Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Anybody try the Kensington 'Keyboard for Life'? It looks to be exactly what I want: zero-frills, laptop-style, high-quality, classic IBM 101/104 layout, wired, black, no bling.

http://us.kensington.com/html/4812.html

Why is such a beast hard to find? The HP Wireless Elite Desktop Keyboard is basically what I'm looking for, but it's wireless, unfortunately.

such a nice boy posted:

I wish more keyboard manufacturers would include the trackpoint, but I guess IBM has the patent. It's the perfect input device for people who hate taking their hands off the keyboard.
Speaking of, Lenovo (finally) updated the UltraNav USB keyboard to the latest design from the ThinkPad T400s, as was mentioned earlier. I own a couple of the original USB UltraNav keyboards (IBM branded even) and they are drat awesome. They also removed the trackpad (gently caress those things).

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...217E34D281CCDD9
http://lenovoblogs.com/designmatters/?p=2364

Now they just need to release a Bluetooth version with a micro/mini USB connection so it can run in 'wired' mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

japii posted:

Are there any wireless versions of those? Seems like it would make the best media center keyboard.
You would think that, but no. Even in the Lenovo blog launching the new keyboard everybody was like "Awesome. Now where is the bluetooth version?"

As for touchpad and bluetooth/wireless, the only stuff i know of are the following:

Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro (meant for the PS3, but is a generic HID device):
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/keyboards/devices/3616&cl=us,en

Logitech DiNovo Edge ($$$):
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192&cl=us,en

SolidTek 3462 or 3962:
http://www.solidtekusa.com/Bluetooth-wireless.htm

Adesso (various, proprietary 2.4 GHz):
http://www.adesso.com/products.asp?categoryid=7&subcatid=55

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

plester1 posted:

I have an Ultra-X also, and its my favorite keyboard. Its flat as hell, doesn't have any weird layout issues, and has really high quality scissor-action keys (on par with Thinkpad keyboards).

Its the best if you're a weirdo like me and actually like laptop style keys on your desktop.
Too bad the Ultra-X seems to be NLA from Logitech these days, though you might get lucky finding some NOS units kicking around.

While full of bling, the Targus AKB04US sure looks to be using the same internal hardware as the old Logitech Ultra-X. I'll even put in $10 on that bet.

http://targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=AKB04US

Another laptop-like option is the Macally Icekey in either black or white. Ostensibly a Mac keyboard, it will work just fine in Windows, even the extra function keys.

http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=147

SwissCM posted:

I use a basic Dell keyboard:

Been using it for over 3 years now and it works excellently. Pretty easy to clean too, the keys pop out easily and are simple to put back in. It's completely no-frills and that's how I like my keyboards.

The family PC uses a Full-Size Mac keyboard, despite it using WindowsXP. It works very well actually.
The humble little Dell base model OEM keyboard does manage to impress, I have to agree. Not a bad little keyboard, considering.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I was incredibly surprised that I could enjoy typing on what's essentially a laptop style keyboard. Coming off of years of Model M and original logitech G15 usage, the lower travel wasn't something I thought that I'd like.
Yep, same here. I even stocked up on Model Ms back when they where relatively cheap new, yet they are collecting dust in my garage and can't convince myself to sell them.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

modeski posted:

Alrighty, after much deliberation I've just ordered the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Thanks for the advice, all.
So how you liking yours? I bought one and it's just as good as the Lenovo. I really appreciate the steel slab they put in the keyboard to weight it down.

For those wanting a wireless version, check this out:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FB55GC

japii posted:

Just as I'm about to pull the trigger on an Apple BT keyboard, Microsoft announces this:

Click here for the full 2000x883 image.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/microsofts-bluetooth-mobile-keyboard-6000-barely-thicker-than/
Anybody buy one of these yet?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

modeski posted:

got a chilled-out Dutch dude
:420: :350: :420:

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Looks like SIIG just launched an Alps-based mechanical keyboard with 'silent' linear keys. I tried one other the other day and it feels very much like the old Dell QuietKey keyboards. Big enter key, sadly. :(

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=JK-US0112-S1

Another one I stumbled on is the Ione Scorpius M10. Looks to be a cheap Chinese keyboard that uses Cherry Blue click keys.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UC1W3C

Odnet posted:

