Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I just recently got a Filco Majestouch Tactile (Cherry MX Brown mechanical switches) and it is absolutely fantastic. I really don't like typing on anything else now. The activation travel is incredibly short--something like half the distance to bottoming out--which makes it really easy to hit small key combos like windows+D, alt-tab, or ctrl+alt+del quickly. But at the same time the feel of actually typing is great.

If you like easy-to-press, "soft" keys, imagine the easiest keys you've ever pressed, but with a completely sturdy, quality feel. There's absolutely no flex in the keyboard structure, every key feels exactly the same every time it's pressed--it's just a great experience all-around.

It has a tiny footprint for a 104-key, too, which I appreciate because I was hitting the left side of my old keyboard with the mouse frequently while playing games at low sensitivity.

My one complaint about it is the inanely bright blue LEDs for the num/caps/scroll lock lights--I've had to cover mine (with an old 2GB USB drive that I rarely use) because numlock was always bothering me out of the corner of my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Vinlaen posted:

Ok, I think I might go with the Majestouch Tactile Touch NKRO. It's the same price as the Das Keyboard but I've heard about problems with the Das so I'm now afraid to order it.

Quick question though, what's the difference between the "linear" and "tactial" versions?

Also, are the switches in this keyboard the same as the Das Keyboard? Apparantly this keyboard (Majestouch) has "Cherry Brown Switches".

@TheQat: Is this the exact version you got? ($129.99)

That is the version I got.

There's three different keyswitches available: Cherry MX Brown, Blue, or Black.

The Tactile Touch uses the Brown switches. The Browns have a slight bump (it is very slight) in the key travel as you pass the activation point, and like I said in my post, this happens some time before the key bottoms out in the tray. The keys take about 60 grams of pressure to activate, which is very little.

The Blue switches (termed "Tactile Click" on elitekeyboards.com) have the same activation pressure as the Brown switches (at least according to elitekeyboards), so they're very easy to press. However, instead of a slightly noticeable bump in the key travel indicating activation, they have a click like a Model M keyboard would.

The Black switches (termed "Linear Force" on elitekeyboards) have no click or bump in the key travel, and I suppose they're activated only when you press them all the way down. They require 80 grams of pressure to activate, so they're quite a bit stiffer than the Blue or Brown switches (for reference, I think my Unicomp Model M clone requires 75 grams of pressure).

I've never seen a review of a keyboard with the Black switches, but they're presumed to be good for gaming because it would be more difficult to make accidental keypresses. Requiring even more pressure than my Model M clone sounded to me like it would make typing a bit of a chore, though.

To answer your other question, I think the Das Keyboard uses the Cherry MX Blue switches.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Vinlaen posted:

Thanks for all of that information.

I guess I would really need to try the different types of keyboards available to see the difference. It's hard to picture "feeling a small bump", etc. :)

Are there any cheap brown and blue switch keyboards available so that I could see the difference?

I also see a few IBM Model M's for sale (cheap) just to see what all the hype is about but they seem to have a lot of different versions, etc.

I can't speak to the Model Ms, but I don't think there are any cheap Cherry switch keyboards out there, unfortunately. They're just much more expensive to make than other boards.

I would say that the MX Brown (Tactile Touch) is the most like any normal $20 keyboard you could get anywhere. The activation bump is really hard to notice under any normal circumstances and it's really mostly characterized by the fact that the letter appears on your screen before the key travel is finished. Also, like most normal keyboards, it's pretty quiet. It will still take some getting used to because the touch needed is so light and the keys are so responsive, but it only took me a few days to love it.

If you already know you like clicky keys, go with the Blue switches. If you hate making typos, I guess, go with the Black.

Incidentally, you can see the switches in action (for whatever that's worth) and hear them (worth a lot more) here http://www.viddler.com/explore/HotHardware/videos/69/

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Vinlaen posted:

So what's the benefit of the keyboard? It's over 6x the price of a $20 keyboard. :)

I wish I could just try them all out to see what I like...

It's the most like any $20 keyboard in the sense that it doesn't have a clicky response (Blue switches), nor does it take 80 grams of pressure to activate the keys (Black switches). Naturally, it couldn't be further from a $20 board in terms of quality :) So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are used to $20 keyboards and you have to buy a Filco board blind (i.e. without having used one), I'd get the Tactile Touch.

emdash fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 22, 2009

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

The Aftershave posted:

I ordered this (Filco Majestouch Tactile Touch in Italian Red because I don't like having any money) a little over a week ago and it just arrived today. So far, I love it. I've only had it for an hour though, so that's not much to judge it by. I had a classic G15 before, but I couldn't stand how much space it took up on my keyboard, especially since I hadn't bound a single macro key since I had first got it, and it seemed like time to replace it after the paint started wearing off.

