Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

It took some time to get used to, but I really love my Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard. For me, the layout of the keys is the most important thing; if it doesn't have the traditional Model M layout (plus Windows keys and whatever multimedia/extra functions), I'm not gonna use it. Another bonus is that MicroCenter routinely has the OEM version on sale for about $30, so if I need a replacement I can pick one up on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Squish posted:

I've always used $10 cheapie keyboards and I find that they have just the right amount of bounce in the keys for me.

My question is - what is the layout called, where the backslash key and the shift key are below the enter key?

lovely mspaint sketch:

So far I've never been able to give it a name, and instead have to rely on a clunky description like the above. I'm very experienced in destroying keyboards (hence my reliance on cheapies), and I'm down to my last one with this specific layout. (I hate using WASD for games).

I call that layout "wrong". :P

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

MasterWerk posted:

microsoft has a habit of doing that with their fkeys. i have a wired multimedia keyboard and the fkeys are the worst thing about them, along with the escape key. not only are they not conventionally spaced, they're little chicklet keys, so they're easily missed.

Yeah, the Fkey setup on my ergonomic keyboard 4000 is all jacked up and is the one thing I really don't like about it. It goes [Esc] [F1][F2][F3][F4][F5] [F6][F7][F8][F9][F10][F11][F12][FLock]. I use shortcuts that involve F3/F4 and some modifiers quite a bit and am used to them being the last two in that grouping, so having F5 thrown in there as well really messes me up.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

bloodynose posted:

One of the GeekHack dudes has been working on his own keyboard design for a while now. If this thing ever gets produced, its going to be amazing. http://www.guru-board.com/

I dunno if I could use one of those as my main keyboard, but it sizewise it looks like it'd be great to carry in a tool bag so you've always got a working keyboard with you. It'd certainly be better than those rubber indestructible keyboards that rollup and feel like you're typing on gumdrops.

• Locked thread