What wireless keyboards even have that? I haven't seen that listed on any of the boxes of the 30 or so keyboards I've looked at. Searches on Google and Newegg bring up nothing. Any specific models? What's pissing me off right now too is that everywhere I go, I can't buy just a keyboard that is wireless. Everything is a "wireless desktop" where I have to pay for the inclusion of a lovely mouse.
I doubt anything out there does. If you've got a hard-on for wireless, try the Logitech diNovo Keyboard for Notebooks:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FB55GC

Since you're gaming, I recommend ditching wireless all together. If you want laptop-style scissor keys, get a Lenovo ThinkPad USB or Logitech Illuminated. For classic keys, go Unicomp Customizer or Das Keyboard Professional.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

sotorious posted:

Can you get these keyboards at any type of retail store? or do you have to order them?
There's the SIIG JK-US0112-S1, which Frys and Microcenter seem to carry. It's an ALPS 'silent' mechanical keyboard.

Looks like Microcenter started carrying the Das Keyboard Professional too (Cherry MX blue).

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 2, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

sotorious posted:

Hmm I heard those Das keyboard dont have that n-roll feature, or it isnt as good, i was planning on going to microcenter tomorrow. I really have my heart set on the filco. i will see.
Those keyboards in retail will give you an idea if you like ALPS or Cherry keyboards. You can always buy something nicer online and return the retail one.

Twiin posted:

I will be honest with you, the idea of getting a keyboard without a numpad scares the poo poo out of me.

modeski posted:

I'm with you on this. With the noble exception of my Spectrum 48k (with the rubber keys). I've never used a keyboard without a number pad, and the idea of doing so now fills me with some kind of primeval terror.
You guys own laptops, right?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

A Duck! posted:

Communists, all of you. I'm just so used to a VI style editor, and a billion hotkeys from Solidworks et al, that I can't think of the last time I used a tenkey. Or even the 2x3 home/end/page rows.
These days all I ever use the numpad for is IP addresses or the occasional phone number in my Outlook contacts. If you did a lot of finance work I could see the need for 10-key, however.

If it bothers you that much, the Realforce 87U Tenkeyless does have a 10-key overlay feature when you hit the numlock key (same on Kinesis Advantage, Lenovo ThinkPad USB Keyboard, virtually all laptops).

I will say I extensively use the 3x2 navigation keys and the various vertical arrangements out there bother me to no end. Only variation I've ever found acceptable was the ThinkPad-style horizontal cluster in the upper-right you see an professional laptops (Lenovo ThinkPad, Dell Latitude, et al.).

A Duck! posted:

The easiest way to explain it is the Das keyboard is made by a marketing company, who were one of the first to really mass market pimp mechanical keyswitches/blank key caps again. Which isn't to say it's a poo poo keyboard, just you're paying for the cool factor and less for any solid construction.
The piano black polished finish and blue LEDs say it all, really. BLING BLING YO.

I will give them credit where credit is due, however, for showing that high-end mechanical keyboards are a financially viable business (again). Side thanks for the guys over at [H] and like forums for buying them too.

If you want gritty technical details on the Costar-build boards (Abs M1/Filco Zero/Das III), check out this thread:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:7122

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 2, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Bonobos posted:

I am trying to find a modern equivalent to the Model M I used to use. Does not have to be noisy, just has to have the tactile feedback. If this is will feel like my Model M, I'll just pick this up.
If you want a Model M, they are still being made, new today. Complete with things like w/ or w/o Windows keys, TrackPoint, USB, black, etc.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html

What the hell are you guys doing not pimping Unicomp who owns the design and manufacturing rights to the Model M, complete with the original IBM tooling?!

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Bonobos posted:

I love the feel on those old keyboards, but they just look so dated, compared to the Filcos. Is there any similar feeling keybaords that look more modern? From what I read on this thread so far, I think blue cherry keyboards will feel most like the Model M, so maybe the Filco with blue cherries is the way to go?
Nothing, AFAIK, is as heavy as the Unicomp/IBM Model M, which has a key press activation weight of ~70g. The RealForce is available in a 55g version (regular is a mix of 35/45/55g). The Cherry MX Blues weigh in at ~45g, IIRC.

