Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Boris the Blade posted:

Looks like IBM is coming out a new external ThinkPad keyboard.

http://lenovoblogs.com/designmatters/?p=2364

Yes, we know, it has been posted at least 3 times so far in this thread.

...and I have to say, I've got a raging hardon for it. I think it will be my next keyboard. Right now I use this tiny Adesso keyboard. I like 'em compact!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Those had a trackpad. I had no idea they made this one.

You missed this post from page 2 and this post on page 3 .

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

El Grillo posted:

I picked up a cheap rear end Advent wireless keyboard in Currys a while back, it's come back to bite me as the micro-reciever can't deal with the distance between the front of my desk (the keyboard) and the back (the back of my PC). Can anyone recommend one of the cheaper Logitech/other wireless boards that have a decent range? I'm thinking one of the Logitech k230/330/370 etc. range but need to confirm that they actually work.

Cheap-rear end solution to a cheap-rear end keyboard: do you have a USB port in the front of your case? Or try getting a short USB extension cable (interesting to note that most wireless Logitech mice I've bought come with such a cable).

buildmorefarms posted:

Have recommendations changed much in the gaming-keyboard arena since the OP? I recently purchased a das pro (w/ red), and have quickly come to the realisation that while it's nice to have a new keyboard at home, it'd be a waste to keep it there because I do almost all my typing at work. That, coupled with the fact that my home use is almost purely gaming (and I find the resistance on the das annoying when holding down W for ages) means I'd like to grab a new "gaming" keyboard.

Preferences:
- doesn't take much force to depress/keep a key depressed
- very basic media keys
- macros I can take or leave, never really bothered previously
- I can't ever remember forgetting where WASD is, so the highlighting isn't necessary - same goes for backlit keys/LCD displays. Can't imagine I'd get much use out of any of them

My current keyboard at home is a diNovo edge - I like the minimal travel; I use a bog-standard HP keyboard at work and don't mind that either, so the travel distance is really an issue.

Recommendations gratefully accepted (or if the OP is still on-base, I'll refer to that)!

This might be tricky as my understanding is Cherry red switches have the least resistance of all mechanical keyboards, so yeah combined with your desire for short key travel I think something with scissor-switches would be best. Unfortunately there really aren't a whole hell of a lot of quality keyboards with scissor switches from what I've seen. Maybe Lenovo's standalone USB Thinkpad keyboard?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

buildmorefarms posted:

Sorry, I should have qualified that I certainly don't require a mechanical keyboard for the home/gaming use (showing my ignorance here - I assume my diNovo isn't mechanical in the das sense. The logitech G15 et al models in the OP - my understanding is that they're not high on the resistance scale (or am I just painting myself into a corner here?), and if so - is the listing still accurate/current? I certainly still see the models for sale at places near me, so I really might be making something out of nothing here!

Eesh, little confusion here. I wasn't suggesting a mechanical keyboard, scissor switches are what's typically used in laptop keyboards (more info here). You said you don't like the resistance on your Das Keyboard, which has keyswitches known for their lack of resistance. You do enjoy your Dinovo for its short key-travel. Near as I can tell, the Dinovo is a scissor-switch keyboard. So, all in all, it sounds like a keyboard with scissor switches is what you want!

I really can't speak for the various gaming keyboards posted in the OP, and you likely are painting yourself in a corner by focusing on gaming keyboards. You don't need a gaming keyboard just because you play games, and it looks like you aren't even particularly interested in a number of the features gaming keyboards typically offer.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Is there a Microcenter anywhere near you? They've got a decent variety of mechanical keyboards, you should be able to give a few different keyswitches a whirl. I just can't see those test switch bundles really helping too much in getting to know the feel, but that might just be me.

You can probably get o-rings for less elsewhere, find out what size and style you need and look it up on someplace like McMaster Carr.

• Locked thread