Urghghg I wanted to get the red. Couldn't justify it in the end :( I have a red Esc key but I'm afraid to try to take off the black one!

Hope you enjoy the keyboard, in case any of my posts about it in here influenced your decision. I like my black Tactile Touch more all the time. It's incredible how the touch is so light and at the same time the keys have so little wobble and feel so precise every hit. Plus, the tray is so solid, with no give or flex whatsoever.

I'm having to use a Keytronic at work--not really a bad keyboard by any means, and probably the best of the rubber domes--but at this point it just makes me wish I could afford a second Filco for the office.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I've had my Majestouch with brown switches for about six months now and I still love it. Keystroke quality hasn't degraded at all and I keep getting more accurate. I really look forward to typing with it every day, which is a new concept after over a decade of $15-30 keyboards and not really liking the Model M clones that much. It's also a pleasure to look at--the design has so little wasted space and the minimalism of it is rather nice.

Now that I think about it, the only caveats are 1) that the blue Num/Caps/Scroll LEDs are so bright (just one can cast a huge circle on the ceiling of my office--six feet up from the board) that I've found it necessary to cover them and 2) I probably make fewer typos than ever, but when I make them they tend to be big because the high sensitivity of the keys lends itself to hitting more than one at a time. A spare USB thumb drive does the LED-covering honors for me and as for the typos, I just consider them a reason to get more accurate.

emdash fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 31, 2009

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

headcase posted:

The main difference is you don't have to hammer the key against the bottom and squash a rubber membrane in order to get them to activate. It activates before you hit the bottom. That extra effort at the end is more taxing than you might think.

You don't have to hammer the Cherry Browns to get them to activate--their activation point is at like 1/3rd of the total travel. They just don't have a click like the Blues

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I put a spare USB flash drive over my LEDs. Sort of mars the beauty of the keyboard but oh well. The LEDs are really distracting out of the corner of your eye.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
You might be feeling the activation point of the brown switches.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Where does one shop for these Choc Mini keyboards? I might be in the market for one. I see a bunch on eBay but I'm not sure if that's the best place

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It's ok torpor, I just bought a Choc Mini with reds for no real reason. I think I'm officially a collector now (already have 104- and 87-key Filcos with browns and a Unicomp Model M clone)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Got my choc mini with red switches . . . I really like it so far, although the spacebar is much lower than I'm used to and it's almost hard to tell if I'm hitting it. Love the space-saving, love the sorta goofy design of it, and I think I already like the keycaps more than the Filco caps

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
See if you can find an electronics recycler that sells to walk-in customers in your area. I work for one in MD and we have a poo poo-ton of those boards in pretty good working order

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gateron-switches massdrop has 120-packs of Gateron switches, in case anyone's interested

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
what do people in this thread use to clean their KBs? I mean besides the obvious air can to spray dust + detritus out of the tray

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Rexxed posted:

It depends how clean you need them. When I buy an old keyboard that's grungy I soak the keys with dissolving denture cleaning tabs for a while (overnight usually) and sometimes the plastic case too if it's bad. This gets most of the gunk off. For the plate and switches if there's stuff that stays stuck on, rubbing alcohol and q-tips with some elbow grease seems to clean it up. If you had a spill and there's poo poo in the switches either replace the switches or go with some DeoxIT or other electrical contact cleaner.

For the every month or so clean I usually just wipe the keys down with some moist paper towel and then use air in the gaps and/or a dustbuster vacuum.

Ah yeah, I was interested mostly in the latter part. Curious if there's anything that helps take off skin oil without degrading the plastic (and before anyone gets into the cheeto dust jokes, yes, I keep my hands clean)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Cool, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://techreport.com/news/28415/topre-latest-keyboards-are-colorful-sensitive-to-pressure topre has prototype keyboards with pressure-sensitive keys (think analog vs digital on a console controller) as well as adjustable actuation height

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
going in for one of these weird ortholinear things on massdrop. can't wait to see what it's like

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I'm curious, does the estimated ship date show as 30 October for you as well?

Yes, it does--I imagine that's the worst case scenario that Jack imagines, but I'm not sure.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
So thinking about getting an ergo mechanical because I'm typing a ton for work and starting to feel the impact on my wrists/hands. It seems like the best options are the Matias and the Teck. I'm leaning toward the Teck; i don't really care about the split format of the Matias and it's got a few reviews online saying it's got flaky switches that often start to repeat. Ergodox a distant possibility but i'm not interested in building one.