As for looks, retro is in, right? :c00l: ;)

Twiin posted:

I'm stepping down from a Unicomp after years of a Model M, and I ordered the Filco with blue switches. I'll post a trip report when it arrives.
Sounds like a plan. Let us know.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard that does the following:
- Illuminated keys
- Media controls, or at least good sound level controls
- Good for gaming (see ghosting issue below)
- Not huge so it fits nicely on a lap desk

The Sidewinder x6 seems to fit all of these points to a T, but then there's this ghosting issue. Since there's a few x6 owners here, have you ever encountered/had a problem with the ghosting? I'm not a hardcore FPS player so I think I'd never even have the problem, but I just want to be sure :shobon:
Honestly? I'd forget illumination and suggest a Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless with black or brown key switches. If you need the media functions, get a Griffin PowerMate.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

This is for gaming on a plasma TV, so mostly in the dark. I've seen the Filco keyboards and they're tempting, but that's 120$ + 30$ in shipping charges. Those keyboards don't have USB ports either, so if I wanted to follow your PowerMate suggestion, I'd have to run a third USB extension cable... so that's a no go.

I mean, at that price there's the Das Model S Professional (Media keys, USB hub) and the Deck Legend (backlighting) that are closer to what I want in features. Or even this for an affordable mechanical with a hub & excellent reviews.
Yeah, the using it in the living room kind of kills my idea as I assumed you where at a desk.

That i-rocks KR-6230 is a Cherry MX brown keyboard and pretty decent, though the layout is kind of funky and not backlit. The Deck is pretty good, actually, but the 82-key version doesn't have a USB hub in it and only available with Cherry MX black keys (i.e. linear). The Das Keyboard Model S Professional/Ultimate/Silent is probably what you want (minus backlighting) and supposedly all the Das' issues have been corrected in the latest production runs.

For the lulz factor, you know you want a giant battleship keyboard. :btroll:

quote:

Still, the X6 has most of the features and costs half the price.
Also mushy crap to type on and not so much quality.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

So I was thinking I'd get something that includes the following...

• wireless
  • Trackpoint or Touchpad
  • Not hugely shallow laptop-style keys

Any recommendations?
Doesn't exist. Lenovo has their ThinkPad USB with a trackpoint, but it's wired and exactly the same keyboard you get on a modern ThinkPad (very good keyboard, btw). For wireless with a trackpad, there are offerings from Adesso and SolidTek, but they're all laptop-style scissor mechanisms and cheap Chinese crap in general. Logitech diNovo is massively overpriced and scissor too. Logitech's "Cordless MediaBoard Pro for PS3" is probably the closest to what you're looking for (generic bluetooth HID, so works with anything).

Sour Fish posted:

How come all these mechanical keyboards hate having a volume and mute button? I want them. :(
Unlikely as mechanical keyboard fans are looking for things like this:

If you really need multimedia keys, use a macro application and/or the built-OS shortcut keys to get what you're looking for. Just feed a modifier key combination for whatever you need. ThinkPad USB does have audio volume controls though.

Charun posted:

Yeah you probably want a model M mini.
Good luck paying $$$ on eBay for one. An original used IBM Space Saving will run you $70+ and expect $180+ for NIB. Prices and rarity seem to be going up too.

quote:

ALPS White switches are probably the closest you'll get to a buckling spring thats not a buckling spring. Here's some models to look for (stolen from geekhack's wiki):
Filco FKBN87Z/EB (Zero) - Fukkas
Filco FKBN87Z/EB-Y (older model) -XMs
Matias Tactile Pro 2.0 - Fukkas
Solidtek KB-6600ABU - XM?
SIIG Minitouch (not Plus, Plus is rubber dome) - XM?

Donno which are minis though.

They still require a little less force to actuate though. The comedy option is the cherry green switches, which are even stiffer than the Model M. Unfortunatly there's no keyboards that use them outside of the spacebar. You'll have to do a diy spring swap on a cherry blue keyboard.
The Model M buckling spring from Unicomp/IBM/Lexmark runs ~65g. Cherry MX Blue ~45g, MX Brown ~40g. The Topre Realforce 87U Tenkeyless (see above) is available in an all 55g version.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 30, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Swilo posted:

Does Windows have something like this?
You're going to have to look into some kind of keyboard macro application, of which there are a number out there.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

my current Kensington Ci73 has been a disappointment.
Kensington keyboards have been such a disappointment overall. I threw away my last Kensington.

