M and a lightly used Dell AT101W just so that I have a few different things to try out.

I'm tempted to order a Scorpius M10 so that I can try out the blue cherry switches but I think I've spent more than enough on keyboards for the moment :)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody recommend me a keyboard?

* Wireless with great range
* Built-in mouse (touchpad)
* Relatively cheap
* In-between HTPC keyboard/remote and full-size keyboard.

Also, some what related, are there any keyboards that can be shared between multiple PCs? I don't want a full-blown KVM. I'd just like to share the keyboard between different USB hosts.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Synergy is definitely awesome (and I've used it in the past), but it switches control between machines when you move to the edge of your monitor, right? (ie. it pretends you have multiple monitors but they are actually on different computers)

Can you disable that and just switch between machines with a keypress or something?

EDIT: After skimming the docs it looks like you CAN bind a key to switch monitors. Very interesting... Now does anybody have any keyboard recommendations? :)

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody recommend a wireless keyboard/mouse (one device with device) that I can use to control my PC from my living room?

It will only be used to launch games (and then I'll use my wireless 360 controller) but I need a mouse and full keyboard in case I need to click something, etc.

Right now I have the Google TV keyboard which has a touchpad and keyboard but it doesn't have all the keys so it doesn't work that great.

• Locked thread