Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
i smash on a dell keyboard all day at work. many many sql scripts run on that thing. good action on the keys.

at home i use a microsoft digital media 3000 keyboard:

I really like it EXCEPT for the fact that the escape key is very recessed and hard to find without looking. i always hit the ~ key or the email key (which is now disabled). also, it's not backlit, so my nights of poop-socking in the darkness are filled with frustration as i try to find the right keys. really would love something das keyboard-like with backlit keys that isn't bling'd out. seems i either get awesome tactile key action, svelte form factors with mushy keys (this keyboard included), or super awesome gamerz keyboards. i already have a weird looking mouse (logitech g9) that I can't get rid of because of its awesomeness. i don't want a stupid looking keyboard too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
i bet it's comfortable as hell, though.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

THC posted:

my main complaint is that the F keys are evenly spaced, instead of being grouped in fours. They also have pictures on them while F1, F2, etc are printed above them in dark blue. So it's basically impossible to find the quicksave key without looking at the keyboard.

microsoft has a habit of doing that with their fkeys. i have a wired multimedia keyboard and the fkeys are the worst thing about them, along with the escape key. not only are they not conventionally spaced, they're little chicklet keys, so they're easily missed.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
the requisite best buy gift cards i got from the family allowed me to pick up a logitech illuminated keyboard. I typically like more standard keys, but i'm surprised that they actually pulled off a pretty clicky keyboard with such a thin frame. i expected your typical mushy laptop keys. It's a little tough to set my hands in the right place, but it's a very comfortable board and i'm really in love with the backlight.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Do you guys recommend buying a Unicomp or should I just get a Filco/Topre?

I actually came here to post about my new Unicomp 104. I really like the feel of this board, but it's god damned big. I wish I would have gone with the space saver model, which has the same buttons and layout but with a smaller form factor.

After typing on it, I'm unsure spending an additional $50 or so for a Filco board would give me any tangible gain. But it's loud and ugly, just like the keyboards I learned to type on. Coming from a logitech illuminated board, it's a transcendant experience.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Shinx posted:

I was doing some reading and just about to pull the trigger on a G15 until I read a comment mentioning NKRO. Soon afterwards, I got acquainted with all the different switches and cherries and companies and OH GOD, but I'm still left wondering what kind of keyboard I should get. I want something that will be good for gaming, especially games like GTA4 that cause problems with my current keyboard (helicopter flying). I'm kinda torn between the G15, the SteelSeries 7G, and the Saitek Cyborg, but I'm open to any other suggestions. Sorry if this was asked earlier and I'll go back and actually read the thread to find out.

Get a bad assed Unicomp Customizer. It's big, its ugly, but it's half the price of the steel series and typing on it is loving sublime.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Shinx posted:

Is it good for PC gaming though?

So far so good. I play Bad Company 2 and Starcraft 2 on it without any issues. The only thing I wish it had was a backlight because I'm a crap touch typist beyond the standard letter keys and the number pads. Symbols are out the loving window.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard fits the bill. It's wired and runs $80, but it's nice if you're into low profile keys.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
Razer's getting into the mechanical keyboard game: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-mechanical-keyboard-offers-backlit-pr/

could be a good deal. I do miss having a backlit keyboard, since I keep my office dark because I'm a neck beard-y troll who can't take direct sunlight.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
ugh... My son dumped a 44oz soda all over my desk and killed my keyboard. everything is fine except for the A,Q and Z buttons, which no longer respond at all. I took it as an excuse to replace my Unicomp Customizer (IBM Model M redux) with their Space Saver model. Same Buckling Spring keys but with a smaller form factor. The customizer was great, but it was a little too big for my tiny space.

I almost bought a Filco Tenkeyless board, but couldn't justify the price when the Unicomp boards are brilliant to type on at half the price. Also, this lovely oem HP keyboard is like being punished.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

redeyes posted:

Unicomp Model M's do not get enough love in this thread :(

Preach. I had a Unicomp M that fell victim to a spilled can of Diet Dr Pepper. I'm now rocking a righteous Unicomp Space Saver. It's awesome, and the proper-assed 80's beige and brown color scheme says "serious business."

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

NOG posted:

Replacing help with eject was probably the smartest move seeing that they use the same machines that made the original Model M's. I guess it's too bad they couldn't make it exactly the same with buckling keys, but I'm indifferent.

Also, what Apple Model M elitist would need a help key? :smug:

Let 'em hate. That keyboard is bad rear end and you can drown them out with the clicking and clacking of your buckling spring keys. :snoop:

I wish Unicomp made a tenkeyless model with the buckling springs. I'm finding that I'd be happier with that profile, though the loss of the ten-key pad would be tragic.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
I just impulse bought one of the leopold tenkeyless boards. I'm super excited to have something that better fits my desk and hand spacing.

I'm interested, though, to see if I like the browns compared to the buckling springs I'm using on my current keyboard. I also bought some replacement caps from elite keyboards. They said they'll fit the leopolds. They god drat better.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
I received my Leopold tenkeyless in the mail today. It came with browns and I'm coming from a Unicomp spacesaver with buckling springs. At first i really didn't like the browns and it felt squishy compared to the sharp snap of the springs. But after typing on it for a bit, I really like the lighter touch. The action feels really really good.

If I get another keyboard with Cherry switches, I'll probably go with blues, but this is good enough. My wife will be very happy that it's so much quieter. Also, the red escape key looks sharp.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
I killed my leopold last night. dumped a small bowl of worchestshire sauce on the enter key area. I flipped it over right away and emptied the bulk of it, but in pulling off the keycaps, I yanked out one of the side pieces for the shift key that connects the keycap to the metal bar.

I don't know if I can repair it. It is a sad, sad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Tedronai66 posted:

I'm pretty sure you can re-seat those (I dont have a leopold to go by), if the side pieces are anything like the ones that a space bar stabilizer goes on.

I was able to mostly get it back together. I don't ever use the right Shift key so it's ok. The keyboard is once again functional for the most part. However, the enter and Ctrl keys are very sticky. Any advice on how to safely clean these switches?

• Locked thread