quote:

And some suggestions on a standalone, USB tenkey with scissor switch-type keys? I don't use it often enough to need it on my keyboard (the space is more valuable) but it'd be nice to have one around when I do.
Lenovo ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Does lenovo have plans on selling a wireless version of their thinkpad keyboard (with nipple)?
Yes, but it probably won't be around until later this year.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Mike the TV posted:

I have the curve and my roommate has the wave. The wave is way better. Like leagues above the curve. The curve is pretty good, but mostly because it's cheap. The wave feels better, but really shines with the rubberized wrist area which is extremely comfortable.
I haven't used the Wave myself, but that seems to be con the consensus on a few boards I've seen.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Randuin posted:

Haha, sorry for the confusion there. But anyway, are the topres that amazing? The money is less of an issue for me, but the lack of certain keys (Especially arrows) may be a deal sealer.
Topre Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Bonobos posted:

Between the Topre Realforce and the HHKB2, which is generally recommended as the best quality board? I like the compact form factor of the HHKB2, but the layout looks like it will just piss me off.

I hear nothing but good things about both these boards, and have yet to see someone prefer another keyboard over these. What do you guys think?
Only other boards that seem to be regarded as highly are the Unicomp Customizer/SpaceSaver/Eudorapro, i.e. new production of the classic Model M, Kinesis Advantage, or maybe the Cherry MX Brown Filcos, if you like light feel.

I also really wish that Filco would produce a tenkeyless board that has a Fn key numpad overlay like many laptops or the Topre boards. Now if only Unicomp would start producing the original IBM Space Saving Model M and/or the old industrial gray...

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 5, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Randuin posted:

Isn't 55g actually closer to Cherry Browns? I thought buckling springs were much heavier than that.

powderific posted:

Cherry browns are about 45, buckling springs are something like 75.

Off the top of my head, the weights are more like:
Unicomp/IBM/Lexmark buckling spring - ~65g
ALPS White - ~60g
Cherry MX Black (linear) - ~40-80g
Cherry MX Blue - ~45g
Cherry MX Brown - ~40g
Cherry ML - ???
Topre RealForce/HHKB - 35/45/55g, depending on model

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

KracKiwi posted:

I remember reading about a program a while back that would test a keyboard for multiple-key-press problems, does anyone know the name of it?

edit - durrr it's called KeyScan, and is shown in the Amazon.com video review of the Logitech keyboard.
You could also try this:
http://random.xem.us/rollover.html

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

What is the best place to order a Filco Tenkeyless Chery Blue? I think elite keyboards has been linked a couple times in this thread but they are all out of stock. Any other trustworthy places to order them from?
In the US Elite Keyboards is your only real option unless you feel like importing from Japan or Korea. Same for Topre, of which Elite Keyboards is the exclusive American distributor.

GreatGreen posted:

They probably like them because they look like robot keyboards from the future. Plus, they have that little screen on them that tells people stuff. Honestly though, I have heard that the screen is really useful, but personally I couldn't get past the way the keys felt.
Same opinion here. The Logitech G15 et al. are so bad it's almost comical. Why people keep buying that trash I have no idea. Not like it's even cheap...

quote:

And besides, it's not like any of these "pro, mechanical switch keyboards" are advertised anywhere in any form at all. Most people simply have no idea they exist. I certainly didn't before I found this thread.
If you want bad marketing, check out Unicomp, who owns the design rights and tooling to the original IBM Model M. The Das Keyboard guys are the only ones who seem to market properly and what they sell in the current third-gen model is just a rebadged Costar keyboard* (second gen was a Cherry G80-3000).

* Costar also manufacturers the ABS M1 and Filco Zero keyboards. Filco's Majestouch are made in-house.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

very posted:

I just want a thumbstick on a regular keyboard.
Depending on how you intend to use it, the new Microsoft Arc Keyboard may be what you're looking for.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/03/microsoft-arc-keyboard-hands-on/

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

It feels very different from every other keyboard I've ever typed on. At first, I wasn't sure if I liked it, but now, just a few minutes later, I think it's starting to grow on me already.
The first one is always free...

quote:

I expected the key travel to be a little smoother. It's hard to explain. It's like with each key press, I can feel the plastic of the key rubbing the plastic of the board itself, and the textures of both are just a little bit rough. [...] Will the feel of the keys smooth out over time, or do they stay like this?
It will get better as the manufacturing tolerances and casting flash will wear away over a few days/weeks.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

powderific posted:

I'm starting to think that the Cherry Blues are just not for me. If anyone has a Filco with browns they'd like to trade, or something similar, my Filco tenkeyless with cherry blues is basically new in box.
I've got a gently used black Cherry G80-3000 w/ browns in US ANSI if you're interested.