Any opinions from the thread on this? Anyone own and enjoy a Teck, or hate it?

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 18, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i bought one because it looks beautiful and i have no self-control :shobon:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
massdrop has an snes-themed keyset up right now. expensive though https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-snes-keycap-set

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

aerique posted:

Any guilty pleasures in this thread?

My most used keyboard is actually an Apple iMac keyboard A1243 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Keyboard#/media/File%3AApple_iMac_Keyboard_A1243.png). I've been using it for years at work and I'm planning to start using it at home again as well (without numpad).

This while I've tried all kinds of keyboards over the years (cherry switches, columnar layout etc.).

I've forgotten how I started using it since I've always been using Linux PCs and have no feelings towards Apple.

i actually love the stupid logitech internet 350 keyboard, if there's no other option available

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
what options are out there for mechanicals with low-profile keys?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/pulse-...y%20Promotional

this thing is real pretty (and it is flying off the shelves so to speak. 23 in just the last five minutes)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

niss posted:

Def looks good, so glad it is SA as well.. pretty excited about it. Will be my first custom caps for my Pok3r.

i got the base kit for my ducky shine (3? 4? i can't remember) TKL with red switches :)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Zigmidge posted:

Anyone have experience with Mattias switches they'd like to share? Massdrop has a mini up right now that looks neat. I'm interested in the clicky version.

they're supposed to be like ALPS, so if you've ever used a Dell AT101 keyboard you'll have the idea. that being said, drat you for pointing this out, i don't need another kb :negative:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/ might be good, but i've never used it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
matias typing satisfaction confirmed, i got the 60% matias clicky and it is just lovely. i haven't been this enthusiastic about finding excuses to type on a kb since my first cherry board

Caveat: I don't own a topre

emdash fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 23, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
people are trending toward stiffer keys in general, it seems to me. 45g is pretty light . . . but i love all three of my brown switch boards

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Endless Mike posted:

So I have a Logitech K400, which *should* meet my need of "keyboard and trackpad I can use on my couch" problem is that it's range seems to be something on the order of 2-3 feet with line-of-sight. I've even noticed it only likes certain angles, and even then, it seems like it's having trouble and moving the cursor can be choppy. Needless to say, this is not ideal. Is this just a case of a lovely receiver or am I getting interference by putting it in a USB 3 port? I'm not sure my case even has USB 2 ports if that's the problem. I assume this isn't normal for something they advertise as for TVs.

I just had this problem and it was solved by unplugging other usb3 devices (a thumb drive in my case) adjacent to the nano receiver. In my case I kept the nano on the front of the case and moved the thumb drive to the back

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g610-orion-brown-keyboard logitech g610 with 104 cherry switches, media keys, volume roller, no fugly lights or anything. $120

emdash fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 17, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Djarum posted:

Looks like non standard keycaps again in the Logitech way.

Yeah it might be. The profile shot looks different from most and some of the keys might be a different size

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
He probably meant rgb backlighting

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
what's a good option for a standard 87-key with clears and double-shot PBTs? doesn't need to have backlighting. build quality is my only priority really

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Geirskogul posted:

If you don't know the love of doubleshot ABS thwacking down on the baseplate of a keyboard, fighting against the spring pressure of green switches, making a horrible, satisfying, agricultural racket like the shifter of a Soviet military dump tuck, then I don't know what else to say.

this, but also with buckling springs

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dr. Quarex posted:

It comes in this box

Ever since I read about the Gray Goose guy's "take any product and market it as superpremium and people will buy it" life story, I have had an appreciation for anyone with the chutzpah to just say "hmm...hey, here is a thing you can buy for $10, but I am going to charge $100 for it because this is a LUXURY version."

Whale Penis Leather CTRL Key, $50,000

you didn't rotate that photo, did you

it's intentionally at an unappealing angle trying to appear artsy, isn't it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

AbbadonOfHell posted:

I promised a completed pic of my keyboard so here it is. :D

:yeah: that's pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lungboy posted:

No specific budget at the moment, but paying over £100 for a keyboard would probably give me a heart attack. I really don't need all the flashy lights and programmable doohickeys, just nice keys and some kind of backlight so I can see what's going on in the dark.

I'd prefer a UK layout unless utterly impossible to get one, I'm too old to try and learn new things, although the larger left shift of US boards is rather nice.

e: clears are linear aren't they? I'm 99% sure I want tactile. If i can find somewhere nearby stocking clears I'll give them a go.

clears are tactile bump with higher activation force than browns

• Locked thread