Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

ChewyLSB posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but...

So I recently (3 months ago) switched to the Dvorak keyboard layout, and I'm loving it. I've almost regained my original typing speed (120 wpm) and everything is going great.

However, when I got back to school, I realized something. On some programs, namely, command prompt and Cygwin, no matter what I do I can't change it to dvorak. I guess this makes sense, since I'm using the language in windows, and all that that probably does is re-interpret the signal as it's coming in, and Cygwin and the command prompt probably completely ignore that.

I was wondering if there was anything I could do (short of buying a hardware dvorak keyboard, which there don't seem to be many of to begin with) to fix this?

KeyTweak will let you remap every key, works everywhere as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Neenski posted:

I just got my Filco Majestouch, and I'll be damned if the keys don't feel just right. Not the mushiness of membrane keys, but not the clickety clack of mechanical springs either. I never thought I'd spend >100$ on a keyboard, but this is real nice.
The red ESC key just feels so classy too.

My only complaint is the blinding blue LED which some jackass decided would look great on the face of a keyboard. A note to keyboard manufacturers: When you can still see the LED under a piece of electrical tape, it's TOO loving BRIGHT.

I love my Majestouch, I got cherry blues, which are more clickity than browns if that what you got.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

One of the GeekHack dudes has been working on his own keyboard design for a while now. If this thing ever gets produced, its going to be amazing. http://www.guru-board.com/

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Twiin posted:

Alright, Model M buddies. My unicomp 103-key bit the dust sometime last night after a kitten knocked a full glass of coca-cola into it. Suggestions on a more interesting replacement that doesn't feel like a laptop? I don't think I've ever used a keyboard with cherry switches or any of boutique brands (except Das Keyboard, which I didn't really like).

Buckling Spring are just too much of their own beast.

I happen to love cherry switches, and Cherry Blues are kind of like buckling switches in feel, but lighter. Browns are a slightly different beast, as the tactile feel is there, but not so much audibly. In either case, Filco is the goto brand for cherry right now. They are relatively cheap, sleek looks, standard layouts, and n-key rollover.
There are a couple of other Cherry switches, but coming from buckling spring, I doubt you'd enjoy them. The biggest one outside of Blue and Brown is the Black, which is linear force activated, no tactile feel at all.

Depending on which Das Keyboard you used, you may have already used Cherry Blues, as that is what Das II is, but the first one was rubber dome.

Your other big switch players are ALPS and Topre, neither of which I have used yet, so this is just a collection of what I've seen around on them.
ALPS come in a couple different flavors. The ABS M1 keyboard comes with their simplified Black switches (simplified refering to a a simplification of the switches ALPS did some year back, the older more "complicated" ones are more sought after). It doesn't have NKRO, so it might not be the best for gaming, but its pretty cheap for a mechanical switch board if you wanted to give ALPS a try. I think the blacks it uses are closer to Cherry Browns than Blues.

Topre, which, like A Duck! said, are in the HHK2. They are a odd design, similar to a rubber dome, but with springs that cause an capacitance that does the actual activation, and a unique rubber dome cup that "snaps" causing a feel closer to mechanical.

tl;dr: If you want to try something new, go with something with Cherry Blue or Brown, ALPS White or Black, or maybe give Topre switches a try.

NickPancakes fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 30, 2009

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

FACKER posted:

I'm interested in the Filco keyboards as my first mechanical switch keyboard. I've been typing on the basic Dell keyboard for about 4 years now and was wondering how each type of switch would compare to it, if they even can be. I'd imagine the Cherry Blacks would be most similar.

Also, does anyone know of a place that has mechanical switch keyboards (not limited to Filco) on display? I tried the local Best Buy but had no luck there.

I don't know of any place stateside that would have a mechanical keyboard on dispay. Cheapy rubber dome logitechs and microsofts pretty much dominate every brick and mortar store.

I'm also not sure black is a good route for a first time mechanical. The linear force on them is tough on the fingers.

sotorious posted:

Difference between the blue and brown is the noise level? as in blue being louder?

Can you get these keyboards at any type of retail store? or do you have to order them? Also anyone that has ordered from there, what is standard shipping like 3 days?