Pen Expers posted:

Has anyone used this logitech ultra-thin? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126043
Arguably the best non-Lenovo laptop-style scissor switch keyboard out there. The Lenovo you're looking for is the ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint. Another good option would be a Cherry ML-based keyboard (low-profile mechanical linear), such as the Cherry G84-4100 or G84-5000.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

weapey posted:

You only have 2KRO with the G84 series - or at least on my G84-4100. The keys feel nice but if you're playing an FPS I can hit 2KRO quite easily (moving a direction while changing weapon for example). I understand that the other keyboards in the G84 series have different keys (membrane?) to the G84-4100, although this isn't first-hand knowledge and is just something I think I've read somewhere (probably geekhack.org)

I'm assuming this might be important, as you were originally using a 'gamers' keyboard.
The Logitech Illuminated has plenty of rollover and keyscan (blocking) issues itself. In fact, I know of no scissor switch board on the market with true N-key rollover (or 6+4 over USB). If it's any consolation, even the vaunted Model M is only 2KRO.

As for the Cherry G84, they are all ML switches. There are other products, such as the J84 or G81, that use the same case as the G84 (i.e. look the same) but have different internals.

ufarn posted:

Have you actually used the ThinkPad keyboards? I'm reading widespread complaints about problems with capitalization
I own numerous ThinkPads, plus their respective external keyboards, (typing on a X301 right now) and it's the first time I've heard of the issue, even on geekhack, so take that for what it's worth.

GreatGreen posted:

The Filco keyboards w/ Cherry switches have N-key rollover, meaning you can press as many keys at once as you want, provided you use the PS/2 port.
They do make non-NKRO versions of the 104-key, but, AFAIK, all tenkeyless and Zero versions are NKRO.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_104key

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 16, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

...although a small, dedicated volume knob would be pretty neat. :)
Ask and ye shall receive (the Griffin PowerMate)...

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Lamquin posted:

This thread seems to like the mechanical keyboards, but sadly they don't seem to have a non-US layout for sale. Does anyone have any experience with keyboards that have a Swedish (SV) layout? Typing without the "едц" buttons would be a nightmare for me.

To specify; Many keyboard are available in Sweden, just not the more practical "Das Keyboard", Unicomp or Filco. This makes me very sad.
Unicomp (Customizer, Eudorapro, Space Saver) and Cherry (G80-3000, G84-4100) are the only mechanicals available, AFAIK, in less common languages. If I got my part numbers right, a Cherry G80-3000 with black, USB, Swedish, w/ grown switches will be G80-3000LQCSF-2 (G80-3000LSCSF-2 for blues, G80-3000LPCSF-2 for blacks).

If you're looking for a European retailer, try pinging The Keyboard Company and see what happens. They should be able to order in anything Cherry. As Cherry is German, probably a number of German retailers worth looking into. You will have to email Unicomp about a Swedish layout and international shipping.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

admiraldennis posted:

No, the ones we're talking about are all mechanical switch (your choice of cherry blue/brown/black)
And if you do want real-deal buckling spring, you can buy them new from Unicomp, who bought the design and tooling from IBM/Lexmark. Cheaper than Filco too.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Teledahn posted:

E2: Why Das is recalling the Model S Dang? I don't know what to think, as that article was posted in november, and claimed a new fixed version would be available 'mid-december'.
The recall program wrapped up a long time ago. Everything out there has the revised edition.

quote:

All I really want is a keyboard with cherry browns and a master mute button. Anything else would be nice but unnecessary. Anyone know of one fitting such a bill?
Use your tool of choice to remap a keyboard combination for audio mute, say ctrl+shift+q.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Shinx posted:

I was doing some reading and just about to pull the trigger on a G15 until I read a comment mentioning NKRO. Soon afterwards, I got acquainted with all the different switches and cherries and companies and OH GOD, but I'm still left wondering what kind of keyboard I should get. I want something that will be good for gaming, especially games like GTA4 that cause problems with my current keyboard (helicopter flying).
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Linear Force aka Cherry MX black.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Chexxum posted:

Anyone know what kind of switches the Cherry G81-1800 has? I've done some googling but I can't find anything :(.
The Cherry G81 boards use Cherry MY switches:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Cherry+switches+and+boards#MY

They are designed for point of sale (POS) use and rather crap to type on.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

McClanahan posted:

Does anyone know of a mechanical keyboard that uses the Sun keyboard layout?
Unicomp Keyboards owns the old IBM/Lexmark Model M designs and tooling and makes keyboards with various UNIX keyboard mappings that you're looking for. You can even get one with or without Windows keys, if you want.

Heads up that their Enhanced Quiet Touch boards are actually rubber dome, however. Make sure to get Buckling Spring.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Randuin posted:

I wonder which switches are in the Razer, I want a cherry brown (or equally light activation) that is wireless :(
I'll bet :10bux: on Cherry MX blacks. I highly doubt they will offer brown/blue/red options.

Jiblet posted:

There are however caveats involved...
- Quiet. Very quiet if possible. Noise is number 1 problem with my current keyboard.
- Split keyboard; a la Microsoft Natural. Or at least something that wont make my loving wrists BURN.
- Vertical home/end/page/insert block - it makes sense!:colbert:

Currently using a Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard, and as much as I love it, my coworkers bitch and moan about the clackity clack that comes from my desk when I get in the groove.

Betting no one can help me!
The Logitech Wave is a better keyboard for this. Then put it on top of one of those giant padded mouse pads.

For quiet, this is as quiet as you're going to get, so if that's still loud, try taking some depressants and settle down a bit. :)

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

The roll-up keyboards are kind of trash, too squishy too get any real typing done. The other one looks interesting, I wonder how well it actually works.
Very poorly. They are, arguably, _the_ worst keyboards in production today.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Goo posted:

brightness of the backlighting [...] blue
Blue lighting on PC components needs to die a horrific, fiery death. Not only does it look cheap and tacky, but it destroys night vision. Learn from the pro guys (submarines, law enforcement, etc) and use red. Maybe orange or low-lux green in a pinch.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

What I'd like to see from Logitech is something that's a love child of a Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch, an Enermax Aurora Micro, and Logitech Illuminated with Cherry MX blue/brown/black. Ideally, a traditional 104/105-key layout in tenkeyless format (i.e. 87-key) with the Windows right menu key (who uses that? seriously? Shift-F10 does the same thing) replaced by a Fn key to activate the tenkey overlay and media keys on F1-12 (ala Logitech Illuminated). That and for the love of god, don't use one of those "L" enter keys or single-width backspace keys. Make sure to offer both a wired and wireless version and market them under the same base name. Basically, a Logitech [Wireless] Illuminated with real-deal full-profile mechanical switches and tenkeyless w/ overlay. Market the Cherry MX switches as Pro (blue), Gamer (black), and Silent (brown).

Some other brands to watch out for in the mechanical keyboard space are Leopold (Strongman OEM) and Ducky, both of which are Korean-only so far. We'll see how quickly they internationally market.

For those wondering, Das and Deck are OEM rebrands of Costar and TG3, respectively.

Goo posted:

Blue is likely to stay, though, because we get a significant amount of unhappy feedback when we remove it. It was the most common piece of negative feedback we got on the orange-only G15.
Mostly from teenagers and/or from Korea/China I'm guessing? Those seem to be the worse offenders on the blue thing, near as I can tell. Even the HardOCP demographic has learned better. Vocal minority and all that (~5% of customer base, in my first-hand consumer relations experience).

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 17, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Illuminado posted:

I hope I'm not opening up a :can: of worms here, but am I the only person who made the switch to ESDF here and found it to be 10x better for every possible game imaginable?
ESDF is vastly superior and I've bee using it for like a decade. Wasn't the only reason WASD took off was because one of the big guys back on the Quake 1 days used it in a tournament?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

thooraxe posted:

Another question, how does the Unicomp keyboards stack up to the 1988 model M?
The exact same, only better because it's new, better feel from new springs and better plastics, and has things like USB. Unicomp bought up all the old tooling and design rights, so it really is the exact same.

• Locked thread