Pretty much, from what I understand the Browns are also a little "lighter" in that they require slightly less force to activate.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

I just discovered the Filco keyboard, the black one with blank keys and no numberpad. I want to buy one right now. I've always wanted a keyboard without a numberpad.

Wish they made it with backlit keys though.

Why would you have blank keys and backlit?

Edit: If you wanted something similar but backlit, Deck makes backlit mechanical keyboards. They use Cherry MX "Clears" in the tactical variety, which are close to the browns in the tactile Filcos.

NickPancakes fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 4, 2010

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Ok, so I've read up on these mechanical keyboards and they sound pretty cool. Now, however, I've been made aware of the three different types of keys (Cherry Blues, Browns, and Blacks) and have no idea which kind I'd like more.

I've ruled out the Cherry Blue keys because I'm not a fan of keys with a super light feel, and all the late night typing I do would probably wake up MY GIRLFRIEND if the keys were clicky.

That leaves Cherry Brown and Black. From what I understand, they're pretty similar, except the Browns have a tiny bump in their travel for tactile feedback, while the Blacks have zero tactile feedback, so they travel completely smoothly all the way down, and they're a little stiffer than the Browns. What this means is that the Browns tend to be a little better for typing and the Blacks tend to be a little better for gaming. I do a lot of both. Hmm, what to do what to do.

Whatever keys I get though, I'll probably go for a Filco keyboard without the numberpad, with the red escape key and purple WASD keys. It's all kinds of nerd-awesome.

Browns are lighter than blues, blues are only "super light" in comparison to buckling spring. Blacks shouldn't even count as mechanical, the tactile feel is the main reason to go mechanical over rubber dome. And why would they be better for gaming, looks to me that browns are more popular for gaming because of the lighter activation force, you don't want to have to strain your fingers when gaming.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Cherry+switches+and+boards#Range+of+MX+switches+by+stem+colour

The cN measurement next to the keys is the activation force required.

Go blues if you like noise and browns if you don't, do not go blacks for your first mechanical keyboard. Don't worry about "light feel" if you're coming from rubber dome.

edit: VV - Glad I could help, haha.

NickPancakes fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 6, 2010

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

EnergizerFellow posted:

Nothing, AFAIK, is as heavy as the Unicomp/IBM Model M, which has a key press activation weight of ~70g. The RealForce is available in a 55g version (regular is a mix of 35/45/55g). The Cherry MX Blues weigh in at ~45g, IIRC.

What I'd really like Filco to do is make some boards with Cherry "Clears" (Which are actually white stemmed, but there was already a White I guess).
They are the same sort of feel as the Browns, but require more force than the blues. Deck makes some boards with them, but Deck boards are big and have an awful font. Gimmie a Majestouch Tenkeyless Otaku Clear plez Filco.

Edit: Apparently, if you happen to have a ton of cherry switches lying around like some of the GeekHack guys, you can hack together your own Clears. Take a Brown stem, and swap the Spring with a Black. Brown Stem + Black Spring = Cherry Clear, Black Stem + Brown Spring = Cherry Red.

NickPancakes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 8, 2010

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

Is the HHKB clicky? Noisy?

Tactile, not clicky.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Twiin posted:

Welp, my Filco with blue cherry switches arrived today, and I am in fact using it to type on right now.

These are pretty close to my impressions, I like the click, but after feeling the keyboard feel I would probably prefer a brown (or preferably a clear) based board.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

EnergizerFellow posted:

Honestly? I'd forget illumination and suggest a Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless with black or brown key switches. If you need the media functions, get a Griffin PowerMate.

And have you read "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George RR Martin?

Edit: I guess you were semi-on base with the good for gaming and not huge part, but those were the bottom two of his requirements.

NickPancakes fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 16, 2010

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Randuin posted:

Actually I was wondering, would my Filco be easier to clean than whatever I had before? (random membrane and scissor switch keyboards)

Probably, as you can simply pop all the keycaps off , which gets you to the tray where all of your dust and junk collects around the stems.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Can someone tell me if this Cherry board is Browns or Blues? Based on all I've read, they seem like browns. I love everything about this board except for the tiny spacebar and backspace key.

Pull a keycap? The colors are so named because the keystems are that color.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

The original eclipse is the mushiest goddamn keyboard.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

rivals posted:

I'm about to upgrade from using this Logitech Ultra X for 6 years (not the same board, but same model) to a Filco. I was leaning towards blue switches but couldn't decide. I came in to ask if anyone had suggestions about how to pick if I've never used one before but I found sound clips and reviews in the thread. I like the idea of the more audible clicks but it seems that most people who ended up with the blue here think that they would have been happier with the brown. $130 is a lot to blind buy a keyboard on so I'm being indecisive. I think I'm going to end up with the browns after this thread, though.

I wouldn't recommend Blues as a first switch for anyone unless they were coming from a Model M and would completely miss having a loud rear end keyboard.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

I'd love to see a cherry switch mod done to the G13 like Ripster on Geekhack did to a nostromo.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

GoldenNugget posted:

So I'm getting the impression that people here really like filcos and the cherry browns. Any drawbacks to filcos that should make me consider a different brand? From what I've read the leds are really bright and you may need o-rings.

Is the board bulky? How is the build quality? And do the keys have a coating that wears down?

The o-rings was just something that one of the GeekHack guys did to their flico with blues, its by no means needed or anything, those guys just like to try crazy things to see what affects the feel and sound of the switches.

The leds are really bright though, and the coating problem is a recent thing, might want to talk to the EliteKeyboards guy before you buy one if you're concerned about the coating.

If you want to try mechanical keyboards, Cherry Brown Filco is a great all-arounder.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Nesnej posted:

I'm not that much into the clickety-clackety keys, but I suppose this is the best place to ask anyway. is there a keyboard that fulfils the following requirements:
  • Corded. Screw changing batteries.
  • Has no numpad. I rarely use it and my desk is rather narrow, so I'd appreciate a bit more space to operate the mouse instead. Yet...
  • It shouldn't have a 'compact' layout i.e the arrow and insert-to-page down keys should be properly separated from the rest like on any desktop keyboard.
Is there even such a thing? Any suggestions are much appreciated, since my shift-keys are broken and using caps-lock and the keymap to avoid a probation due to improper capitalization is getting a bit tedious.

Filco Cherry Brown tenkeyless

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Geekhack is speculating blues, but no one knows yet, razer has been all over the place with what they are saying about it.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

kri kri posted:

Jesus its even deactivated, you cant even put your email in to be notified of stock.

lovely, it wasn't a few days ago.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

kapinga posted:

I believe cherry browns + o-rings on all the keys will get a fairly quiet keyboard, but I only have reviews in this thread to go on. The traits you're asking for are mutually exclusive to some extent.

There's more than just cherry switches. Topre are nice from my understanding, they are similar to a membrane keyboard, but with springs for each key, and the membrane is "snappy" when you depress it. Should be quieter than a full on mechanical switch, but no cheaper.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Any good tenkeyless keyboard that supports 4 or more key rollover for less than $100?

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

^^^
Sounds like you've never typed on a actual mechanical keyboard, your Saitek's 'clack' was from your key bottoming out, not a mechanical switch being activated. Saiteks are rubberdomes and feel like mush, not clean and tactile like a Cherry-switch based keyboard is.

Senator Woofington posted:

So what is the general opinion on das keyboard? I really wanted to get a filco but it appears they are discontinued :( . I miss my crunchy mech keyboard :(

I think people had some technical issues with one or some of the models before, but I think those have been ironed out. Still, if you wanted a filco, why not get a Leopold?

NickPancakes fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 9, 2011

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Nonpython posted:

I don't understand blank keys. Is it just so you can :smug: at the normals?

I think they look slicker, and I've heard people say it's also a good way to force yourself into touch typing, because why look down at the keyboard if there's nothing to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

HKS posted:

One thing I've noticed amongst mechanical keyboard users is that eventually they are split into three groups. You have buckling spring users, topre users, and cherry brown users. Cherry blue keyboards are like the gateway mechanical keyboard but in search of the perfect typing feel most people eventually find browns to be much better after you get over the cool clicky-ness. So perhaps you can try it out a bit longer and settle in to save re-purchases and selling headaches.

My times at GeekHack would suggest you have the 2 Cherry preferences backwards. Brown seems to be the gateway switch in my eyes.

• Locked thread